2020 Colorado Buffaloes

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by unkiemark, Mar 3, 2020.

1. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Didn't see the match either. Hard to watch in the middle of a teaching day.

Good to read that the Buffs made a match of it in the second half. Looks like they still struggle with with scoring.

If there is a match v USC on Sunday I'll be able to attend as season ticket holders from 2019 are being offered free tickets.

2. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  3. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Match will take place today at 3pm, but has been moved to Kittredge Field which is the home of the lacrosse team and has an artificial surface.

4. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    socalsoccer23 repped this.
  5. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #130 derbarkasmann, Mar 15, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    BUFFS 3, USC 2 2o/t

I missed the first 15 minutes, so it was 2-0 USC when I tuned in, goals two minutes apart. Libby Geraghty pulled one back at 20 minutes with an assist from Lawson Willis, giving her half of the team's assists for the season. The rest of the half was pretty much all Buffs. Shanade Hopcroft tied it with a penalty kick ten minutes into the second half. USC had an edge in the run of play in the second half but not enough to win the game.

The highlight? In the middle of the first overtime, Dani Hansen blocked a penalty kick, preserving a tie for the second time this season. Two minutes left, the Buffs strung a bunch of passes together and the ball arrived in the box where Shyra James had a defender on her back. She spun and her left-footed shot slid between the diving goalkeeper and the left goalpost. See the replay above. The assist? Lawson Willis, of course.

Rough weekend for the Trojans, they lost at Utah 2-0..

socalsoccer23 repped this.
  6. socalsoccer23

socalsoccer23 Member

Jan 4, 2017
    That was a exciting game to watch- nailbiter!

7. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    derbarkasmann repped this.
  8. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  9. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  10. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #135 derbarkasmann, Mar 20, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    Buffs 1, at Utah 0

Utah had the ball a lot and missed a couple of good chances and hit the crossbar and Dani was her usual awesome self and we kind of stole one on the road. Too bad it wasn't a conference game. The goal came five minutes in, a Hannah Sharts very long throw-in wound up at the feet of Shyra James and that was the scoring for the day, although Jenny Beyer had a goal disallowed.

Shots were 21-14, on goal 6-5, corner kicks 7-3 all Utah. Both the Utah and CU recaps made it sound like Utah's edge in possession and pressure was a lot greater than the numbers show.

We split the four games with the conference heavyweights, but we may have one more against a ranked team. Arizona State is #16, but they just lost a non-conference game at Arizona. Their next three are at UCLA, then Cal and Stanford at home, might not be ranked after all that. They already beat USC. We get them in Boulder.

ytrs repped this.
  11. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shots: Stanford 21, Cal 4.

On goal: Stanford 9, Cal 1

Corner kicks: Stanford 13, Cal 2.

So who won? Silly question, you know what sport this is.

Saves: Cal 9, Stanford 0. One of the saves was a penalty kick.

Stanford's losses to Oregon State and Cal are both non-conference.

12. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nevertheless, if Stanford does not end up as conference champion ....

13. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Cal has the better GKer. That is why they won.

14. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Boy did the conditions look tough for the match. Cold and raining the entire time. Buffs till played direct too often for my liking, but they got the result.

15. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Buff host Washington State tomorrow (Saturday) at 1pm. There will be a limited amount of spectators allowed in - only season ticket holders that responded this afternoon.

16. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  17. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Buffs lost 0-1. WSU, for the most part, was the better side.

I was able to attend. It was great to see the team in person for the first time since sometime in 2019.

Early in the match WSU was really in control and the Buffs were on their heels. Gradually CU was able to have a bit more psossession and create some chances. Still, Dani Hansen was the busiest of the two keepers, which meant the Cougars were creating better opportunities.

BTW, Hansen is a solid keeper and will be difficult to dislodge from her starting spot.

Over the last 15 minutes or so the game was really stretched as both sides looked tired. Unfortunately, in the OT the Cougars were able to take advantage.

One last thought for now, how in the heck did Shanade Hopcroft not play DI soccer until this season?

18. 2233soccer

2233soccer Member

United States
    Sep 13, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tough loss in OT - was a good game to watch.

19. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  20. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  21. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buffs 1, Oregon 0

REALLY needed a win. Got it. Tessa Barton ended the scoring drought in the 64th minute with the assist from Libby Geraghty. Dani and the Defenders made it stand.

Stats were all Oregon ... shots 17-10, on goal 7-2, corners 8-0.

I just looked at last week's RPI. Twilight Zone. I'll post it when this week's comes out. With all due respect to the system, we are not the 14th best team in the country.

22. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw her play last season when CU - Colorado Springs was at Colorado Mesa. UCCS was #2 in the country in Division II and she was by far the best player on the field.

Did soccer players get an extra year of eligibility? Could Shanade play in the Fall if she wanted to?

23. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  24. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The entire NCAA soccer playoffs, both genders, are being held in North Carolina. So far we are 0-4 in playoff games in the Carolinas, three North, one South, all in the second round, all 1-0. Maybe this is our year to win one there.

So check this out, Buffalo Nation ... round trip Denver to Charlotte on American Airlines ... $78. I am NOT making this up. www.aa.com check it out. Is there a catch? Yes, but not related to the airfare.

Attendance. Apparently arrangements will be made for family members or people associated with the teams to attend. I have no idea about the rest of humanity, which includes me. If there is any way I can get into a game or hopefully more, I am VERY there. I will inquire tomorrow and report what I find.

Perhaps one of the players can adopt me as their grandfather?

25. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Just need a player to put you on the list

derbarkasmann repped this.