2020 Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by TrueCrew, Oct 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, this song was almost universally panned. It was pretty dark.

"The video was posted on February 10, 2011 and received 4,000 views, enough to please Black,[15] before comedian Michael J. Nelson's Twitter account and a Tosh.0 blog post, Songwriting Isn't for Everyone, drew attention to it on March 11, 2011, turning the video into a viral hit.[6] Criticism of the song's lyrics, the use of Auto-Tune on Black's vocals, as well as the content of the video also caused it to become viral.[25] On May 9, 2011, comments became subject to prior approval for posting. Two days later, commenting was disabled altogether and archives removed. By June 15, 2011, the video had more than 166 million views, and 3.2 million dislikes from YouTube users against just 454,000 likes.[9] It also peaked in the top 20 most watched YouTube videos of all time.

After reading the harsh reviews of Friday, Black said that "those hurtful comments really shocked me. ARK Music offered to take the video down from YouTube, but Black refused the offer, saying that she did not wish to give the haters the satisfaction that they got me so bad I gave up.[73] Black's father has accompanied her in public to guard against potential accosters.[17] In response to criticism over the song's significant use of Auto-Tune, Black performed an acoustic version during an interview with ABC News, which earned over 180,000 dislikes on YouTube (84% of total ratings) by November 2011.[74] Later in the interview Black's mother, Kelly, stated that she was angry and upset after Black was brought to tears by comments, such as I hope you go cut yourself and die and I hope you cut yourself and get an eating disorder so you'll look pretty."[75][76][77]"

Currently up to 3.6m dislikes, though comments are enabled again.

Jaybir repped this.
  2. Jaybir

Jaybir Member+

Feb 24, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I never saw it, but I actually wondered as much - thinking this thing is funny enough to make it big.

3. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    There are certainly more cringeworthy songs that are more popular. Hell, Old Town Road was a mega hit last year...

CybrSlydr and TRUJDUB repped this.
  4. Jaybir

Jaybir Member+

Feb 24, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Oh wow. That is actually pretty sad. Now I feel bad. But ya know, it's kinda like the Star Wars Kid -

I believe laughter is one of the great heart sutures. And nothing is funnier than ourselves. Like the Star Wars Kid, I understand that he was mortified. But if he didn't take himself so seriously, he could be ruling the world now from some beach in the Caribbean.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  5. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bez and Porter. Our dynamic duo.

Bez with the brains who can pull off the steal because he knows the rules and numbers. Porter with the experience and professional/personal connection to Adi who says "I can turn this guy around; we can get something here."

6. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    We can chuckle all that we want about Cincy paying 1.8 million for Adi, but the fact of the matter is he has to improve upon his output of the last 2 years to even be worth the 200k we are gonna pay him.

Personally, I think he will. I think that surrounded by players like Diaz, Santos, and (a hopefully up to the hype) Zelarayan he can probably stumble into 3-4 goals off the bench this season. He'll probably exceed it.

I think the most interesting aspect of this is how the 5 million dollar man works with all these new attacking options. He was very rigid and stubborn in his sub patterns last year. We rarely ever played with two strikers up top or showed any sort of creativity or ingenuity in the game plan. Apologists placed this all on injuries, and questioned whether it's fair to expect any creativity or unpredictability from one of the most well compensated managers in MLS. Here is hoping that new players expand his tactical palate beyond, "run really hard" and "run harder."

puttputtfc and LaMacchia repped this.
  7. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s certainly true.

Not to go all “get off my lawn,” but I went to YouTube to check out that song “Bad Guy” that just landed Billie Eilish a Grammy, and... huh? That’s the best anyone came up with last year?

Jaybir and the_rickler repped this.
  8. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

9. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She got 5 freaking Grammys apparently. ********ing hell.

At least Tool won one. Wooo!

the_rickler repped this.
  10. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This ^^^ was one of my main complaints. It seemed as if there weren't any other ideas. Now, I am sure some of that had to do with our USL quality roster from last season, but it did drive me a bit crazy. It felt a bit like our local high school coach - you know that when the clock hits 20 minutes the subs are coming in. It doesn't matter what's going on, or anything. It's time to sub!

11. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I was less frustrated than I might otherwise have been last year as regards subbing patterns because it was far, far worse under Berhalter.

