2020 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by NorthBank, Mar 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We won 4-1 at Inter Miami. It was our most goals since a 4-0 win hosting Real Salt Lake on June 1, 2019, and our most goals away since a 4-0 win at Chicago in the Playoff Play-In Round on October 25, 2017. Mandela Egbo gave us the lead with a penalty kick in the 14th. Former Red Bull Juan Agudelo equalized in the 39th. Brian White scored in the winner in the 49th, and Benjamin Mines in the 85th and Daniel Royer in the 90+1st made it 4-1. Inter Miami had 65 percent of the possession, 65.6 percent of the passes, a much higher passing accuracy (77 percent to 61 percent), and more shots (14 to 10). We had to make triple the clearances, 15 to 5. We had more shots on target (5 to 4) and Inter Miami's Luis Robles had only one save. Corners and fouls were equal. Inter Miami got the only two yellows. We started David Jensen (GK); Aaron Long, Jason Pendant, Mandela Egbo, and Tim Parker (D); Dru Yearwood, Florian Valot, Jared Stroud, and Omir Fernandez (M); and Brian White and Mathias Jorgensen (F). We subbed Cristian Casseres for Yearwood (56th), Benjamin Mines for Fernandez (56th), Tom Barlow for Jorgensen (75th), Daniel Royer for Valot (75th), and Kyle Duncan for White (79th). We got 2 goals from starters and 2 goals from subs.

We are seventh of 14 in the East with 17 points from 13 games and a -2 goal differential. The East has 10 playoff clubs, with 7 vs. 10 and 8 vs. 9 in a first round that doesn't exist in the West. We have the same record as NYCFC, so we're tied in wins, which is the first tiebreaker. They are in sixth with a 0 goal differential. The regular season has 23 games. There are 10 games left, and the season ends on November 8, which is 45 games from today. MLS clubs just played midweek games and have seven weekend and three midweek games left.

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched.

Great to get 3pts. But the scoreline is a bit flattering perhaps.

We largely ceded possession to them. This game was still in the balance until the last 15 mins or so, when we broke it open.

Egbo and Mines had particularly good (breakout?) games. Both scored.

I don’t think Robles can be faulted for any of the goals. He’s still got what it takes to be a top keeper in the league, even when playing with a little knock apparently.

I still think it was a mistake to let him go.

3. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for that heads-up. His RB connections make it logical. But I'm a little nervous that he might not be high enough caliber. Don't know much about his coaching career but he managed Barnsley last season who sat in the Championship relegation zone much of the time, and AFAIK only avoided relegation because Wigan were docked 12 points.

5. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the opening 20mins where Impact were getting to us on the counter, we finally got total control and made this a very fun game. Especially for Royer & Kaku who were superb.

We’re now on 20pts,.. same as NYC.

P.s. it’s hard to imagine them announcing a change in coach this week, after two 4-1 wins in a row.

7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.fifa.com/news/everythin...-scoring-for-paris-saint-germain-against-nice says:

"Olimpico alert!
    Cincinnati midfielder Haris Medunjanin provided us with a rare kind of goal in Major League Soccer action. The Bosnian scored directly from a corner kick, otherwise known as an "Olimpico", named after Argentinian forward Cesareo Onzari, who scored in the manner against reigning Olympic Football champions Uruguay in 1924."

8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orlando beat us easily last night. Oh have times have changed.

We didn't play terribly but made some defensive errors which lead to their goals.

Strange how not long ago our back line with Long & Parker was just about the best in the league.

9. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Yes but we also had Lawrence and Murrillo along with Robles in goal

10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right. Robles is a massive loss (which I've lamented on ever since he was let go) And Lawrence was a beast... another huge miss. But Murillo was a rather weak link I always thought... not much better than Kyle Duncan. Egbo I haven't decided about yet... too small a sample size.

Also, last night they played a back 3 which is a big change from our vaunted back 4 of past seasons.

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the official announcement of Struber's appointment:
    https://www.newyorkredbulls.com/post/2020/10/06/new-york-red-bulls-name-gerhard-struber-head-coach

I just hope he's a stronger coach than his CV would seem to indicate. With us now being a club who makes below average player investments, he obviously needs to get us punching above our weight like some of our past coaches have done.

If he can be as effective as Jesse Marsch was I'd be pretty happy. I'd like more of course, but I'd settle for that.

I suspect this is probably the end for Brad Carnell at NYRB, and some of the other assistant coaches.

12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lost another. Beat by a top notch FK by Higuain... his first for Miami, for MLS.

But we were also beat by our profligacy in front of goal.

Hope The new coach can get his visa quickly, and can work a small miracle with some pretty weak caliber players.

13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yesterday afternoon I got an email from NYRB announcing 17YO Caden Clark signing an MLS contract. Interesting timing I thought.

Then just a few hours after that, he was in the XI at Atlanta.

Then 47' after that, he scored the game-winning and only goal in a match without much fire power. And a fairly bodacious volley from the top of the box at that.

Well done to the Medina WI lad.

And he allows us to retain our record of regular season dominance against ATL.

p.s. Seems like most of you have buggered off, but I'm still watching my Bulls ;)

14. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    ESPN wont allow me too. I havent figured a work around. Anyone know a good torrent site?

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure why you need ESPN. The vast majority of our games are on MSG, but one or two have been on Fox lately.

ATL game was on MSG. Next game is TOR and also MSG.

AND I just happened to notice that the venue Thurs is Rentschler Field in Hartford, one of my local footy venues. Kinda weird. I guess Toronto has been camped out in the USA because of border restrictions and calling CT temporary home??

17. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I now live in Buffalo

18. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    TFC fan. How are you guys feeling about Wednesday's match? I'm having a hard time getting a read on your team this year.

19. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Crapshoot. This team is hard to read. I would describe them as raw. Young enough with bravado so as not to be afraid of challenges but also young enough to fail to do the simple things need to close out games and win.

20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I have to say is who is this kid Caden Clark!!

He's scored the result-sealing goal in his last 2 games, after just being called up officially to the first team. Dream land.

And last night's goal was even more audacious as the one last weekend. A surprise, wonder strike from 20-some yards and little prep-time or back-lift.

21. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    The run by 22 opened up the space as I think that was a thru ball meant for him but Clarke is in the way, so Clarke took it.

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "22" is Florian Valot and he's been one of our best players since the restart. He was MOTM one of the last games IIRC.

Deadtigers repped this.
  23. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I couldn't see it was him. I really need to be able to watch games.

24. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the new coach hiring and couple of new players I think the franchise has finally turned the corner after the Armas error(era). This season is lost but I feel optimistic of better play starting next year.

25. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    We get the last seed in the playoffs and anything can happen