2020 National Team Thread [R]

Discussion in 'El Salvador' started by La Trucha, Jan 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rozr1

Rozr1 New Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Can't remember when I stop following but it was after another lackluster performance and DLC was still the coach. I believe I caught them live here in Houston sometime last year or 2 years ago against Jamaica cuz my pops wanted to go. They played decently that game.

Its the same old same old that has always frustrated me for the last decade or more with our national team. Defensively their is no intensity and always play way off their man letting the attackers make easy passes etc. Offensively their is plan, attacks always fall apart after 2 passes.

2. Futbol E.S. Por Vida

Oct 31, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Wow I was expecting a 3-0 loss or a 3-1 but not a 5-0 so far. Calling up some of players from inactivity and some of the players having their worse season was already a terrible mistake from the coach.

I'm not surprise why they wouldn't, but again like what some of the players said recently the organization on the federation staff and coaching staff is terrible.

3. Futbol E.S. Por Vida

Oct 31, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    If money is the issue we need Lara back. He was earning the same as DLC. The federation said it was too much money to keep him.

We could even get Ruben Israel back. He hinted in a recent interview he would like to come back to El Salvador to coach.

The federation really needs to build some infrastructure asap. "We don't have enough" shouldn't be an excuse anymore. For years the fans have been saying they're willing to donate some money to support the national team. Why not build some quality academies in each department, along side making it worth working for maybe some sort of scholarship program into universities. That was it's worth the hardwork. See how they could some how get some Nike and Adidas academy brought in with foreign quality coaches.

With social media and online funding what's their excuse? At least $1 (at least as a minimum) from each Salvadoran, the ones in the U.S., Canada, Australia, and the rest of the world going into direct funding they wouldn't have enough for what they need it for?

I still find it weird that they wanted De Los Cobos back when he's the coach around the time the match fixing was going on

slaminsams repped this.
  4. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Because, as evident in this quiet subforum, not every Salvadoran expat cares enough for the national team and would prefer to support USMNT, Socceroos or Canada instead. Lastly how do we know the money isn’t just going to go straight into the pockets of FESFUT officials?

It’s a pipe dream.

5. Rozr1

Rozr1 New Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Funding is definitely not the problem, many other countries in similar economic condition as El Salvador can field a better run national team then what we have last decade or so.

SamKnight repped this.
  6. Futbol E.S. Por Vida

Oct 31, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Yeah, we wouldn't know if the money would go straight to their pockets

7. Futbol E.S. Por Vida

Oct 31, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Oh I know. It's the federation constantly saying they aren't able to do what they want to do and help improve the national team because they don't have the funds for it.

8. Guanaco Azul

Guanaco Azul Member

Nov 17, 2015
    Club:
    Club Deportivo FAS
    I would love to have Israel back! he understands the Salvadoran players strength much more than DLC. One can dream.

Willsant87 repped this.
  9. Futbol E.S. Por Vida

Oct 31, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Ruben Israel superó un problema de salud y está listo para volver a dirigir
    https://www.elgrafico.com/futbol/Ru...isto-para-volver-a-dirigir-20201007-0013.html

"De salud ya estoy al 100 por ciento. Estoy seguro que el futuro le traerá a El Salvador grandes cosas", indicó el timonel charrúa, quien no descarta en un futuro no muy lejano volver a dirigir a la Azul."

10. halfnhalf89

halfnhalf89 Member+

Aug 19, 2008
    Pinning our hopes on a new coach just isn't going to cut it.

When I analyze El Salvador as a country I literally see no future.

It's a country whose economy relies on remittances and human labor as capital. Factor in violence and crime, who tf would want to invest in ES? Not even including climate change which will f*** up even more things.

What I saw today against a US "C" team was the financial/economic gap between the two countries. The players looked like they were in preseason when in reality they're close to being in mid season. There's been absolutely no improvement.

The US played a high pressure tactic game which ES couldn't handle. That's how the modern game is being played. This favors speed, fitness, and strength which ES doesn't have.

Which brings me to my second point. El Salvador strengths have always revolved around possession, ball skills, and individual play which for some reason is not being emphasized by DLC. Not until the second half did I see anything remotely close to it.

But the reality is I'm seeing less of it in our players. They don't seem to have it anymore. I also don't think it will be coming back anymore. The young talent is basically non existent.

The country has never made progress since the war.

