2020-21 Roster Movement Thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't think players 21-30 counted against the cap anyways. So if HG's fill up those spots, the money saved by those being "cheap" won't allow you to increase the cap or money spent on the rest of the roster. The amount MLS pays to every club is CAP + TAM + GAM + HGP. Having more HGP doesn't necessarily increase your cap, the CAP + TAM + GAM is set. All the owners pay for is the OVER on DP's ... which hasn't dropped from last year to this year, correct? So they're not being thrifty, it's impossible for them to be thrifty unless they get super cheap on DP's. They're obviously not super flashy with DP's, but this roster isn't a change from previous rosters on that front, we never had 3 Pulido level DP's. We never had ANY that level.

2. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we're still not all that young ...

[​IMG]

3. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    16. Cisneros
    18. Busio, Freeman, Thompson
    19. Pulskamp
    20. Lindsey, Duke, Barber
    21. Harris
    22. Hernandez
    24. Salloi
    25. Smith, Walter
    26. Kinda
    27. Shelton, Dia, McIntosh
    28. Martins
    29. Puncec, Isimat-Mirin
    30. Ilie, Russell, Pulido
    31. Fontas
    34. Zusi, Espinoza, Melia

Very roughly done, so there might be an error or two. It actually looks like a really reasonable spread of youth through experience. Typically around 25-30 is a player's prime, and that's where most of our starters sit. I'm projecting a first XI in bold just to see how that plays. On the older side (and I'm crossing fingers that Dia and Busio have the starts over Martins and Ilie) but not anywhere egregiously so.

Average age of my projected XI: 26.8
    If Ilie instead of Busio: 27.9

The funny thing is, the players most pulling that average up are Melia, Russell, and Pulido--unequivocally our best and most popular players.

Side note, the hell, Montreal? They've been the old-ass team in this league always. When did they shear off a whole generation?

mschofield and Blando13 repped this.
  4. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Based on the link buzz provided, I can see how they'd reduce their own expenses by quite a bit with Gam. The money can be used
    "To off-set acquisition costs (loan and transfer fees). (Kinda and Pulido)
    To reduce the Salary Budget Charge of a Designated Player to a limit of $150,000. (johnny or Pulido)
    To reduce the Salary Budget Charge of a Player whose Salary Budget Charge exceeds the Maximum Salary Budget Charge to a limit of $150,000. (buncha folks)"
    As for TAM:
    "Clubs may use the funds to sign a new player provided his salary and acquisition costs are more than the Maximum Salary Budget Charge. (Remi and the Beast)
    Clubs may re-sign an existing player provided he is earning more than the Maximum Salary Budget Charge. (Roger?)"
    Plus $200,000 can be used for homegrowns.

dgb09 and Blando13 repped this.
  5. dgb09

dgb09 Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Overland Park, KS
    So is one way to interpret this that GAM can be used by teams to pay off costs that would otherwise come out of ownership pockets?

6. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would think so. Acquisition costs would be an owner expense, right? and DP Salary would be, though i don't know what Budget charge means, maybe just the portion below the regular max?
    As has been said, I'm pretty happy that after the financial hole that was 2020 MLS is coming back for 2021, so if they are using this to keep the club afloat, I'm okay with that. but I do agree with your take that this could save the owners out of their own pocket money (at least directly).

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kaveh Rad gets the deserved first team contract.

vividox, mschofield and Blando13 repped this.
  8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    From his pre-season, does he slot in as the fourth or fifth option?
    Also, going entirely from a very few looks, he's primarily right footed?

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you read into preseason lineups, especially the last game, he's jumped ahead of Smith into the 4th CB spot.

mschofield repped this.
  10. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can he put a header on frame? if so, he's automatically ahead of smith.

11. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If that makes two upgrades at CB, it's a nice surprise.
    CB is a tough place to find games for a teenager, but I'm hoping the contract is inspiring and he finds his way onto the field some.

12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing he'll spend most of his time with SKCII this season so he can get games. Maybe make his debut in the USOC if we qualify.

mschofield repped this.
  13. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are now at the end of the offseason. Without a doubt, the most exciting move was Dani Rojas.

14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IASocFan, mschofield and Inca Roads repped this.
  15. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You forgot to add that if Pulskamp instead of Melia that knocks it down to 25.4. Things we did not think we'd be looking at. I expect injuries, but we have three injured keepers?

16. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't be completely shocked if they though starting Rad was an option while Isimat-Mirin gets fully fit. I think we all know how a slow footed pairing of Fontas/Puncec would fair and I think Rad has been playing a lot in preseason for a reason.

Not saying it will happen, just I'm not going to be shocked.

mschofield repped this.
  17. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This guy is not even close to being DP quality.

kcfooty repped this.
  18. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He's better than quite a few DPs from previous years, isn't he? Also, is this possibly a technical advantage? if we label him as a DP, but he's on a TAM salary (which we believe is the case) can we use the label to essentially pay off (in budget terms) the transfer fee during this year, then move him back to TAM status next year?

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Presumably that'd be a possibility, he's a DP only because of his transfer fee most likely.

mschofield repped this.
  20. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ahem, the others we have tabbed as DPs: Claudio López, Omar Bravo, Jéferson, Claudio Bieler, Matt Besler, Graham Zusi, Roger Espinoza, Diego Rubio, Gerso Fernandes, Yohan Croizet, Felipe Gutiérrez, Johnny Russell, and Pulido.
    If we leave the friendly SKC confines, he looks even better.

21. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    DP is a financial designation. It's not some magical silver star that means a player with that tag is gonna be streets ahead of the rest of the team.

Besides, 6 goals and 4 assists in an abbreviated season is actually pretty solid. Pretty equivalent to Felipe's first year. Better attacking numbers than Roger or Yohan ever got. Basically if he can build on this season and perform better next season, he will be the most effective DP midfielder we've ever signed, in terms of attacking output.

Now will he live up to Feilhaber's consistency and brightness of success? Hard to say. Hitting the Benny mark would be a mindblowingly positive triumph.

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basically averaged a goal or assist every 139 minutes. Three players finished with better scores on the team, Gerso at 137 minutes per G/A, Hurtado at 75 minutes per, and Pulido at 87 minutes per.

And Kinda did it playing at least 432 more minutes than Pulido who played the 2nd most of those 4.

vividox and Inca Roads repped this.
  23. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just not a fan. I think he makes bad decisions, gives the ball away too easily and is weak on the defensive side of the ball. Not worth the money in my opinion. I hope I’m wrong about him when the season is over and I’m sure you will remind me if I am.

kcfooty repped this.
  24. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just an observation based on way too little time watching him, but the winger who turned us down to sign with LAG, Grandsir, was really less than impressive against Miami. LAG didn't really turn on, at all, until he was off.

25. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany