2020 Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by TrueCrew, Oct 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who, exactly, was predicting that?

It's still February - the season's not even begun - and already your schtick is wearing thin.

2. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While some Crew players’ moms are active on Twitter, I do not think JJ Williams’ mom posts on here.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  3. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    You sir are delusional. Nobody assumes any draft pick makes the team more or less the 18th pick. This isn't the NFL or NBA. You are just being an @SS.

POdinCowtown, TRUJDUB and Bill Archer repped this.
  4. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s taking a dig at me because I wanted to at least see what JJ had after Zardes shit the bed multiple times in multiple games last year.

What a gem. [emoji849]

CybrSlydr repped this.
  5. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we sure that JJ getting cut isn’t a function of one of the following or a combination of the following:
    1. CoachBot can’t coach
    2. No USL team to keep him on for more development
    3. He really isn’t very good
    4. Bez picked a player that just didn’t work out
    5. Hang’s love for the team was too much for JJ to handle.

I think it’s a bit of each.

6. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The phrase "Bez disasterclass" is really starting to grate on me.

There isn't a GM in the world with a perfect record.

jairadballerina and TRUJDUB repped this.
  7. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    JJ is better off in USL. MLS has advanced quite a bit in the last 10 years and expectations are high. Learning the game is better suited for USL.
    From my understanding, in the future, Crew II players may not necessarily be under contract to The Crew. The senior team gets 30 roster slots that they can use for mls or loan a few players to USL. We can recall those loans anytime. But we can’t just stock pile Crew II and consider the whole roster to be property of The Crew. We would need to sign individual players to mls contracts I believe. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

8. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In point of fact, if you go back and look at the 2019 Superdraft, after the first handful of picks almost none of them are on MLS rosters.

9. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Dallas is dealing with this right now. They have stream of prospect that they are trying to sign. They are offering many of them USL deals and their best prospects are finding their way overseas or to other places because their first team has a bunch of HG guys as well. They are in a weird spot to sign USL players to deals maybe worth more than MLS players

10. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You are both half right. Nobody with even a remedial understanding of the game would even suggest such a thing.

But, I'm old enough to remember last season's anti-Gyasi hysteria and trolling by a few posters on this board.

11. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mohammad Abu has been released by whatever Nordic team it was he ended up on.

28 year old defensive mid with a lot of experience. Not a starter obviously but for cover, maybe.

Dont know if we still hold his rights but could probably get him cheap if you're interested.

Pauncho and TRUJDUB repped this.
  12. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really know how it works, but I'd bet fans of other clubs who already run their own USL teams have firsthand experience. One technical correction (I think) is that Crew II players almost certainly would be under contract to the Crew organization, recalling no senior Crew players actually are; they're under contract to MLS.

The currently listed (i.e., 2019) roster rules do address this in a few areas. Teams, for example, can call up players from their USL affiliates for short term (no more than 4 days) contracts for non-MLS matches (like US Open Cup). They can similarly be called up for short term stints for MLS league play under "extreme hardship" conditions (in general, the MLS team's match day roster of available players is depleted to a defined extent).

They can also identify up to 3 of their USL players as "priority" players by placing them on their discovery list (not sure what really means, honestly).

Teams can get roster relief for up to one player they've loaned to their USL affiliate, but under some pretty strict conditions (age, very low compensation, etc.). More to your point, MLS teams can loan players out to their USL teams, and then recall them, IF they have roster space to do so.

So, no, it certainly doesn't look as though these USL sides represent two dozen extra MLS roster spaces. Far from it. But there are mechanisms for having carefully identified players move back and forth between teams. Beyond that, when you look at the restrictions and short term nature of most of those mechanisms, I think you can see again why all MLS clubs operate their USL franchises out of their home MLS market, sharing the same training ground, coaching staff, etc. If you're calling someone up for no more than 4 days, they better already be fully familiar with your senior operation.

TRUJDUB, crew2112 and zman31 repped this.
  13. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good summary but you might emphasize one point which you did mention but is I think the salient issue:

Since Team II USL players are not under MLS co tracts, it's a violation of league (and I suspect CBA) rules to play them in a league match without doing some serious gymnastics.

They are eligible for USOC games because that's not a league game. It's probably different now but not that long ago a few teams would literally bring in a few guys off the street to suit up for those. US Soccer even fined someone (RSL maybe) for not seeming to take it seriously.

But the Union is not wild about seeing non Union players suiting up, and unless you're under an MLS contract you're not in the MLSPA.

So the wiggle room is pretty tight, with obviously some small, temporary exceptions for extreme emergencies. Even then, I'll bet theres some kind of super-secret short term contract dalio, kind of like the NBA 10 day contracts.

14. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

zman31 repped this.
  15. Masefan

Masefan Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jan 4, 2018
    I for one liked Little Mo

TRUJDUB repped this.
  16. Dr.Fever

Dr.Fever Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 19, 2018
    I believe the general BigSoccer stigma for little Mo is, he never saw a non-forward pass that he didn't like.

