2020-21 Academy Season

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Sep 4, 2020.

1. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey everyone, I’m looking for these YNT Regional ID Center rosters if anyone has them:
    San Jose 04/05
    San Jose 06/07
    Denver 04/05
    Denver 06/07
    South Carolina 04/05
    South Carolina 06/07
    Tampa 06/07

I currently have the others and have put them into a spreadsheet but would like to see the full pool of players who were given a look

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Some teams I've struggling to get game tape on from this season. If anyone has any tape on these teams, please either reply here or send me a PM.

Chicago Fire U-15
    Chicago Fire U-17
    Colorado Rapids U-15
    LAFC U-15
    LAFC U-17
    Minnesota U-15
    Minnesota U-17
    New England Revolution U-15
    Portland U-15
    Portland U-17
    RSL U-15
    RSL U-17
    San Jose U-15
    Seattle U-15
    SKC U15

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I've mentioned this briefly, but I wanted to expand on a certain point.

Myles Perkovich has raised his stock the most of the 06's I was aware of prior to the season, and maybe the most of any 06's, including the ones I didn't know of. I probably misevaluated his game slightly, but I also think he's shown some good improvement. He's one of the top players in the '06 age group, and a player that this country doesn't produce much of. A big winger with elite athleticism, dribbling, and creativity is the type of player you see produced by Brazil, Colombia, France. It'll be fun to watch him develop further.

On a larger point, I am very impressed with Inter Miami's academy so early on. The team is only in their second season, but they are building up a great pool of players within their academy.

Here are the players from each age group I'd consider real prospects within their academy (to varying degrees).

2003 (3): Azcona, Reyes, E. Hardin
    2004 (4): Allen, Natoli, D. Hardin, Batiste
    2005 (5): Velez, Rossi, Keise, Boatwright, Valencia
    2006 (10): Dejman, Francis, Hall, Parquet, DePalo, DePauala, Quevado, Perkovich, Rojas, Destin
    2007 (3): Morales, Perez (not for long), Bush

You could add Bucknor from the 02's, and the '07 list is based on the 07's they played with the U-15's so far this season. I haven't seen the full age group, so there's a good chance it's a very talented age group with many players missing from what I listed. However, I think the point stands that Inter Miami's player production right now is right up there with the top academies in the league.

Inter Miami doesn't get their due as one of the top academies in the league because it's a newer academy, and there are also very few people pumping up their academy/club that we see with teams like FCD, Philly Union, LAG, LAFC, Atlanta United, NYRB, NYCFC. I think they are competing on talent with these academies. They need to start getting acknowledged as having one of the best MLS academies.

It also shouldn't come as a surprise. Our third most populous state should have one of the best academies in the country. Also, that Miami area has a big South American/Latin influence in its culture, so there's significant interest in soccer in that area of the country. The Miami area (and Florida in general) produces some of the best athletes in the country. While a club like Orlando is probably at a disadvantage in competing with Inter Miami for the talent they have to pick from, Orlando has been doing a bad job for a long time, and Inter Miami has instantly come in and surpassed them.

That doesn't mean they'll integrate these players into the first team. We've yet to see it with clubs like LAG and LAFC. Even if they don't, it's good to have an MLS academy (which we all know comes with certain advantages) to develop these players at the academy level that we knew were there at clubs like Weston, Kendall, Chargers, etc.

STR1, gogorath and Luksarus repped this.
  4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Houston U-17: Mateo Pinilla ('05) is a left-footed CB. Average or slightly better height, above-average passer. Slightly slow, and not better than average defensively. Being a left-footed CB who has good enough size and can pass the ball gets him into the prospect sphere. The rest needs significant work.

San Antonio U-17: Bryan Arellano ('05) was the best player for SAFC, but I thought he had a weak performance. I expect better than the best player in a team without any other prospects. He wasn't as quick, active, creative as I've seen before. His performance was more scattered without as much chance creation as you'd expect.

