2020 MLS Week 1 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by TheRealBilbo, Feb 26, 2020.

1. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    It’s been somewhat traditional the someone puts up MLS assignments before the games start. Here we are quite a while after the assignments have been posted and ‘crickets.’ So I will copy them and paste them here.

I also have misgivings that someone hasn’t posted a thread about changes to the MLS roster. Someone needs to step up! I rely on you guys ![emoji2955]

Anyhow, here goes...

The assignments for Week 1 of the 2020 Major League Soccer season:

02/29/20

D.C. United vs Colorado Rapids
    Audi Field (1PM ET)
    REF: Nima Saghafi
    AR1: Peter Manikowski
    AR2: Adam Wienckowski
    4TH: Fotis Bazakos
    VAR: Guido Gonzales Jr
    AVAR: Craig Lowry

Montreal Impact vs New England Revolution
    Stade Olympique (3PM ET)
    REF: Chris Penso
    AR1: Nick Uranga
    AR2: Jeremy Hanson
    4TH: Pierre-Luc Lauziere
    VAR: Malik Badawi
    AVAR: Robert Schaap

Houston Dynamo vs LA Galaxy
    BBVA Stadium (3:30PM ET)
    REF: Jair Marrufo
    AR1: Frank Anderson
    AR2: Micheal Barwegen
    4TH: Alejandro Mariscal
    VAR: Jose Carlos Rivero
    AVAR: Ian Anderson

San Jose Earthquakes vs Toronto FC
    Earthquakes Stadium (5:30PM ET)
    REF: Armando Villarreal
    AR1: Jeffrey Greeson
    AR2: Mike Rottersman
    4TH: Greg Dopka
    VAR: Younes Marrakchi
    AVAR: Michael Kampmeinert

FC Dallas vs Philadelphia Union
    Toyota Stadium (6PM ET)
    REF: Robert Sibiga
    AR1: Jason White
    AR2: Eric Weisbrod
    4TH: Elton Garcia
    VAR: Kevin Terry Jr
    AVAR: Jonathan Johnson

Orlando City vs Real Salt Lake
    Exploria Stadium (6PM ET)
    REF: Rubiel Vazquez
    AR1: Andrew Bigelow
    AR2: Benjamin Hall-Volpenhein
    4TH: Marcos DeOliveira
    VAR: Sorin Stoica
    AVAR: Kyle Longville

Nashville vs Atlanta United
    Nissan Stadium (8PM ET)
    REF: Drew Fischer
    AR1: Kathryn Nesbitt
    AR2: Logan Brown
    4TH: Rosendo Mendoza
    VAR: Jon Freemon
    AVAR: Jeff Muschik

Vancouver Whitecaps vs Sporting Kansas City
    BC Place (10:30PM ET)
    REF: Ted Unkel
    AR1: Brian Poeschel
    AR2: Corey Rockwell
    4TH: Michael Radchuk
    VAR: Geoff Gamble
    AVAR: Rene Parra

03/01/20

Columbus Crew vs New York City FC
    MAPFRE Stadium (12:30PM ET)
    REF: Ramy Touchan
    AR1: Felisha Mariscal
    AR2: Chris Elliott
    4TH: Lukasz Szpala
    VAR: Chico Grajeda
    AVAR: Ian McKay

New York Red Bulls vs FC Cincinnati
    Red Bull Arena (1PM ET)
    REF: Dave Gantar
    AR1: Eric Boria
    AR2: Gianni Facchini
    4TH: Kevin Broadley
    VAR: Jorge Gonzalez
    AVAR: Thomas Supple

Seattle Sounders vs Chicago Fire
    CenturyLink Field (3PM ET)
    REF: Alex Chilowicz
    AR1: Jeremy Kieso
    AR2: Cory Richardson
    4TH: Ismir Pekmic
    VAR: Victor Rivas
    AVAR: Fabio Tovar

Los Angeles FC vs Inter Miami
    Banc of California Stadium (5:30PM ET)
    REF: Allen Chapman
    AR1: Brian Dunn
    AR2: Oscar Mitchell-Carvalho
    4TH: Baldomero Toledo
    VAR: Ricardo Salazar
    AVAR: Cameron Blanchard

Portland Timbers vs Minnesota United
    Providence Park (7:30PM ET)
    REF: Ismail Elfath
    AR1: Kyle Atkins
    AR2: Corey Parker
    4TH: Joe Dickerson
    VAR: Edvin Jurisevic
    AVAR: Joshua Patlak

IASocFan and jarbitro repped this.
  2. jdmahoney

jdmahoney Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Plymouth, MN
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I have heard from a reliable source that Rosendo Mendoza, Victor Rivas and Guido Gonzales have been promoted to the full time roster. Not sure about ARs or people coming off. There was some realignment within the development group, but I don’t remember the full details on that.

3. gaolin

gaolin Member+

Apr 21, 2019
    Isn't Mendoza like 28?

4. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is correct.

Another noteworthy point is that Manikowski passed fitness after being injured last year, so he's back on the field, as you see Week 1.

Stott hasn't yet passed fitness, which accounts for his exclusion at this point. I point that out only because "did he retire?" is always an inevitable question, but he hasn't.

There are other fitness issues, which probably are or will become obvious like in past years. But I don't think I have the exhaustive list.

5. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://proreferees.com/roster/referees/

Been updated for a while.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  6. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    IASocFan, GoDawgsGo and socal lurker repped this.
  7. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I'm happy to see that MLS is not going to draw lines for OS reviews. But I wish that they had said they were doing it to keep with the spirit of only identifying clear and obvious errors.

