2021-22 Bundesliga Matchday 2: SC Freiburg vs Borussia Dortmund

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by BVBFNM, Aug 20, 2021.

1. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    We're up against an SC Freiburg who started their Bundesliga campaign with a scoreless draw vs Arminia Bielefeld.

All that matters is securing three points and preferably a clean sheet.

BvB_Peon repped this.
  2. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    I wonder if Hummels and Guerreiro will play tomorrow! They would make our backline much stronger compared to the supercup game if they are fit. Also can't wait to see Brandt be part of this team: Either in place of Reyna or to give Reus a break!

3. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Hummels and Guerreiro are now training with the team, but it's unclear if they will play yet.

4. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Stuttgart lost 4-0 to RB Leipzig after winning their opening match 5-1.

May this serve as a warning that we have to be consistent and settle for nothing less than a win, even if we're having a bad day. We can't afford to slip up.

5. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Kobel
    Passlack Witsel Akanji Schulz
    Bellingham Dahoud Reyna
    Reus
    Malen Haaland

Hummels, Guerreiro, Brandt and Can are at least back on the bench but they'll need some time to make up for the lost training.
    I hope Malen shows his true colors soon. It was pointed out that he needs time to adjust to the league and different training intensity and that he has still physical deficits. This makes me hopeful that the sluggish performances so far aren't representative of his abilities.

With all due respect to Freiburg, one of the things we need to improve on in comparison to the last few seasons is losing so many points to so called minnows. Anything but a win would be a huge disappointment.

6. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    passlack foul in our end.. results in FK goal....

7. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    announcers have it right, press us and we are in trouble usually..

8. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    Bellingham should have scored... In on goal 1 v 1 and just hashed it... unreal

9. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    #9 hava, Aug 21, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
    Game is a bit too open. They scored with a perfect freekick but our attack is showing positive signs and we get into good situations (Bellingham and Haaland twice). The question is who will be the next to use one of those opportunities.

10. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    very disappointing match today. just no flow to it.

11. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    Dahoud with ZERO awareness of the time and situation with the cleared free kick to not send it immediately back in as the ref blows for half time. I swear we might be a team full of morons at times... because thats just dumb

12. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Malen looks improved but Reus is invisible in offense so far and has to drop deep to get balls. Haaland barely got the ball in the last 20 minutes. So only 1 out of 3 in attack are in the game.
    Bellingham looks good but what is missing is that the team can profit from what he does. A couple of times, players didn't let go off the ball fast enough.

While we could have scored, we are also lucky that Freiburg missed a sitter and wasted several counter attack chances.

13. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    2:0...
    It all started with a completely needless diagonal pass from way back into no man's land and then a ball loss. No idea what's going on.

14. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Malen misses the 1:2 after Haaland worked his butt off to create this chance out of nowhere.

15. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Bellingham scores.
    Edit: Not Bellingham but own goal by Freiburg.

16. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    this is going to end up being one of those typical bad losses that end up being why we dont win the league ... year in and year out....

BvB_Peon and hava repped this.
  17. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Yeah, this is why we won't win the league. Dropping points vs minnow teams.

BvB_Peon and hava repped this.
  18. Arlo

Arlo Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    new coach, new season, same shit...

hava, BVBFNM and BvB_Peon repped this.
  19. BvB_Peon

BvB_Peon Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    This here is where we judge the team and Rose... And already on match day 2 we show we are not contenders. Sure there are injuries, but it's the attitude and the demeanor we saw today that is all wrong. These players would have prefer to sleep in and was still down mentally from the SuperCup lost. That is Rose's job and he failed to motivate and put the players who wanted to win, but he just went with the same (tired?!) players for the 3rd time in a 8 days...

hava repped this.
  20. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Reus and Haaland with an off-game and then not much else gets done or created in attack. It's telling that the only goal came from I think Akanji opening up the game.
    I only liked Akanji and Bellingham who put so much into this game. When we criticize players for their mentality, surely we cannot criticize Bellingham today for his.

Good to see the injured players coming back, it's obvious we need them and rotation. Passlack and Schulz always try their best but it's just not good enough. I'm sure we'll be looking better in defense soon when Can, Hummels and Guerreiro regain their form. Then we need the other parts of the team to step up as well.

astrophyz repped this.
  21. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    We're already in mid-season form I see. Losing to teams we shouldn't be losing to Has been our MO for the past 5+ years. We're far from title contention as too many on the team are mental midgets.

BVBFNM and BvB_Peon repped this.
  22. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    This was a reality to check. Losing matches like these is not a problem with mentality, but a lack of quality in the squad. When Lewandowski and Muller have poor games then still Sane, Gnabry, Coman, Kimmich, Davies or Goretzka can pull something out of the bag.

It was an awful performance today, but we lack quality. Haaland looks visibly incredibly frustrated to play with this team.

I am just going to enjoy the improved football, accept coming 2nd/3rd and hope we get out of the CL group.

We are weaker than we were last year.

23. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    When Reus and Haland don't play to the level we've seen them in the last 2 games, we have zero chance, especially with no good RB, and lack of creativity in the team.

It's a wake up call. Let's see if Rose can manage this.

I don't know if it's just lack of motivation, or if the high pressing game really can take a toll on players. No one was running today. It was as if it was a completely different squad from the last 2 games.

The other thing is: Freiburg crowded the middle against a formation which doesn't use the flanks at all. And we didn't adapt.

eaglespark repped this.
  24. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    There has to be a plan b, a lot of mid/lower placed sides will crowd the middle and if that is all it takes to nullify most of the attacking threat then this will be another frustrating season.

The RB issue needs to be addressed, and I don’t understand why Knauff isn’t at least given a chance. The team needs some pace out wide.

astrophyz repped this.
  25. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    For me it was a minute if having a very draining game and the lack of wingers.

Sadly it is as feared that we are too dependent on Reus/Haaland. I just don't have faith in anyone stepping up if those two have a quiet match.

It's very deflating. Next season we could be without both Haaland and Reus as top players.

Still for this year at least we will make top 3.

astrophyz repped this.