2020 MLS Week 1 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by TheRealBilbo, Feb 26, 2020.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IASocFan repped this.
  2. FootyPDX

FootyPDX Member

Portland Timbers
    England
    Nov 21, 2017
    Still scratching my head on this one. Elfath was close enough to see it, but i can understand why at full speed he might have thought the GK got the ball. I'm really confused as to what happened in the VAR booth though. It's obvious from just the angle shown on this video that the GK simply takes out the player from behind. Maybe the lack of petulant reaction from Mora made it seem as though it didn't happen? (kind of funny because so many complain about players having "reactions" but refs oftentimes cite a lack of reaction as confirmation of their calls)

PRO completely ignored that it happened on their weekly review segments as well. Which makes me question whether or not there were communications issues at that point in the game. Who knows, because they gave the second penalty which was softer than this.

3. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    I think they ignored it cause it's just a judgement call that the ref missed, isn't much to learn from it.

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No idea what is behind these tweets, but they're in response to PRO's tweet of the week in review:

1236086916677857283 is not a valid tweet id

1236087624026263552 is not a valid tweet id

5. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hison36680150 with 14 followers, huh?

Scrabbleship, RefIADad and JasonMa repped this.
  6. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I’m completely trusting the opinion of some random Twitter account that has a photo on his profile that looks like a diaper. :)

Especially without any link or evidence showing otherwise. We wonder why 38% of people polled think you will get corona virus by drinking Corona beer, here’s an example.

7. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #82 MassachusettsRef, Mar 7, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    Irony of ironies, that's actually not what the poll said.

It said that 38% of beer drinkers won't drink Corona under any circumstances (e.g., they don't like it). A very small subset of that 38% likely had the ridiculous opinion that you cite. It also didn't help that the poll framed a question as "in light of the coronavirus, do you plan to stop drinking Corona?" because that suggested a correlation between the beer and virus for anyone not paying close attention to the news.

The media took a garbage poll from a public relations firm, created some clickbait headlines that simply weren't true, and a myth was born. So now we have people believing that 38% of people believe Corona beer can cause coronavirus, even though there's evidence and data that refutes that claim... all because of how the data incorrectly got framed.

JasonMa repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To clarify, I wasn't quoting that guy because I thought he was right, but I thought maybe he had some kernel of truth in his statements that he had misinterpreted. That maybe the IFAB had stated something about DOGSO that kind of matched what happened here but didn't actually apply to this case or something.

Or he could just be completely full of it.

9. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m unaware of anything and it seems really doubtful.

JasonMa repped this.
  10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bad for posting it. After responding to the poster it turns out he's just a troll who really dislikes Howard Webb and Greg. He's got nothing but pointing to the LOTG and claiming "see, they didn't really mean that".

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  11. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My larger point is that people are dumb and that I don’t trust some random tweet unless or until I see more credible proof.

Regardless of whether that poll is true, we are in a World now where people are, on the whole, pretty dumb. And it often shows up when people try to play referee on social media without a clue about the rule.

12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are way off topic, admittedly, but I think the point I was trying to make is important. So with no offense intended...

This is the problem. You were essentially making the point that people need to verify information and ensure sources are trustworthy. But you used an example to reinforce your point that was, itself, false.

Yes, some random Twitter user with no verification, about a dozen followers, and no verifiable sources whatsoever and an allusion to "Anthony at IFAB" probably can be easily dismissed. But in the world we live in, where information flows instantaneously, editors are a luxury that few publications employ (certainly relative to social media) and there is an incentive for clicks... false information can flow--more broadly and readily, in fact--through much larger outlets, too. Just look at the British tabloids and, specifically, the article from a couple weeks ago about two EPL referees failing their FIFA fitness test (which was about 95% either untrue or misleading).

The lesson is we need to verify, where possible, primary sources and read critically no matter the outlet we see something in. The tweets from this account were just as false as headlines from major online news publications relative to the Corona beer polling.

So, the truth is more like "no wonder why people believe there is a poll that 38% of Americans won't drink Corona due to the corona virus" instead of "no wonder why 38% of people polled think you will get corona virus by drinking Corona beer."