2021-2022 Academy Season

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by David Kerr, Jul 9, 2021.

1. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Since you are in the biz, where are some of the best soccer complexes to hold these type of large tournaments throughout the US, especially during the summer.
    Doesn't SKC have a complex? If I remember correctly doesn't Indiana, Norcal or Minnesota have a nice set of fields, hotel rooms and infrastructure to hold these tournaments.

2. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grand Park in Indiana is the best one for a summer event but is booked out 4-5 years already. The complex in Kansas City is Overland Park which is also very nice but I’m not sure if it’s big enough with only 12 fields

Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  3. Campeones123

Campeones123 Member

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Sep 2, 2021
    I've heard they are planning to do future events like next year's GA Cup either in Oceanside, CA or Sarasota, FL.

4. Husky13

Husky13 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Sep 11, 2019
    The thing is, the Frisco complex wasn't bad for GA Cup. Could have done without the wind, but the complex is nice (and huge, can easily accommodate all of the games), and the location is central. Florida would be a long trip for many teams, and the humidity in Florida can be a problem. Oceanside is an ideal location in terms of climate, but also a long trip for many east coast teams. When balancing the climate against travel convenience for all, Frisco seems like a fine choice for the April GA Cup event, but Oceanside would be a better choice for the summer event because the climates in Frisco (and Florida) are too extreme at that time of year.

Winoman, TheFalseNine and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    When I said this previously, it wasn't well received. However, my opinion hasn't changed.

What's the best way to prepare these players for a tournament like a summer U-20 WCQ tournament in Honduras or a senior WCQ in similar conditions? A June/July tournament in Texas.

These kids are .1% athletes compared to the population. Soccer players are also some of the most physically fit athletes in the world. While I wouldn't suggest it's completely safe for anyone to play in those conditions or that there aren't safer environments, I don't think it's bad enough that Frisco this time of year is a bad place to hold these tournaments.

Some of the players from colder climates may be better off having to experience these conditions now. It'll help them out later on in their careers. My only complaint with the way it works is that I would prefer the games to be more spaced out. Games should be every three days for the playoffs. I understand for some regular season games it's hard to space out the games due to travel and school for the kids, but for for the playoffs when they are already going to be away for a few weeks then I don't see how an extra 3-4 days added on at the end can't be done. I think it's a lot more unsafe to expect someone to go 90 minutes every two days.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  6. SacFCDallas

SacFCDallas New Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Feb 17, 2022
    I still think SoCal is the best place to host a tournament like this, but the thing is that both venues are booked, as ECNL boys are at the Surf Park and GA girls are at the SoCal Complex. Frisco right now is in the high 90s and 100s, while San Diego are in the 80s and 70s.

7. SacFCDallas

SacFCDallas New Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Feb 17, 2022
    But also, the playoffs start in 10 days, and we still haven't heard anything about a schedule or a streaming schedule?

8. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing at all. Just checked the MLS website and there's nada.

9. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Just because these children are good athletes doesn't mean we have to put a couple hundred kids into a few afternoon sweat lodge ceremonies because 8 of them may or may not be on a future team playing a possible game where we don't know when/where or what weather will be in 4-5 years. Sounds highly questionable decision making to me. Makes me question your overall perspective.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    If it’s so unsafe, why hasn’t MLS concluded you are right and the games need to be moved? For that matter, how many players have died during an academy game for heat/humidity related reasons since MLS Next/USSDA started up?

Do you think the kids that already live in Dallas at a club like FC Dallas are not playing games in June or practicing every day outside because it’s hot and humid? The conditions aren’t great. Everyone agrees. Conditions don’t have to be ideal, as long as they are managed with some precautions.

11. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Practicing or playing in heat once in the evening/morning and playing 4 games in 8 days is totally different.
    Just because nothing's been done doesn't make it safe. Nothings been done on gun control too by higher ups and people are still dying. I disagree with them too.
    OK we'll wait until something happens.

12. SoCalRedDevil

SoCalRedDevil Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 8, 2020
    Cup schedule is out. Who got it? pM and I’ll act surprised.

13. SacFCDallas

SacFCDallas New Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Feb 17, 2022
    Same

14. U.S soccer 32

U.S soccer 32 New Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 10, 2022
    any updates on who has it? I would love to see it

15. SoCalRedDevil

SoCalRedDevil Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 8, 2020
    Galaxy u15s open with Cincy. Don’t know beyond that.

