2020 player moves

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by SiberianThunderT, Oct 25, 2019.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The continuing story of O'Hara (it's a thread):

Also in the tweet thread from Goff, there's the even bigger story of Dunn possibly headed to Portland (where her husband works). However, Paul Riley denies the rumor.

CoachJon repped this.
  2. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Anything so far with Press and Heath?

CoachJon repped this.
  3. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deal to get Dunn to Portland (home with husband Pierre Soubrier) in progress.

I looked at Portland's roster, and I did not see anyone who might be available that had anywhere near equal value.
    I think NC's smartest move would be to offer Soubrier a job and move the family (and chickens) to North Carolina.

With NWSL expansion in 2021 and 2022 and with USWNT international tournaments in 2021 (maybe) and 2023, the value of USWNT players to a club is not well defined. Teams will also be tracking the Euros in 2022. In 2015 and 2016, Naimo and Riley drafted and built the squad to be "World-Cup proof" I think that is going to be a strategy that will apply to the next 3 years. NC and Washington will go after young players.

RE: A Trade. Cross out Sinc, Heath, Horan, Sauerbrunn, and Smith (POR would never let her go). Even though Kling loves UNC, at 32 she would not be part of a three-year plan at the Courage.
    Emily Menges (28, Garden City, NY and Georgetown) is high quality and not a national teamer, which means she would be around during call-ups. I don't know how strong her ties to Portland are. NC could rotate Emily and the two Abbys in the center, and if Riley went to a 3-back, they all would start. I think Tyler Lussi (25, Lutherville, MD, Princeton) is very good and a Paul Riley kind of player. I wouldn't put it past Riley to get Morgan Weaver (22, University Place, WA, Wash St. U) - he never met a scorer he didn't like.

Without Dunn, NC would have one less USWNT player to protect in expansion drafts.

4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Courage and Thorns both assert that someone has just made up the Dunn rumor.

CoachJon repped this.
  5. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Would have to be draft picks or large amount of allocation money. With Dunn and especially her defensive performance, you bet shes costly.

Reign Man repped this.
  6. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Boo you had to be a party pooper.

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Having seen pretty much every Crystal Dunn game for the Courage (being on the field for more than half of them), I can tell you that Dunn's defensive responsibilities for the team are are pretty non-existent. That's not to say, she doesn't forecheck and do her part of the team game, but her job is to break apart the opposing team's defense with her movement.

Yes, she plays left back for the U.S. Women's National Team, but that's just not her job at the club level with the Courage. Losing her wouldn't affect the Courage back line. With Daniels and a healthy Mathias, the Courage have one of the top outside back pairings in the league, and I've seen no indication that either of them are going anywhere. And as Mathias continues to rehab, the team has done pretty much everything but slot Dunn into the backline - even converting the end of career Heather O'Reilly to the job at the end of last season. And the early returns on Addisyn Merrick - who surprisingly won the starting job at the Utah tourney over a couple of second year players (and not Dunn) - have been very promising.

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #233 SiberianThunderT, Sep 10, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    59Amerinorsk and blissett repped this.
  9. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, it's been the stoty of the day on our Nadeshiko Japan thread. :giggle:

Women's World Cup winner Nagasato Yuki signs landmark deal with men's club

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stephanie Labbe was stopped from playing in PDL, so it will be interesting to see what happens. I can't find a specific rule in the FIFA statutes against it, but there are lots of FIFA rules and lots of places to look. I do know that the English FA specifically prohibits mixed gender teams after U18.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/stephanie-labbe-soccer

59Amerinorsk and sitruc repped this.
  11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Labbe's issue was an internal PDL ruling, IIRC, not anything FIFA-related. Similar I guess to England's rule prohibiting mixed-gender adult teams. Hopefully Japan's rules don't have that prohibition in place. Considering how rules-oriented Japanese society is, I would bet they figured out whether it was allowed or not before making the move, unlike with Labbe's PDL situation.

blissett repped this.
  12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #237 SiberianThunderT, Sep 10, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    In other news: Chicago have traded BYU alum Michelle Vasconcelos "back" to Utah in exchange for $55k of allocation money. Michelle grew up close enough to have played a HS final in RioT. Per Chicago's press release, it sounds like Michelle asked to be traded for family reasons.

Also interesting to see Utah continue to shell out allocation money freely. I think they've dished out the most of any NWSL club thus far?

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    FIFA stepped in a decade ago and kept Maribel Dominguez from playing for a Liga MX Ascension team (Celaya, I think).

Back around 98/99, Wendy Gebauer (Palladino) did make a sub appearance for the Raleigh Flyers, but I'm not sure FIFA was paying attention to minor league soccer in the U.S.

sitruc and BostonRed repped this.
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was in 2004. The funny thing is that the FMF wanted FIFA to make the decision and FIFA told FMF it was their call. Eventually, FIFA said "no." (At least, that's how it reads looking at old articles).

sitruc and AndyMead repped this.
  15. Reign Man

Reign Man Member

SEATTLE REIGN!
    Sep 28, 2016
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    FIFA also stopped Hope Solo signing for the men's Sounders in 2012 after both parties claimed it was a done deal.

blissett repped this.
  16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm late talking about this, but there was a roster deadline last week, when many teams have "officially" announced all the short-term contracts they've signed for the Fall Series now. I don't know NCAA and the Div2 leagues well enough to do a full analysis of everyone newly included, but it's a fun excursion if that's your thing. I was alerted to this when I saw a little bit of Twitter chatter around Kate Howarth, now with Orlando, longtime New England Mutiny player and consistently one of the best of UWS.

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Last week? Houston announced two new players on Wednesday.

I still haven't gotten a roster for Orlando, and I'm the official photographer who has to deliver captioned (can't tell the players without a scorecard) photos within an hour after the game. And the Pride website roster page lists two different players as #23 and two others as #26. Of course it also still lists Alex Morgan, so there's that.

18. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    :( sorry to see her go

19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    File under "potential":
    Apparently multiple NWSL clubs are looking into luring Bunny Shaw (JAM) away from Bordeaux (FRA), especially as she's expressed interest in coming back stateside. Would be the first real flexing of allocation money (as the potential deals for Maro, Bouhaddi, and Diani were disrupted by COVID).

20. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    she's got lots of tools and is probably well fitted to the NWSL. But I saw OL-FCGB last night and she was absolutely invisible.

21. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Maybe she had one of those games.

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Speaking of Jamaican players. The Courage have signed Havan Solaun to a short-term contract through the end of the year.

blissett repped this.
  23. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It did happen: Yuki Nagasato debuted with her new (men's) team Hayabusa FC vs Sano FC, as a 2nd Half sub, and made history:

In these highlights of the game you can see her warming up in first half (about 3':50"), being subbed in in 2nd half (about 7':50") and chatting after the game (about 11':15"):

If FIFA had something to object, they had to change their minds, since she's been interviewed about that on the FIFA front page.

24. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klingo3034, 59Amerinorsk and BostonRed repped this.
  25. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too late to edit the above, but I wanted to add the NWSL's press release on the three-way trade details what all went where:

--North Carolina Courage have traded Crystal Dunn to OL Reign in exchange for Casey Murphy and $140,000 in allocation money.
    --OL Reign traded Crystal Dunn to Portland Thorns FC for one international slot for the 2021 season, Portland’s 2022 natural first round NWSL Draft pick and $250,000 in allocation money, $50,000 of which is conditioned upon Dunn’s future NWSL playing status.

Klingo3034 and 59Amerinorsk repped this.