2021-22 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by ThePonchat, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Bannedagain

Bannedagain Member

Villareal
    Oct 24, 2021
    I could also see Kelly Farrell at Omaha being interested in the Oral Roberts position. She runs the Mavs program from top to bottom and keeps Wiley Walters in a job. Plus she sits in the sidelines at games with her hands clasped in the same fashion as the pearly arch you encounter at the entrance to the Golden Eagles campus. Definitely one worth looking at for a head position.

2. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Looking at Omaha’s record someone like Farrell could be at good fit for Oral Roberts. Successful as an assistant and ready to take the next step looking at their results the last few years. Knows the conference too. Never been to Tulsa but I would imagine it would have some appeal with being warmer than Nebraska.

Is there any insight on the Maryland position? I would imagine a lot of viable candidates will be interested but curious if they have a preference in the type of coach they are looking for: head coaching experience? Success as an assistant? Gender? Knowledge of the conference? Knowledge of the region? Playing experience?

Hammers05 repped this.
  3. Soccerguy1022

Soccerguy1022 Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Nov 28, 2018
    The little I have heard about Maryland, they have talked to a few HC’s so far currently at schools still competing with their teams in conference tourneys. Haven’t heard how the talks went yet, if I hear any updates I’ll be sure to add them

4. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Internal investigation and he was told to resign or he would be terminated is just understanding. Supposedly he almost took a DII job somewhere this summer but once they discovered there was an investigation underway they pulled the offer.

5. winwinchick

winwinchick Member

Celta Vigo
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    Hearing Villanova have interest in Ally Nick from NJIT.

6. Soccer365247

Soccer365247 New Member

Nov 1, 2021
    Interesting insight - thanks. I know and remember Brenda - without looking it up I am not sure who is there now. Coaching at any level is all about *teaching* and motivating. If you can't teach what your team needs to know, then the team will struggle.

7. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think the financial ramifications of covid have had an impact on a lot of the programs at that school. I heard they had an injury crisis but someone mentioned they fielded a similar team each game so perhaps these players were unavailable the entire season. These are just things that seem to have come out of the program this fall.

8. Soccer365247

Soccer365247 New Member

Nov 1, 2021
    thanks. i was the poster who mentioned that, per the game summaries, the lineup and roster was largely the same throughout the season. i'm unaware of any injuries that prevented other players from participating all season. it's a small, but proud program - i hate to see it struggling like that.

9. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Hopefully they turn it around next year.

10. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    ThePonchat repped this.
  11. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OPEN
    UK
    Maryland
    Austin Peay
    Tulsa (interim - Jim Rhein)
    Louisiana Tech (interim - Steve Voltz)
    Pacific (interims - Danesha Adams and JJ Wozniak)
    Troy (interim - Nicole Waters)
    Villanova
    USC Upstate
    Missouri State (retired)
    Idaho State
    Oral Roberts
    Morehead State
    Bellarmine

12. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Louisiana Tech took away the interim designation for Voltz.

ThePonchat repped this.
  13. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OPEN
    UK
    Maryland
    Austin Peay
    Tulsa (interim - Jim Rhein)
    Pacific (interims - Danesha Adams and JJ Wozniak)
    Troy (interim - Nicole Waters)
    Villanova
    USC Upstate
    Missouri State (retired)
    Idaho State
    Oral Roberts
    Morehead State
    Bellarmine

Filled
    Louisiana Tech (Steve Voltz - previous interim)

14. USsoccerguy

USsoccerguy Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any word on PFW? JB had to be on the hot seat going into the fall. Squeaked into the final slot of league tournament on a tie breaker, but a bad record. Curious how that will go.

15. Bannedagain

Bannedagain Member

Villareal
    Oct 24, 2021
    I think Burr is safe. Making playoffs is a sign of progress and that will help with recruiting. Plus, when he wears his khakis and loafers on the sidelines there are few coaches that can compete with his brand of stylishness.

I could see Erickson from UNI moving onto another program. He has achieved more than any other coach at that program and despite financial constraints has fielded a very good team. Plus with the further covid budget concerns the admins are concerned with the extra cost of him purchasing from the Big & Tall department.

16. winwinchick

winwinchick Member

Celta Vigo
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    PlaySimple and USsoccerguy repped this.
  17. USsoccerguy

USsoccerguy Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Progress"
    2014 - 2 wins
    2015 - 4 wins
    2016 - 3 wins
    2017 - 1 wins
    2018 - 4 wins
    2019 - 4 wins
    2020 - 3 wins
    2021 - 5 wins

But yeah, there should be a focus on game day attire...

Soccerguy1022 repped this.
  18. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Here is the press release → https://athletics.bellarmine.edu/ne...s-resigns-as-head-coach-of-womens-soccer.aspx

One of the classier press releases after a resignation that I have read. He gave a lot of credit all the way around including those that came before him.

Making the transition to a different division is never easy. Bellarmine took their lumps, as expected, but Tinius did a respectable job. I was a little surprised by his resignation but his quote at the end makes it seem as if he realized that he may have been a little out of his depth in moving forward. He left the program in decent shape and to his credit, he left the Bellarmine administration plenty of time to find a suitable successor. I hope the Tinius does well.

" It is not lost on me that I was afforded the opportunity to build on a wonderful foundation. I also think that is what we have in place right now for somebody to come in and take the final steps in this transition to Division I."

Hammers05 and USsoccerguy repped this.
  19. USsoccerguy

USsoccerguy Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. He did well there overall. Good man. Wish him the best.

Hammers05 repped this.
  20. Bannedagain

Bannedagain Member

Villareal
    Oct 24, 2021
    He's a dapper guy that Jason Burr.

21. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That actually does look like some progress, at first glance. If one looks more deeply, their opponents have gotten progressively weaker.

This is a good illustration of why one should not evaluate a coach based simply on winning percentage.

Fitballer and USsoccerguy repped this.
  22. USsoccerguy

USsoccerguy Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly right. Change to a league with a better geographic fit, but certainly a weaker league from opponents...Minus Milwaukee.

Thank you for expanding my point, CP!

Fitballer repped this.
  23. SmallSchoolGaffer

May 24, 2021
    he should focus on his team’s game day attire…supposedly They showed up to their conference tournament game without jerseys and had to write numbers in sharpies on the back of their white long sleeve warmups…embarassing.

24. Bannedagain

Bannedagain Member

Villareal
    Oct 24, 2021

Sounds pretty stylish to me. Starting a new trend.

Making the conference tourney I would think PFW will not be on the hot seat.