2020/21 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Chris Mahr, Aug 13, 2020.

1. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Don't see an announcement aboutt FIU but Nonen and her staff are no longer listed there. Can't say I am surprised, 3-46-1 is damn poor. Too bad and it hurts already abysmal diversity numbers in women's soccer college coaching. The number of African American female coaches went down by 25%. Out of 350+ women's soccer Division I programs now just 3 are African-American females.

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #127 Cliveworshipper, Nov 25, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    well, Joy Faucett coached UCLA to a 17-2 season and the quarterfinals in her first year 1997 ( the program’s second D1 season) losing to eventual national champs Notre Dame. She was 29.

she quit after one season to have kids and win a World Cup as a player and stuff.

Ellis was hired in 1999 at age 33. Her first gig was Illinois where she Went to the tournament in her second year (1998)

PoptartKing repped this.
  3. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    How come there is no news on website regarding resignation, firing or retirement? Strange.....

Soccerguy1022 repped this.
  4. Soccerguy1022

Soccerguy1022 Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Nov 28, 2018
    job was posted on NCAA Marketplace for FIU yesterday... and I also couldn't find any news or an article about her leaving... Prob isn't the best time to be firing a female head coach and don't want a lot of publicity about it.

5. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #130 PlaySimple, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    It looks like Nonen's assistants are also gone.

I agree that the timing isn't the best but at some point a coach has to perform regardless of the sex of the coach.

I knew that FIU has been bad but out of curiosity I wanted to see how bad they've been and they've been worse than bad - they've been dreadful.

FIU didn't have a season in 2020. Nonen coached them for the three seasons of 2017 to 2019. In that span the team had a combined record of 3-49-1. They conceded somewhere around 147 goals and only found the back of the net 30 times These numbers may be off by a few either way as I added really fast in my head and did not add again. I don't have the motivation to check to see if that is the worst 3 year record of any D1 side over that same time period but I would not at all be surprised if it is.

I know that in times of covid that grace has been given under certain circumstances and in all aspects of life but if FIU was able to have a season this year there probably would not have been a lot of difference.

edit: I did not see that SoccerTrustee already added up Nonen's records until after I posted and read up in the thread. ST has her record as being 3-46-1 and I came up with 3-49-1. I'm not checking to see which one is correct because both are abysmal.

6. PoptartKing

PoptartKing Member

Feb 11, 2020
    They replaced the women's basketball staff there without posting a press release (did some digging) so maybe it's university policy?

I think scholarship wise they're okay but I don't know about anything else. Miami isn't a bad place to spend 4 years though

Cliveworshipper repped this.
  7. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    That would depend on the coaching salary. Miami is listed as one of the 15 most expensive cities to live in.

8. upthemightyblues

Aug 30, 2020
    the only open salary info I could find had her between 72k-74k yearly. Far less than her (more accomplished) counterpart at FAU who is right around 100k.

9. Soccerguy1022

Soccerguy1022 Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Nov 28, 2018
    Georgia Southern already filled, surprised they did it that quickly.

10. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vacant
    Nicholls State
    Grambling State
    Florida International
    Weber State
    UIC (current interim - Dustin Downey)

Filled
    Georgia Southern - Chris Adams (former HC at University of North Georgia)

11. CollegeCoach75

CollegeCoach75 New Member

Machester City
    Portugal
    Dec 23, 2019

What happen to the UIC coach and why was he let go?

12. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    he did have a couple lawsuits from former players at Miss State so maybe something happened with that. But to my knowledge he is still at UIC.

13. CollegeCoach75

CollegeCoach75 New Member

Machester City
    Portugal
    Dec 23, 2019
    he’s not there anymore. Have heard from a few people he will no longer be the coach there.

ThePonchat repped this.
  14. Soccerguy1022

Soccerguy1022 Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Nov 28, 2018
    Nicholls State put the interim tag on their asst for the spring season

15. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Similarly, Grambling State’s volunteer assistant is running the show there for the spring. No hire until summer.

16. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    its a freebie of a year so no administration really cares about the spring season.

ThePonchat repped this.
  17. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    How many more chances does Tom Anagnost get!?! The guy clearly has issues. Yes he get results but it always comes at a mental cost to the players.

18. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    maybe he should join the Cal staff....Too soon?

Soccerguy1022 and ThePonchat repped this.
  19. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Anagnost did really, really well at UIC. Won Horizon League Coach of the Year and their improvement was dramatic. They were 4-14-1 in 2018, 3-6 in Horizon League play which was an 8th place finish out of 10 teams. In just his first year, they go 12-6-1, including 7-2 and finishing 2nd just behind Milwaukee and got them to conference championship game. He did quite well at Mississippi St and also Miami. Was MAC Coach of the Year all 3 seasons he was at Central Michigan. The guy just wins and turns train wreck types of programs into winners.
    But like others here I have also seen his behavior. Guy can be a psycho on the sidelines. The few players I know from his previous teams and also a couple assistants that worked for him have mentioned how over the top he can be. Personally I was shocked UIC hired him. Not because he's not a proven winner (he clearly is) but having a berserk mentality with mid-major types of kids typically isn't a good mix.

20. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  21. Sledhead

Sledhead Member

Atalanta
    United States
    Jul 14, 2019
    What is odd about the whole Anagnost separation, is the school put out an article back on December 2nd, which has since been pulled down, praising him and highlighting the success of his coaching bloodline. How do you go from that to no longer being employed 10 days later??? Would love to know the story.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  22. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    simple. . . sports information director was probably told by coach to put up an article about his success to help with recruiting. Sports Info had no clue admin was fixing to get rid of him.

Sledhead and Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  23. oneofnine

oneofnine Member

Nov 21, 2011
    Good guy off the field - crazy on sidelines. Definite "winner" but had issues at Miami and Miss State as mentioned so I disagree that it's a "mid major mentality". And I wish being labeled a "winner" required more than simply winning games. We've seen lots of coaches who can win games if they dont have to adhere to other standards of behavior and/or ethics. I AM NOT implying this about Tom - but his record makes you wonder

24. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    agree. winning needs to be define much more broadly than it is. Womens college soccer is not a training ground for the pros.coaches need to do more than just get results to be a real success.

25. Footyballs

Footyballs Member

Barcelona
    United States Virgin Islands
    Dec 19, 2018
    Eastern WA university ? Associate head coach was let go this past spring. And then heard head coach on admin leave since spring, young GK coach running all practices this fall, Bodnar hasn't been back all season. Someone mentioned some Title 9 violations, issues but again, vague details other than what a current player had heard and regurgitated. Said the players have been kept in the dark about what's going on. Thats a program that has been turned around by Bodnar and staff. Curious to know what the heck is happening. Soccer office phone # was disconnected as of last week.