In any case, this is a different team now, it's Porter's roster. Last year's inherited group and absurd number of injuries are ancient history. Porter's got to show us he knows how to make this group - his group - produce.

LaMacchia repped this.
  12. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he is a robot after all, his programming does not give him flexibility

hangthadj repped this.
  13. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to be creative when Conner Maloney is getting multiple starts.

I like the team our much-maligned, truck stop owning owner has agreed to finance. If we lay an egg now, it's on the coach.

14. Jaybir

Jaybir Member+

Feb 24, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know exactly how you feel.

15. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah - more than likely it's on the players. Coaches are a bit overrated. they get too much credit and too much blame.

16. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    One of the best bands today, The Interrupters, with the save.

17. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gawd, music is so subjective.

AC30, kgilbert78 and CybrSlydr repped this.
  18. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting comments from some guy over at The Athletic in an article listing three new-to-the-league defenders who will supposedly have a big impact:

Coming to MLS from SK Brann in Norway, Wormgoor isn’t particularly fast and he doesn’t shine defensively, though he is capable of putting in a well-timed challenge and winning an aerial duel. However, when Wormgoor has the ball, the game opens up — or rather, Wormgoor opens up the game. Especially when up against a lower defensive block, the Dutchman loves to hit long diagonal passes from his right center back spot over to the left wing or to the left half space, forcing the opposing defenders to adjust their positioning.

This clip is a good overall summation of Wormgoor’s skill on the ball. First, notice how he takes a directional first touch, immediately moving forward into space as he receives the ball. Second, look at how he keeps his head up while dribbling into midfield, calmly controlling possession. And finally, the clean passing technique to put the ball perfectly on his teammate’s dominant foot is worth applauding.

pic.twitter.com/myT2DsopqZ

— 21 (@21LBRB) January 25, 2020

If Jonathan Mensah, Harrison Afful and Milton Valenzuela can work together to provide the defensive cover that he needs to truly excel at center back, expect to see a lot of Wormgoor on the ball for the Columbus Crew this season.

What makes this even more interesting is that it is also a fair description of what Wil Trapp does. And presumably you really don't need two guys coming from deep in the back dishing to the wide players in the attacking third. As the writer says, with Wormgoor out there what you need is someone providing defensive cover.

And that's Artur, not Trapp.

Jaybir, TRUJDUB, Tobias C and 8 others repped this.
  19. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This screams Dutch. I remember training in the Netherlands at about 13 y/o with the head of KNVB training and he pounded that opening touch into our brains until it stuck. Couldn't tell you anything else he told us but I still think about this every time I receive a ball to this day

TRUJDUB and Bill Archer repped this.
  20. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am trying to remember when I mostly stopped listening to current music--and I'm not 100% sure why either--it just happened.

21. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, anything that will push the movement of the ball further from the keeper is a plus. Using a CD to do so and having the DM and mids move up to receive rather than coming out of the back with the ball is an improvement.

TRUJDUB and TrueCrew repped this.
  22. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s true in theory but the reality is the context of the other players comes into play. When Trapp went deep a fullback pushed way forward. If the center mids don’t drop as deep the full back stays more defensive. The net gain of players up the field is none.

With that said, it always helps to have a centerback with passing skills and is comfortable with the ball.

TRUJDUB and Coupe repped this.
  23. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me, too. No more MTV/VH-1 for me. Must be 20 years or so. Though every once & a while something grabs me. Saw this dude on Graham Norton and was impressed, Michael Kiwanuka

24. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I listen to "current" music. Just very little that is all that mainstream. Just the thought of listening to any local commercial contemporary radio station makes me nauseous. Though, if I were in a workplace where it fit in, I tend to like a lot of the stuff Maggie Brennan places during the day on WCBE.

25. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First touch is everything! If you have kids that play and they don't work on first touch every single day in practice, then find a team/coach/club that does. And they should work on it every day outside of practice too. The old brick wall is the greatest trainer. Controlling the weight and direction of the touch is a necessary skill. I get so frustrated watching 12/13 year olds who have square bricks for feet. Kills all attempts at possesion and leads to unnecessary pressure on the ball leading to turnovers. All touches must have a purpose - essentially to create space and keep possession. Whether dribbling or passing.

TRUJDUB repped this.