2020 Olympic Qualifying Team

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by AutoPenalti, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    No.

Pegasus repped this.
  2. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
  3. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2021 is last chance to hold Tokyo Olympic Games, agrees IOC chief

4. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Then who's to disagree?

autobus39 repped this.
  5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It only makes logical sense since they never want to have it in the same year as the World Cup (even if it is a Winter World Cuo.)

They also don't want it in 2023 cause that is too close to when the France one is supposed to happen.

Can't have Olympics back- to -back years and step on Paris' toes.
    (We also must consider qualifying/Trials and such.)

6. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    just make the next olympics a u27 tournament that will be fun

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Here's a supposed list of Mexico's best U-23 players. Two of them play outside of North America. Some of these LigaMX based players aren't even regular starters in that league. Once this age group makes up the prime-aged players on their NT, I don't know how they can compete with players like Pulisic, Adams, McKennie, Dest, Reyna playing at the top level in Europe. They have a few good players on that list (Macias, E. Alvarez, Alvarado, Montes), but it's the type of crop you'd expect out of Costa Rica, not Mexico.

ChuckMe92 and Patrick167 repped this.
  8. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ussoccer97531 and Winoman repped this.
  9. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Damn, no Mexicans and two of those 4 started in MLS academies!

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  10. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Just checked the list and Lainez is one of the 100 nominees. So it's 5 North Americans on the list.

Starman* repped this.
  11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    FOX only considers Canada and USA North America. For them Mexico is Central America.

Winoman repped this.
  12. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Pretty strong list, balanced and with lot's of experience at a young age. I think it's weird how LigaMX is severely underestimated considering most of these players are starters for some major LMX clubs.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Do we have any idea when qualifying is going to be?

14. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Would you mind sharing your impressions of some of the players you like the most from that group -- especially if they're not guys we might know as well from past youth national team involvement?

David Kerr repped this.
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Is anyone else worried that we have 22 players from '97-'00 capped for the NT, and not only are none GK's, we don't have any GK's starting in any first division that are eligible for this tournament?

I'm not suggesting it's going to have much of an effect on the NT (because you only play one at a time and they can play for 15 years if they're very good), but it does seem like MLS teams don't give enough of a chance to young keepers.

Patrick167 repped this.
  17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yes. Its been a problem since Steffen.
    And it hasn't mattered what development path they've taken post-academy (Europe, MLS, Mexico, NCAAs....................) Its not like Brady Scott is advancing.

I'd add I guess that I really didn't expect much from this generation. I wasn't expecting a lot from Jonathan Klinsmann, JT Marcinkowski, Matt Freeze, and company.

Keeper can be like that. You can have a 5 year drought. Then you have another generation come thru that provides the "next guy." So maybe the next USMNT keeper after Steffen comes from the Ochoa, Las, Odunze, Wady, Wilson, etc. group.

There are some major soccer playing countries that go thru keeping droughts. Argentina in the 2018 cycle is an example.

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think the way we judge the talent is to assess them prior to pro football. I don’t think we should be saying the group isn’t good enough because they don’t yet start. Having followed these players youth cycles and their careers within the academy league, I have always thought this crop of keepers was no worse than average. It doesn’t make sense to me that none have emerged yet. It’s not even like these guys have gotten chances to play and failed. They haven’t gotten chances to play. Outside of the Klinsmann nepotism, I also never was worried about the quality of keeper we were fielding with this crop with YNT’s.

19. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I don't know, the whole group always looked mediocre. They might not getting playing time for a reason. Won't be surprised at all if some college keepers whose names I don't even know will jump over them.

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't know. When I saw Howard as a youngster, I thought he had "it." When I saw Steffen as a youngster, I thought he had "it."
    I never got that feeling with any of the keepers in this U23 group.

Keeper can be a weird beast. Its a late-developing group, and there are big surprises that emerge when the players are hitting their primes. I had paid no attention to Nick Pope until I watched some of Burnley this season and thought "Who the hell is this? He's awesome!!" He's 28. His career is below. So when he was a U23, he was being loaned around the bottom of the barrel in the football league.

upload_2020-7-26_16-32-7.png

Zinkoff repped this.
  21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don’t think you need to be Howard or Steffen to be able to be given a shot to play.

22. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    The core of the U23 team of GK should be the 2017 U20 class right now. That was Brady Scott, JT Marcinkowski and Klinnsman. I don't know who'd be included there that was not on the team -- Scott was the youngster.

The 2019s had Scott, CJ Dos Santos and David Ochoa as the youngster.

Out of those five GKs, I haven't seen enough of Dos Santos, but the rest of them haven't impressed me much except Ochoa. And even he's not in the class of Howard, etc., but obviously super young.

Honestly, there's a reason 40%+ of the teams in the 2016 Olympics used one of their three overage players on the GK (out of 9% of the roster). GKs develop slower but the age restriction is the same.

23. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I've been talking about the same group but without Ochoa.

gogorath repped this.
  24. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I was agreeing!

butters59 repped this.
  25. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, who should be playing or get a shot to play?

97s
    Callender
    Marcinkowski
    Stajduhar
    Vom Steeg

98s
    Freese
    Silva

99s
    Avilez
    Ejimadu
    Lopez
    Muse

00s
    none

01s
    Ochoa
    Pulskamp

02s
    Rodriguez

03s
    none

04s
    Brady
    Emmings
    Slonina

For me, I'd guess that the three closest to playing are Marcinkowski, Vom Steeg, and Ochoa (not necessarily in that order). For everyone else, I'm not sure they are even close. Fortunately, the large majority of players on this list have fairly easy access to USL starts.

With GKs there are always late bloomers, but for now the 97-00 cohort simply looks rather weak to me.