16. U.S soccer 32

U.S soccer 32 New Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 10, 2022
    The draw has already been made correct?

17. MCU9509

MCU9509 New Member

United States
    Apr 19, 2022
    FC Cincinnati U17 opens against Chicago Fire at 9am, Sunday, 6/26. So, the draw has occurred but must not be published yet.

18. zimler

zimler New Member

Jul 26, 2005
    As for playing conditions, the US has a huge advantage over other countries because we are able to train and play in lots of different climates.

In the summer some mentioned Kansas City as an option. KC having lived there for most of my life can be just as hot or hotter than Dallas. The midwest is a desert in the summer. Living in FL depending on the location the humidity gets to people who aren't used to it, but the heat is less than in Dallas or KC. Very few places are actually cool to play in. It isn't like MLS Cup is the only event being played in a hot location. USYS Nationals is in Orlando and was in Sarasota last year. ECNL finals are in Richmond, VA, and St Louis. Both are very hot in July. It is soccer in the summer. To avoid it you will need to head far north, go to the coast, or be in the mountains. North and coasts increase the cost of travel for most teams traveling. Mountains are great for thin air training, but you have similar issues as playing in the heat.

I agree with ussoccer. The challenges actually make players stronger and better, and though not ideal for games and players need to be monitored. You will find those players that complain and those that show up. Those that show up are the ones people are wanting to scout.

TheFalseNine and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  19. SacFCDallas

SacFCDallas New Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Feb 17, 2022
    The draw has been made because I saw someone on twitter post their showcase schedule for Dallas.

20. Husky13

Husky13 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Sep 11, 2019
    I find myself with SU Dano on this. I happen to know players and parents with FC Dallas. They are training at either 6 or 7 a.m. to minimize the impact of this heat, and even then I am hearing that the conditions are pretty much unbearable from some of them, so your premise that players in Dallas are handling this heat fine doesn't seem correct. I also echo the point that playing 4 or 5 90-minute games in a 7-day stretch is quite different than playing one game, and I don't think "getting ready for the pros" is a logical rationale for playing in 95-100 degree temps.

Winoman and SUDano repped this.
  21. SoCalRedDevil

SoCalRedDevil Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 8, 2020
    #596 SoCalRedDevil, Jun 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
    U15 Playoffs R32
    All games at 9am CST on Saturday 6/25
    Field/ Home/ Away
    2: Inter Miami vs New England Revs
    3: Cedar Stars vs Solar
    4: BW Gottschee vs RSL
    5: LAFC vs Portland
    6: Sockers FC vs FC Dallas
    7: Sporting KC vs TFA
    8: LAG vs FC Cincy
    9: Weston vs Atlanta
    10: Sac Republic vs Toronto
    11: PDA vs Chicago FC United
    12: NYCFC vs San Jose
    13: NYRB vs Orlando City
    14: Chicago Fire vs Colorado Rapids
    15: Santa Cruz Breakers vs Houston Dynamo Dash YSC
    16: Austin vs Wake
    17: Philadelphia Union vs NYSC

No I don't know the U16s or 17s or 18s or 19s... also don't know how the brackets are shaped. Just seeing this info passed around. No, I don't know the temperature, wind chill, humidity index or pollen count. Someone posted that on socalsoccer.com...

22. SacFCDallas

SacFCDallas New Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Feb 17, 2022
    That’s a lot of really good matchups to look forward to.

23. Husky13

Husky13 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Sep 11, 2019
    LAFC vs Portland should NOT be in the first round

24. SoCalRedDevil

SoCalRedDevil Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 8, 2020
    It's a 1v6/Wildcard. Sure, Portland won GA Cup but over the course of the league, Portland was 5-8-1. Portland got in on MLS coattails. There were non-MLS academies with much better PPM and even results against MLS opponents.
    LAG v Cincy will be interesting. That's a tough draw for both. Game will end 4-3 someone.

Another interesting one is Rapids v Fire. Fire should win that, but Rapids will be stubborn.

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Just my take, but Portland isn’t that good. I hate to say they fluked their way to winning GA Cup, but they were outplayed most games. They have some good players, but I don’t think they are that good.