Robbiegoal, TRUJDUB, Bill Archer and 2 others repped this.
  17. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those interested in these should look at FC Dallas. They have done this with a couple players. Signed them to USL deals and then when they wanted to pull them up to t he MLS squad signed them to an MLS deal which obviously took a roster spot, hit the cap, etc.

18. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because I have such a bizarre attraction to MLS roster rules (it's more like a disease, really), as regards this whole MLS/USL roster issue, this rule is particularly interesting:

Okay, so what this sounds like to me is that MLS teams can have USL affiliates, and increasingly are opting to own/run those clubs. But that doesn't mean they "own" all of those players as regards their potential status as players on their MLS roster.

Other teams, in theory, could place Discovery List claims on Crew II players, unless they're "protected" (for lack of a better word) due to the above USL Priority Player rule (which requires clubs to use up to three of their seven Discovery slots on those USL players) or via one of the other mechanisms listed earlier in this thread that tie players from an MLS-owned USL side to the senior team.

Now, I'm not at all sure if there's any interest among MLS clubs to burn their precious Discovery List slots on some other MLS club's USL players. And having Discovery rights to those players doesn't mean you can just go out and sign them (a transfer would need to be agreed on, as long as the player is under contract to the USL club). Still, it's certainly possible that it could happen.

19. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The club’s USL team would still own that players rights so they wouldn’t just need to place a discovery claim on the player but then buy that player from the USL club which the parent company would dictate the terms of the sale.

20. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, absolutely. But on the flipside, if the Crew wanted to sign a Crew II player from its own USL side, and that player was already on another club's Discovery List, they would first need to acquire that player's Discovery List rights. In order to do so, this rule would kick in (you know, assuming this rule still exists once the new CBA is ratified); see the italicized part:

21. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This is peak MLS.

22. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    MLS league minimum yes , otherwise no

23. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK. New CBA. Tarbell trade. One less Williams.

Tarbell made $200k/$235k last year. He is a Senior Roster player. Which means Etienne must get bumped down to Supplemental (unless Cadden is not Senior, which I doubt). The CBA has the min salary rising so I think he is within the parameters.

With JJs release, we still have an open Supplemental slot (Etienne, Lampson, Kempin + 1). Though the blurb about Berry beating JJ out would seem to suggest that spot is his, though he has not been added to the roster yet.

If you play a 1 striker formation, carrying 5 strikers is not really a good idea, so that makes sense.

For those wanting a more established DM/CM/CAM for depth (myself included), it looks like we are SOL for now, as I have the SR full.

Too lazy to change the cap#s & such to reflect the new CBA. Perhaps next time.

A. Rules & Regs (2019)
    Link:
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/league/official-rules/mls-roster-rules-and-regulations

B. General Stuff:

1. Salary Cap = $4,240,000 (2019)

A) On Budget: Only Senior Roster Spots count against the Cap
    B) Players on Season Ending Injury list also count vs. the Cap, though one replacement player may be off cap under certain circumstances.
    C) Up to 20 Senior Roster spots. 18 must be filled. Min budget charge is made if spots 19 & 20 are not filled.
    D) Max budget charge is $530,000. Allocation $$ and DP rules can reduce a player's budget charge below their listed salary number.
    E) Off-Budget: Supplemental (21-24) and Reserve (25-30) Rosters do not count towards the salary cap.
    F) Salary info is from September 2019. Have to wait for the Union to post new info, usually they do 2 per year, March & September.

II. Estimated Roster Compositions
    1. Senior Roster: 20/18-20 Players:

A) 20 Player max on Senior Roster, subject to Season Ending Injury List, Disabled List, and Loan exceptions.
    B) Generally, this is the highest 20 paid players, though HG players and GA players can be on other rosters.

