2020-21 Academy Season

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Sep 4, 2020.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I've started to see more and more this season is that teams are using players out of position for reasons that aren't immediately clear. There are some games where you have to throw away the evaluation of a player (or close to it) because they are playing a position they don't regularly play, and won't play at higher levels.

In the Cincinnati game, they had multiple players out of position. Kennedy was at CB, but is a box to box CM. Gronostaj is a CB but played RB. Schenfeld is a RB but played CB. Roy is a CF, but played CAM. The next game I watched Jaden Francis and Matt Routzahn (two of the best Union prospects) were also playing out of position. Routzahn was playing as a #8. He's a #9. Francis was playing as a #9, he's a #6. The last few games I saw Francis play he was playing as a #9.

I'm sure there is a reason for all these decisions, and I'm not going to criticize it until I know why, but some of these games it's hard to evaluate a player. I try to evaluate certain skills that might be tested more in the new position than their normal position. I don't care much about the performance in a situation like this. Teams have started experimenting a lot this season with the positions of their players. I hadn't seen this much in prior seasons, but it's a new trend at this level. I think it's probably to develop certain skills for players, and to find minutes for less versatile (and worse) players who aren't best XI, while also getting your best prospects minutes.

2. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s the same reasons why Julian Araujo was used at winger. In other positions you’re forced to understand the duties of another spot in the game but it helps round out your skill and quality and improve your IQ. Some kids even when out of position like Schenfeld still thrive. Alex Perez for Philly was out of position as a 6 yesterday against Galaxy and still looked like the best player out there

What I’ve learned after talking and getting to know more MLS academy coaches and directors is that the individual game plan is almost always scripted before hand and there’s a specific intent behind everything, especially so when they are focusing on the higher echelon talents. Only exception obviously is if there’s an injury of red card. These guys will sacrifice a game result if it means a player they rate got more value out of the match

3. derrick mize

derrick mize New Member

Ajax
    Germany
    May 28, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    David is absolutely correct. In addition to the points of developing different skills and finding minutes for less versatile players, moving positions forces the player to solve different problems tactically, physically and technically. A few days ago my son was moved from his usual center forward spot to a deeper midfield role for these very reasons.

Also at this point in the season clubs are evaluating players who normally don't get starter minutes to see if they will return next season or not.

gogorath and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  4. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Jack still bang in 2-3 goals like normal?

5. derrick mize

derrick mize New Member

Ajax
    Germany
    May 28, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    nope, he did score a goal and drew a penalty off a take-on, but hit the post on the pen. i really believe at this age, playing a different position is highly valuable development tool. i understand it not being a priority every match, but definitely in training and certain matches it's needed.

David Kerr, gogorath and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  6. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By team here have been my standouts from this weekend:

Atlanta
    - Daniel Sebhatu, 2005, ST/W: I think among all the u17 players for Atlanta, including the USL guys, Sebhatu is the biggest prospect. He has the size, pace, IQ, and skill of a high ceiling attacker. Only question for me is he a striker or winger?
    - Caleb Wiley, 2004, LB: he has no business playing in this event. When they sell Bello it’ll be an easy replacement
    - Ty Moore, 2006, ST: if it wasn’t for Sebhatu then Ty would be with the 17’s. He is also Shaq Moore’s younger brother. He’s tall, strong, and pretty good on the ball. He used to be a dominant center back but is now playing as a 9, against both Crew and Cinci he’s been a menace. One for a potential YNT look
    - Pavel Romero, 2006, CM: Pavel for a couple years now has been the biggest prospect in this Atlanta 2006 class. He isn’t the most athletic but is the most intelligent and is very skilled. He does a little bit of everything out there and I don’t know how to describe it but you could just see the quality in his play on and off the ball
    - Bryce Jamison, W, 2006: this kid may be the 2021 version of Chris Thaggard. Newer to the Atlanta academy he was electric in his play this weekend, in particular against the Columbus crew. Bryce had not one but two certified bangers in the span of 5 minutes coming on as a sub yesterday. Outside of those bangers we was a constant threat running at Crew’s back line with the ball dribbling circles around them. He has been the biggest revelation of the showcase for me and I’m excited to see if he can continue this form tomorrow. If he can he’ll quickly enter my top winger list for the 2006’s.

