2021-22 England Referee Assignments and Discussion [EPL/EFL/Cups+][R's]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by code1390, Aug 1, 2021.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I freely admit that I'm essentially just throwing a dark horse name into the mix. There are obvious internal options with some obvious benefits.

But Geiger is more of a teacher by trade. Barkey is immersed in the VAR side of things. And I don't think Alan Kelly rising all the way to the top will fly. So there are also some apparent impediments to each.

Plus, don't underestimate the attitude that brought Webb (and initially Walton) here in the first place. If Webb can or would vouch for Cann (and Cann wants it) he become a very credible candidate because he'd be following Webb's path with Webb's seal of approval.

But yes, Cann would be a dark horse for several reasons.

2. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Recall it was initially Hackett who was recruited to set up the PRO system, which was based on his years running PGMOL that USSF and MLS wanted to emulate. He eventually declined the job, but recommended Walton an active EPL referee at the time, and also Rejer as the main instructor/assessor.

Webb added a much higher profile as a 2-time WC referee and of course having refereed the WC final.

Cann does not have the same high name recognition image at all. Yes, we know he was Webb's AR in the WC Final but for most other people he would be not recognized.

It is likely he would want the position. I heard that when Walton and Rejer were appointed, there were a dozen or more EPL/PGMOL people hoping to get one of those positions!

I would be amazed if he is offered the position. After 10 years of PRO and a successful system in place, the need for another PGMOL person no longer exists. There are plenty of local candidates who are more than capable.
    Also the recent record of the PGMOL is nothing to be proud of which is why they are getting rid of Riley and bringing Webb there to help to fix it and improve its image.

PH

3. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Community Shield

Referee: Craig Pawson
    Assistant referees: Harry Lennard and Nick Hopton
    Fourth official: Darren England
    Reserve assistant referee:
    VAR (Video assistant referee): John Brooks
    Assistant VAR: Lee Betts

4. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    SFP call by Stuart Attwell in his Conference League qualifier (1R) this week, Differdange vs. Olimpija Ljubljana. 1:10 on the below video.

5. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Likelihood he gives that in England?

Thegreatwar repped this.
  6. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    Us being anachronists par excellence, FA's teaching as per lunging tackles hasn't really moved on from mid-2000s era in FIFA/UEFA (-> always RC). Also PGMOL too. But the general-kind-of we only want 110% SFPs being given as RCs in PL attitude in that organisation means that a yellow card would be quite likely I think.

Thegreatwar and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  7. allan_park

allan_park Member

May 15, 2000
    Mikael, hmm, I'm not sure.

I think we share the same view, and concerns, about the way SFP is being judged in EPL these days but, to be honest, I think even in EPL Attwell is going red there.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  8. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    Maybe tbf! I guess Attwell might (perhaps even, would) in addition to some others, and most wouldn’t, is probably my view. Though I wonder if such a tackle would really occur in PL, too.

9. allan_park

allan_park Member

May 15, 2000
    I agree - on all counts!

10. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why my question was genuine, though I can see it might have come off as sarcastic.

The classic “two-footed lunge” seems to be the only thing that has consistently got red through the years in England, even while the rest of the world changed around them (and it changed within). I just wonder about the VAR component when there clearly is no injury or damage to the victim, so the point of contact must not have been bad at all. Is the action alone, without a bad result, still enough to hold up in England? Or enough for a referee to still go red in the first place?

I also think yes. But the fact that it’s not a ridiculous question shows where we are right now.

11. allan_park

allan_park Member

May 15, 2000
    MassRef, given the way things are in EPL right now, your question was certainly not a ridiculous one.

As you suggest the "two-footed challenge" is just about the only one that will, still, cause the Red card to come out pretty much every time, even in England. Attwell's reaction here was actually quite telling - you can actually see (almost hear!) him saying "two-footed" in his response to the players coming towards him to question the decision.

As for VAR? Even in England in 2022, I think VAR would accept a Red Card there, or recommend one if it wasn't given. Even with all the changes to the LotG over the years, even with the confusion caused by (England's implementation of) VAR, even with the clear "desire" to keep 22 players on the pitch, this is, as you suggest, the one type of tackle that everyone thinks is a nailed-on Red and that is true regardless of injury or lack thereof.

We can only hope that view does not change.

roby and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  12. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
  13. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, I'll open a new thread for the new season. Seems about that time.

15. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    This thread stands at 70 pages, 7 more than the 2020-21 season. Let's see what the 2022-23 season will bring :D

16. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    About VAR in the Championship? Big reluctance here for many reasons (noteworthy: 2.BL, Serie B, Segunda don't use the light version by any means). The biggest potential problem is that PGMOL would be running it! I'm surprised that it is on the timetable tbh. I thought (and still think) it would be convienient for all involved to just pretend that it wasn't possible - in the near future at least.

Actally making sense of these Pravda-esque articles like this is quite a challenge (contrast btw to WCs 90-06 era where everything was done in broad daylight).

UEFA declared before the last KO stage:

Match officials were briefed to intervene and take firm action against over-reaction by players to innocuous fouls, attempts by players to pressure referees into giving opponents red or yellow cards, and efforts to deceive the referee through acts of simulation.

Looking through this particular article, the foul recognition stuff is all expected and will be carnage if they genuinely try to replicate UEFA22 - Europe's best referees struggled when handling Europe's best teams to keep control of the games. I am genuinely confused about "ensure the key decisions made are acceptable to everyone in the game" though.

What do you think it hints at - often arises the situation where players/managers are annoyed at referees shirking big calls here (at least that is my feeling), but surely it is too naïve to think that this PGMOL-led doctrine will change?