Willsant87 repped this.
  11. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I disagree on the young talent part it’s there, clubs just don’t a give a crap about it.

12. halfnhalf89

halfnhalf89 Member+

Aug 19, 2008
    Throw out some names.

Who's the next Zelaya? Cheyo?

13. Futbol E.S. Por Vida

Oct 31, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    At this point it doesn't matter. We don't need one above average Salvadoran player. We need consistency through out all the position. It's not like before 2000s where a Central American national team can get a way with 1 or 2 good players. The professionalism in futbol in the country needs to be taken serious. Academies need to be taken serious too. For a country that claims to be a futbol nation, it's a joke. Having a above average player from the league or a "star" player should just be a bonus.

They basically say the same thing but more in depth

slaminsams repped this.
  14. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    No one?

15. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    They’re one offs that won’t be produced. And i don’t mean as in they can’t but those players had a thing that made them them. We have talent, it’s why young players get a chance to go abroad. But bc they are so BADLY conditioned they get sent back. No one wants to completely condition a player, especially with average work ethic.

Our soccer needs a complete revamp. From FESFUT needing to be wiped clean and bring in the Once deportivo owners to run it and get a good team working for our soccer, to a clean out of the first division owners and to do the same thing there. Our fields need to be improved. Our National League fitness needs to be improved. We have 4 ( i believe it’s 4 it could be 5) foreigner spots available, that’s a no. Make it two. Have each team require to have 5 youth, 3 U23 and 2 u20 on the first team roster at all times, and 2 u23 players playing at all times in the games. We have the reserva league but either fix it or create a u21 league and fix the u17 league as well. Have a WRITTEN plan each and every year how every national team will spend their time, the training schedules for that and the game possibility dates. It’s sad to see our soccer like this, because in all reality we could have the best team in this region if we weren’t so held back by our own.

slaminsams repped this.
  16. halfnhalf89

halfnhalf89 Member+

Aug 19, 2008
    Why does everyone here think Zelaya and Cheyo are super stars?

Both never made it to the levels of Díaz Arce and Cienfuegos....but they're the level all starting outfield players should be at to have any chance of qualifying for a WC.

I'm also talking about players like Osael Romero, Pacheco (RIP), C.Castillo, and R.Sanchez. I don't see any new players at the same level.

Willsant87 repped this.
  17. halfnhalf89

halfnhalf89 Member+

Aug 19, 2008
    Exactly......no one.

Am I the only one completely embarrassed by that performance on Tuesday?

Our first team got absolutely manhandled by a B/C team

Willsant87 repped this.
  18. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    No one is happy about this debacle, but I’m not surprised at the result. I stopped watching within 3 minutes of tuning in. I’ve been in a good mood in the 4th quarter of 2020, and I wasn’t going to let Selecta change that.

It’s like the 4-0 loss to Honduras all over again.

Cheyo and Fito were the best players Selecta had seen in a while. Fito has scored more international goals than Magico and Cienfuegos in less matches, and Cheyo stepped up when we needed him.

I loved Montes, Castillo, Osael, Pacheco and Sanchez as well. Who knows what could’ve been without the match-fixing but it is what it is.

19. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    The match fixing had a minimal effect. All those players were fine but even if they hadn’t fixed those games they weren’t getting past what they achieved. It’s not as if they would have done much more in the gold cup or WCQ’s but we have had that discussion already.

If we are honest Cheyo and Zelaya had some good games but if we zoom out they wouldn’t have even been noticed if they were born in Honduras or Costa Rica. They had talent but aside from a few years they were either injured or mailing it in. Both had/have terrible work ethic.

Their club careers abroad were a joke some of the guys abroad now have already done more abroad then either of them did.

The problem is we have no player development despite everyone knowing that is badly needed and our clubs are a joke. Our players work ethic is a joke compared to players from the region putting talent aside. They know they can mail it in and get a coach they don’t like fired which is insane. Real Esteli in Nicaragua has surpassed our clubs in just a few years.

The speed of the game left us behind several years back and not a single club in our country has made an effort to improve how they operate despite their being several ways they can establish partnerships with clubs abroad to help. There have been partnerships but not in ways that make the actual needed changes. If just one club took the time to develop players it would be a game changer but no one takes the time and effort to do it

Grimmjow316 and Willsant87 repped this.
  20. Futbol E.S. Por Vida

Oct 31, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I think the last stars for El Salvador but not internationally we had are Cienfuegos, Diaz Arce, and De Melo in their prime. Arturo Alvarez was just our above average player that the national team got really late. Cheyo was just a good player in Central American clubs but he's no star. Fito just had some shinning moments, he's no international star. He couldn't stay into form to stay in all the clubs he's been abroad.

