PBP: 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by KCbus, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Soccerglue

Soccerglue Member

Jul 24, 2005
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahaha no I have it muted, I cannot stand most of the announcers for MLS games.

2. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Sorry. It sure as hell looked like he did. His body language was telling the player that the only reason he wasn’t getting a caution was the preceding foul. Chickenshit refereeing.

mfw13 and Soccerglue repped this.
  3. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except for Larios running at people, Dallas seemed to have no idea what to do to try to get a goal.

Soccerglue repped this.
  4. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're going to call a yellow card, and a second yellow in a playoff game at that, for a foul that didn't even wind up being the reason play was stopped, that foul needs to be so severe that the caution can't be avoided. I didn't think the foul Bressan committed was THAT BAD. He got into the guy, but he wasn't flying in with a great deal of force, he wasn't showing studs, he wasn't over the top of the ball -- it's a perfectly acceptable decision to just warn him.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  5. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle advances.

6. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I think ref just got it right, wasn't quite hard enough to endanger the opponent. The commentary was wrong obviously. He could have given it if wanted to.

7. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Live I thought he came in with more force and thought it deserved yellow. Replays showed it wasn't as hard of contact as I initially thought. I am ok with no yellow there.

KCbus repped this.
  8. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    If you’re going to commit a foul in the late stages of a playoff game when you’re sitting on a yellow you better make damn sure that said foul isn’t wreckless.
    Oh...the ref ruined the game by sending someone off? No....the player ruined the game by getting himself sent off.
    And this ref clearly was telling Bressan that he wasn’t getting a caution because of the precious foul. That’s just flat out bullshit. Bush league refereeing by this guy.

mfw13 repped this.
  9. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, doesn't mean it's not a foul, but did Bressan get a touch on the ball there? I think the referee may have been going for it until the AR said something?

Because here's the thing, if Bressan has committed a foul, that's where the free kick should be because of advantage. But if you decide there's no foul, then you have a case of advantage not materializing, and you pull it back to the first one. Is that what happened? I wouldn't agree with the call, but it would at least make logical sense.

10. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking one more time, I don't think there's any ball before the man, but the sequence really only makes sense if they decided there was no foul by Bressan, right or wrong.

11. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I listened to a brief post game interview with Schmetzer. In this era of coaches with massive egos he comes across as refreshingly modest and even tempered. He gave Luchi a lot of credit. It sounds like he's very reflective and also asks his players and coaches for self-examination. He's quite different from most other coaches.

12. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if two fouls happen in quick succession, it's not uncommon to punish the first foul.

13. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree.

Agree even more.

Sorry, but you're just flat-out wrong here. Even if the first foul hadn't happened, there's still more than enough cause to say that the foul was deserving of a verbal warning and not a caution. We see it all the time. The foul wasn't severe enough that it landed in "automatic caution" territory, and it certainly wasn't in "automatic SECOND caution" territory. And since the first foul DID happen, it does change things, whether you like it or not.

If the first foul is the reason for the stoppage, the "stopping an attack" or "tactical foul" element for an unsporting behavior caution are no longer in play. It's strictly about was this foul severe enough to warrant the caution. Now, if your opinion is that it WAS serious enough, I don't have a problem with that. He absolutely could have cautioned him and sent him off, and it would not have been out of line. But it was not anywhere near "bush league bullshit."

14. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno. I can think of and/or imagine examples where the second incident was a bit doubtful or trifling so you punish the first one that was certain, but by Law if there are two definite fouls by the same team in quick succession, it should come down to which provides the offended team with the more advantageous restart. If Bressan's tackle had occurred in the penalty area, for example, and was determined to be a foul, you're not going to give a free kick for the first foul instead. It would have to be a penalty. Similarly, there's no reason to pull the ball 10–15 yards back upfield unless you've decided there was no foul by Bressan.

Ismitje and SccrDon repped this.
  15. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right about the free-kick-becomes-penalty scenario, but I've seen situations like this one handled both ways. I've seen it interpreted as foul-advantage-foul, punish the second foul, and I've seen it interpreted as foul-advantage-foul-advantage didn't materialize, punish first foul.

I think the fact that the first foul was cautioned and the second "foul" wasn't makes it easier to sell. He's punishing not only the first foul, but the more serious foul. It also makes it easier to swallow why he's not cautioning the second one.

I've got no issue with anything he did. It's all judgement. And as I said, if he HAD decided to toss Bressan, it would have been harsh, but I wouldn't have really had a problem with that either.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  16. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    So if the second foul wasn’t severe enough to warrant a caution....wtf was so “well handled” by the referee? That’s pretty routine. Isn’t even controversial. Certainly doesn’t warrant a comment about it. You commented to compliment the referee for not giving the second caution because he was cautioning the first. Not giving a yellow isn’t controversial. Not giving a yellow you clearly think the foul deserves because you’re concerned that this is a big game and you’re about to send someone off is. And it’s bad refereeing....and shouldn’t be complimented.

and the play hadn’t stopped. He played advantage on the first foul.

edit: didn’t hit send last night. I assure you I didn’t stew over this all night!

17. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's NER's turn on the rack.. 2 players have tested positive for COVID. The rest of the team has tested negative, but they'll continue to test (obviously) and may know by Friday if it is contained.

18. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't know if I'm ready to live in a world where Taylor Twellman's reporting is factually inaccurate. Next you'll tell me the Earth is round and vaccines work.

Chesco United and Russ Freistat repped this.
  19. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I can't stand TT's commentary (corporate schill), I must admit he has had some good reporting scoops in the last couple years. And his comtacts on all things Revs have to be his strong suit.

Also admire his earnest work on concussions.

StarTime and Chesco United repped this.
  20. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    According to my DVR, the match tonight isn't on FS1 until midnight. Is this true?

21. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's probably the replay. Tonight's game is on FOX at 8:30PM ET

Chesco United and Dead Fingers repped this.
  22. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Regular Fox

23. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, our local intrepid Crew reporter tweeted that coach Porter said 2 of our players who tested positive last week will be cleared to train this week. One tomorrow and one Saturday. With more possible early next week. Would not say whom.

24. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any word on Pulido's status for tonight?

25. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    #1449 Dead Fingers, Dec 3, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2020

And Dotson is in fact on the bench.

26. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go Minnesota. ;)

I would like to apologize in advance to all MNU fans for jinxing your team and guaranteeing an SKC win.

Dead Fingers repped this.