SKC U-17: Nati Clarke ('05) put in a very good performance defensively. He's been really good defensively the last few games I've seen. I'm not sure he's put a foot wrong on the defensive end. The team he plays for is terrible. I know there are some concerns voiced that he hasn't shown great passing this season, but that team can't pass the ball. They never have it. The players don't move off the ball. The passing lanes are nearly non-existent because teams squeeze the field the few times during a game they'll actually have possession. It's not a team where a player can build from the back. I'm not worried about the technique of a CB who takes set pieces. He's had a good season IMO. I'm also not sure I've seen him play the same position for 90 minutes once this season. They constantly move him between LCB, RCB, and LB.

Houston U-16: Juan Esteban Godinez Castellanos ('05) had a very weak performance. I had previously been impressed by his goalkeeping. Not this game. I won't say that it undoes the good play and the tools I've seen before, and I shouldn't make too much of one game, but it's slight stock down situation. Zacarias Escobar-Bowie ('05) is a very talented CF. He has excellent foot skills for a CF. He has good height, and is pretty athletic. He holds the ball up well, and combines well with teammates. I think he has a lot of potential. I've been very impressed with him now two seasons in a row.

Jhosua Jory ('05) has elite speed/dribbling ability as an inverted RW, but his soccer IQ is lacking and he doesn't make good decisions in the final third. He will be a pro player. I think he's too naturally talented not to be. I don't know though about what position he'll play. If he could defend at even a below-average but not terrible level, he could be a really good LWB due to what he'd add offensively. If not, probably an inverted RW.

Iyck Dafe ('05) has good size/speed down the wing, but I don't really see much in the way of standout offensive skills, and his defending is slightly below-average right now. His soccer IQ isn't that good either. He's right now been switching between RB/RWB/RW. I don't see how he could play RW at the pro level effectively. I think he'll be a RB/RWB. I think it's possible, but his defense needs some work, and I don't think he has a high ceiling at the position. Ricardo Garcia ('05) has been called into some YNT camps not long ago, so I will mention him. I don't see a prospect here, but I could be wrong.

San Antonio U-16: Angel Bernal ('05) is an athletic RB who likes to get forward. He's a good dribbler, he's direct in his approach of pushing forward, and he likes to put in crosses. I don't see anything great in his offensive skillset, but there's a lot of good offensive tools. Defensively, he looks like he'll be about pro average. I could see him being slightly better than that. He's a good player. Probably the best RB in a weak RB age group. He's similar to a player like George Bello IMO.

Houston U-15: Luis Moreno ('06) is great against his age group. I've mentioned that, and don't need to discuss it more. I did see him play one game with the U-16's, although I'm mentioning him with the U-15's because this is his normal age group for this similar. He looked pretty good with the U-16's, so it's good to see his game translating up one age group, even if it's still not the highest level of the game.

Brian Alanis ('06) is probably the top LB in the '06 age group. He's an above-average offensive fullback. Good foot skills, combines well, good passer. Defensively, he's slightly above average, and could be good with some improvements. I don't see him ever being a lock down defender. He's too aggressive offensively for that, but his defense is a strength. My only concern is his athleticism. I don't find it any worse than average at the U-15 level, but as he moves up the different levels, the game is more athletic. We'll see how he physically develops. If he can get taller/quicker, it's probably the difference between like the 1st/2nd best fullback in a normal age group and the 5th/6th. He also played a game with the U-16's, and I thought he also played well.

Chris Guillen ('07) is one of the best 07's I've seen so far. I find him very inconsistent, which isn't unusual, given his age. When he's on his game, he shows elite ability to play out of the back with incredible composure on the ball. He's also capable of playing some very good games defensively. He also has some games where he's too risky on the ball, and makes some defensive errors. He's playing up an age group, so that has to be accounted for, but he's inconsistent right now. I think he's probably right about average speed, maybe a little worse. His height is probably a little above average, but close to average for a kid his age. If he continues developing well, I'd say he could be a similar level and style player to Casey Walls in 4 years.

Tyler Mitchell ('06) is a newer recruit to Houston Dynamo. He was added to the team in-season. He's a RB. They sometimes use him at RW, but he's a RB at higher levels. He's a pretty well-rounded player. He's an above-average offensive player. The best part of his game is probably his dribbling, but he also makes good decisions, has above-average speed, and he has some skill. Defensively, he's about average, maybe slightly better. There's nothing he does that is too far away from projecting as average. He's not a player who has any big strengths or weaknesses but he has a lot more tools that project towards above the average bar than below it.

