2020 Olympic qualifying semifinal, US vs Mexico, Feb 7

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Feb 5, 2020.

1. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Can they? Sure. Will they? Maybe. We need to play even better.

One thing about the Olympics is that there are no weak teams. The limited field pretty much assures that all three groups will be groups of death with probably three and maybe all four teams very able to win the group. That, along with all the other factors about staying focused and avoiding injury, is what makes the double so unusual.

jnielsen repped this.
  2. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess you can call that a comfortable win although I didn't think we played particularly well.

Lloyd is combining well at forward, but, she looks like she's lost 2 steps, 4 inches on her vertical, and her shooting touch. She's going to need to ramp it up to have an impact at the Olympics. Father Time is undefeated.

Our midfield just stifles people.

If Rose Lavelle starts putting a higher percentage of her shots on goal, she has the potential to be the best player in the world.

It is a bit scary not getting your defense tested it in the entire qualifying tournament but they were good at the World Cup, of course, and you hope they can ramp it up with the Olympics.

jnielsen repped this.
  3. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least Canada which is the second best team in the tournament(IMO sorry) will be able to test them on Sunday. Obviously if they beat the USWNT, they will be technically the best team in the tournament.

4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    people said that about AROD for years.

5. Sam Miami

Sam Miami Member

Bayern Munich
    Germany
    Sep 11, 2019
    Thinking about a flight in for the final. Last chance (without going to Tokyo) to see Sinclair v Lloyd/Rapinoe in a meaningful match

McSkillz and jnielsen repped this.
  6. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    yes we won but no we are not improving nor have we been tested. I dont think this team beats another top 5 team like this. We look little different so far than under Ellis and I am hoping for more out of this coach.
    Now for the game...
    It seems obvious to me that some have seriously slowed down and thats a problem. Namely - Lloyd, Rapino and Heath Im not sure any of them can go 90 minutes at pace anymore. Maybe late game subs...if that? We have to move past them at this point. Canada is fast and if he starts them.... could be trouble for us.
    Wish we had a short passing game as promised. Its so easy to slip back into Ellis ball
    Press has to start... she is the most dangerous, along with Mewis... on the team.

7. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    ?? I thought it was that she had the potential to be paired with the best player in the world for years...

8. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, Lavelle has twice the talent...

jjmack repped this.
  9. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Lol. Maybe I misheard.
    But skying the ball over the crossbar is not a trait Which I want Rose to emulate AROD.

10. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    ??I don't recall that Abby skied the ball over the crossbar all that much...o_O

11. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
  12. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    dang, Hermosa Beach is the best beach town in the bleeping world! Only thing feel bad is for the people livng there ~~~ breakng into vehicles & stealing those 'residant parking decals; was about the most prized possession in all of LA!
    Lavelle was voted the 8th best player in the world by the Guardian website poll(and deservedly so)

13. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    "?? I thought it was that she (Arod) had the potential to be paired with the best player in the world for years..." (Abby)

If you are going to object to what people post, it might be good to read it first.

If they object to your objection, it might be good to read it then before doubling down?

I mean no biggie, but the mega font was awfully loud...