8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was waiting for this, too.

The big news here is:

1) The threshold for retaking PKs is going to be rather low, compared to what we've become accustomed to in European leagues in 2019-20. I think we could see something closer to WWC than UEFA, quite honestly. Some MLS officials were surprised by the standard being instructed, from what I've heard. But we'll see where implementation lands.

2) Everything still requires an OFR. Given the "accidental handling" and PK retakes do NOT require an OFR in the EPL and that actually seems to work decently well, this might be something that is jarring or annoying for MLS fans. We are talking about things that are objective, so the need for an OFR seems non-existent. But PRO wants to be consistent on using OFRs for anything that could change the outcome of the call, as you heard in this video. I think with, for example, PK retakes this could become very frustrating and lead to some unforeseen issues.

9. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Key point on goalkeeper infractions on penalties is that it will only be reviewed if there is a save.

10. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It dawns on me that American soccer fans who focus primarily on MLS & EPL really are going to have whiplash. They are going to be subjected to two extremes regarding VAR.

MLS is the only league in the world, I believe, that requires an OFR for all reviews that could result in a call being changed. While that's allowed by the IFAB Handbook, it is never recommended and in fact it's explicitly stated that any "objective" decision (offside position, GK encroachment, location of DFK/penalty, accidental attacking handling) can/should be changed without an OFR. But MLS prefers the consistency of doing an OFR for everything.

Meanwhile, the EPL goes the exact opposite route and does everything possible to avoid OFRs, going so far as to violate the Handbook (no OFRs on penalties or infractions prior to goals) and having such a high threshold for red cards that an OFR has occurred either once or twice all season.

With any match the USMNT does following IFAB/FIFA standards, things could get really confusing (and, of course, quite annoying and frustrating on this board!).

JasonMa repped this.
  11. incognitoind

incognitoind Member

Apr 8, 2015
    I don’t believe officially, but this has always been their threshold for intervention. Both on the encroachment by GK and by attackers/defenders their infraction has to have material impact on subsequent play.

Also, the additions on the AR side are BJ Hall-Volpenhein and Ian McKay (one of which is a contributor to this site - and no it’s not me)

12. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Trying to remember the WWC goal keeper issues...

Didn’t they require the keeper’s foot to be physically on the ground on the line, instead of on or over, which is the way it’s being enforced (interpreted?) now?

There was also some grumbling about the requirement to yellow card the keeper if she committed an offense?

13. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    As an MLS fan, I think this is a good thing.

14. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The issue was that it was treated as an objective, black & white issue. If video showed conclusively that a goalkeeper had left the line early by, let's say, 5 mm, then the kick was retaken and the yellow card was given. There was no discretion on enforcement.

The amount of enforcement led to FIFA getting permission from IFAB to not require the yellow card during KFTM in the knockout stages.

Given we'll have OFRs in MLS and just knowing some of the personalities involved, I don't think it will be that bad. But sometimes it's hard to remember for the masses that these are now completely different rules for the PRO officials even though we've been aware of them for a year and working with them for 9 months. I'm sure some are surprised, but many PRO officials (definitely the ones who don't regularly watch European leagues) aren't even fully aware of some of the changes until January of the following year, when they first get instructed. They don't want to confuse anything and learning new information that is irrelevant to them until the following year isn't a high priority. So, again, this is new and the instruction is new (I would guess Barkey and others didn't give it much thought at all during 2019). I think there will be growing pains here.

15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean the MLS approach is good?

16. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Yes, and VAR as implemented in the EPL is a bad thing.

17. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Here are videos of VAR PK calls from Scotland v Argentina and Nigeria v. France for reference. I don’t recall if there were others.

18. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    No. New law14, which is what they applied, is clear that it on or above.
    Grumbling, yes, but the Laws are black and white that any GK infraction is a caution. (IMO, that was and remains a stupid law change, but that is clearly the law as it stands today.

19. GearRef

GearRef Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Jan 2, 2018
    La Grange Park, Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the 2020 season, Adidas has decided not to design a new referee kit, so the 2018 model will remain in use, with the addition of colored socks (as seen in UEFA competitions).

20. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a result of Adidas losing the UEFA contract. No need to design a new kit for EURO. Unless they somehow grab the EPL one day, I think the days of regular Adidas updates are gone. It’s going to be a four-year cycle with the World Cup.

RefIADad, IASocFan and GearRef repped this.
  21. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve always been a fan of colored socks since I started seeing referees wear them. Don’t really have a good reason why.

voiceoflg repped this.
  22. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Be quiet! The last thing I want is a collection of different colored socks!!!!!

IASocFan and refinDC repped this.
  23. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I like the colored socks also, at the levels where you are guaranteed one game a day. It isn't practical for those of us who work four games in a tournament a day with 10-15 minutes between games. Heck, if I have five or more in a day, I try to wear all five colored jerseys.

jarbitro and RefIADad repped this.
  24. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Controversy in Nashville with an offside flag going up then coming down, leading to a goal. Fischer appears correct to have waved it down, but that’s not a good look for any game—never mind this one on network broadcast.

sitruc, billf, IASocFan and 3 others repped this.
  25. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll get more airplay, too, as the debut game of a new team in its home stadium. I mean, players should know better now that VAR is going to look at everything, so they should play, but it'll be the big talking point anyway.

voiceoflg repped this.