2020 is mercifully over (CY and RSL-Y): Offseason News and Discussion

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by goobx1, Nov 2, 2020.

1. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Also, not a single question about Freddy?

Wowzers.

I bet their arms were tired from throwing all those softballs at Elliott.

2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The baffling thing to hear, even after the players we've lost, is Fall still think that the club needs to wait for an academy player to show signs of being a first team player before signing them to a professional contract. maybe I'm being harsh on his wording there, but isn't that the EXACT reason why the Euro clubs are able to come in and ruin your negotiating?

I also think our academy is still setup at such a late age that we don't get a proper view into a players trajectory until it is too late in the window. I'm not saying we need a u8 academy, but waiting until kids are 15, in this sport, is just not the right age. There were 16 year olds playing MLS minutes last year. We would be barely thinking of talking to those same kids about a contract

RSLer and goobx1 repped this.
  3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question about Glad was for Freddy but they refused to frame it that way. Fall refused to answer it in a way that was "I don't agree with what Freddy did". In fact, Elliott was so busy straddling both sides of the fence there (I believe in Glad as a player vs I believe in the decisions that Freddy made) that he should probably get his ass checks checked for splinters.

An actual interview would have pressed for a lot more follow up questions. Soft balls are fine to start, but once you start going into something meaty, don't stop.

RSLer, DrownedElf and goobx1 repped this.
  4. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So there is a chance we see some movement with the team starting Sunday with the half-day trade window. Monday we'll see the list of available players in Tuesday's expansion draft (could trade with Austin for someone). Wednesday is the end of year waivers process and the start of free agency. Thursday is stage 1 of the re-entry process.
    I know there's not many roster spots and I really hope Elliot doesn't fill up the roster before the season starts, but I'm hoping to see Elliot make the most of the tools he does have available. I want this team to improve.

goobx1, rslfanboy, Ismitje and 1 other person repped this.
  5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Help me with a point of clarification on this: Could we still waive players on the roster?

6. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just going off of this: https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/11/11/2020-mls-offseason-calendar
    My understanding it's for players essentially new to the league who didn't get their option picked up/contract renewed. Players essentially fall into one of 3 categories this offseason: free agents, re-entry eligible or waiver eligible (I know it's not that simple). Pretty sure guys like Rossi and Jones will be in the waiver process.

I think we're looking at a Yura type situation (buyout?) if you want to get rid of someone already under contract or had their option picked up for 2021. Have someone in mind?

Curious what other teams have let go. Sure wish there was a solid scouting team at RSL to comb through these castoffs. When RSL only has 5 roster spots (currently), not sure I'd want to use one on someone from Waivers.

DrownedElf, 15 to 32 and Ismitje repped this.
  7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you
    I get confused at the numerous mechanisms this league has to pick up and drop players. Sounds like I'm overcomplicating it.

I can think of quite a few players currently on the roster that I would love the club to drop, but not with the penalty to the cap hit of having to pay their contract. The Yura thing was absurd and goes completely against penny pinching DLH mantra to pay a guy to not be there. Just ridiculous.

Anyways, the list of players available for the various drafts/free agency will be published December 14th. I remember from years past that the teams in MLS Cup have to essentially tell some of their guys that night, or first thing in the morning, that they aren't coming back. Such a moronic timeline.

8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I heard that when they did their "scouting" they couldn't find any information on how hard players worked in practice so they just said nah, we'll pass.

DrownedElf and 15 to 32 repped this.
  10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so, wait. MLS stated the following in their own press release:

Dec. 13
    1:00 PM ET Half-Day Trade Window Closes and Blackout Period Begins
    Blackout Period begins whereby clubs may no longer sign and/or trade players until conclusion of 2020 Expansion Draft.

But then, in such MLS fashion, they published an article today about another trade. It's ok, though, because:

The trade was completed during the half-day trade window on Sunday.

This league tries to be so professional and then does shit like this and you're just like, uh....

11am is when the list of players available for the ATX expansion draft is supposed to be released. We can figure out which players we will have to protect then

11. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.rsl.com/post/2020/12/14/22-players-protected-rsl-ahead-expansion-draft
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020...raft-official-list-players-eligible-selection

Looks like I was close on the protections. I guess they decided to protect Kyle as Rossi, Portillo, MacMath and Putna are available for selection.

Interesting note, since Portillo and Putna were on the supplemental roster this year, if they are selected, they have to be on their new teams' senior roster all year next year. I don't think they are worth a senior roster spot, but maybe some team does.

I'll be surprised if an RSL player is picked. I doubt RSL is involved in any player movement this week. Maybe they sign a FA since it sounds like that's all they can do until a new owner can authorize discretionary (TAM & DP) spending.