Columbus Crew:
    - Caleb Borneo, 2005, W: I was hoping for more out of Caleb in these games as he’s been with the Crew 19’s lately but the skill set is there. He has the pace and he has the skill on the ball that you want to see in a winger. He’s been with Trinidad YNT’s in the past but at the rate he’s been progressing he could be an option for our YNT’s
    - Levi Stephens, CB, 2004: Levi was the youngest player Crew brought to their preseason and in the game against NYC he was noticeably better than the other defenders for Crew. He could be better on the ball but I think after a year or two at Akron he has homegrown potential
    - Owen Presthus, W, 2006: I’ve seen Owen play numerous times this season and Friday was by far his best performance in a very long time. He’s really struggled with injuries and consistency but he looked like a player who could content for a YNT spot against NYCFC. He is good with both feet, thinks fast, and delivers a very good cross. But he has to be able to consistently show up in games
    - Sagar Patel, 6, 2006: Sagar is the most consistent player in this Crew 2006 team. Every game I see him play he’s just dominant. He wins every dual, he plays out of pressure, and he commands his team. My only worry with Sagar is that he isn’t the fastest kid although he is still adjusting to his body after a huge growth spurt
    - With Crew I’ve seen these guys play a lot and the best prospects for their 2006’s are Chris Rogers and Brent Adu-Gyanfi. Brent had a good first outing but was noticeably transitioning back to this group after being consistently with the 17’s. Chris sadly has been coming back from injury. Still needed to give them a shout

FC Cincinnati:
    - Darrell Tucrios, 6, 2004: I think this kid is excellent. Cinci 17’s are a possession team and built around Darrell’s game. He has a large passing range and is solid defensively. He could cover ground better and needs to be a bit quicker but his combo of distribution and IQ are there for a HG level 6. I hope I’d the 2004’s have a YNT camp he gets a look
    - Gerardo (Dado) Valenzuela, 10, 2004: Dado is an interesting player because he doesn’t fit a single position kinda like Gio Reyna. But everything he does ends up working and he is very creative in the final third. I’m not too sure of his pro potential but after seeing many Cinci academy games he is always a top 2-3 performer with this group
    - Matthew Schenfeld, RB/W, 2006: @ussoccer97531 summed it up perfectly earlier. This kid is a big time prospect. His skill, anticipation, movement, and crossing are all fantastic. His room for growth into an elite right back is there as well. He’s up there in the top tier of 2006 prospects and is probably overall the best Cinci academy prospect. His only downside is that he is very short but makes up for it with elite acceleration. It is good to see a high level player come from Kentucky which historically has not been a big soccer state. I’ve seen this kid play as a right back, winger, center back, and striker and execute everything in each position to perfection. He is part of a huge 2006 high ceiling group
    - Connor Stout, LB, 2006: while not quite Schenfeld, Cinci does have another homegrown bound fullback in Connor Stout. Connor is more of a leader and can be more consistent than Schenfeld as well. He’s fairly quick, is excellent driving forward on the ball, delivers great crosses and long passes, and is lock down 1v1. His room for growth is not quite at the level of Schenfeld but he could become a player on par with the likes of Andrew Gutman and Chase Gasper.

