2020/21 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Chris Mahr, Aug 13, 2020.

1. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  2. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Soccerguy1022 and WACySOCCERWORLD repped this.
  3. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    All I can say to Arizona is...WTF. She’s only been a coach for a year. And they just gave her a Pac 12 job. That hiring committee should be investigated. Awful hire.

ytrs repped this.
  4. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hope AZ did not make a morose choice :rolleyes:

5. LeftyMac

LeftyMac Member

Manchester City
    Portugal
    Nov 13, 2020
    She must have done an amazing job during those 8 months or so of her coaching career to impress people. We do need more female coaches so I suppose we should be all happy about this

6. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I am a huge promoter of women getting opportunities, but this one is mind-blowing. A Pac-12 job with that resume???

7. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    If ya know what they're fishin' for with these modern college app essay prompts, ya could apply the same math from preferential admissions to preferential hiring.

8. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Why is it mindblowing?

9. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Do you understand what a college coach does? Recruit (and knowing the rules), manage an operating budget, manage a scholarship budget, manage their players. Maybe 20% of their day if lucky is soccer. So while she may a have an extensive playing career, she has an uphill battle of learning all of these things while on the job rather than gaining experience before getting a HC gig like this. She may be the greatest coach to ever step on that field, but all of the other things that are non coaching are the job.

10. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Administrations aren’t even hiding the fact they don’t care about qualifications of candidates they only care about gender. But as has been said many times on here most administrations don’t care about women’s soccer anyway and this hire demonstrates that Arizona are one of those departments.

11. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    why do you assume she cannot preside over a staff that does all that ?

12. First Time Finish

Nov 4, 2016
    Come on, she’s barely coached and not even at the collegiate level. Utah Valley hired Kyle Beckerman and the same criticisms were lobbed.

Ultimately I think it’s fine. There are plenty of other coaches with lots of experience that aren’t particularly good either. There’s a tendency among coaches, both on this board and in real life to have an over-inflated sense of self-importance. This is a non-revenue sport with amateur players. AD’s don’t spend too much time on these hires, and they mostly want to make some kind of decision they can defend in whatever way they think is most important based upon their mandate.

outside63 repped this.
  13. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #639 Holmes12, Jun 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    and letter. Campus doors fly open.

I agree though, "experience" is over-rated in a pay to play sport. You're as "good" as your talent acquisition. Location, prestige, location. Will Waldrum the wizard win the ACC from Pittsburgh?

14. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    At the end of 2019 I remember there were some real questionable hires. Casey Brown goes to UPenn, riding high on her one decent season where Holy Cross went 3-1-5. Hokanson was just a goalkeeper coach not even 30 years old, and somehow she gets a 6-fugure job at Colgate with no head coaching experience. And the doozy was when LSU hired Hudson, who only coached at the D2 and club level and somehow she gets an SEC job at LSU.

But this hire at Arizona trumps all of those. No college experience whatsoever, no head coach experience whatsoever. That administration is clueless or just lazy and didn’t do any work, probably a combination of the two. They wanted a female which is fine for gender equity if that’s what they want. But having said, they could have literally hired ANY female coach at any conference in the D1 level and that person would have been more prepped than Moros.

What club coach will send kids to Arizona to somehow they have never met and knows isn’t ready to take on a job of that Pac 12 caliber? Does Moros have the phone number of any club coach in her phone contacts? How does this hire follow up what Tony Amato did at U of A, getting to 5 NCAA Tournaments in 7 years? What a joke. This hire will set them back 5 years and then they'll have to bring in someone to clean up the damage later. If you want to only hire a female as gender equity is the primary choice then do it, but still do your work to get the best female out there which Arizona didn’t do. And Arizona answer this: if you find someone with no head coaching experience, no club contacts, no recruiting experience, no staff management experience, and no idea how to run a D1 program and set them up for failure – how does that help promote gender equity? Awful way to make a hire.

Eddie K and ytrs repped this.
  15. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hudson actually did a halfway decent job in her first year. LSU went from conceding 37 goals and a 3-12-3 record to giving up 20 goals and an 8-8-3 record. The first half of the season was a bit rough for them but they seemed to gel in the 2nd half and the SEC tournament.

I'm going to reserve judgment on that hire until I see how LSU does this upcoming fall and next year.

16. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Losing to a Division II school should not happen if you are an SEC program.

17. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    See the other responses. No need to repeat the details, but she has less than one season of coaching experience (and only as an assistant), and she has zero college coaching or recruiting experience.

18. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    This post says it all so Thanks....
    but I would be curious to know how they found each other. Who would even apply for a Pac-12 head coaching job who has never been a college coach?
    Or did folks on the AZ committee say to themselves, "lets ask all the NWSL teams if they have good available assistant coaches"? And this one from NY rose to the top of that list? I can think of a few better NWSL staff coaches than this one.
    And the kicker for me is you get Zero benefit from even name recognition or local knowledge/connections. There have to be some other USWNT or NWSL alum that would at least get good attention from recruits and would know lots of great asst coaches to hire or even crazier - maybe be from the southwest?

I guess we'll see how it goes. And if any AZ kids end up in the transfer portal. It does appear to be lazy committee work and definitely like 'starting from scratch'

19. Louisvillereferee

Real Madrid
    United States
    Apr 11, 2017
    There are a few D2 teams that can hang and beat a lot of D1 SEC teams among others. That statement just doesn’t hold water.

outside63 repped this.
  20. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    The biggest concern for me is where AZ is at as a program. Tony had them consistently competing for NCAA tournament appearances. If they fall for a couple years due to the lack of recruiting knowledge of this coach it will be really hard to recover in the Pac-12.

21. outside63

outside63 Member

Jul 15, 2010
    The scuttlebutt among college players about Tony was not good.

22. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Perhaps, but you cannot deny his teams success there. He built that program up, and they consistently competed well in the uber competitive Pac-12. A bad hire will take years to recover from.

23. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    Relax. She's not flying a shuttle rocket to mars....It's college soccer where possession is lost after 3 passes and they get it back after the other team loses it after 3 passes.....

24. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I disagree. If you are LSU you shouldn’t be losing to a division II program.

Soccerguy1022 repped this.