2020 Challenge Cup quarterfinals

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by lil_one, Jul 14, 2020.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, my questions regarding scheduling have been answered, and despite the logjam of teams at 4-5 points, we now know the schedule for the quarterfinals.

All times in local time, MDT.
    All games on CBS All-Access and Twitch, nwslofficial2

July 17, 10:30 am: #1 North Carolina Courage vs #8 Portland Thorns
    July 17, 8:00 pm: #4 Houston Dash vs #5 Utah Royals FC

July 18, 10:30 am: #2 Washington Spirit vs #7 Sky Blue
    July 18, 8:00 pm: #3 OL Reign vs #6 Chicago Red Stars

2. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The games finally have meaning. I really hope the quality jumps at least as much as the importance.

3. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    That was back to practice/getting back into shape games. This is now the champions league of NA.

4. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I know it is probably obvious to most but what is "champions league of NA.?"

5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I would have wished for different pairings, but group stage shaped them up this way. Oh, well.

It's just a shame that some quarter final have teams that I would have liked to advance both, while some other have teams that I wouldn't have minded missing...

6. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure we all want to know, which teams are those? :cautious: :ROFLMAO:

7. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    To me the pairings are fine because we really have no idea what the teams are going to do now that the matches matter.
    It is possible that NC has shown the best they have and will flame out quickly when faced with matches that matter.
    It is also possible that teams that have looked mostly poor through the warm up will suddenly blosume.
    We learned very little during the warm up phase as there was a lot of experimenting and testing of unknown players.

The real matches start and the earlier games mean very little except as to what the coaches learned about their players and which players were injured and how badly.

One thing I am pretty sure of is that Pat Riley will not be out-coached so other coaches will really need to step up their games to raise to his level.

8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, for instance to me Houston Dash or Utah Royals don't seem to belong to the top 4 in the league, from what we've seen so far. There was a 4 teams tie in the rankings that needed tie-breakers to be solved, but I don't think that what came out of that clearly shaped the top 4 in the league as the group stage rankings were supposed to do for the sake of quarter-finals bracket.

By the way: had the final placement of Sky Blue FC and Chicago Red Stars to be decided through disciplinary record? o_O If I am not wrong they had the exact same goal difference and goal scored and they hadn't clashed against each other during the tournament: was it a question of a Zerboni's YC or such?

9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yes, it was decided by disciplinary record, and it's not just Zerboni: Sky Blue had FOUR YC's to Chicago's one.

blissett repped this.
  10. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :ROFLMAO:
    Laughter aside, I believe that the POR quarterfinal will be the toughest game of the next three for NC. They have already played each other, and POR is like a wounded animal right now- I see that game as the one where the rub of the green could favor the Thorns and allow them to prevail . IF NC gets past POR, then the semi will be vs. either HOU or UTA who have not played against NC yet, so NC will likely prevail because of their culture, talent and appetite for a new challenge. IF NC gets to the final, it will likely be a rematch with a team they have already played (RGN has at best a 1/4 chance of making the final). Because it would be a cup final, the "already played" angle would not apply. The only teams that have beat NC in a cup final since 2016 are POR and Lyon.

lil_one and blissett repped this.
  11. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Aaron Hegenberger on Twitter has named his best XI team for the preliminary games. I think he has it right -- although I haven't seen Ertz do much of anything, but maybe I just haven't noticed.

GK: Bixby
    D: Barnes, Erceg, Ertz
    MF: Sanchez, Debinha, Vero, Groom
    F: Daly, Williams, Hatch.

I said earlier that I hadn't been overly impressed with any rookies -- but I forgot to mention that Bixby and Sanchez had been good.

McSkillz and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/nwsl-challenge-cup/
    As of today, 538 projects that every game is at least a moderate toss-up, with even NCC only having a 2/3 chance of advancing to the SFs. (NCC has a 1/3 chance of winning the final, as of the beginning of the QFs.) Current SFs lineup would be NCC-UTA and CHI-WAS, though each of those only has about a 25-35% chance of being realized. Parity!

blissett repped this.
  13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This makes our own predictions thread even more interesting. :)

14. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I have faith in 538's political prognostications -- but not so much faith in its soccer prognostications.

538 gives NC only a 32 percent probability of winning the tournament. I believe that underestimates NC's dominance. I would give the Courage a 50 percent or better probability of winning the tournament.

15. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Agreed, it will take a lot of effort and maybe luck to derail the Courage machine. They seem to be much sharper than the other teams. Portland would need to be really clinical to beat them in the quarter-finals and we know what happened so far.

16. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like Morgan Gautrat and Yuki Nagasato may be out for the quarterfinal:

1283804125688483840 is not a valid tweet id

Specifically on Nagasato, she may be out for the rest of the tournament (sounds like it's not that serious, but they don't want to force it):

1282532994096521223 is not a valid tweet id

59Amerinorsk and blissett repped this.
  17. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very dramatic, anything can happen, don't fold em before the hand is dealt.

19. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be clear, I personally didn't really intend anything by quoting that tweet in particular; I was just posting the first tweet I saw with the complete injury report.

For those that maybe can't see the tweet's pic of the injury report, as one poster mentioned earlier:
    NCC
    Out: Merritt Mathias (left knee), Ally Watt (right knee--ACL)
    Questionable: Stephanie Labbe (General Medical)

Portland:
    Out: Adrianna Franch (right knee), Becky Sauerbrunn (left hip), Sophia Smith (left knee)
    Questionable: Bella Bixby (right knee), Lindsey Horan (left hip), Emily Menges (right calf)

Crazyhorse repped this.
  20. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    Not having Yuki and Morgan does hurt CRS to some extent. Hope they recover quickly. I was letting my worst case mind wander a bit thinking CRS was gonna trade Yuki after the tournament and thus not play her to avoid an injury. It was kind of odd she did not play vs. UT. I sure hope I am wrong - don't want to lose her!

blissett repped this.
  21. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Bella Bixby is the only player to help keep Portland in the game.

22. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    And she doesn't start, per NWSL website line-ups; Britt Eckerstrom at her place.

23. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #23 blissett, Jul 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    Portland's line-up is the best they can afford given their string of injuries (and it looks like Horan, who was given as "questionable" by the latest injury report, is anyway starting), but I wonder how can they sustain NCC's assault. Maybe my prediction of a draw was too much optimistic for this quite anemic version of the Thorns.

Anyway, looks like everything is ready for the game.

@Gilmoy, where are you? :p

Gilmoy repped this.
  24. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #24 Gilmoy, Jul 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    [#1.NC-POR.#8]
    Identical, except S.Mewis <=> O'Sullivan flip sides. Merrick keeps her RB spot!
    1284152155235143681 is not a valid tweet id

Eckerstrom for Bixby; Menges for Westphal (and Reynolds => RB); Horan for Boureille; Lussi for Charley.

North Carolina: Q Labbé (not :p starting); / OUT Mathias, A.Watt
    Portland: Q Horan, Menges (starting); Bixby (not) / OUT Franch, Sauerbrunn, S.Smith

blissett repped this.
  25. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I expect this to be a good game. Probably wishful thinking but oh well.

blissett repped this.