Rank, Player, Pos, Age,DOB, HT, WT, Nat, Desig(s), Base $$/Guar $$
    1. Zelarayan, M, 27, 6/20/92, 5'8", 154, Argentina, DP, INT#1, $1.5 mil+/$1.5 mil+
    2. Zardes, F, 28, 9/2/91, 6'1", 187, USA, DP, $1,421,667/$1,471,667
    3. Mensah, D, 29, 7/13/90, 6'2", 183, Ghana, GC: $800,004/$894,004
    4. Santos, M, 31, 4/22/88, 5'6", 139, Portugal, DP, Int#2: $817,560/$864,560
    5. Nagbe, CM, 29, 7/19/90, 5'9", 165, USA/Liberia, $665,500/$665,500.
    6. Mokhtar, M, 28, 8/29/91, 5'9", 159, Morocco, Int#3, $459,996/$533,845.
    7. de Lima (Artur), M, 23, 3/11/96, 5'11", 154, Brazil, GC: $360,000/$411,633
    8. Afful, D, 33, 7/24/86, 5'6", 135, Ghana, GC, $288,100/$363,800
    9. Room, GK, 30, 2/6/89, 6'3", 179, Curacao & NED, Int#4, $300k/$354,694.
    10. Diaz, M, 20, 12/6/98, 5'11", 159, Costa Rica, Int#5, YDP, $300k/$333,900.
    11. Valenzuela, D, 21, 8/13/98, 5'6", 145, Argentina, GC, Int#6: $290,000/$321,300
    12. Wormgoor, D, 31, 11/16/88, 6'2", 179, Netherlands, INT#7, $???/$???.
    13. Tarbell, GK, 26, 10/7/93, 6'3", 193, USA, $200k/$235k.
    14. J. Williams, D, 31, 4/18/88, 6'2", 185, USA: $215,000/$215,000
    15. Adi, F, 29, 10/10/90, 6'4", 185, Nigeria, GC, $205,000 (of 1,933,333).
    16. Jimenez, D/M, 30, 11/3/88, 5'9", 145, USA: $200,000/$200,000
    17. Sjoberg, D, 28, 3/8/91, 6'7", 210, Sweden, GC, $174,996/$179,996.
    18. W. Francis, D, 29, 9/20/90, 5'9", 160, Costa Rica, GC, $160,000/$199,167
    19. Hamilton, F, 23, 3/17/96, 6'0", 176, Canada, HGI, $124,992/$137,659
    20. Cadden, D/M, 23, 9/19/96, 6'0", 168, Scotland, INT#8, $56,250/same (2019)

Cadden was Reserve last year. Guessing senior roster now.
    -----------
    2. Supplemental Roster: 3 of 4 Players (21-24)

A) Up to 4 players. Do not count vs. salary cap. Subject to SE Injury Replacement, Disabled List, and Loan exceptions.
    B) May include Senior Minimum Budget Players ($70,250), Generation Adidas players (who may earn more), and Homegrown Players (who may earn more).

21. Etienne Jr, M, 23, 11/25/96, 5'10", 160, Haiti/USA, $77,063/$82,063.
    22. Kempin, GK, 26, 4/8/93, 6'1", 175, USA: $71,664/$71,664.
    23. Lampson, GK, 30, 9/6/89, 6'3", 190, USA, $70,250/$70,250
    24. Open (Berry?)

Berry has probably made the team. Not official yet.
    ---------------

3. Reserve Roster (25-28). 1 of 4.

A) Players must be either earning the Reserve Minimum Salary ($56,250) or be Homegrown Players earning more via the HG Subsidy.
    B) Players must be 24 or younger during the League YEAR. As determined by Year of birth, not date (I am not sure what this means exactly, is someone who turns 25 during the season eligible or not?).
    C) Senior Min Players & GA Players cannot occupy these spots.

25. Berhalter, CM, 18, 5/10/01, 5'9", 155, USA, HG, $???/$???.
    26. Open
    27. Open
    28. Open

Cadden was here last year. Doubt it this. Feel free to switch Berhalter & Morris.
    -----------------------------------------

4. HomeGrown Reserve Roster (29-30). 2 of 2.

A) Must be Homegrown Players.
    B) Same Budget & Age rules as Reserve Roster 25-28 players.

29. Keita, D, 19, 4/6/00, 6'2, 180, USA, HG, $90,000/$110,000
    30. Morris, M, 18, 11/16/01, 5'10", 158, USA, HG, $???/$???.
    ---------------

7. Designated Players: 3 of 3

Zardes, Santos, Zelarayan.

Zardes & Santos both could be bought down with TAM.
    ---------------------------

8. International Roster Spots: 7 of 9 (lost one in Nagbe deal, got one in Abubakar deal, got one in Trapp deal).

Santos, Diaz, Room, Mokhtar, Cadden, Zelarayan, Wormgoor.

Hamilton DOES NOT count as an International. Home Grown International Rule. Etienne is dual US/Haiti.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/league/official-rules/mls-roster-rules-and-regulations
    ------------

9. Green Card Holders = 7.
    Mensah, W. Francis, de Lima (Artur), Afful, Sjoberg, Valenzuela, Adi.
    --------

10. Homegrown Players = 3.

Keita, Morris, Berhalter.
    ------

11. Drafted/Competing for a spot = 1?

1. Berry, F, 22, 9/16/97, 6'3", 180, Spain/USA?, San Diego State.

We retain rights to the other draftees, but Berry is the only one training with them now.
    -----------------------------------------

Any corrections, comments, etc are always welcome.

Draghignazzo, Pauncho, pericles and 2 others repped this.
  24. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's impossible to know the final roster hit number, presumably, but ESPN said this about the Tarbell deal:

TrueCrew and TRUJDUB repped this.
  25. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good info. It would be great if everyone was down a roster (Tarbell on Supp, Berry on Reserve). That would open a SR spot for CM reinforcements. But that is SJ eating an awful lot of salary.