2020/21 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Chris Mahr, Aug 13, 2020.

1. First Time Finish

Nov 4, 2016
    I do not believe that “‘most of the time” the players getting coaches fired are at the bottom of the roster. What I have found in my experience is that typically, unless an obvious line has been crossed, it’s a confluence of factors. It’s the inability to recognize that “Hey, maybe I shouldn’t tell so and so that they suck and will never play for me. There’s probably a better approach.” It’s being difficult to work with and rude to support staff. It’s several players leaving because they don’t like you each year, or how you treat players poorly to get them to leave so you can fix the mistake YOU made in giving them too much scholarship. It’s typically a pattern of behavior that gets you fired, not because a few players each year say “coach plays their favorites” on their eval.

ytrs and winwinchick repped this.
  2. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    This is for another thread folks but this statement stood out to me and is what matters.

@Footyballs you sound like that AD from the dark ages! I had an AD whose kid played for me on the team- yes soccer. If you want some current examples, the UMD President Pines is the father of Donovan Pines, former CB for the Terps who won a title and now playing for DC United. The MD football coach Locksley has a daughter who plays in D1- soccer. There are many examples out there of leaders who came from or certainly understand soccer. Maybe you've been working for the wrong people or in the wrong part of the country.

If you have EVER actually been a real coach, you should know it's your job to make sure your players understand the value of the things you do. They don't have to like it, and sometimes they won't, but at least they understand the value. If you are doing things that don't have value or you don't understand the value and maybe are doing things just because they were done to you, you should be fired.

and the slam against D3 and NAIA just destroys your credibility btw.

outside63, upprv, HeadSpun and 3 others repped this.
  3. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    So anybody want to throw names out for the Arizona and Oregon State jobs?
    Pre-season is 2 months away....The clock is ticking.....

4. DeathSlayerWenger

Not Arsenal
    France
    May 20, 2021
    Antonio Conte needs a job. Jurgen Klinsmann too.

Jamie JBS and Klingo3034 repped this.
  5. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Will Arizona give Sandy Davison a promotion? She deserves it. More qualified and experienced than a lot of current D1 female head coaches. Or maybe she just follows Amato to Florida.

6. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    I'm pretty sure Sandy is going to Florida with Tony.

7. Footyballs

Footyballs Member

Barcelona
    United States Virgin Islands
    Dec 19, 2018
    Oh no, Eddie K, "If I was actually Ever a coach" maybe I'm lying because I like to come to this feed and read your entertaining enlightening insight into how there were three Ad's who knew about soccer so all must know soccer and support it. When in fact I've done this over 20 years and at all levels of play, so not slamming, but its common sense if you, using your antics, actually EVER use it, that the lower levels are not as demanding time wise or competition wise. My NAIA teams, plays were content playing their 5 months a year. My D-1 teams, players were hungry to train 9 to 10 months a year getting in leagues in their off season and coming back a month early from summer break to prepare to succeed again.

But if I don't fit your box your trying to shape your argument into and question if I was Ever a coach, grow up. And the differing of opinions on said coaching blog regarding the nature of our players getting softer over the years, this is something that half a dozen close coaching friends have discussed as they retired the last few years that the college game and the athletes are changing and its not fun for them anymore. I concur, it definitely is different the attitudes, the dedication levels from what it was 10, 20 years ago. Truthfully, I've had zero out of 6 AD's who have ever played soccer or who understand the game. So maybe I'm in the stone ages, or maybe Ad's at bigger universities get hired who have the bigger sports backgrounds they want to excel in and soccer isn't high up on that list. Eddie Your like the leftist liberal that cries that I was mean when I, as you said "Slammed the NAIA and D-3" and lost my credibility, because I stated that if you don't want hard demanding coaches training wise, commitment wise, discipline wise, then they can go play at levels that aren't as demanding. You can see that as harsh, I've coached those levels too, I see that as speaking plainly and honestly. If it hurt your feelings, well, you can go in and talk to your AD and get me fired. lol. 20 years and have never been removed from a job, but if I had your kid on my team, maybe that'd be the first. :)

8. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Now you’re coming after me?
    All I can say to you after that keyboard puke @Footyballs is Don’t Drink and Post!

9. First Time Finish

Nov 4, 2016
    Players are not getting softer, you are getting older. Adapt or move on. Youth and amateur soccer is more professionalized than it ever has been, and the idea that players now are less dedicated than before is nothing but “back in my day” nostalgia.

10. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    they are softer and more entitled.
    I’m not totally agreeing with footyballs but players struggle with being held to high expectations these days. I do agree with you though that the game is more professionalized in terms of how teams are coached on the field with better ideas of game models, tactics etc. it’s not just soccer where coaches believe that athletes don’t have the capacity to deal with challenges that they did 15 years ago.

outsiderview and Number007 repped this.
  11. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    News coming out of Denver is Colorado State has hired a female P5 assistant.

Jamie JBS and ytrs repped this.
  12. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  13. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Will coaches get a pass on crummy spring seasons?

14. Jamie JBS

Jamie JBS Member

Fulham
    England
    May 10, 2021
  15. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  16. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #566 Holmes12, Jun 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    Kelly musta told Sanchez, unofficially, to start pounding rox.

17. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014
  18. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  19. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  20. Socalsoccercoach

Dec 1, 2013
    Not true at all Sanchez had some D1 options but chose to go back to D3 where she had previous success at Claremont Colleges. Better quality of life and a chance to win as a Head Coach.

21. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Two worlds now exist - Reality and Social Media. It has changed everything. The perception of players is shaped more OFF the field than ever before. Players brands are now bigger than just the field. It makes is much harder for coaches to do what they used to. Im not agreeing with @Footyballs either

outsiderview repped this.
  22. winwinchick

winwinchick Member

Celta Vigo
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019

23. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    In times when schools are borderline insolvent, non revs have no leg to stand on. The Easter thing did him in. Foolish man.

By the way, the AD is long in the tooth. At least 70 ydars old. Is AD that cushy?

24. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #574 Holmes12, Jun 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    So true. They look for charisma and versatility on the recruit's ig/twitter. Ya can't be a stiff and 1-dimensional, like that olivia nike little kid from the other thread. Its so annoying cuz all the football guys invoke "God's plan" every other second to make them look, uh, deeper, than their beloved pot . You say "shuuut uuup". Like God chose them as D1 and future NFLers while dumping on Haitiens, Somalis and the FCS subdivision , for example.

25. Jamie JBS

Jamie JBS Member

Fulham
    England
    May 10, 2021
    Any word on Wyoming search?