2020-21 Academy Season

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can someone explain why this wasn’t a red card on the real colorado keeper?

2. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Slightly? Make it a longer tournament for 2 weeks or cut the teams by half.
    Either way not slightly, but I agree with you, you can play any tournament anywhere/anytime if you significantly change the formats to fit the environment.
    By the way FIFA instituted hydration breaks into for the very reasons you dismiss largely based on 'Several studies (see the reviews of Maughan et al11 and Shirreffs12) that have focused on strategies to prevent the physiologic and psychological impairments in athletic performance induced by team-sport games performed in warm conditions'
    plus they ARE still children.

Winoman and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  3. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that Aaron Heard confirmed it on Philip Gyau’s Instagram it’s safe to confirm. Aaron is moving to St Louis City FC this fall after a year of not being in an academy after leaving the Philadelphia Union

St Louis City FC also have a partnership with Bayern Leverkusen which is one of the primary reasons for Heard’s decision to move to St Louis

4. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    what else do we know about stlfcs youth setup? am i remembering rightly they leverage scott gallagher?

TarHeels17 repped this.
  5. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I too am interested by this. Given the track record of expansion teams and academies, this is a pretty risky move. I'm also curious if this partnership is akin to Dallas<->Bayern or Orlando<->Stoke City.

6. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The majority of SLSG/SLFC academy players will all move over to the new MLS academy. I’m not totally sure about the coaches but they’re probably prettt likely as well. They have a good development track record so it would be a smart move as well as pumping in 2-3 more A license or Euro coaches

7. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cremaschi has some Baily Sparks vibes

8. Husky13

Husky13 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Sep 11, 2019
    Tate Jones would be honored to be mentioned, and he is a strong player, but he is not a keeper. He plays CB. Hurts the credibility of these assessments when you can't even get the names/positions correct.

I think most would disagree with your statement that Alan Rutkowski was the only "real prospect" on the PDA U17 team. See, e.g., "Golden Ball Winner" from the U17 age group.

That said, I do appreciate the commentary and hope there is more. Would love to see more thoughts coming out of the MLS Next playoff event.

9. Husky13

Husky13 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Sep 11, 2019
    I attended nearly the full week at the MLS Next playoffs in Frisco, and watched multiple games each day from the U17 and U15 age groups.

This was a really well run event, especially considering this was the first event organized by MLS Next (itself a brand new organization), so major kudos. And, as was stated above by someone else, I understand the special circumstances involved with choosing Dallas (an "open" state during this pandemic). However, the heat was a major factor that detracted from what was otherwise a great week. The logic of "get the kids used to playing in this heat because the USMNT plays in these conditions" is absurd. You want kids showing based on how well they can play, not on how well they can survive heat stroke. Contrary to statements above, this is not an issue of "fitness".

Philadelphia Union seems to really have things rolling with their academy right now. I watched their U17 team's loss to LAFC - a complete heartbreaker (for them), giving up two goals in the last few minutes of regulation and stoppage time, including a goal literally at the death, to fall 2-1. But, a very exciting group of players, one loss does not take away from that. I found it interesting that MLS Next allowed Bajung Darboe to switch from their U17 team to their U15 team after the U17s fell - but after thinking about that, I guess that can be defended as being in the best interests of the player, and it is great that MLS Next is putting players first. Also, I haven't watched Nelson Pierre enough to comment on his overall game, but as an athletic specimen he is spectacular to watch.

FC Dallas, on the other hand, seems to be losing momentum. Their famed 05 age group in particular has flatted out, in my view. Poor possession/movement, bland attacking, and they do not defend. Some of their biggest names did little to nothing interesting on the field during the games I watched.

It was interesting to see the different approaches taken by different clubs. Some brought USL and even first team (age-eligible) players down to try to win. Some played huge players at age, others played players up. Some played their oldest players - either to try to win or perhaps to showcase them for scouts because the 04's haven't had much opportunity for exposure - while other squads played their best prospects, some younger, even if that held the team back a bit.

I agree that the format of guaranteeing teams 3 games, by moving teams that lost in the early playoff rounds to "showcase", was a great move. Yes, some of those showcase games may have had less at stake and the edge might have come off a bit, but players want to play - and how many chances do these players get to play teams from all around the country? Take full advantage of it.

Great week. Wish we could allow the kids to rest for 2-3 weeks and do it all again, at a different (and more temperature moderate) locale.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don’t get paid for any of this. I do it in my free time. I could stop doing so, and everyone that wants to be more informed will be less informed. I spoke with a parent of a player on the team before I posted what I did. I was not alerted that Jones is a CB. I was quite clearly describing the GK whose jersey number ends in “0”

I thought the GK had the jersey number of Jones. If I’m wrong, you are allowed to respectfully correct me instead of trying to scold me and act as if I committed a sin of getting a jersey number wrong. I was sent a low quality stream. I don’t stand behind the goal at their games.

