2020 Season Catch All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by TheWarmBurger, Feb 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Well friends, the time is now upon us! It's the dawn of a new decade, the dawn of a new season, the dawn of a new head coach, and maybe this year will be the dawn of a new Rapids team!

In just a few short days the 2020 MLS Season kicks off. Last year, we wanted more wins, more points, and more exciting play on the pitch. This year, there's even more pressure on the team to do well and continue to build off of the end of last year.

It's a time of cautious hope for us Rapids fans. 2019 we finished strong, but can we continue to build off the success we were able to find? Some say yes. Others say it's not possible.

Here's to 2020! Let's hope this year is the one we've been waiting for

JasonMa repped this.
  2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (Its not a new decade)

wormhole and COMtnGuy repped this.
  3. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Is anyone going to watch the first game at Frolic? It is on the North Side (Broomfield/Westminster, I can never remember where the dividing line is.)

Apparently the side room has an event this Saturday, so they are going to put the game on in the main room. Would LOVE to see us pack it out and take things over. (note: they do have more than beer and the food is decent. There is a nice patio if the weather works).

If there isn't going to be a big group at Frolic, then I may hit the Celtic. Just would rather stay closer to home if possible.

rod.

4. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    2018 - 2019 transition
    2018 saw the Rapids go 8W-7D-19L with 31 points (.91 per game), 36 goals scored (1.06 per game), and 63 goals allowed (1.85 per game).

2019 started with some minor hopes and expectations of at least challenging for the playoffs, but those hopes were quickly dashed on the dark rocks of the Hudsonian Era.

Under Hudson, the Rapids went 0W-2D-7L with 2 points (0.22per game!!!), 13 goals for(1.44per game), and 23 goals against (2.56per game!!!).

The Casey Era Begins
    After Hudson was fired, Casey took the reigns. It was a bumpy start, with losses to Vancouver and Real Salt Lake - both at home, and both by a 3-2 scoreline. This put the Rapids in contention and on pace for one of the worst teams in MLS history, going winless in our first 11 games and recording a whopping 0.18ppg.

But then things turned around. The Rapids responded by beating LA Galaxy 1-0 in LA (side note: Zlatan has never scored against the Rapids in his entire tenure with LA either), which started a 7 game unbeaten streak that included the Rapids blanking LAFC 1-0 at home.

Overall under Casey in 2019, the Rapids finished 7W-3D-7L with 22 points (1.29 per game), 29 goals for (1.71 per game), and 28 goals against (1.65 per game)

Casey's last game as the interim head coach was a 2-0 defeat on the road to Fake Salt Lake, sealing our fate in the 2019 Rocky Mountain Cup. Subsequently Robin Fraser took on the role as our permanent head coach.

Fraser Takes Over
    Under Fraser, the Rapids finished the season quite strong with a record of 5W-0D-2L, playing all but one playoff team (SKC) in that stretch. The Rapids finished strong with 15 points (2.14 per game), 15 goals for (2.14 per game), and 9 goals against (1.29 per game). Had a couple of results go differently for the Rapids (I'm looking at you TFC and that red card on Jozy that was never called), and go differently across the league, the Boys in Burgundy actually had a chance to make the playoffs last year.

Post Hudson
    Post Hudson our team finished 2019 with 12W-3D-9L notching 44 goals for (1.83 per game), and 37 goals against (1.54 per game).

If you take out Casey's first two games - debatable premise, but he never really had any serious coaching experience beforehand - we finished 12W-3D-7L with 40 goals for and 31 goals against. That works out to an approximately 60 point season, with 62 goals for, and 48 goals against.

2019 was an absolutely wild ride. If 2-3 games across the season finish with W's instead of L's, and we may have actually played in a playoff match.

We also went from having a team that was not enjoyable to watch to the Rapids actually having a chance (albeit quite slim) of making the playoffs and being a team that we could watch without dreading what we were about to see on the pitch.

2019 - 2020 KEY PLAYER LOSSES
    • Marlon Hairston (1/11/2019)
    • Shkëlzen Gashi (3/1/2019)
    • Benny Feilhaber (5/8/2019)
    • Johan Blomberg (8/13/2019)
    • Tim Howard (10/6/2019)
    • Tommy Smith (11/21/2019)
    • Dillon Serna (11/21/2019)
    • Axel Sjöberg (11/27/2019)
    2019 - 2020 KEY PLAYER ACQUISITIONS
    • Jonathan Lewis (5/7/2019)
    • Lalas Abubakar (5/7/2019 - made permanent 11/20/2019)
    • Auston Trusty (11/20/2019)
    • Drew Moor (11/27/2019)
    • Nicolas Benezet (1/14/2020)
    • Younes Namli (1/15/2020)
    • Braian Galvan (7/7/2020 - unless earlier purchase arrangements are made prior to the primary transfer window closing on May 5th, 2020)
    2020 Schedule
    https://www.coloradorapids.com/schedule

2020 Positional Breakdown/Previews
    https://www.coloradorapids.com/post/2020/02/23/2020-preseason-position-preview-forward

https://www.coloradorapids.com/post/2020/02/20/2020-preseason-position-preview-midfielder

https://www.coloradorapids.com/post/2020/02/14/2020-preseason-position-preview-defender

Cos_Mos, Totoro and SccrDon repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As expected, the Rapids signed first round draft pick Jeremy Kelly to a one year deal plus team option years today

SccrDon and COMtnGuy repped this.
  6. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    This got me thinking....I really like the idea of the polls on the other threads. That's nice to see a percentage breakdown, and it's unfortunate you can't do multiple polls at once here.

