2020 Challenge Cup

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by SiberianThunderT, May 27, 2020.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I did predict Orlando as the one team out before the playoffs, so um, do I get credit for that? :ninja:;)

There is nothing like woso fans on social media. I knew as soon as the news was out that they'd identify the players before the night was done. I don't like people outing them on social media, but I do understand the anger. I mean, I haven't gone to a bar or restaurant since March, even though I'm also in a state where they're opened up but cases are still rising. I just think its unwise, but these players were literally being paid to follow social distancing rules so that everyone could play. Just be a professional.

2. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    blissett repped this.
  3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the Dash roster: https://www.houstondynamo.com/houst...head-2020-nwsl-challenge-cup-presented-pg-and

Goalkeepers (3): Jane Campbell, Amanda Dennis, Lindsey Harris

Defenders (5): Allysha Chapman, Katie Naughton, Megan Oyster, Ally Prisock, Erin Simon

Midfielders (8): Shea Groom, Haley Hanson, Cece Kizer, Kristie Mewis, Christine Nairn, Cami Privett, Sophie Schmidt, Bri Visalli

Forward (8): Bridgette Andrzejewski, Rachel Daly (INTL), Jamia Fields, Veronica Latsko, Maegan Kelly, Kayla McCoy, Nichelle Prince, Katie Stengel

4. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sky Blue's roster (Pugh out with an injury, as is Lloyd and Dydasco which were already announced):

6. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And now OL Reign (Rapinoe is out, but we already knew that):

8. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thorns roster (Heath opted out, which is the only one that we didn't know about, so far): https://www.timbers.com/post/2020/06/23/thorns-fc-announce-roster-2020-nwsl-challenge-cup

Goalkeepers (3): Bella Bixby, Britt Eckerstrom, Adrianna Franch (FED-USA)

Defenders (9): Kelli Hubly, Meghan Klingenberg, Emily Menges, Meaghan Nally (CDP), Madison Pogarch, Katherine Reynolds, Becky Sauerbrunn (FED-USA), Autumn Smithers, Christen Westphal

Midfielders (6): Celeste Boureille, Lindsey Horan (FED-USA), Emily Ogle, Rocky Rodríguez(INTL), Angela Salem, Gabby Seiler

Forwards (7): Simone Charley, Marissa Everett, Tyler Lussi, Anika Rodriguez, Christine Sinclair(FED-CAN), Sophia Smith (CDP), Morgan Weaver (CDP)

9. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It appears that the early reports of "several" USWNT players opting out were mis-guided. CHI roster has not dropped yet, but everyone but Rapinoe and Press are either going, are out due to injury, or are sidelided due to the stupidilty of others.

10. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Heath; Portland roster just dropped.

CoachJon repped this.
  11. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As expected, Thorns also confirm that they'll still play NC Courage on Saturday:

CoachJon repped this.
  12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And two of those that were "sidelined due to the stupidity of others" where on most people's list of who the "five likely to sit out" were. So I'd say that it was actually pretty close to spot on - even if you ignore the ones sitting out due to injury, and Morgan who is listed as on maternity leave, though oddly had the Olympics happened on schedule this year fully planned to be ready for it - meaning she'd be in full training, WNT play right now. I don't blame her for taking a pass (prior to the whole team taking a pass), but it's not shock that she prioritizes the USWNT over NWSL.

13. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without COVID, Morgan would have been into a full 'make the Olympics' training mode. With COVID, there became no need for her to push so hard or so fast to make it back; which IMO is probably better for her in the long run. COVID negated the need for her to prioritze WNT over ORL.

blissett repped this.
  14. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, finally, the Red Stars roster:

1275461672510119937 is not a valid tweet id

Now we're just waiting on a new schedule.

15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Man, Pugh is out for Sky Blue too? I bet they're really glad they've brought in Purce and Zerboni since last year with all their other injury absentees now.

lil_one repped this.
  16. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If their season is really over, then the team does not have to do anything. Simply not offer those players a contract or pick up the option for next year.

17. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They had to update an error and redid the tweet: http://chicagoredstars.com/challenge-cup-roster/

Goalkeepers (3): Emily Boyd, Cassie Miller, Alyssa Naeher (FED-USA)

Defenders (11): Camryn Biegalski, Julia Bingham, Tierna Davidson (FED-USA), Hannah Davison, Julie Ertz (FED-USA), Zoey Goralski, Sarah Gorden, Zoe Morse, Kayla Sharples, Casey Short (FED-USA), Bianca St. Georges

Midfielders (7): Morgan Brian (FED-USA), Danielle Colaprico, Vanessa DiBernardo, Savannah McCaskill, Yuki Nagasato (INTL-JPN), Cassie Rohan, Ella Stevens

Forwards (7): Makenzy Doniak, Rachel Hill, Katie Johnson, Sarah Luebbert, Zoe Redei, Michele Vasconcelos, Kealia Watt

If you notice no Mautz, she suffered an ACL tear in training:

CoachJon repped this.
  19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Dang, Mautz is out? I think that's a big knock to Chicago's chances in the tournament....

20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am very proud that all of the Japanese players in NWSL will take part to the tournament, including new signings Yuka Nicole Momiki for OL-Reign and Kumi Yokoyama for Washington Spirit! :)

Naho Kawasumi keeps playing for Sky Blue FC and, of course, Yuki Nagasato is still a fixture for Chicago Red Stars.

Oh, if you're wondering, Yuka Momiki is not listed as an international because she was born in the USA from Japanese parents, so she's basically double-citizenship (she chose to play for Nadeshiko Japan NT, though :p).

CoachJon repped this.
  21. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Mmm, this sounds incredibly unfair to me!!! :devilish::p

22. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mautz tore her ACL in early May a year ago. This year’s injury could have been an aggravation. I wouldn’t jump to the conclusion that this injury is a result of a condensed, erratic pre-season.

23. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I want soccer to return as much as anyone but I think all the leagues (of any sport) that are restarting are doing so prematurely and they are risking the health and well being of players and staff. I said a long time ago, at the start of the pandemic, that leagues and national play should not return until there is a viable vaccine and that vaccine is widely used. Also it should be required for all players, staff, vendors and fans to be vaccinated.

The move of leagues returning while the pandemic is still in full swing is simply stupid and indicative that the league and teams involved really do no care about the people involved.

Yes, if they do not return there is a risk that the league might not survive but is is only sports and not worth the risk to the heath of the players.

I just wish I could be sure that players are not being put at unnecessary risk.

24. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Did any non USWNT players choose not to play?

25. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure any non-NWSL player could afford to not play. the USWNT have a six figure salary to fall back on that gives them the luxury to sit this out.

blissett repped this.