2020 Olympics

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by danielmak, Jul 5, 2021.

1. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    We're a couple week from the start of the football matches at the Olympics. In the past DTV has had a soccer channel. This was pre-Peacock. Does anyone know the plans for football matches at the Olympics?

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    BocaFan repped this.
  3. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    #3 danielmak, Jul 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    Thanks. That link lists all games on NBC Sports app but I thought that app was replaced by Peacock. Am I wrong about that?

EDIT: Looks like that app still exists, but I also looked on Peacock. For men's football, every game is listed for MD1 "Upcoming Replay" except Ivory Coast-Saudi Arabia, which is weird. I expect that would change. I can't see why they would not show 1 match, especially a match that wouldn't be shown on another channel.

4. YNWA Rob

YNWA Rob Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Nov 12, 2020
    Indiana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding is that the App (and the nbc olympics web site) is showing every minute of every event, and almost all of it for free (USA Men's basketball the exception).

5. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    An update regarding English commentary broadcasts.

I assume y'all discovered this as well if you have DTV, but just in case: NBC Sports, USA, and Olympic Channel are showing football games. The Olympic Channel is part of a higher tier package but I am currently getting that channel so I assume some deal was done to include the channel in lower tier packages.

These channels showed all but 2 men's games and replayed many later in the day that originally aired on a different channel (e.g., men's games that aired on the Olympic Channel were shown on NBCSN).

The NBC Sports App is showing games live and on-demand. The two games not aired on the other channels (Ivory Coast-Saudi Arabia and Honduras-Romania) are available on demand on the app.

I'm not making sense of Peacock but I guess the point is moot. They list games showing on delay but those games do not seem to be on demand. And they are missing the two that I listed above.

Some games feature walk-out and anthems but most do not. Argentina-Australia was started late by the Olympic Channel 10-20 seconds because it was very important for the host to talk about something or other.

The Ivory Coast-Saudi game featured a commercial during the second half during an injury break but I didn't look close enough to see if the commercial cut out time of the game or was inserted but no time was cut. I don't know if they made the same move during the first half since I had to take my dog out at one point. If there were no commercials shown then, I guess maybe they make this move sporadically. As an FYI, MSNBC has always been bad about using commercials during past Olympic Games football matches. If games are scheduled on MSNBC at some point and you can watch in some other way, I would avoid MSNBC, but I hate having commercials in the middle of a game.

6. YNWA Rob

YNWA Rob Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Nov 12, 2020
    Indiana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NBC Olympic Channel, when not showing an actual event, is full of these pre-packaged features on individual sports (just watched an extended explanation of how the shot put works, complete with a rundown on how much the contestants eat per day), individual athletes (long, untranslated interview with a Czech archer), life in Japan (something untranslated about and older woman explaining cooking to a younger woman), video essays on the geography of Japan and Tokyo, etc. Right now they are showing a feature of a Japanese robotics engineer who has designed a robot that can play basketball (just made a shot from half court!).

Another outstanding aspect of these features is that while there is translation, the original language on some of them plays louder than the English translation, so if you don't happen to know Japanese, too bad for you!

I suspect I'm going to keep turning to this channel. Totally different feel to the Olympics this year.

7. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    Amazing. NBC goes with a commentary team of Andres Cantor in English and Danielle Steel (who has a voice made for cartoons) for Brazil-Germany. The former is surprising because I assume NBC would be using him for this match on NBC Universo and the latter shouldn't be doing a match of this magnitude (or maybe any matches at all). This should have been Derek Rae and Robbie Musto.

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Interestingly, the commentary team is different on the NBC app from NBCSN or whatever TV channel a game is shown on.

Based purely on limited anecdotal evidence so far, I highly recommend watching on the app. Also, they have long (2 minute+) commercial breaks on TV (including one right before a PK was to be taken).

9. drt2k3

drt2k3 Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Wilmington, NC
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    The app is probably showing the world feed while the channel's are showing the NBC produced announcers

BocaFan repped this.
  10. YNWA Rob

YNWA Rob Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Nov 12, 2020
    Indiana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is true, but when I was watching men's volleyball this morning the web site switched to the nbc guys when the previous match ended and the USA match began.

11. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I did not notice any commercials except one during mens' football MD1 of the men's tournament but on MD2, NBC is showing very few games and 22 minutes into Brazil-Ivory coast they showed about 90 seconds of a commercial. They also did not show the walk-out or anthems on NBCSN but the app has those.

With that said, I am 4 games into MD2 and there have been problems with the sound dropping out on the app commentary. Basically letters from words drop out every few minutes. Did anyone else notice this? Or is this a case of me needing to re-start my Roku? If you check the Brazil-Ivory Coast game, you will notice this problem right away.

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I didn't notice the sounds dropping out, but in some cases the commentary was at a really low volume relative to the background/natural stadium noise.

I have been impressed with the viewing options on the NBC app though. You could watch literally any event! All basically free too. They could have charged $49 or something for the full Olympics viewing package, but luckily they didn't.

Only small complaints I have is the 'search' feature (with all that content you kind of need a good search engine) and the fast-forward/ rewind could be more smooth and user-friendly.

13. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    Most of MD 2 broadcasts on the Roku app had problems with sound dropping out.

Meanwhile they started the Germany-Ivory Coast game late on the on-demand version that appears on the app even though it was clear from the announcer that she was broadcasting from the beginning. And they ran 3 ads around minute 10. As is the case with football broadcasting in the US: two steps forward, one step back. The soccer channel always featured some screw ups but that channel *never* had commercials.