2020 Season - Prediction Contest

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by cpthomas, Mar 6, 2020.

1. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, the one on this thread who uses to warn us about the risks of going with the heart (to the point that he normally prefers a robotic CPU to it :alien:), basically went with your same kind of prediction (same winner team and similar goal difference).

So it's probably a not so far-fetched choice as you're presenting it. :p

2. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    CHI 1-1 HOU (HOU advances)
    MVP Jane Campbell

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  3. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This makes tons of sense to me, but CHI made all 5 of their KFTPM and even if Jane is Queen of the PKs, she can't save em all.
    I think HOU is going to miss Bri Visalli more than people think ( although I am a big Veronica Latsko fan). CHI will miss Casey Short a lot.
    I can't decide between Chicago having "been there" and never lifting hardware (or glassware as the case may be) and HOU being the team on a roll, but lacking the knockout experience.
    I am going with my heart not head.

CHI 1 HOU 2
    Shea Groom MVP (that's my pick - but if HOU wins, they'll give it to Daly)

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  4. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I've also been impressed with Visalli. Without Short, Chicago is vulnerable on its left flank. If Houston sends a speedster who can cross (Groom?) up that flank it might pay dividends.

59Amerinorsk and CoachJon repped this.
  5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Without robots around this season, going with one's heart is becoming a trend! :giggle:

Of course, it can lead to opposite predictions. :p

59Amerinorsk and CoachJon repped this.
  6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #156 SiberianThunderT, Jul 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    Wow, kinda surprised I did so well with the ladder X-D

For predicting today's game, I'm having trouble coming up with a head-predicition OR a heart-predicition... These are two of my favorite teams (alongside my local Spirit). CHI's best players remain injured but the rest of the team is stepping up. I'm not sure if HOU's 5g-in-first-two-games or 1G-in-next-four-games is more true. (On a similar note, is CHI the three-goal-explostion we just saw, or the dearth of goals from earlier?) baaaaahhhhhh

Part of me wants to say the historically better team will eke out the win. However, I kinda think that both teams will score two, and if it goes to penalties I gotta think that Campbell's PK voodoo kicks in.

Okay, so I guess my prediction is 2-2 with HOU taking the title and Campbell gameday MVP...

But let it go on record that I think CHI 2-1 or 3-2 are both highly likely, and if CHI wins I think BSG gets the gameday MVP.

==EDIT==
    Went back to look at my ladder and realized I said this:
    I find it funny that I specifically said NCC would be upset by a rival they already beat in pool play, and just picked the wrong rival. X'-D

lil_one, CoachJon, blissett and 2 others repped this.
  7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I told you it was becoming a trend here, guys... ;)

BSG stands for...? Bianca St.Georges? :cautious:

8. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    blissett repped this.
  9. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Looks like Visalli is going to start the final, after all: probably Houston's coach shares your opinion about her importance.

10. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Challenge Cup is over, and with the prediction for Houston winning AND the MVP pick, @CoachJon takes the lead and wins the "regular season" contest of the predictions. For the "preseason+regular season+postseason" title, @SiberianThunderT maintains the lead and wins the predictions and ladder contest! CONGRATS to both!

Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 2.57.58 PM.png

lunatica, 59Amerinorsk, CoachJon and 2 others repped this.
  11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I take as a consolation prize that I was second-placed after @CoachJon in predicting today's final, and actually one of just threee people to make any points at all from it! :p

Good intuition on Shea Groom's call, @CoachJon, congratulations, both for that and for the regular season win! :thumbsup:

And, of course, big kudos to @SiberianThunderT! :notworthy: (And to @lil_one for taking on herself the duty of the score-keeper :notworthy::notworthy:).

12. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #162 CoachJon, Jul 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    blissett and lil_one repped this.