2020 CPL Season

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Robert Borden, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You're so right! Unfortunately I'll miss the game because of Champions League but look at the projected start from CanPL.ca

I'm excited too
    Pacific
    [​IMG]

Halifax
    [​IMG]

Personally, I think York has a shot at winning the tournament. They have real depth and quality on the bench
    [​IMG]

2. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  3. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    #178 CANPRO, Aug 15, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    This may ruffle some feathers....but.....i wish there was some recognition of our aboriginal population to go along with the black lives matter stadium graphics.

Again, I think it's great to respect and acknowledge black lives matters. I also acknowledge that Canada often piggy backs onto American social justice initiatives.

Pa Modou-Kah recently was interviewed about BLM and said it important to acknowledge our aboriginal peoples in Canada along with BLM. Our indegenious population still suffer the effects of government genocide and police brutality along with BLM.

There. That's my only wider social post on bigsoccer.

Robert Borden repped this.
  4. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Only real standout for me today was Acuna with Ottawa. He was a boss.

Other highlight: a 16 year old scored for York9. Much better to be on the field in CPL and getting a real chance to prove what you can do rather than being buried down the pecking order of an MLS team with no chance to progress.

Sloppy overall, which is expected for each team's first game. Nice to see the competition is pretty tight.

I think Forge and Cavalry are clearly the top two teams. I can't predict the remaining pecking order.

5. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Is this tournament the only season the CPL will play this year?

Is there a possibility of a 2nd tournament this year?

Obviously the West Coast could host in October and November, although I understand the B.C government would not agree to hosting the current tournament.

6. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    York not having Aparicio and Manella was showing. They had to play Murufushi to get things going but yeah, the kids salvage a result for them. Rivero and Vasconcelos didn't do much... Looking forward to see Petrasso.

For an expansion team, I thought Ottawa played much better that I expected. Acuna as you pointed out was very good. They might not finish at the bottom after all.

As for the battle of the coast, the game was alright. Halifax plays much better than last year. I'm not convince on Jason Beaulieu but Louis Beland-Goyette is a beast at DM with Rampersad.

I was very happy with De Jong playing and Bustos is one to watch!

7. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Unfortunately, I think that's it for this year after the CanPL champs play their games against the MLS team in the Canadian Championship

Forge is will play 2 games on the road because of CONCACAF league.

8. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Halifax fortunate to get the two penalties. Not saying they were bad calls, just that they didn't manage anything in the run of play.

Looking forward to the next game. My prediction is a 2-2 draw. :)

9. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Safe to say that Valour won't lose 8-1 this time.

Their back line got a much needed makeover

10. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    2-0 Win for Cavalry. Once they got going, Cavalry were way too strong.

Valour are playing much better defensively but I haven't seen anything offensively from them. Outside of Ohin, not much to say about the midfied who couldn't build anything.

Gale summarized what CPL is all about!

About TFC Julian Dunn on loan from TFC II:
    • "He should be playing MLS first minutes"
    Damn right, he should!

11. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Look at the Valour roster, who scores the goals? No one. They're my pick for last place. I also don't think their CM lineup can control a match with Carriero and Fordyce.

A good keeper, CB and wingers isn't a full team. Cavalry bossed the middle and as a result, the game. I think Gale isn't brought back next year.

I thought Akeem Garcia showed well for Halifax when he came on, but Pacific had the better run of play.

I'm interested to see what Boakai and Aleman add to Edmonton's stagnant attack from last season.

12. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Aleman brings some quality, as for Boakai...I don't see it yet.

FC Edmonton biggest threat was Didic, who I hope gets a transfer in 2021, too good for this league. Forge are completely owning the midfield. Edmonton needs to bo much better than this.

Looks like Forge and Cavalry = Group stage

I still stick to my prediction that York and Pacific will qualify for it as #3 & 4

13. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Eddies were a bit unlucky today, but it was a deserved result for Forge.

My rankings so far:

Top tier: Forge, Calvary

Likely to make the playoffs: Y9, Pacific

Teams with a shot at the playoffs: Ottawa, Wanderers, Eddies

Just not seeing how it can happen for them: Valour

jagum repped this.
  14. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  15. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  16. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Amazing news for CPL who will be announcing a broadcast deal with Fox in the United States
    1295894360198979584 is not a valid tweet id

17. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  18. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Mohammed Farsi is emerging as a new star in CPL, by far the most impressive newcomer this season.

Forge and & Cavalry are playing an attractive brand of football, despite the other teams improving it's still clearly Forge and Cavalry vs. the rest

19. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Looks like a CPL player has impressed enough for Vancouver to be watching closely

20. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    I'm not sure the Whitecaps would win the CPL this year....

21. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    CBC TV rating time
    Halifax vs Pacific drew the most with comparable numbers to MLS games in Canada.
    As I keep saying, the rest of the country is not to be underestimated. These are SOLID for just year 2. The league needs to be on TV more often and this just might strengthen MediaPro push towards their cable channel which I think will look to win the Canadian MLS TV rights.

22. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    It would be good to see another CPL player progress up the ranks. With the Whitecaps we can also probably read in a bit of "we can't find anyone elsewhere that doesn't require us to spend money" as opposed to just "we can't find anyone elsewhere".

23. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Part 2 of the TV ratings

24. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CBC is OTA isn't it? OTA networks have a higher base number than cable networks do and it makes it hard to do an apple to apple comparison. It's also hard to compare the first game of the Island Games against the 6th game of the MLS season. A lot of people are going to watch the first game of a competition just to see what its like and that number is going to trail off as the competition continues.

25. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Yes, the comparison is not apples to apples for the reasons you state. I'm still happy to see the CPL get some decent numbers for a league in its position.

Yoshou repped this.