If I make a big mistake at work that hurts my credibility, I have no problem with a berating, but I don’t need to post any further on what I watch if some anonymous person (are you a scout? parent? coach?) comes out of hiding to attack my credibility.

Also, I’ve not watched all the MLS Cup games yet. Again, this is done in my free time, not as a job. I can’t be attending these games or watching a soccer tournament 10 hours per day. However, for now I stand behind what I said. I don’t think from what I’ve seen so far that #16 is as good as you and some others think. That’s called a difference of opinion.

ChuckMe92, EXALIFTIN, clsafe and 3 others repped this.
  11. Husky13

Husky13 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Sep 11, 2019
    I don't have a dog directly in this hunt (so to speak) - it isn't as if anything you said was insulting to a kid of mine or anything. Your statement sounds very much like "I am going to take my ball and go home", which is unfortunate. It is great to comment on players, but you also need to be willing to accept criticism.

Personally, I don't think Olney will turn out to be the second coming either, but for a December 2006 birthday (that is what I heard) player to perform at the level he did in a top-tier U17 event is impressive nonetheless. I think a statement such as "Rutkowski is the only real prospect" deserved to be called out. Similarly, while I don't simplistically measure the worth of an age group by wins and losses, stating that U17 is a "weak age group" for PDA when that team just finished as a runner-up (on PKs) in the MLS Next playoffs is somewhat absurd.

If you don't agree, do you care to back up your statements? Or I suppose you are free to just take your ball and go home :)

Peretz48 repped this.
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don’t plan to take my ball and go home, but this is an internet soccer forum. We all come here in our free time. Many inevitably leave due to not liking the discourse. I’m not going to stand there as a punching bag. I can do other things with my time than post here. I’m not going to leave due to one disrespectful comment, but if it happened regularly, I would leave. Besides, I probably make many small mistakes in what I say. I remember a mistake I made last month. If my credibility was attacked each time I made a small mistake, I would leave.

I’ve not watched all of PDA’s games from this tournament, so I don’t want to say I won’t change my opinion yet. I’m also not sure Olney Jr. played in the game you reacted to. I had no guide of who to watch out for on PDA U-17’s, so I watched their team in that game to try to figure it out myself. I did not observe that they had any prospects in what I watched. I can’t possibly keep track of exactly which 11 (usually more) players appeared in a game for a team that I don’t have much prior guide on the team beforehand.

I think this PDA team looks like the type of team that has a lot of players who’ll top out as college soccer players and don’t have real professional potential. They usually do field competitive teams, but pro potential requires skills that translate to a much higher level.

As to Olney Jr, I think my opinion right now is that he’s a very fringe level prospect. That could change (in either direction) as I watch the rest of their games in this tournament. I’ve only seen his performance against FC Dallas so far. While he looked like the best pro prospect of their team, I didn’t see anything in his game that I thought projects that great to the pro game. He played well in that game, but as I’m sure you know, players can play great games at this level and make great plays without showing pro skills. I am factoring his age into that calculation. I’d probably suggest he was a non-prospect if he was an ‘04.

Husky13 repped this.
  13. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    Mate, these aren’t exactly scientific based things we discuss in here. No one has to back up their statements because they are nothing more than opinion. He thinks one way, you think the other. Simple as.

Also, most don’t really judge player potential on how good or bad a team is. When weak age groups are mentioned, it’s not about weak teams, it’s about limited numbers of potential professional players. Solars current U19 team just finished runners up at the MLS tournament and won the U17 edition of the DA playoffs. They might have 1 legitimate pro prospect on that squad, yet been a fantastic team over the past few years. Maybe it’s the same for the PDA team he was describing. This is not a knock against the club, the team or the player. It’s simply one persons opinion based on what they have seen.

You are free to not agree with him, but making things personal doesn’t do much for the overall conversation.

14. Husky13

Husky13 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Sep 11, 2019
    I think if you go back and re-read my original reply, it was hardly the over-the-top criticism you and 97531 are making it out to be. I stated that it hurts the credibility of these assessments when you applaud the goal-keeping skills of a player who doesn't play keeper. Is that such a terrible statement? And, I wrapped up by saying that overall, I appreciate the commentary. TOUCHY, TOUCHY!

In general, I actually appreciate people who don't just jump on the bandwagon of the most-hyped prospects. I laugh (and sometimes get frustrated) at the all-knowing commentary from some who run blogs, etc. - stating that, for example, a certain player is a lock to make the youth USYNT world cup squad when that player is sliding down the list in his own club.

15. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    No one said you were over the top.

I don’t think many are in search of credibility, they do it because they enjoy it. When you are considered a genius when you hit 1 out of 5 prospects, one can argue it’s a numbers game and not a credibility game. There are people that make a good living in this game by hitting on one single prospect. A poster in this forum is a bit different than scouting for Real Madrid, when it’s your job to deliver results. I don’t think anyone would presume otherwise.

Many of these guys watch games on shit streams with no roster information. If mismatching a name and kit number is the worst thing that happens, we are lucky.

Everyone can caveat what they say by adding “in my opinion”, but I think we are already at the point where that is understood.

16. Husky13

Husky13 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Sep 11, 2019
    Well, the private message I received from 97531 continuing with a tirade about this issue, claiming "objectively, my credibility is pretty high" and stating "I don’t ask anyone to pat me on the back for being the first person on the internet to be talking about players such as Pepi, Gomez, Nyeman, Paredes, Che, Sullivan ...." suggests otherwise.

17. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    Maybe you struck a nerve, I have no idea.

You have every right to think certain ways about players, just as he does. However, this place is better when we debate our disagreements and stay away from calling people out for something as trivial as putting the wrong name with the wrong kit number.

Let’s move on from this. I hope everyone enjoys their 4th. It’s weird being abroad on this holiday.

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    So now we've gotten to the point of posting PM's on the forum. Thats not only a violation of the rules of the website, but it's probably more disrespectful than anything this guy said previously.

I might as well post the whole thing, so this guy can't pick out a few words he doesn't like. I was trying to reason with this guy by sending him a PM to clear it up, but we might as well put it out in the open if he wants to attack my credibility further.

This is the full post I sent him. I meant to keep it private, but now it's not.

Brotheryoungbuck and Winoman repped this.
  19. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s right about all that. His credibility is high and he was the first to talk about a lot of players that are household names in the YNT/MNT community.

I don’t know whether he does it for the credibility or because he loves doing it, but it doesn’t really matter and I don’t want him to change a thing. He has been wrong, as we all have, but I for one appreciate the time he puts into it. It makes it a lot easier for me to see which players are worth taking a look at and what teams I probably shouldn’t spend my time on.

I don’t think you’re wrong to question his stance on PDA. Your opinion is as valid as any of ours. He’s not the end-all word on youth development and doesn’t claim to be. We all have our hits and misses and we all disagree at times. It’s important to discuss and disagree, but we just all have to take this with a grain of salt. We all have our humbling Andrew Carlton-type of experience that reminds us we don’t know everything. Next time, just say you disagree and that will either open a discussion or be the end of it. I think most of us enjoy the discussion and debate over differing opinions, especially if they come from an informed perspective

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    To clear up the initial confusion, the Seattle GK I was mentioning is named Trevor Wilson. That solves this problem, and this discussion doesn't need to go any further.

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #821 ussoccer97531, Jul 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    gogorath repped this.
  22. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Look man, I’m amazed you are able to find the information you do. I’ve seen you comment on games from teams not even included in DA/MLS Next. You Look across multiple age groups. From any one year I figure you are checking out at least a couple of thousand players. From mostly bad camera angle/poor quality streams. Teams that for whatever reason seem to hide names or attach them to jersey numbers. Teams that bring in mystery guest players that even parents have no idea who they are. The fact you spend a huge amount of time sleuthing out the correct players astounds me. I’m not sure a professional scout who did this for a living would be more accurate under these restrictions to be honest.

upprv, EXALIFTIN, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  23. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve been going back and watching all the streams from the playoffs and in the first RSL u-15 game against Total Football Academy, the announcer says that Axel Kei’s birthday is 12/30/07. I think we have to assume he’s right no matter how much it doesn’t look like that’s true to our eyes. Let’s hope he keeps developing.

24. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Watched most of them and Jude Wellings is definitely moving up my board. A poor man's Simon Gil with a little more offensive skills but less midfield general SG is.
    Nice first touch reads the game at an elevated level, doesn't rush, smooth, very good passer and good soccer athletic skills. And looks like he's actually an 06. Dano likey.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  25. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like Jude’s game. Consistently the best overall player in that RSL side. In regards to the YNT’s he has an uphill battle competing with other 8/10’s like Adrian Gill, Bento Estrela, Aaron Heard, Morris Spaltenstein, Micah Burton and Ryan Reid. This is the age group that needs a larger YNT camp the most because there’s so much talent to evaluate together

Fernando Delgado was a star for me this week in goal for RSL. I’ve heard fantastic things from Monarchs about him and he met the expectations. He’s either the best 06 goalkeeper or a top 3 GK in my opinion and reminds me a ton of David Ochoa. He was the best GK of the week that I saw and if it wasn’t for Andrew Rick’s PK shootout heroics against Galaxy than Delgado should’ve won it who also won a shootout himself.

Axel Kei doesn’t seem like an 07 and in the next 06 YNT camp he should get a look to get a proper physical challenge

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.