PBP: 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by KCbus, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I am sure Dempsey, Donovan and Pulisic are laughing at this...From the coach sabotaging two of the best attacking players in US history to his son sabotaging the best attacking player in US history. JK tried to play him up as an 8 and it got him fired. MB forced his move to the six under Bruce and it got him fired and the US out of the world cup.

2. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    What is complicated about leaving a crap city in a crap soccer country? I would pay money to get out of the US if I was a professional soccer player. Yedlin has what over a hundred starts in the EPL and championship. That is a failure? He fell off the bus recently because he decided to care about other marketing agendas and not playing right back. I got abused on this forum for telling everyone 5 months before it happened that Yedlin was not focused on football and was getting worse.

3. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Bradley + Vela = Bad Telenovela

Schmetz easily the best US football coach of the last decade. Much better choice for national team than Beerholder who should be running at club football level at his age and forget the National team.

4. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I will say this about his speed: he could be faster if he worked on bulking down. He's going to crash his knees sooner or later.

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    More or less boneheaded than FCD trading him to LAFC in the first place? :)

It all comes down to salary cap shenanigans. Zimmerman is on a big contract.

I sorta wonder about Zimmerman. He also went on extended trials in Europe, and got zero interest. He ended up in Norway & Sweden, and couldn't garner a contract offer. Ponderous.

6. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I wonder if Schmetz would want the US Nats job, many coaches don't want national team jobs. Would it pay more for him?

7. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno.. Vanney has been just as good, if not better than Schmetzer. As for Schmetzer leaving the Sounders for the USMNT.. I don't know about that. Schmetzer has been associated with the Sounders in some capacity since 1980 and a fan since they were founded.. Coaching the Sounders is pretty much Schmetzer's dream job and I really don't see him leaving until he is forced out, or retires.

8. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS playoffs are set-up similar to the World Cup knock out rounds. The games are seeded based on regular season position within each conference, with the games played at the home of the highest seeded team, and the games are all single elimination.

You can find the bracket for the playoffs at the link below so you can see what the playoffs are like:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/mls-cup-playoffs/2020/bracket

In your example, since Philadelphia lost last night, they are now eliminated from the playoffs and are done for the year.

9. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I like the guy because he's not anything other than what he is: a very good defensive ball coach. He's not a power point pony or an inverted maestro reverse cowboy. He brings in his team. He watches his team. He builds his team. He plans for the next match and he has consistently delivered. Bruce and Bob get all the attention because they need it, but I'd love to see the guy for the nats team rather than a too raw too irritating beerholder.

10. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I get that you don't like Berhalter and that's entirely fine, Berhalter was 7 years into his head coaching career when he was tapped as USMNT coach. That's not exactly what I'd call raw.

I also don't necessarily disagree with you that Schmetzer would be a good USMNT coach. I just don't think he'd take it. Schmetzer and his family are the embodiment of not just the Sounders, but the soccer culture in Seattle and Schmetzer seems to recognize that.

JasonMa, mfw13 and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  11. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    If you put Schmetz in front of the badge and said, yes or no? I'd put good money on yes. I could be wrong.

You coach a national team in my opinion after your 20th year of coaching. When you have consolidated a lifetime of game plans, management, structure, personalities and above all, wins. I liked beerholder a heck of a lot better as a player at Rostock than I do as a coach at this time. He has not learned to be himself yet. He still panders.

12. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I guarantee I put you on a 5 man back line with a 3 to 4 man bank in front of you and you'd look like the next Cannavaro.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    4 Crew players in isolation from positive Covid tests. 2 on Sunday, 2 on Tuesday.

sitruc repped this.
  14. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I like how hundreds, nay thousands of professional athletes have died. The ghost of Ronaldo has scored some great goals. Seriously, at which point does this nonsense end? Read the government and official scientific reports people. Old, fat, already sick. Sportsmen are better than fine.

Go freedom.

15. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are aware that dying is only one result of catching covid, right? In the case of athletes, you aren’t wrong that most will recover just fine, but there have been several athletes that have developed heart conditions, which, as you can imagine, is detrimental to their careers. We also won’t know the full impact to the players that catch covid. Heart issues, in particular, can be difficult to catch and isn’t something that is always checked for among young, physically fit people.

16. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Sam, we're glad you came back and joined the PBP thread. But we're not really the best place to debate Greg Berhalter as USNT coach or to debate Covid protocols. These things just are in the context of this thread, and we don't need to argue them herein. There are places for folks to do so elsewhere on the site.

JasonMa, sitruc, jaykoz3 and 5 others repped this.
  17. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    They do have parents and family though. And the hospitals are full.

JasonMa, onefineesq, sitruc and 3 others repped this.
  18. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    While you're right in that athletes are highly unlikely to die from COVID, the long-term impacts on a person's health are unknown at this point.

And all indications are that people who recover from COVID nevertheless are at heightened risk for other health complications.

JasonMa, sitruc and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  19. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The two things against Schmetzer becoming NT coach are .... which thread is this?

jaykoz3 repped this.
  20. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    So....different playoff-related question.....what next for LAFC?

Second year in a row they've gotten bounced by the Sounders, and fourth year in a row they've conceded three goals in the game in which they were eliminated.

Seems like they are going nowhere unless they improve their defense, but they've already got all three DP spots allocated to attackers.

Or do they fire Bob Bradley....

21. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd also like to point out that my friend Ismitje is being a lot more diplomatic than I feel like being, and I'll leave it at that.

JasonMa, onefineesq, sitruc and 3 others repped this.
  22. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ignoramus maximus.

JasonMa repped this.
  23. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And I could mention a few (hundred) soccer coaches that are old, out of shape if not fat, and even diabetic.

But hey, young athletes - amirite?

JasonMa, AlbertCamus and sitruc repped this.
  24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Holy shit. Is LAFC already four seasons old? Damn.

RafaLarios, Dirt McGirt and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  25. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    No, they’ve only been in the league 3 seasons, starting in 2018.