Talking about youth players isn't a good idea either. Too many players have gone to good academies or big clubs youth teams and turned out to be flops when they got older, burned out, or just end up being average senior players.

International stars? I would say Magico and Jaime Rodriguez. Hugo Perez but he played for the U.S. basically their best playmaker that played the classic #10 role.

I'm pretty sure Nicaragua and Panama right now can beat El Salvador with just tactics alone. They been going through long processes with projects, camps, and really working to improve the national team. Panama are athletically and tactically more prepared than El Salvador right now. Nicaragua are really slowly improving but have been consistent with their growth. Even Nicaragua top clubs are improving slowly. In international competition it's slowly showing in club/national team side.

The top clubs in El Salvador are still living in the past too. Their all old looking stadiums that still have the late 70s and early 80s look. Their locker rooms and even their bathrooms look terrible. These are clubs that have won against big clubs back in their days against South American clubs, Mexican clubs, and CONCACAF championship. There's no professionalism in the league. In the beginning of the pandemic a lot of the players admit that most of the players in the league have another job since clubs either don't pay them on time or what they make isn't enough to make a living. One of the reason why the level of futbol has dropped. That won't motivate anyone to become pro in the league.

21. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Late replying but the Gil brother we just lost to Colombia was built in the Salvadoran second division and clubs in the first found it better to go for the washed up South Americans instead of taking a risk on the youngster. Who knows how many similar stories there are but good luck finding out that info here in the states.

22. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    A name that will always be forgotten because his stint was so short but I felt was on his way to be a star for us would have been Victor Turcios. Dude had the work ethic as showed on how he busted his ass to get back with RoPs after his big knee injury and got playing time in the final as they won the Finnish cup. Sadly home sickness and those awfully timed knee injuries did him in.

23. Blue_nation724

Blue_nation724 Member+

Mar 16, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    The mentality in our country in terms of soccer is killing us. When you have people in charge that just want $ and don’t care about anything else that’s how it’s gonna stay. I just wanna point out, we have actual professionals in our other sports who go and compete internationally and get ES gold medals. Our beach soccer guys are humble work hard and get opportunities abroad and perform. It’s sad to see us fall so low, and it isn’t even something that’s fixable right away. It would have to be projects upon projects to even get back on track.

slaminsams repped this.
  24. BKR inC

BKR inC Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Australia
    Sadly, I knew this result was going to happen, I actually believe the united states did the same thing Germany did against Brazil and took the foot of the pedal rather then us improving. Everyone been pointing out that this was their B side not even their A side.

As soon they hired De Los Cobos, i was one of the biggest advocate against due to a mix of the fact he hadn't coached in years and the last few clubs he had managed he was a disaster.

Most clubs are run by people who have no idea how to manage to improve the standards, hell they don't even know the basic skill of being a stepping stone club develop players and sell them profit. Example imagined if they had the right coaches develop a player and sell them for a million dollars, that would be enough to pay salaries of players coaches and staff for two years in El Salvador.

Stadiums are some of the worst, they are backdated, rusted and the fields are poor conditions which contribute to the slow paces.

Our club sides are semi professional at best, they don't allow a players association and continue to ignore the professional rules. everytime they get threatened to be punished for upgrading their stadiums or paying their players they extended until the law gets involved.
    Clubs always hire the same coaches Nelson Ancheta just achieved his 18th club in the first division (In the bundesliga the highest is 8)

Hell I am jealous of the coaches honduras, panama and guatemalan first division team bring to their leagues.

slaminsams and Blue_nation724 repped this.
  25. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Looks like DLC will be fired. https://www.elgrafico.com/futbol/Eugenio-Calderon-De-los-Cobos-se-va-20201211-0012.html So now they will loose a lot of money on a guy who won’t be coaching anymore and have to pay someone new when they say they don’t have much money. At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if they put Gochez in since for some reason they all like him. It doesn’t matter who is running fesfut the level of incompetence never fluctuates much except sometimes it goes up like firing Lara and lying about why it clearly wasn’t about the money

SamKnight and Blue_nation724 repped this.