2020 CPL Season

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Robert Borden, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The take away is that CPL draws well:)

2. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Free CPL game on YouTube for those interested

Cavalry vs. Pacific

3. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    After clarifications, the 2nd round also counts as an opportunity to fill the 250 minutes quota for the Canadian U21 players

4. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That won't sit well in the long run.

5. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Here's the new take on the rule. So Forge is facing a fine

6. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    At the end of round 5. Standouts for me:

Dunn
    Jean-Baptiste
    Blasco
    Bustos
    DI Chara
    Bekker
    Nanco
    Edgar
    Sissoko
    Garcia
    Geffrard
    Bent
    Acuna

7. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate the backtracking that happened but glad they finally settled on what was originally stated.

Common sense says that it is pointless to have a development league with mandatory play time that only impacts teams that advance to the next step of the competition. I know many are unhappy that it is just a fine but at least the rule was upheld.

8. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I'm curious about the extent of the fine.

So I get fined for not playing the kids, but I win two extra games with my veterans and get through to the finals.

9. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  10. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would imagine it will escalate if it becomes a pattern. As you said, just getting a fine isn't likely to discourage not playing the kids if it means they can win more games and make the finals, but it serves as a good slap on the wrist for a first time offense.

11. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The idea that there was no points deduction seems to make it preferable to pay the fine for the advantage of not meeting the minutes threshold. But we live and learn as we go.

12. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree, I'm just thinking it starts with a fine, the escalates to point deductions if it continues to be an issue.

13. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  14. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  15. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    So if I'm reading the table right, Forge is through but no one else has a guaranteed spot yet.

One of Calgary and York will make it for sure but not necessarily both.

Probably one of Halifax and Ottawa but certainly not both.

That's a pretty compelling finish for everyone's last game.

17. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because H2H tie-breaker only applies to two teams, they haven't clinched yet. Here are the two scenarios in which Forge falls out of the Top 4:

1. They need to lose by 2 and have Cavs/York tie, PAC win by 2, HFX win

2. Lose by a combo of 8 with AO winning (1-0 and 0-7, 2-0 and 0-6, etc.), Cavs/York tie, PAC win

18. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Thoughts on eliminated clubs

FC Edmonton
    • Unlike Cavalry and Forge who had Sigma and Foothills as a foundation, it's unbelievable that FC Edmonton Academy didn't have the same effect for them.
    • Coach Paulus hinted that he might not be the right guy to lead the squad. He might be right as some are saying that his heart is more in the developmental side of the organization. If that's the case, a change of coaching might be the right thing to do.
    • Defence is not the same without Didic who won't be around forever. He's clearly thinking of moving to a higher league having turned down MLS to stay in CPL for more minutes. There's a clear lack of depth that needs fixing and I would make drastic changes. TFC II Terique Mohammed is not MLS level and has underperformed in CPL. USL One might be the right place for him.
    • Aleman was quality for FCE but Boakai was inconsistent with flashes of brilliance at time. Zetterberg disappointed as well and as a whole, they aren't creating much nor giving good ball to Ongaro who worked really hard with 2 goals.
    • Ongaro is a great forward with lots of potential. He got poor service the entire tournament and Edmonton needs more attacking pieces. Ameobi isn't the answer if Ongaro goes down.

19. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Thoughts on eliminated clubs

Valour
    • Tons of positive after this tournament, Gale was able to successfully improve his team after a clear rebuilt.
    • James Pantemis has true potential. If Montréal wants to continue with Diop, they need to get rid of Evan Bush and either keep loaning Pantemis to Valour or make him your #2.
    • The salary cap needs to increase in CPL tonallow clubs like Valour to put in an offer to buy Julian Dunn and pay him what he was making in MLS. Wow! It's criminal that he isn't playing in MLS and stuck in USL-1. Him and Haitian International Jean-Baptiste were the best CB pair in my opinion allowing Valour to be a very sound club defensively.
    CPL should be a place to not only develop young talent but to be a viable option to those on MLS benches and USL-1. Ohin has been a boss at midfield who were creative and surprised me with their attractive brand of football with Galan who provide quality, leadership, passion and experience. Pena, Gutierrez, Kacher, Carreiro and Dyer have good chemistry and were creating good combinations and opportunities.
    • Where it hurt them was finishing quality. Fordyce shouldn't be a started despite being signed for much needed leadership. I like Aird but missing Attardo and Bustos was obvious. They need to find a way to keep their squad while investing in acquiring proven attacking talents that can bury some of those opportunities.
    Valour is a club to watch for the future

20. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  21. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Changes are coming at FC Edmonton

22. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    FC Edmonton has a deal with a German club to provide minutes to some players. I'm hoping it's primarily Easton Ongaro and Amer Didic

Pacific coach views Kadin Chung as the best RB in CPL (he's right) and in Canada (most would say Laryea or Brault-Guillard but he's reached another level this year)

23. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    I was a season ticket holder of FC Edmonton in the NASL. To me, Paulus is the same as his old head coach and mentor Colin Miller.

Both coaches didn't have teams that exhibited any offensive dynamic play. Does Paulus have the ability to teach his strikers the right runs? Does he have the knowledge base to teach offensive movement and combinations for his players? He sure didn't learn any from Colin Miller. He strikes me as a "play tough defence and poach a goal off of set pieces with the 6'6 striker" kind of coach.

The saddest part of the Eddies season is that the organization hyped all its young academy graduate kids in the off season, but then didn't even really play them until they were eliminated. They're the only players who look like they have any creativity besides Aleman and occasionally Boakai.

Just no reason to be excited by the Eddies.

24. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Kadin Chung is not better than Laryea and ZBG. That's ridiculous. I would also start Alistair Johnstone over him as he has been putting in MOTM performances for Nashville in MLS.

25. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    I'm also hoping a single Canadian player emerges as an offensive threat besides Bustos (excluding Kyle Bekker who is 30) this tournament. It's been dire in that department.

Some Canadian has to step up and show something in the opposition half. Mo Farsi is a wing back but has showed some flashes going forward. Bustos is the only one who receives the ball and you think "he can make something happen". That's sad.