2020 Election: Too much, but not enough

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Yoshou, Jul 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, it's genuine. I've been using that system for a couple of elections now in my own Colorado county. I get text updates from the county when the county sends out the ballots, when my ballot has been received, and when it's been accepted.

2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to add to this, this link below lists every states rules around pre-processing and counting mail-in ballots. Georgia allows ballots to be pre-processed upon receipts and starts counting at 7am on election day. Colorado also pre-processes ballots upon receipts, but starts counting 15 days before election day. That should mean we'll have a really good idea on who is winning in those states as soon the first vote counts are dropped.

https://www.ncsl.org/research/elect...ballot-processing-and-counting-can-begin.aspx

ArsenalMetro and charlie15 repped this.
  3. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or... she knows how her bread got buttered when she was young.

2020-10-16 10_51_56-Maggie Haberman - Wikipedia.png

And her first writing gig was with the New York Post. So color me less-than-shocked that she'd be amplifying this.

sitruc, rslfanboy, Deadtigers and 3 others repped this.
  4. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The NYT has this graphic too:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/10/13/us/politics/when-votes-counted.html

Yoshou repped this.
  5. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    But that does not include the demographics, which was my question.

6. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If they know who the ballot is from, then they would also have the overall demographic information, if that information is in their voting rolls.

7. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The state already knows my age, my party registration, my ethnicity, my address, my height, my weight, and so many other things about me.

Furthermore, they know I've voted. So they can say that a middle-aged white male who is a registered Democrat from a certain part of Boulder County has voted.

8. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the funny thing. If she does, those same cats on the left would be lambasting her for "selling out" to Moscow Mitch.

It almost makes you think that they were always going to be lighting her up, no matter what course she chose.

sitruc, Deadtigers and charlie15 repped this.
  9. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    "Overall," yes, but my point was the precision that they were reporting, to the .01%. That does not seem likely.

This was the original post:

That type of precision cannot come from knowing the "overall" demographic.

If they can do that just from the preaddressed envelope, that is some good data manipulation.

I guess, if they wanted to, they could look at every preprinted envelope and then match every one to the voter roles.

This is what I suspected to be the answer.
    Again, for the state of Georgia to have processed over 400,000 votes at this point and can trace them back via the envelope, is pretty impressive.

Having never voted by mail, my question was how they could do it.

10. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is one of the times where I go to my "You can appreciate the art without endorsing the artist" places. I'm pretty sure that I don't care about Cube's opinion about many things, but I do know that he is one of the GOATs of hip-hop.

And I hope y'all weren't surprised about the antisemitism. Y'all ain't ever heard "No Vaseline"?

song219 repped this.
  11. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Truthfully, I was never a huge fan of his music, so no. I only knew of the most "mainstream" of his songs (TODAY WAS A GOOD DAY), and was more a fan of the movies than his musical exploits. So I did not even know of some of the anti-semitic claims until I watched Straight out of Compton - no shit. I was willing to write that off as the ramblings of a young person, but as charlie has said, there have been a few more questionable statements that took me in a different direction.

charlie15 repped this.
  12. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Colorado, they verify the signature on the envelope using automation against your previous mail-in ballots and... your driver's licenses and other signatures that you've submitted to the state on forms and what. For that, you need access to all sort of data, and once you have that data, aggregating it becomes a pretty simple matter.

This is the reason why I get amused when people freak out about microchips in vaccines or whatever. It's so extraneous. Government and businesses already know so much about you from the data you willingly give them and that they have for sale.

sitruc, Dr. Wankler, xtomx and 2 others repped this.
  13. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh.. Do you understand how math works? You see, when you divide a number by another number and the result isn't a whole number, it results in a "remainder" and from that "remainder" you get decimal points. Let's take the example of 56.17% of ballots received being from females. That just means 224,680 out of 400,000 ballots were from female voters..

It absolutely can. Your voter ID can easily be connected to the records the state has on you and from that information they can pull your demographics.

They can do it because your Voter ID is unique to you and your voter ID is on the envelope they receive from you. All they need to do is scan the barcode on the envelope your ballot was sent in and they bring up your voter record. Your ballot is then recorded in the system as being received and they can just run a report that connects your voter ID to the state's demographics on you and bam, overall demographics for people who have submitted ballots so far.

14. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Mike03 and xtomx repped this.
  15. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, also color me less-than-shocked that the daughter of a long-time NYT journalists got right into a gig at another big New York paper straight out of college and ultimately ended up at the NYT.

It's almost all those stories that we're always told about this being a meritocracy are largely bullshit.

sitruc, rslfanboy, mbar and 4 others repped this.
  16. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  17. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Again, that was my suspicion.

18. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    According to Wilson, word on the street is anywhere from 50-170m can't be accounted for

19. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It's insane

20. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    First day of early voting in Louisiana. It took me 2 hours, 25 minutes. Everyone said they had never seen a line like that before. And we are not a swing state by any stretch of the imagination. No hassles other than the wait, everyone wearing masks.

sitruc, soccernutter, dapip and 4 others repped this.
  21. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My County Clerk reported this week that of the 16,000 registered voters, about 25% have either voted early or requested a mail-in ballot. Early in-person voters numbered about 1300 as of Tuesday morning. Returned mail-in ballots numbered about 1600 (about 2800 people requested mail-in ballots). Early voting in Illinois began on September 24.

spejic repped this.
  22. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I would have liked something like this for my overseas online vote

Just a text or something to say its been counted

I have only a reference number from the upload

23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yep. I gasped when I saw him say that. I would say he doesn't grasp the importance of power and responsibility, but he obviously knows exactly what he is doing. I mean if that's the case, why does he get "worked up" about fake news. Let the people decide if those stories about him are true or not. He knows that his "retweets" are basically news pieces to his constituency.

Deadtigers repped this.
  24. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I hadn't really thought of it, but when I read this post, I thought... "she went to either Vassar, Sarah Lawrence, or maybe Oberlin... "

Sarah Lawrence if Wikipedia is telling me the truth...

Deadtigers repped this.
  25. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This made me look her up for the first time, because I wanted to see if she was classmates with Rahm Emanuel.

Based on how bad at the internet she is, and how antiquated her both sides political takes are, I figured she was at least 60, which is how old Rahm is. No offense to anyone here of that age.

I am shocked that she was born in 1973.

sitruc, Deadtigers and Dr. Wankler repped this.