NYCFC
    - Cooper Flax, 6, 2004: like Caleb Wiley, Cooper has no business playing at this level. I’ve had numerous people reach out to me asking about this kid during both games because he’s been standing out that much. Cooper is 100% a YNT capable 6 and should star at Wake Forest if he even gets the chance to go there. He is excellent on the ball and reads the game at a significantly higher level than everyone else out there. I always rated Justin Haak but Cooper could very easily end Justin’s days as an NYCFC player
    - Mark Cajamarca, 6, 2006: Mark has been a long time hyped player in the 2006 age group and its obvious why, the kid is ********ing good. He sprays the ball all over the pitch, he wins 50/50’s well for a tiny player, and his soccer IQ is off the charts. How far he goes in the sport will be determined by how well can he handle the physicality of the next level. He’ll no doubt star in MLS and has the potential to go further. An issue is that he does need to increase his defensive work rate in the defensive third but at higher levels he has shown to do this. I consider him a YNT lock
    - Alex Hauschild, CB, 2006: Alex is one of my top CB’s for the 2006 age group. He has the size, he’s solid defensively, he wins headers, and he’s comfortable in possession. Alex like Mark has been full time with the u17’s and it’s obvious why, he’s a quality CB prospect. He is very good with both feet as well. He could be a bit faster but he is homegrown bound in my opinion
    - although he didn’t play I do want to shout out 2007 LB/LCB Christian McFarlane. Christian is a bigger prospect than all previously mentioned guys and has a UK passport. Christian apparently has gotten reps at the u17 level as a u14 and has elite potential both as a LCB and LB. one to watch

Inter Miami
    - Logan Baptiste, RB, 2004: Logan is a beast. He flys up and down the right side of the field and dominates his space. He could be better on the ball but he’s a solid right back. With Miami being penalized and losing lots of cap space he’s a potential HG option
    - Tyler Hall, CB, 2006: Tyler is one of the best overall defenders in the 2006 age groups. He is rock solid and a big physical presence in the back. He would be too unfair playing at the u15 level so it’s good they kept him up. His only downside is that he’s just okay playing out of the back but he’s a sure fire YNT lock. It’s hard imagining him not be a homegrown in the future
    - Myles Perkovic, W, 2006: I don’t understand why Myles is played at the u15 level. He is completely dominant and terrorizes every fullback in every game I watch. He is fast, strong, and has a good frame so he’s very hard to dispossess. He flys at defenders and constantly is creating from the right wing. I’ve rated him for quite some time and every time I watch him my opinion just solidified even more
    - Tyler Bush, LB, 2007: Tyler is a very clean and technical fullback. He is very mistake free and does well to impact the game defensively and offensively. He has decent speed but his positioning is very good for a player his age. He had a very good first game but yesterday he was very unfortunate to be matched up against Matthew Schenfeld. I like his potential

LA Galaxy
    - Morris Spaltenstein, 6/8, 2006: I have had numerous people point out Morris to me saying this kid is the real deal and he was very good. He is very short and skinny but flies around the field and creates. He is good with both feet and his IQ is extremely high. He reportedly has has spent some time overseas which is believable as his game mentally is superior compared to others at this level. Among midfielders in the LA area he’s probably the top one for the 2006’s
    - Paulo Rudisil, 8/10, 2006: the only other Galaxy player that semi impressed me was Paulo. He’s a good and smart attacker with good playmaking abilities. He’s very dangerous on the free kick as well, he buried a free kick against Galaxy and served delicious crossed from set pieces against Philly. This is another player with relative hype for the Galaxy academy and due to the lack of quality in older age groups will get moved up the pipeline relatively fast

Orlando City
    - Alejandro Granados Torres, 8, 2006: Alejandro is one of two good talents I like in the Orlando City academy, the other being Thomas Williams. Alejandro has a great left foot that can spread the ball all around the field. He does well in duals due to his size but is a little stiff in his movement after a recent growth spurt. His IQ and composure are excellent for a player his age and it’s why he’s been getting moved up to the u17’s this season. He also has a Spanish passport so he could be an early yank abroad