Austin U-15: Spencer Sanderson ('06) is a consistent GK. He doesn't make very many errors, he has good size. He probably has around average reflexes. Maybe a little better. He has a good command of his area. He's a little weak building from the back, but not terrible. I don't see a high ceiling and I don't think he's one of the top GK's in the '06 age group, but he has tools that should advance him into the pro game eventually. Sho Luke Haggerty ('06) is probably the best player in this team, although it wasn't a strong age group. He's a CB with good athleticism. Above-average size and moves pretty well. He's a good defensive player. He reads the game well, and is usually well positioned. His athleticism also helps him out. He's a little worse than average on the ball. He's a pro prospect, although not a particularly exciting one.

SKC U-15: Ryan Reid ('06) still reminds me a lot of Thomas Roberts. I thought it was probably a lazy comparison after I initially made it because they look alike, but it's more accurate than I gave myself credit for. The skillsets are very similar. He was playing LW in this game, and I've also seen him play RW last season. He's a CAM. He can pass the ball, he's probably an average athlete, he likes to dribble with the ball, and he's pretty creative. The downside is that he's small with average, at best, athleticism and he's not hugely dynamic. There's probably not huge upside. I'm also not sure he's good enough to be a YNT caliber player, but he's not that far off.

Carlito Saylon ('06) looked like the best prospect on the team. He's a GK who moved to SKC this season from a club in Michigan. He was very good in every area of the game. He is good with his feet, he has good size, he has good reflexes, he has a good command of his area. He made no mistakes, and a few very difficult saves. This is the first game I've seen him play, so I need to see more, but he looked like a very good GK prospect from what I saw in this game.

5. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple tid bits to add from my end

- Houston are very high on Matteo Pinilla. When the 05’s had their YNT camp right before covid, Matteo and Diego Rosales (LAFC) we’re reportedly the standout center backs in the camp
    - After Matteo it looks like Brian Alanis and Chris Guillien are the next up big prospects. Luis Moreno could be potentially as well but athleticism is a question
    - For Austin FC, Micah Burton is almost a virtual lock for being their first homegrown unless he gets a big injury. Apparently Claudio is very keen on him. Sho Luke Haggerty can also be used as a LB and routinely played up an age group at left back at his previous club. Both Micah and Sho are 2006’s from Minnesota United. When Minnesota closed their academy they lost those two along with Bajung Darboe and Solomon Straub. Those four could be argued of being the best 06 HG bound contingent in the country that Minnesota passed on, huge mistake in my opinion
    - For the SKC 06’s Edgar Bazan is the guy. Edgar can play every midfield position but is best deployed as a 6. I’m not sure if how he’ll do with the YNT because the 2006’s also have Matthew Corcoran, Mark Cajamarca, Tino Vasquez, and Solomon Straub there in what is an extremely deep and high level positional depth.

As always, thank you for putting in the work @ussoccer97531

USSoccerNova, gogorath and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    SKC doesn’t list numbers or positions for their roster, only names. There were a few other players I would’ve mentioned, but I didn’t know their names and wasn’t close to figuring it out. I don’t think Bazan played in the U-15 game I watched. The other two players I would’ve mentioned were the #8 and #10.

7. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MLS Next regular season has concluded. Next up are the playoffs and showcase. Playoffs will be for the u15, u16, u17, and u19 age groups

The top 2 teams in each division have auto qualified. There are 9 divisions for these age groups so 18 teams in each group have auto qualified. This means another 14 teams will get wildcard bids. There is a “wildcard” division for the four age groups online but it’s a complete toss up on how that works and what teams are getting those bids

The playoff structure is a 32 team single elimination tournament. Aka MLS Next Madness

There will also be a concurrent showcase happening for other clubs that want to participate who didn’t qualify for playoffs. I am assuming that every MLS academy that didn’t qualify for playoffs will mandatory be participating in the showcase

For the showcase teams, there will be an event each night that’s essentially an all star game based off of the top performers of the day. This will be a lot on the legs for the players involved but will be a highly viewed and scouted event every night

gogorath, Luksarus and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  8. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    I think one qualification to the structure you have described is the operation of points per game. The number of games teams have played has varied wildly because of different travel restrictions and bracket sizes, which is why they added the points per game column on the standings for Spring. From what I have seen second-hand regarding preliminary seeding, they seem to be based entirely on PPG.

9. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What’s weird is that the “wildcard” group on the MLS Next are all the same teams from Texas, Arizona, and So Cal. The selection process is extremely vague

10. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    I’m not sure those wildcard standings are more than placeholders yet. I haven’t scrutinized them closely, but from a quick glance of the U15, some of the teams have different records than they do in their regular division (eg FC Dallas has 11 games, when they only have 9 games recorded in the regular Frontier Bracket and they aren’t the same games). I know the 4 CA clubs listed are the ones that played against the AZ teams before MLS shut down those games as violating CA’s travel orders and then MLS subsequently created a separate Southwest AZ division.

11. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Nor Cal U17s had a 5 game season.

12. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a webinar announcement for MLS Next playoffs happening on Sunday. Hopefully the schedule is released then. Apparently not all of the division games have concluded yet so spots are not finalized

Both SKC and NYRB will not be at the playoffs or showcase

derrick mize repped this.
  13. manutd02

manutd02 Member

Oct 23, 2002
    This is not accurate. Each division has a different number of teams that will qualify automatically based on total number of eligible teams in that division and age group (ie a conference could get 4 automatic qualifiers in 1 age group but only 3 in another based on total number of teams in that age group). Several clubs have opted out of attending the playoffs/showcase and games against those clubs will not count towards the conference standings (they will count towards the wildcard standings, however). There will be very few clubs that get a wildcard bid and that number will defer from age group to age group.

14. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    dallas in late june sounds hot

SCSAutism, abcdefghi and Winoman repped this.
  15. SoCalRedDevil

SoCalRedDevil Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 8, 2020
    #741 SoCalRedDevil, Jun 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    Looking at the TopDrawer Soccer Rankings...
    (Note: yes, I know that these plus $3 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. No, my kid doesn't play for SDSC, just think they don't get the love they deserve... but that'll be short-lived as they have kids leaving for Philadelphia Union and Austin FC).

U14s 2007s

1. Phili: 8-0, 29 GF, 8 GA, did not face the other MLS team in their division (NYRB)
    2. LAFC: 10-0, including a 5-2 win over LAG. 56 GF, 8 GA
    3. NYRB: 9-1, 39 GF, 5 GA
    4. LAG, 8-1-1 , 44 GF, 15 GA. 9-1-1 with a tournament loss to SDSC 3-2
    5. SD Surf: 14-1 in ECNL, 69 GF, 6 GA. 2nd in ECNL behind #11 SDSC and Loss to SDSC on PKs at Man City. Won Covid version of Dallas Cup.
    6 FC Dallas: 9-0-2, 33 GF, 7GA including 7-1 over #9 Austin FC and 3-1 over #8 Solar.
    7 Sacramento Republic FC: 6-0 2nd in their division on points (less games), below #13 De Anza who they beat 3-1. 29 GF, 3 GA
    8 Solar Soccer Club 7-2-2, including 3-1 loss to Dallas
    9 Austin FC: 6-4-3, 20 GF, 19 GA, losses to Solar and Dallas FC
    10 Albertson Fury - ECNL.15-1, 90 GF, 9 GA.
    11 San Diego Soccer Club: 15-1 in ECNL, 59 GF, 4 GA. Wins over #4 LAG and #5 SD Surf. #1 in SW ECNL
    12: Atlanta United: 8-0-1, 33GF, 11 GA
    13 De Anza Force: 7-1-1. 34 GF, 5 GA
    14: Inter Miami: 8-1-1. 2-1 loss to Atlanta. 43 GF, 9 GA
    15: Cincinnati FC: Note: They have some good results with some decent teams in that division... Chicago Fire, Indiana, St. Louis... seems like that there are challenging games and parity in the MidAmerica results.

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Season is wrapping up. I figured I might make a cheat-sheet about the categories people constantly talk about that. Only 2002-2006 age groups.

