2020/21 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Chris Mahr, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Footyballs

Footyballs Member

Barcelona
    United States Virgin Islands
    Dec 19, 2018
    So possible Eastern WA investigation? possible Oregon State one too, I'm interested to know if this has anything to do with Tom Agnost firing because OSU coach was his assistant at MSU? Anyone have insight.

2. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    gremlins.....

3. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Patriot League has had the most turnover of any conference since end of 2019. American, Colgate, Holy Cross, and now Army. Not sure what happened at Army but seems that they're treating Blewitt as a ghost and trying to erase his presence from having ever worked there.

Agree Texas should be far better. They can get a pass for a 4-5 season during covid this year, but had first round losses in 2019 and 2018. Decent Sweet 16 showing in 2017 and that should be something that program is minimally capable of on a consistent basis. I still think Ohio State is the biggest underachiever at this time at having just won 4 games in 2019 and what that program is capable of and an assistant leaving is a sign of change there.

But having said that I don't know if Texas will make a change on Women's Soccer given what they just did with football. It's a time where most athletic programs are struggling to survive yet they fire a coach and that football program will pay $25 million in buyouts to the recently let go head coach and assistants. In September that department let go of 35 employees and didn't fill another 35 open positions while 273 employees had salaries reduced and 11 were furloughed. Yet, despite all those issues they find a way to blow $25 millions to make a football change. Shocking with all of the difficulties college athletics is facing that Texas makes this move. So having said that it's clear what sport is king by far at Texas and don't see Kelly being let go there anytime soon no matter how much they underachieve.

4. BigBear

BigBear Member

Apr 20, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's my surprised face at this one: :eek:

5. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014
    Hopefully, Blewitt was not connected to the academic scandal that plagued West Point this past semester. If so, he's doomed to coach collegiately again. I hope not, he's a good guy and a good coach!

Soccerguy1022 repped this.
  6. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    How can a coach be connected to an academic scandal? Don't they have the honor code at WP?

7. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014
  8. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Supposedly the Oregon State investigation is something to do with a discriminatory remark the coach made to his athletes. Anyone out west have more info?

9. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Out West here we don’t even have that info.
    Where did you get it?

10. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Lots of ways. One formerly prestigious university almost lost its accreditation when it was discovered the athletic department steered students to fake classes for 18 years.

11. Cantcoach

Cantcoach Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 29, 2017
    Oregon state coach is being investigated for a racial slur to an African American athlete. An assistant in the same conference is familiar with the situation and it’s not good.

12. NikeLS10

NikeLS10 New Member

Spurs
    Italy
    Jan 16, 2021

13. NikeLS10

NikeLS10 New Member

Spurs
    Italy
    Jan 16, 2021
    Long time reader first time poster here. I’m a Oregon State alumni and massive beaver fan who happens to have a couple friends who work in the athletic department. They told me there is absolutely no truth to this and the coach is not under investigation.

14. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I heard something along the same lines. But kids these days are so sensitive who knows if it’s even valid.

15. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So do you believe that some comments related to race are acceptable?

16. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If the comments are not offensive or demeaning?

17. First Time Finish

Nov 4, 2016
    It’s not up to you to decide if your comments were offensive or demeaning then.

18. Cantcoach

Cantcoach Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 29, 2017
    I think this one is pretty valid though. Seems at a Halloween practice some of the team were dressed somewhat inappropriately and he made a racial slur to an African American on the team about the costumes.

19. oneofnine

oneofnine Member

Nov 21, 2011
    If the details about the party are true then that's unfortunate. I hope the truth comes out and it's not rumor or innuendos.

Having said that, simply because someone says a comment is offensive doesn't make it so. Go through HR training and they will tell you the same thing. The comment or action must meet certain criteria. This guards against people who are overly sensitive (as noted in another post) or people being told to just "get over it" when the comment is genuinely offensive

20. 2233soccer

2233soccer Member

United States
    Sep 13, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going through HR training you learn that whether you intended something to be offensive or not is not the issue. It matters how the recipient experienced the comment and something can be deemed offensive even if you were not thinking it was.

21. upthemightyblues

Aug 30, 2020
    The track record of new posters on the hot seat thread are generally pretty credible, but without knowledge of this specific situation, let me just make two points:
    1) even in the cancel culture society of 2021, an investigation does not always lead to termination (especially if evidence is not substantial as wrongful termination lawsuits are also en Vogue). Further, a complaint does not always lead to an investigation.

2) having worked in a bunch of athletic departments and seen some “termination with cause” situations happen, unless this person’s source in the athletic department is the woso coaches direct superior (SWA) they may not know the HC is under investigation. I can point to several experiences where high ranking athletic department personnel aside from that sports “boss” aren't involved in any investigation taking place and have no knowledge of it. I can even speak to two occasions where sports info department staff responsible for covering the sport didn’t know the coach was under investigation until they were drafting the press release about the termination. Things are often hush hush for legal reasons and because they don’t want to besmirch that persons name if nothing comes of the investigation.

22. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Like most people on this forum I'm bored of the Oregon State talk, lets speak about it if something happens.........next

BigBear, Soccerguy1022 and cpthomas repped this.
  23. LeftyMac

LeftyMac Member

Manchester City
    Portugal
    Nov 13, 2020
    It is unfortunate where we are with this. Context no longer matters. All that matters is how people take it and if she/he is offended, you’re in the wrong

24. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. How about we talk about the fact that we are a little over two weeks from the beginning of Spring counting games and neither the Big 10 nor the Pac 12 has published its conference schedule. .... I know, wrong thread, but still ....

25. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    this is a hot seat forum. It is what people discuss. If you don’t like the chat about whether a coach may in fact be on the hot seat don’t watch the thread.