2020-21 Academy Season

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Sep 4, 2020.

1. SoCalRedDevil

SoCalRedDevil Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 8, 2020
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    If so, MLS is a joke. Great way to market your product. Don't let fans know who anyone is.

3. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Is this right?
    #2 Noah Hall
    #11 Sam Sarver
    #8 Elton Chifamba
    #7 Aidan Wolf

Anyone else of note?

4. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was going to launch a USL team next season but latest reports is that might be on hold. We then had rumors it might be back on. Point is they are trying.

5. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Thank you for posting this. Looks like Seattle, San Jose and LA Galaxy are not fielding U19 squads. I know San Jose is training a U20 team, so I’m guessing so are Seattle and LA. Are they going into Mexico to play games?

Also, are Canadian teams going to be involved in the academy games?

SoCalRedDevil repped this.
  6. SoCalRedDevil

SoCalRedDevil Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 8, 2020
    LAG have Los Dos, the Galaxy 2 USL Championship team. Academy products go there (if they stay)... Jorgey for example.

7. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely don’t think he has the technical skill to cut it at the MLS level yet. He needs to polish that before a homegrown deal is offered. His first touch and dribbling both really need work if he’s going to cut it as an MLS winger/9.

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think he will go to Europe if Columbus doesn't want to offer him a contract.

9. letsdothis

letsdothis Member

Crew
    United States
    Jan 7, 2020
    Correct

don Lamb repped this.
  10. clsafe

clsafe Member

United States
    Feb 13, 2020
    Many of Seattles U19's are training with the Tacoma team. If you look at Tacoma match vs. Reno yesterday 2 or 3 05's played, I believe an 04, and several 03's-01's. Most of the Tacoma team is from Sounders academy.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  11. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are 16 and not training with Tacoma it’s time to bail on the Sounders academy. They identify and move talent up at a rapid rate. Reed Baker-Whiting is no longer listed with the Sounders academy even though he’s an 05. They recognize and promote talent quickly

USSoccerNova repped this.
  12. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It feels like they are doing it a bit too quickly. Tacoma gets thrashed most weeks and it doesn't seem like the players in their USL team are improving at the same rate as the players in some other USL squads.

USL League One would make a lot of sense, if only there were any other clubs anywhere near the Pacific NW in that league.

13. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don’t think so. Sarver doesn’t have the skill on the ball to make it in Europe rn. I see Sarver reaching similar levels to Paul Arriola. Both players have decent IQ’s but lack a lot of the ability on the ball to really make it to Europe

14. efried

efried Member

Sep 7, 2020
    Winoman repped this.
  15. clsafe

clsafe Member

United States
    Feb 13, 2020
    Different objective...big age difference between Sac and Reno. This is Sac's first team while everyone else in the division treats the teams as a USL reserve team. Reno/Quakes are slightly different as they don't play the Quakes young kids they play to win and rosters tend to be much older. Josh Atencio 02 has played USL since 2018 and is now with Sounders. Shandon Hopeau went from academy to USL for a few years and just signed HG contract with Sounders. Alec Diaz was in top 11 a few weeks ago, and Sam Rogers is training @ Leganes.

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Arriola has average speed. Sarver is the fastest player on the field every game he plays. It shows up on the scoresheet in the form of a lot of goals and assists.

I think European scouts will take notice. We’ll have to see though.

TarHeels17, USSoccerNova and kba4life1 repped this.
  17. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course there’s a different objective. That’s why League One would be a better fit. Losing by a lot most weeks is not actually that good for development.

18. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    i know this is a sports truism but do we know it’s truly true

19. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure whether it can be definitively proved or disproved on a quantitative basis, but ultimately youth development is just a sports-specific term for "learning". I think it's fairly accepted pedagogy that learning isn't likely to happen at anywhere near peak efficiency if you are overwhelmed all the time.

To be soccer-specific:

How do you learn how to create with possession if you don't possess the ball? How do you learn how to attack if you are always playing defense? How well can you maintain a positive mindset when you are getting killed in every game?

20. clsafe

clsafe Member

United States
    Feb 13, 2020
    This is professional development not youth development.

21. clsafe

clsafe Member

United States
    Feb 13, 2020
    its also the beauty of professional development, each club has its own style method and philosophy, so time will tell if it's working.

22. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attended the St Louis FC/Indiana Fire u14-u19 games today. Here are my standouts:
    - Ian Drake (2003, 8/10): was by far the best player I saw today. Created literally everything for St Louis. Very small and slight player like Brenden Aaronson but was just as energetic and honestly more creative than Brenden is usually. Also for a 10 he had numerous major defensive plays that were due to sheer work rate and athleticism. If they were an MLS academy I’d sign this kid asap. With how good he was today I’m seriously shocked he hasn’t gotten a YNT look.
    - Jack Wagoner (2004, 6/8): this kid was so good that I was genuinely surprised when I found out he was an 04 because he was built like an 02 and also stood out noticeably above the pack. His distribution from the 6 was consistently wonderful. He also did a great job breaking up plays. If he keeps playing like this he has to get a YNT look. Another player that would be an easy HG signing
    - Jack Guckien (2002, CM): basically the only standout at any level for Indy. Good center mid and did a very good job playing against an excellent St. Louis midfield. Pretty much the only reason the Indy 19’s didn’t lose 5-0
    - Josh Maher (2005, CB): he is Jack Maher’s brother but is the best of the 3 brothers. Great communication and excellent defensively. Struggled to break lines but his attackers didn’t work off the ball very well so it made things difficult for him
    - Tyler Sargent (2005, winger): before you ask, he is not related to Josh Sargent. He created everything for the St Louis 16’s. Super smooth and composed on the ball and also had good vision. The defending right back got bullied all game. Tyler also was very fast and torched the Indy back line with ease. He’s ready for a higher level
    - Caden Glover (2007, 9): Caden was the only bright spot for the St Louis 17’s who were flat out terrible. May have been one of the worst midfield and defensive displays I have ever seen they were so bad. Indy didn’t have a good offense but banged in at least 6 goals (I stopped counting). Caden was very tall (6ft already), had a sturdy frame, average pace, and was very good on the ball. Caden either played the right pass, took players on, or created danger every time he had the ball. He is simply too good for the u14 level. He had a banger where he had a curling shot from 28 yards out that went upper 90. He’s 100% a player to watch for the YNT’s
    - Aiden Benitez (2007, W/ST): the reason Indy absolutely slaughtered the St Louis u14’s was because of this kid. He has very sturdy (basically a brick house) and they just couldn’t take the ball from him. His off the ball movement needs work but so do almost all 07’s. On the ball he was a step ahead of everyone for his team. He also saw plays and made passes that most u14’s don’t even think of. His technique on the ball was also notable as he was doing things on the ball that I didn’t see players consistently doing until the u17 level.

St Louis having a fully funded academy can’t come soon enough. Their pipeline is solid

KUSA77, letsdothis, TarHeels17 and 3 others repped this.
  23. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Call it what you like. It's still learning!

And Seattle has gotten noticeably little from Tacoma so far.

24. clsafe

clsafe Member

United States
    Feb 13, 2020
    We all have our opinions...but I know for a fact Seattle has a different POV and they are doubling down on the project. Including trying to get a soccer only stadium for Tacoma and adding more resources.

gogorath repped this.
  25. kinznk

kinznk Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Tacoma did sign Taylor Mueler a 31 yo 9 or so year veteran cb. They also signed Colin Fernandez, a former Chicago homegrown and usl semi veteran. I think they are trying to find a balance of youth and experience as well as some on field success.