Age Group Rankings (Best to Worst): 2003, 2004, 2005, 2002, 2006

Rationale of Age Group Rankings: 2003 is far beyond the others. It'd be an upset if it doesn't end up better than the 98's and 00's IMO. GK is weak, but every other position looks like a golden age group. 2004 is very respectable in nearly every aspect, but lacks the top-end (field) players. 2005 is almost the exact opposite of 2005. There are a few players who look like big talents, but there are just way too many question marks surrounding the depth of the age group.

2002 has the great top-end current USMNT players and depth in GK's, but weak depth and weak top-end (after the current NT players). 2006 is not bad. I just think it's less proven at this point. Part of that is not their fault with COVID. A lot of the 2006 depth players are big upside players, so I suspect it will rise as some of them develop.

Best Position Groups: 2002 GK's, 2004 GK's, 2003 DM/CM's, 2003 AM/Wing, 2004 DM/CM's, 2003 Fullbacks (Left and Right), 2005 DM/CM's, 2006 Fullbacks (Mostly Right, Some Left), 2003 CF's, 2003 CB's, 2004 CB's, 2004 AM/Wing, 2006 DM/CM's

Worst Position Groups: 2002 CF's, 2002 DM/CM's, 2002 CB's, 2003 GK's, 2004 CF's, 2005 Fullbacks (Left and Right), 2005 CF's, 2006 CF's, 2006 CF's

Familial Connections: Marzaq Puckerin (Nephew of Shaka Hislop), Nico Carrera (Brother of Antonio), Gio Reyna (Son of Claudio and Danielle), Masango Akale (Brother of Mukwele), Beckham Sunderland (Son of Larry), Andrew Durkin (Brother of Chris), Ethan Hardin (Brother of Drew), Jonathan Gomez (Brother of Johan), Adrian Gonzalez (Brother of Jonathan), Dante Sealy (Son of Scott), Paxten Aaronson (Brother of Brenden), Patrick Weah (some relation to famous Weah family), Tyler Wolff (Son of Josh), Carson Klein (son of Chris), Gabe Slonina (Brother of Nicholas), Justin Reynolds (Brother of Andre), Ty Reynolds (Brother of Bryan), Kenan Hot (Cousin of Sacir), Zach Booth (Brother of Taylor), Drew Hardin (Brother of Ethan), Carlos Sanchez (Brother of Chris), Alan Carleton (Brother of Andrew), Chris Sanchez (Brother of Carlos), Owen Presthus (Son of Tom),

Best Athletes: Joe Scally, Bobby Pierre, Bryang Kayo, Gio Reyna, Bode Davis, Bernard Kamungo, Julian Kennedy, Dante Huckaby, Prince Amponsah, Jalen Neal, Marcus Ferkranus, Elton Chifamba, Tyler Freeman, Fabrizio Bernal, Patrick Bohui, Dante Sealy, Cade Cowell, Ricardo Pepi, Patrick Weah, Carson Klein, Tega Ikoba, Roald Mitchell, Antonio Leone, Efrain Morales, Nigel Prince, Samuel Jones, Thomas Williams, Tristan Viviani, Caleb Wiley, Fede Oliva, Darren Yapi, Korede Osundina, Andrew Sullins, Zion Scarlett, Nati Clarke, Demitrious Tanks, Ty Nero, Matiwos Rumley, Haroun Conteh, Mikhail Keise, Reed Baker-Whiting, Caden Grabfelder, Malcolm Fry, Chris Thaggard, Jhosua Jory, Ansu Kanneh, Zacarias Bowie-Escobar, Daniel Sebhatu, Guy Michaeli, James Lear, Wladimir Francis, Kelvin Da Costa, Matai Akinmboni, Dane Agustin, Agnaldo Germano, Dominic Bell, Jaden Francis, Copeland Berkley, Myles Perkovich, Bryce Jamison, Bryan Destin

Fastest Players: Tayvon Gray, Yunus Musah, Bernard Kamungo, Jason Bucknor, Meny Silva, Chris Garcia, Sam Sarver, Cade Cowell, Patrick Weah, Roald Mitchell, Nigel Prince, Samuel Jones, Amari Salley, Dantouma Toure, Cade McGrath, Korede Osundina, Nati Clarke, Gage Akalu, Ty Wilson, Malcolm Fry, Chris Thaggard, Alexis Luna, Jhosua Jory, Ansu Kanneh, Robert Wilcott, Daniel Sebhatu, Kelvin Da Costa, Tyler Hall, Miles Perkovich, Izaiah Garza, Moises Arciniega, Bryce Jamison

