2020 MLS Week 18 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by rh89, Oct 14, 2020.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, agree 100%. For me it comes down to this...

If VAR was about getting the best or expected call in every controversial situation, I think you could make a strong argument that the soccer world wants the goal (or red card/PK if the goal had not been scored).

But as we all know, VAR has been instituted on the premise of correcting clearly wrong decisions and, having looked again, you absolutely can say the foul against the attacker has video evidence that makes it perfectly reasonable or credible or pick whatever synonym you want. It's not clearly wrong to say the attacker charged the goalkeeper first. So I don't think you can say--as I did initially--that this is a VAR failure.

Now, the problem is that not every competition authority, including PRO, has stuck to what I would define as the "clearly wrong" principle and has occasionally made pronouncements more along the lines of finding the most correct call. And that is why I am still interested in what, if anything, PRO will say here, particularly given the attention it got from Vermes.