2020 Election: Too much, but not enough

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Yoshou, Jul 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Interesting article (based on a quick skim, anyway)

https://unherd.com/2020/09/how-russia-stokes-americas-racial-tension/

As the battle for America’s soul threatens to rip the country apart ahead of November’s election, race has become one of the key partisan battlegrounds. This is being exploited with devastating precision by the Russians — who’ve been refining their methods for years. As Special Counsel Robert Mueller found in his investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 US election, the Kremlin started laying the groundwork in 2013 — well before Donald Trump had even announced his candidacy. That year, it set up the Internet Research Agency (IRA) — a unique mash-up between a digital marketing and intelligence agency, whose task was to experiment with social media to fuel polarisation in American society. Race was one of the most fertile battlegrounds.

In mid-2014, IRA agents travelled to the United States in an “intelligence gathering mission” in order “to obtain information and photographs for use in their social media posts”. Then, from their base in St Petersburg, they built fake pages, communities and personas that looked authentically American. These included ostensibly Left-wing groups like ‘Black Matters’, which targeted black Americans by appearing close to ‘Black Lives Matter’. This disinformation project was known as ‘Operation Lakhta’.

Paid ads publicising the group went straight for the jugular: this one features photos of three young black Americans — Michael Brown, Tamir Rice and Freddie Gray — who were killed either in police shootings or custody. Rice was only 12. He had allegedly been shot on sight for playing with a toy gun.

Once they had ensnared followers, and as the election grew closer, groups like ‘Black Matters’ became a vehicle for the IRA’s attempts to suppress the black Democrat Vote. Agents posted emotive narratives of political alienation, suggesting that Hillary Clinton did ‘not care for Blacks’, or that a race between Trump and Clinton was ‘one that Black people should sit out’.

And of course, this is just a social media version of an old-media approach used by the Kremlin back in the cold war days to spread the story that, "the AIDS virus had been invented by the US military as a biological weapon to kill black Americans," as the article says in the first paragraphy.

2. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's up there with sexually assaulting dozens of women and putting kids in cages...it's so hard to know now.

Oh wait, I remember what his worst scandal was: that time he let 200,000 Americans die by downplaying coronavirus.

sitruc, soccernutter, russ and 2 others repped this.
  3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I guess the trouble is so much of this stuff is priced in now

The tax scandal does present a great opportunity for Biden to hit him on his supposed business credentials. He isn't working for America.

American Brummie repped this.
  4. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    You've heard of targeted advertising? What you have come across is random shooting advertising.

russ and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  5. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its called being a successful entrepreneur, you fcvking commie.;)

Mike03, xtomx, song219 and 3 others repped this.
  6. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For some reason, that portion of Michelle Obama speech at the Convention came to mind "“If you think things cannot possibly get worse, trust me, they can,”.
    I don't think it was particularly prescient but still it is so f**** true! This is shitshow on top of a cluster********!

7. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is pretty funny......Is it a coming out of the closet moment? :ROFLMAO:

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  8. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Oh dude - Julia was way ahead of the curve

sitruc repped this.
  9. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    With that tie, I'm not buying it.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  10. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he is either, he is just dumb like a shoe.
    If he was I am sure the community would revoke his membership card as well...lol

xtomx repped this.
  11. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    It's all about PA. If PA comes in, it's over for him. Don't even need Florida, AZ or NC.

charlie15 and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Which also means, its all about cheating, because in a fair election, he is basically done right now

charlie15 repped this.
  13. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I am so there for this analysis

The last 3 months of the '16 campaign - basically the Bannon era, was when Trump was somewhat focussed on his populist message

14. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    It's why we need to pile it on. Also, crush his base's spirit.

15. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    If the polling averages in PA are all 6 points plus for Biden on November 3, and PA still represents the tipping point state, I might be able to keep the anxiety in check.

dapip repped this.
  16. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3266 charlie15, Sep 29, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    He is in a world of hurt in Pa. He can't win Pa with those margins in the Philly suburbs!

Aaron Blake notes that the Democratic candidate has carried the Philadelphia suburbs by between 7 and 17 points in every presidential race since 2004.

Trump’s deficit there in the new New York Times-Siena poll is 24 points and in the new Washington Post-ABC News poll is 38 points.

17. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This wasn't really up for debate among any serious people, but Trump made overtures about New Jersey early in the campaign. Those margins stretching into South Jersey means that he's probably going to lose the state by even more than the 14 he lost it by in 2016.

It also means that Jeff Van Drew, that oily turncoat Congressman, is in deep shit. Let me get my teeny tiny violin to play for that guy as he slumps out of Washington.

Deadtigers, onefineesq, xtomx and 3 others repped this.
  18. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    So as we get into the first debate, the drama I see in this race isn't whether or not Biden will win, it's whether or not it'll be a blowout.

Obama racked up 365 and 8 in 08, and I think that sets the standard of a blowout. 2012 was an easy win, while 16 a close win.

Right now, Biden is likely between 2012 and 2008.

[​IMG]

charlie15 repped this.
  19. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    But - you could see Biden swing high as 418, while the lowest I see is 291

[​IMG]

20. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking more and more like a blowout...

"Ninety-seven percent of likely voters who selected a candidate in the presidential match up say their minds are made up, and 2 percent say they may change their minds."

charlie15 repped this.
  21. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Quinnipiac has been pretty dem friendly with their polling this year, so I'd take that with a bit of a grain of salt. I think that's a toss up.

More interestingly, it had Ossoff with a 1 point lead, and with better personal numbers than Perdue.

In the other race, Warnock actually has the lead over Loeffler, but it's a jungle primary, and so long as the other two Dems remain (one of which is Joe Libermann's kid, because of course he is), Warnock won't win on Election night, and it's unlikely he'll win in the runoff, after the Presidential election, and with Biden's coattails gone.

charlie15 and dapip repped this.
  22. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of this is relatively correct. However it's worth noting the trendlines, and as per 538 this puts Biden up at 39% to win Georgia and Ossoff at 26% to win that seat, which is the highest either's been since June.

In other words the cascade of scandals coming out of Trumpland are starting to take their toll.

As for Warnock doing the post-jungle primary run-off... neither Collins nor Loeffler are well-loved in Georgia. There is a decent chance that they will suffer from not having Trump's coattails, rather than Warnock not having Biden's.

23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are saying that all gay males know how to dress? If so, you don't know gays.

24. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was listening to Warnock this morning on " The new Abnormal " podcast. He was really good. He will be a fine senator. If he finish first in the jungle, I will give him a good chance to win in January. The way the base is fired up, I will be surprised if they sit the run off.

25. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, specially if Trump takes a (likely) beating. The Magats will be deflated!

The scandals are definitely taking a tool. In the last ABC/WaPo poll in Pa, 8% of 2016 Trump voters are switching to Biden. A statistically insignificant 1% of 2016 HRC voters are moving to Trump.