Great Soccer IQ, Needs Further Physical Development: Jack McGlynn, Moses Nyeman, Edison Azcona, Evan Rotundo, Austin Brummett, Tyler Morck, Alan Carleton, Diego Ceja, Diego Hernandez, Adriel Rocha, Matthew Schenfeld, Luis Moreno, Mark Cajamarca, Owen Presthus, Alessandro Maldonado, Jared Salazar,

Most Dynamic Attackers: Kobe Hernandez-Foster, Gio Reyna, Cameron Dunbar, Alfonso Ocampo-Chavez, Bernard Kamungo, Hope Kodzo, Jonathan Gomez, Moses Nyeman, Chris Garcia, Sam Sarver, Fabrizio Bernal, Kevin Paredes, Sebastian Nava, Dante Sealy, Brian Gutierrez, Matthew Rouu, Roald Mitchell, Quinn Sullivan, Leo Torres, Amari Salley, Allan Juarez, Christian Torres, Nati Clarke, Gage Akalu, Ty Wilson, Milton Jones, Chris Thaggard, Felipe Valencia, Dominic Dubon, Marcus Vazquez, Adriel Rocha, Alexis Luna, Jhosua Jory, Ansu Kanneh, Alexis Alcala, Caleb Borneo, Serge Ngoma, Marcelo Mazzola, Robert Willcot, Zacarias Bowie-Escobar, Owen Presthus, Miles Perkovich, Moises Arciniega, Izaiah Garza, Sebastian Gonzalez, Bryce Jamison, Matt Routzah, Adrian Buri, Patrick Shaw, Miguel Padilla

Most Technical #8/#10's: Gio Reyna, David Rodriguez, Gianluca Busio, Gilbert Fuentes, Mario Penagos, Hope Kodzo, Cesar Garcia, Danny Leyva, Jack McGlynn, Moses Nyeman, Anthony Hernandez, Fabrizio Bernal, Caden Clark, Paxten Aaronson, Dairon Reyes, Brian Gutierrez, Wilfredo Rivera, Ronald Fuentes, Pearse O'Brien, Phillie Villapadua, Evan Rotundo, Quinn Sullivan, Luis Lima, Osvaldo Cisneros, Allan Juarez, Dylan Lacy, Noel Buck, Tyler Morck, Xander Martin, Alan Carleton, Diego Ceja, Diego Hernandez, Bryan Arellano, Dominic Dubon, Alex Alcala, Adriel Rochoa, Luis Moreno, Copeland Berkley, Andri Frisheri, Owen Presthus, Alejandro Granados Torres, Alessandro Maldonado, Sebastian Gonzalez, Morris Spaltenstein, Nicholas Beil, Andres Bacho, Jared Salazar, Jack Brown,

Most Technical CB's/#6's: Nico Carrera, Hayden Sargis, Josh Atencio, Casey Walls, Israel Carrillo, Tarun Karumanchi, Nicholas Pariano, James Wangsness, Antonio Leone, Alejandro Cano, Thomas Williams, Cody Baker, Brandan Craig, Jack Gilman, Juan Torres, Cooper Flax, Nati Clarke, Emilio Rossi, Mateo Pinilla, Angel Martinez, Francis Jacobs, Bryan Moyado, Alex Perez, Paul Chen, Dash Papez, Matthew Corcoran, Jaden Francis, Garry Zhang,