But I'll give my entire predictions for the entire season below (and still vote in the polls):
    • Rapids finish the season with 51 points (1.5ppg), and make the playoffs
      • We don't have an "easy" schedule, but our Eastern Conference matches have a nice spread of home/away challenges
      • Orlando, Philadelphia, Toronto, NYRB, and Chicago @ home
      • DC, NE, NYCFC, Montreal, Columbus away
        • I fully expect that the Rapids can steal some points in the Eastern Conference away games

• Kei Kamara scores 15 goals this year
      • Last year we scored 58 as a whole, with 46 assists. Kei scored 14 times last year, and I think he improves on that with a better offensive unit

• Rubio, Lewis, and Benezet all score at least 7 goals
      • Shinyashiki scores 5 (down from 7 last year)
      • Mezquida scores 4 again this year
      • Nicholson also scores 4

• Namli goes off this season for 10g/10a - or he contributes directly to 20 goals in whatever combo necessary (13g/7a or 5g/15a etc. etc. etc.)

• Namli also leads the team in assists this year
      • I still think Jack Price still gets 8+, with 6 set piece assists

• Acosta leads the team in fouls again, but this year surpasses Rubio for the team lead in yellows

• Keegan Rosenberry makes the All Star team - either as a starter, or an alternate

• Cole Bassett scores a wonder-goal - either an insane angle nobody should've scored on, or a long range rocket that bests the keeper

• Rapids WIN THE ROCKY MOUNTAIN CUP - and do it at home - by a comfy margin
      • 2-2 tie on our first match @ FSL
        • I think this first one is gonna be a crazy fight to the finish. Chances everywhere, but only 4 goals find the back of the net....with Rapids scoring in the 85th+ minute to tie it up
      • 3-1 win at home to clinch the cup
        • FSL scores first here, but then we pull our heads out of our butts and close it out 3-1

Those are my predictions for this season. Let's go Rapids!

unkiemark and Rod1916 repped this.
  7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapids announced the first of their 25th anniversary promotions today:

March 21st - First 3 patches in a season long series of patches will be available for purchase

July 4th - Pablo Mastroeni's #25 will be retired

Aug 1st - Throwback to 1996 night

Aug 10th- 10th anniversary of MLS Cup 2010 celebration (when Nashville is visiting, of course)

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pablo's #25 absolutely deserves to be retired, but does anyone else thing #17 should also be retired for 'Celo?

Follow up to that, trivia time! Other than Pablo and 'Celo, can anyone name the three other players to wear either 17 or 25 for the Rapids (outside of possible preseason trialists)?

Andy126 and SccrDon repped this.
  9. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    1232706778216964097 is not a valid tweet id

JasonMa and COMtnGuy repped this.
  10. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  11. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    The new MLS anthem:
    1232715213620699138 is not a valid tweet id

AlbertCamus and fortcollins repped this.
  12. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Not sure if I like the new anthem or just am excited for the season to start, but I really enjoyed the video.

13. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I am clearly not the target market for that.

What's the shelf life of that anthem, 5-10 years?

14. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since nobody wanted to guess here’s the answer:

#17 - Preston Burpo and Dillon Serna
    #25 - Craig Waibel for only the 2000 season

Totoro and SccrDon repped this.
  16. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Speaking of watch parties, are there any in the Boulder area? Those of us without Directv need somewhere to watch.

17. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Yes. 'Celo should have his retired.

JasonMa and SccrDon repped this.
  18. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Frolic is the closest I know about. Used to be a couple, but not sure if any still exist.

19. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

Andy126 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  20. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, my reaction was, "This is kind of cool but I bet it will get dated really fast."

MrPerfectNot repped this.
  21. pdid10

pdid10 Member+

Aug 8, 2008
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    This is the now old anthem. Dont know if I like the new one, but I'll probably come around and come to like it by the time the next one is composed.

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can understand why Altitude sees that as a non starter

23. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The new anthem is fine, but you honestly could find 10-15 better options by just looking at the song catalog from companies like Immediate Music or Two Steps From Hell. It is better than what the EPL plays though...they haven't had a decent anthem since the early 2000's.

1. Bundesliga anthem
    2. UEFA Champions League anthem

-----powergap-----

3. Old Fifa anthem
    4. New Copa Libertadores anthem
    5. CONCACAF anthem
    6. New MLS anthem
    7. Old MLS anthem
    8. New Fifa anthem

-----powergap-----

346. EPL anthem

Andy126 repped this.
  24. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I actually think that Shinyashiki will score more this season. But I agree that with Kamara, Rubio, Benezet, Nicholson, Mezquida and Lewis in addition to Shinyashiki, there will be a lot of scoring options this season. Much like last season, I think one player will be hot for a game or two and then someone else will get hot.

Really, this is one of the strengths of the Rapids. They won't depend on Kamara for example. They will have a number of reliable scoring options.

Totally agree. The reports I'm getting are that he's really what the Rapids have stated. Can't wait to see him in person.

Andy126 and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A family medical emergency (short-term still critical, long-term outlook good) caused me to fly up here to Seattle unexpectedly last night. Ironically it will now be easier for me to watch the Rapids opener on Saturday because I'll no longer be blacked out on ESPN+.