2020 Tokyo Olympics - general discussion

Discussion in '2020 Women's Olympics Soccer' started by shlj, May 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Records by region at the Olympics after the group stage -

UEFA - Played 9, won 7, drawn 2, lost 0.

CONCACAF - Played 6, won 2, drawn 3, lost 1.

CONMEBOL - Played 6, won 2, drawn 1, lost 3.

AFC - Played 9, won 2, drawn 3, lost 4.

CAF - Played 3, won 0, drawn 1, lost 2.

OFC - Played 3, won 0, drawn 0, lost 3.

2. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    I took an odd look at difference between how Monarchies and Republic is doing so far.
    Got to the conclusion that there are a big difference between Monarchies where the Monarch resides (Japan, Sweden, GB and the Netherlands) and those where they do not (Australia, New Zeeland and Canada) so split it in three categories:

Monarchies (Monarch resident): Played 12, won 8, drawn 3, lost 1:
    average 2.25 point/match
    Monarchies (Monarch remote): Played 9, won 3, drawn 4, lost 2:
    average 1.44 point/match
    Monarchies (total): Played 21, won 11, drawn 7, lost 3:
    average 1.90 point/match
    Republics: Played 15, won 3, drawn 4, lost 8:
    average 0.87 point/match

So for best result in WoSo at the Olympic games in Japan having a Monarch seems to be important, but if he or she do not reside in your country you only get half the effect. Canada/Australia/New Zeeland should really renegotiate their deal so they get shared custody of the queen.

M, soccernutter, hagabo_i_exil and 2 others repped this.
  3. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You forgot a group:
    Those who ousted the monarchs = 4 gold medals and 4 world cup trophies.
    :p :D

4. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Not that is the same as Republics in this case (and in most cases, very few Republics started that way most was Monarchies before they becomes Republics).
    The year when the 5 in the category for this Olympics did away with their Monarchy:
    US: 1776
    Chile: 1818
    Brazil: 1889
    China:1912
    Zambia:1964

West Ender and blissett repped this.
  5. FoxyPlus

FoxyPlus Member

Cloud FC
    United States
    Jul 27, 2021
    New Zealand has taken many steps back since their solid improvement from 2010 to 2016.

Past two major tournaments have been a colossal failure.

Tom Sermanni should be serving customers at the snack bar at these games, instead of coaching soccer.

His teachings are obsolete.
    He should just go on social security and watch old VHS tapes of his old Australia teams when they won because they never said die, as opposed to winning because of Sermanni’s teaching.

Sermanni, nice guy.
    Bad teacher.

Nice guy though ....
    He would be great at customer service.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ok, of course so far I've only found highlights of the three game that ended with less goals.:x3: And, if I've got to know IOC, they will soon be torn out, but I'll post them anyway, until they last. :coffee:

If you're into self-harming, you can enjoy extended 8 minutes highlights (ironically, it's called "Extended highlights - All of the goals"; but actually I see that's just the name of the video-series) from USA-Australia 0-0. :sleep:
    Lots of enticing actions: random fouls in the midfield, balls cleared into touch, out-of-measure crosses, passes into the hands of opponent GK, you name it!
    Enjoy:

Is it me, or the key-action leading to RC for Zambia is missing from these extended highlights from Brazil-Zambia? o_O Or was it Zambian GK who was sent off? Although, judging by the video, it looks like she was stretchered out injured. Anyway, her just-entered substitute was surprised by Brazil's FK; it's a shame because for the rest it didn't look like Zambia caved in and Banda actually showed some sparks of her class:

Chile-Japan was quite another snooze-fest. One of the most important actions is missing from these highlights: Chile hit the crossbar with an header and the ball rebounded on the goal-line (replay showed it was close but it clearly wasn't in):

Watch these video until you can: I'll see if I can retrieve anything else from the other games. :ninja:

7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Canada-Great Britain highlights (I bet they'll be short-lived too: watch them until you can),

GB's goal was kind of a fluke, since Weir's shot took a big deflection, but on the other hand it looks like they had just hit a crossbar+post with the same shot in a previous action.

I am happy to see Stephanie Labbé at her place in Canada's goal :thumbsup:: I was afraid that the injury she picked up in the action of the penalty vs Japan could have been something more serious.

Lohmann, kolabear and JanBalk repped this.
  8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    "Some kind" of highlights from New Zealand-Sweden: the goals are a little difficult to see (especially the 2nd one) but they are there:

Of course, the only missing match that I didn't manage to find is the most interesting one and the one with more goals, Netherlands-China. :(

9. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    That's a distant second to dumping it/her/them and coming in last in this/any/all tournament(s).

kolabear and blissett repped this.
  10. FoxyPlus

FoxyPlus Member

Cloud FC
    United States
    Jul 27, 2021
    Lechus7, kolabear and blissett repped this.
  11. hagabo_i_exil

hagabo_i_exil Member

Apr 27, 2004
    london
    Club:
    Umeå IK
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Bah, I just hope I get to swear fealty to her rather than the next one. Hashtag citizenship of the Realm

kolabear repped this.
  12. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Sometimes 0-0 games can be really entertaining. This wasn't one of those. Maybe if the US goal in the first half wasn't disallowed then it may have been different. Both sides seemed to be happy with the draw a long way from full time.

13. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    To be fair to New Zealand, their squad haven't been together since the pandemic broke out. No games in like 15 months. Players are spread all over the world. Key players Riley and Erceg not released by their clubs in America. NZ played one friendly against the Brits in Tokyo the week before the Olympics. That's all. You need better preparation at this level.

West Ender, kolabear, blissett and 2 others repped this.
  14. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    By place in their groups:

UEFA - 3 teams, all 1st in their groups. Average place:1
    CONCACAF - 2 teams, all 2nd in their groups. Average place:2
    CONMEBOL - 2 teams, 2nd and 4th in their groups. Average place:3
    AFC - 3 teams, all 3rd in their groups. Average place:3
    CAF - 1 team 4th in their group. Average place:4
    OFC - 1 team 4th in their group. Average place:4

BarryfromEastenders and blissett repped this.
  15. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    You should include standard deviation also. CONMEBOL has the largest sd, which shows a performance gap between Brazil and the other teams. If you look at the regional competition, either club or country, you see a gap also. Hope this doesn't hold Brazil back. We need the rest of our neighbors to step up their game. Or else BRWNT will become Mexico. Relative big local league and local powerhouse but not a real contender in the world stage.

16. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    #366 JanBalk, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    Since all other confederations except CONMEBOL have all their teams on the same spot, 1st for UEFA, 2nd for CONCACAF, 3rd for AFC, 4th for CAF and OFC, CONMEBOL is the only that have any sd at all. The teams from the other Confeds all ended excatly on the average for teams from that confed (a given for CAF and OFC, if you have only one team it will always have the same result as the average for that result).

And I do think that Canada and US is equal as well as China, Japan and Australia are is (when it come to place in the group) is more of a surprise than that Brazil and Chile is not. That the UEFA teams are equal is not as much of a surprise but still more than that Brazil and Chile is not.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  17. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Bottom half by population lost 9 games. Top half by population lost just 4 games (and 2 of those were China).

We could have three UEFA teams in the semis, which has never happened. Or we could have none which has never happened either.

We could have both CONCACAF teams in the semis, for the second time. Or we could have none which has never happened.

Brazil has only missed the semis in one Olympics, in 2012 when they were knocked out in the quarters by Japan (who had just won the World Cup and went to the final).

The only other team to only miss a single Olympics is the USA, last tournament in Rio when they were knocked out by Sweden.

Bauser, JanBalk, blissett and 1 other person repped this.
  18. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you mean, "miss a single Olympics *semis"?

law10 repped this.
  19. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Guilty as charged :)

blissett repped this.
  20. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    So, what will the bracket look like after today? Go ahead and pencil the US in.

nvm. I found it.

21. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    In the past three Olympics (since 2012) the only team to be in the semi's every tournament has been Canada.

Almost half (5/12) of the semi-finalists have been from CONCACAF (representing 2 of the top 25 ranked).

Same 5/12 for UEFA (representing 16 of the top 25 ranked).

One from CONMEBOL (1 of the top 25) and one from AFC (5 of the top 25).

No representatives from CAF or OFC.

West Ender and blissett repped this.
  22. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana

toad455, soccernutter, cpthomas and 3 others repped this.
  23. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I was going to say: finally IOC allows some decent highlights, at least for the quarter finals. Instead: not sure way the two goals scored by Australia in the extra-time are replaced by a blank screen o_O; Brazil-Canada highlights are actually the complete sequence of the penalty shootout: ok, it hadn't happened much else in the previous 120', but... o_O; the Sweden-Japan highlights don't show the PK for Japan in 1st Half that was reversed by VAR, but that's somehow understandable, because these are actually "goals actions" more than real highlights; and anyway, the highlights from Netherlands-USA, beyond the goals and the "key-PKs" from the shootout, show one of the random US goals disallowed for off-side and don't show the Dutch PK missed by Martens o_O.

Bah, I wonder why don't we deserve, at least, the best possible highlights videos (since it was basically impossible to watch all of the matches live because of the overlapping) :cautious:.

Bauser, CoachJon, Romario'sgurl and 3 others repped this.
  24. hagabo_i_exil

hagabo_i_exil Member

Apr 27, 2004
    london
    Club:
    Umeå IK
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Yes, sure, annoying- but that also meant that I was physically unable to jinx Sweden as I was busy jinxing Brazil (and GB a bit) until well into the second half. I also couldn’t really jinx the Netherlands until the second half either.

blissett, Romario'sgurl and soccernutter repped this.
  25. FoxyPlus

FoxyPlus Member

Cloud FC
    United States
    Jul 27, 2021
    ----

Means nothing now.

UEFA just lot twice in the Quarterfinal, as most of their 3 teams won't be playing for a medal now.

Great Britain just lost to Australia.
    Netherlands just lost to USA.

3 of the 4 teams in the Semifinal round are not from UEFA. That's a fail for them.
    This is far different from the 2019 Women's World Cup, in which 7 of the 8 teams who advanced to the Quarterfinal were European teams.

2019 Women's World Cup was a major success for UEFA.
    7 of the Top 8 teams, including Silver and Bronze.

The 2020 Olympics are now a potential failure for UEFA.
    If Sweden wins Gold, that is still good for UEFA however.

But not a good showing in the knockout round overall from UEFA.