Allez RSL, DrownedElf and 15 to 32 repped this.
  12. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very far down the list of things this offseason: We're due for a new secondary kit. What type of white shirt will we get this time?!

14. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I don't have a problem with RSL protecting Kyle Beckerman. I could see him being picked to extort RSL for money or another player if they had either worth the taking.

The only thing that I find disappointing is that you could switch out almost every player on the unprotected list with a player from the protected list and not be out anything of substance. Sadly.

This team sucks.

RSLer and rslfanboy repped this.
  15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the takeaway for me. We used to agonize over who would be unprotected, whereas now I'd happily give away several of the protected players.

RSLer, DrownedElf and 15 to 32 repped this.
  16. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on who the new jersey sponsor is. I'm hoping for maybe Porsche or Tesla or even Skull Candy. In that case, I don't care what the jersey is because it will be miles better than what we've ever had.

Since we won't be getting Porsche, Tesla or Skull Candy, I'm betting on Nature's Sunshine, another Utah County pyramid, er, multilevel marketing outfit. The front of the jersey will have this on it...

[​IMG]
    ...so the jersey will be white-ish, but with a faint puke-green tinge to it.

The up-side is that they have a shit-load of calming herbal remedies, like Nutri-Calm
    [​IMG]
    If we have another year like 2020, we're going to need something for the...stress. Nutri-Calm won't be enough, but it'll be a start.

RSLer, DrownedElf and 15 to 32 repped this.
  17. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if I'd go that far. The team definitely lacks talent top to bottom (I brought it up last year when looking at transfermarkt values), but most of those guys would be making the 18 for most teams. Problem is most of those aren't a lock to be a starter, just good enough to be in the 18.
    It could be worse, we could be paying substantially more for an as good or worse product (see LAG). I just don't see how this team can improve enough without the use of discretionary spending (TAM & DP). Elliot has his work cut out.

The last podcast I heard made it sound like RSL was hiring lots of front office, scouting and coaching positions and that Ryan Smith is waiting to negotiate with MLS and maybe getting the team for closer to $350m.

Allez RSL repped this.
  18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    probably a bad take, but I'd be in favor of RSL trying to find a way to get Chicarito to RSL if LAG was willing to pay some of the salary. If for no other reason than to get people to pay attention to the team and get into the Mexican population here the club keeps forgetting

Allez RSL repped this.
  19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Xango was under Checketts, but DLH is the one who perpetuated this nonsense with LifeVantage. I really hope the new ownership group sees the opportunity in the Silicon Slopes area and convinces one of those groups to put their name on the shirt.

Otherwise, lets just go with the snakeoil guys at Young Living and be batshit crazy

2nd Mouse repped this.
  20. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we should just continue the tradition if Ryan Smith buys the team. Put the Qualtrics logo on the jersey. Send every fan surveys before, during and after the game. Make sure any companies he also owns are advertising at the stadium. One tricky part is if he owns both sports radio/media companies (I'm sure he'll figure it out though). Are we sure this isn't a tradition worth keeping?

DrownedElf and 15 to 32 repped this.
  21. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Put the Utah Jazz on our shirt as the sponsor. That would cause so many worlds to collide that it would be worth it.

22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, put the Bees on the shirt to really make it weird. As long as the check clears and the club is able to actually invest that money into players/development

All this assuming we get an ownership in place. Ugh. January 8th cant come soon enough in that regard

Allez RSL repped this.
  23. RSL Wonderbra

RSL Wonderbra Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    There are lots of free agents on MLSsoccer.com's list of available players that would improve our roster and depth.

But I digress because signing them would require a GM who has a clue what he is doing. I have no faith in DLHs choice to replace Waibel who was also a DLH selection.

24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go get BWP. We're not going to have an owner in place in time to really do a ton of scouting that can be actioned on until the summer window, at the earliest. Given we're at 25 already on the roster, I'd get one or two guys from this list and then wait

Allez RSL and goobx1 repped this.
  25. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't recognize any starting level CB's on that list, wish they would show primary position or something.

What about Erick "Cubo" Torres? He was signed by ATL to help fill in for Josef, but I don't think that went so well. He's had good seasons in MLS previously, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to know how he would fit with RSL (do they keep the 4-2-3-1?).
    What's the consensus between BWP, Dwyer and Torres? How do you rank them? What do you pay them? I'm not sure if we can go much over the max salary of $612k (in 2020) due to not having access to discretionary funds.

Also, one podcast on the Athletic talked about another potential work stoppage. MLS lost too much money this year and can't afford another year of losses like that. They mentioned the league would opt out of the CBA that was agreed to back in July, specifically saying they need more cuts from the players, while noting the league has many significant cuts. Could be another weird offseason.

15 to 32 repped this.