Potential For Positional Versatility: Joe Scally (RB/CB/DM/CM), Tayvon Gray (CB, RB, DM), Gio Reyna (CAM, RW, LW, CF), Gianluca Busio (DM, CM, CAM, SS), Theodore Ku-DiPietro (CM, CAM, LW, RW, CF), Jack McGlynn (DM, CM, CAM), Sota Kitahara (RB, CB, DM, CM), Fabrizio Bernal (CAM, CF, RW, LW), Cade Cowell (CF, LW, RW, RWB), Sebastian Nava (LW, RW, RWB, CAM), Collin Smith (RWB, RB, RW, LW, CF), Roald Mitchell (LW, RW, CF, SS), Justin Reynolds (RB, LB, CM, DM), Ty Reynolds (RWB, RB, RW), Efrain Morales (CM, DM, CB), Jaziel Orozco (RB, CB, DM), Cody Baker (DM, CB, RB, LB, CM), Jackson Gilman (DM, CM, CB, RB, LB), Zach Booth (CM, CAM, DM), Fede Oliva (LW, RW, CF, CAM), Christian Torres (CF, LW, RW, CAM), Nati Clarke (CB, LB, RB, DM, CM), Darsein Gabriel (CM, DM, LB), Obed Vargas (CM, CAM, DM), Alan Carleton (CM, CAM, DM), Jonathan Villal (CAM, LW, RW, CM), Christopher Thaggard (CAM, LW, RW, CF), Serge Ngoma (LW, RW, SS, CF), Jhosua Jory (LWB, LB, RW, LW), James Lear (CF, CB, CM), Zacarias Bowie-Escobar (CF, LW, RW, CAM), Robert Willcot (CF, LW, RW, SS), Guy Michaeli (CF, CB, CM), Kelvin Da Costa (CB, RB, DM), Alex Perez (CB, LB, CDM), Agnaldo Germano (CB, DM, RB), Tyler Hall (CB, DM, RB), Copeland Berkley (CM, CAM, DM), Bajung Darboe (SS, LW, RW, CF), Miles Perkovich (RW, LW, CAM, CM), Nicholas Beil (CM, DM, CAM), Patrick Shaw (SS, LW, RW, CF)

Big Upside For non-Elite Players:

Julian Gaines-He's revolutionized his game at RB. Great going forward, pretty good defensively, athletic. One of the most successful position switches you'll see.
    Luciano Natoli-Best passing GK in the system, is the rest of his skillset good enough?
    Thomas Williams-Tall and athletic two-footed CB with very good passing but raw defense
    Denilson Velasquez-Technically excellent LB
    Efrain Morales-Tremendous athlete, great passing/composure on ball, extremely raw
    Allan Juarez-Fast rising #10 prospect whose added a step of quickness and more aggressiveness in the last year
    Carlos Diaz-Impressive offensive LB, needs to learn to defend
    Tyler Morck-If he physically develops, he's McGlynn or better
    Jhosua Jory-He has elite athleticism/dribbling, needs a position and better decision making
    Ansu Kanneh-One of the fastest players you'll see play soccer at any level),
    Zacarias Bowie-Escobar-CF with few weaknesses and very good ball-skills/athleticism
    Wladimir Francis-Athleticism/skill down right wing, needs to find playing time and a position
    Dominic Bell-Great size/speed at CB, some defensive understanding, but clearly raw
    Matai Akinmboni-Towering left-footed CB with great athleticism, pretty good set of skills, but needs to become more consistent
    Copeland Berkley-Big CM with technique and athleticism, raw with consistency, physicality, and defensive play
    Gary Zhang-Very good range of passing and read of the game from the #6 position, but small and slow-
    Bryce Jamison-Big, athletic winger with great technique, very inconsistent and soccer IQ isn't great

Note: I've upgraded Gaines to elite recently, so he probably shouldn't be listed, but I don't think it's caught up enough with others, so I will make the point that he's probably the first of these types of players to fulfill their potential.

Left Footers (Off the top of my head so I'm missing some): Bobby Pierre (CB), Bernardo Kamungo (AM/Wing), Casey Walls (CB), Dante Sealy (AM/Wing), Kevin Paredes (AM/Wing), Thomas Williams (CB), Leo Torres (AM/Wing), Dantouma Toure(CF/Wing), Matiwos Rumley (CB), Haroun Conteh (CB/LB), Noel Buck (DM/CM), Felipe Valencia(AM/Wing), Gage Akalu (AM/Wing), Alex Alcala (AM/Wing), Matai Akinmboni (CB), Alex Perez (LB), Alejandro Granados Torres (AM/Wing), Owen Presthus (AM, Wing)

Note: I'm pretty sure Owen Presthus is right-footed, but he's as two-footed of a player as you'll see. Saying he's not left-footed would be an insult to his ability with his left. He takes set pieces with both feet, depending on which trajectory makes more sense.

Best Crossers: Kobe Hernandez-Foster, Mauricio Cuevas, Kevin Paredes, Edison Azcona, Noah Allen, Denilson Velasquez, Diego Rossi, Marcus Vasquez, Adriel Rocha, Owen Presthus

True Box to Box Midfielders: Joe Suchecki, Alejandro Alvarado, Christian Nydegger, Zach Booth, Josemaria Barrera, Rokas Pukstas, Reed Baker-Whiting, Jordan Jones, Brooklyn Raines, Caden Grabfelder, Nikolas Tsakiris, Zachary Kennedy, Paulo Rudisill

Under-appreciated Players: Max Trejo, Julian Gaines, Matthew Acosta, Jansen Miller, Josh Ramsey, Zackery Farnsworth, Alex Villanueva, Mario Penagos, Will Reilly, Joe Suchecki, David Rodriguez, Hope Kodzo, Alfonso Ocampo-Chavez, Julian Kennedy, Andrew Cordes, Beckham Sunderland, Juston Rainey, Jalen Neal, Casey Walls, Marcus Ferkranus, Matthew Edwards, Boima Cummins, James Wangsness, Alejandro Alvarado, Daniel Edelman, Christian Nydegger, Anthony Hernandez, Sam Sarver, Fabrizio Bernal, Brian Gutierrez, Dante Williams, Matthew Roou, Caden Stafford, Matthew Tibbetts, Isaac Nehme, Luciano Natoli, Justin Reynolds, Alejandro Cano, Cody Baker, Jackson Gilman, Tristan Viviani, Denilson Velasquez, Joaquin Torres, Phillie Villapadua, Allan Juarez, Amari Salley, Korede Osundina, Cade McGrath, Gavin Beavers, Javier Zaragoza, Levi Bieber, Noah Livingston, Angel Bernal, Joseph Buckley, Haroun Conteh, Pranav DuBroff, Matiwos Rumley, Emilio Rossi, Sam Vota, Francis Jacobs, Tyler Morck, Brooklyn Raines, Xander Martin, Darsein Gabriel, Alan Carleton, Milton Jones, Luke Brennan, Adriel Rocha, Marcelo Mazzola, Zacarias Bowie-Escobar, Andrew Rick, Milo Parquet, Alejandro Urzua, Lucas De Paulo, Patrick Shaw

KUSA77, USSoccerNova, letsdothis and 2 others repped this.
  17. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of CFs in that “worst position group” field

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes, it’s a theme. I’m slightly worried, but they also develop later.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  19. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    #745 SUDano, Jun 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    I noticed #42's ball skills for Atlanta United during the MLS Next tourney and through rosters think its J.Villal (correct me if I'm wrong), then came across this video of his game from a last week and the highlight at 5:10 alone makes him a top prospect. Very good ball skills, quick, strong little fella. I like him but don't see him anywhere on your list of a thousand names. What gives? :)
    Watched the rest of the game and wow. Dribbled through the D a few times for 2 goals and an assist and if Alan Carleton is the tall skinny red headed kid pulled back, he is no where close the prospect as #42. PS then again ast 37:20.

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Villal is listed. Also, it’s a list of categories. Some players may fit better into categories. It’s not a list of the best players.

21. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    You do have him in versatility but also think he should be up there Attackers, Most Technical or even Big Upside or Under Appreciated. JMHO.
    Is it him? What are your thoughts. Alot of categories are really top players with all those categories related to talent.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    No, I don’t think so. I like Villal, but he’s not under-appreciated. I think he may be over-appreciated. He’s probably a #10, could also play as a winger or a double 8. He’s technical, but I’m not sure I’d consider him as elite in that category. What he does looks exciting, but I don’t think there’s as much potential pro soccer value in anything he brings as you’d think. I’ve watched him play a lot, and it took me a long time to realize that.

23. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s talked about Jonathan Villal being among the top 05’s at Atlanta for quite some time

Jonathan and Daniel Sebhatu are my highest rated 05’s for Atlanta

24. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Like score goals and assists while dribbling through defenses.....;)