Philadelphia Union
    At this point we all know the guys in this academy. They get talked so much that Philly has their own thread. Their u17’s have not played on stream yet but do tomorrow
    - Alex Perez, LB/CB/6, 2006: Alex was my MOTM against Galaxy by a wide margin. In every game this season he’s been one of if not the best player on the field for this Philly side. He has gotten time with the 17s and is a serious prospect. He has good size, moves around the pitch well, is very hard to dispossess, and is excellent defensively. He needs to be played against older competition for a proper challenge. Being from Vegas Philly has taken a chance moving him this far and it’s working out for them. He is a YNT prospect
    - Henry Bernstein, 8, 2007: Henry is one of my favorite 2007 prospects. He isn’t the most athletic kid having extremely average side and speed, but his IQ, composure, and security on the ball are amazing. There is a reason he’s the only 2007 that full time plays with Philly’s 06’s and more often than not is one of the 2-3 best players on the field. His game will translate very well to moving up other levels, I’m excited about his pro potential

There would be others highlighted here if they were in other academies, but with Philly the standard has to be raised

Both FC Dallas and Charlotte have not been streamed but have been streamed enough over the season to know who their prospects are

7. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far goals of the showcase:
    Alejandro Granados Torres free kick

Bryce Jamison absolute piss missile, five minutes before this Bryce scored another fantastic goal

derrick mize repped this.
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I know there was some discussion that LAFC might run over LAG with their academy very quickly due to LAG’s recruitment strategies and how bad they’ve historically been at using their academy players in the first team, but I’m not seeing it in the players these academies are producing. That’s not to say LAFC is doing a bad job, but I don’t see LAG as doing a notably worse job right now.

9. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect to see more out of both academies given that they’re in the biggest soccer hot bed in the country but LAFC do look to be doing better than Galaxy. My pro watch list from their 04’s and younger:

Galaxy:
    Victor Valdez, CAM, 2004
    Walter Portales, W, 2004
    Alex Alcala, CM, 2005
    Paulo Rudisil, CAM, 2006
    Morris Spaltenstein, CM, 2006

LAFC:
    Antonio Leone, CB, 2004 (signed)
    Erik Dueñas, RB, 2004 (signed)
    Christian Torres, ST/W, 2004 (signed)
    Chris Jaime, CM, 2004
    Diego Rosales, CB, 2005
    Robert Willcott, ST/W, 2005
    Steven Ramirez, ST, 2005
    Javen Romero, CB/LB, 2006
    Adrian Wilbowo, W, 2006
    James Arteaga, CM/DM, 2007
    Matias Wanchope, W, 2007
    Xavier Brown, LB, 2007
    Kristian Villalobos, CB, 2007
    DeCarlo Gruerra, DM, 2008
    Ademar Chavez, CAM/W, 2009

Given all the area talent both probably could be producing a little bit better but LAFC is currently doing a better job than Galaxy without even having a USL team that’s local

derrick mize repped this.
  10. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Morris was born in Switzerland and still has a Swiss passport, although to be fair some credit should be given to a few great coaches he played under for an outstanding Santa Monica United team over 2-3 years before he left for the Galaxy. He’s always been one of the smallest kids on the field (his dad said he himself had a late growth spurt), but it’s probably a blessing because he’s had to develop his soccer mind, foot skills, and escapability from an early age.

dougtee repped this.
  11. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As he transitions up to the u17 level and higher the athleticism will be a more important factor but his technical and tactical components are excellent

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I would suggest you are missing numerous players from LAG, and maybe including a few too many from LAFC. LAG is also leading LAFC in both the U-15 and U-17 divisions.

13. SoccerNYFan

SoccerNYFan Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 31, 2021
    Does anyone know NYCFC U15/U17 final scores from the tournament?

14. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    The Galaxy Academy has been aggressive in its use of bio banding to play U16 players in U15 this year when the 06’s are facing a stronger opponent. Morris would be an ideal candidate for that next year if he is still pretty undersized, but we’ll see.

15. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    are you able to talk a little more about bio banding? are other academies doing that? seems like a developmental holy grail and i wasnt aware that it was so prevalent (is it prevalent?)

16. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, there’s players who are bio banded in most academies. In particular it happens often for u16’s (this year 2005’s) who aren’t ready physically for the u17 level where the level and pace increases quite a bit from the u15’s

Benny Dargle repped this.
  17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I've seen it with some teams, and I have to say that I don't like it from a perspective of assessing the level of player these kids are. Just like we can say that it's an advantage to be bigger and more physical than your competition, it's an advantage to be older than your competition.

I'm not suggesting that it's the wrong thing for the development of all of these players, but my read is usually that if I see a player whose playing down an age group, I don't see much reason to track their play in that game. I think if a player cannot contribute to a caliber where the club would want them in their regular age group (against what amounts to very low level competition), they probably aren't a real pro prospect. It's already hard to narrow down who are the realistic pro prospects, and whose only a prospect if they reach their absolute ceiling. Something like that gives me a good clue.

18. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really depends. A kid like Richie Ledezma and Brenden Aaronson both were very behind the curve for their growth but still panned out as pro’s. But in most cases bio banded players are probably not on a professional pathway

19. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Feels like it is more valuable at younger ages, where it allows for smaller kids not to get lost and discouraged and forces larger and more mature kids to develop skills. There's a ton of kids who hit puberty late that could conceivably be lost unless they are absolutely fantastic with the ball. And there's nothing wrong with forcing the more developed kids to not rely on size and speed too much.

If you are a top talent at 15/16 in a pro academy, you should probably be playing up based on a more detailed examination of how you are performing and what you need to develop.

eneste repped this.
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I watched all the games from the playoff event. I will try to not forget any players, but I suspect I will mention about 75 players, so there's a chance I will forget one or two. I also watched a few extra games of Orlando/Miami/Atlanta during the season, so this includes those viewings.

NYCFC U-15: I need to mention that I realized I've been calling one of their players by the wrong name.

My apologies to Drew Baiera ('07). Also, I should apologize to Andres Becerra, who I now see where's #47. I'm sure someone noticed this mistake who watches this team, so please correct me if I make a mistake like this.

Back to the games, Baiera had a good tournament. Not much to add that I haven't already said. He's a similar style of player to Matthew Schenfeld (the top player in '06), but his tools are probably a half a grade worse in each area. Where he'll be at Schenfeld's age, I don't know. He is though a top level prospect, and the best '07 prospect right now IMO. Phineas Lonergan ('06) had a pretty good tournament. The scouting report I mentioned the last time is pretty similar to what I'd say after watching a few more games. I would add that he's a little better passing the ball than I initially thought, but I would still not call it a strength.

I liked what I saw from Alex Hauschild ('06) playing next to Lonergan at CB. He's a left-footed CB. Decent size, pretty calm on the ball, reads the game well, pretty good passer. Not a real standout player from a tools-perspective, but I would say he probably does have pro potential. Kelvin Da Costa ('06) played mostly as a DM in this tournament. I like his game best at CB, but he's capable of playing as a DM, CB, or RB. Joah Reyna ('07) does not really stand out that much, but I see some good tools. He has a similar athletic profile to what Gio had at the same age (Gio eventually became more athletic), he combines well, and makes good decisions. Where I would say he's lacking compared to Gio is technique and creativity.

Alexander Yagudayev ('06) in goal is a really good prospect IMO. He's among the best '06 keepers. He has great composure on set pieces. He's able to calmly catch the ball through traffic. The team tries to play out of the back from the keeper (even though the CB's often kick it long, so it makes little sense), and he's tasked with starting a lot of attacks. I don't think he's great technically, but he's better than you'd think. He also has very good reflexes, and good size. He makes the occasional error, like any GK this age, but he's been one of the real standouts of this team.

Lukas Syah ('08) has really stood out. He's a CM, more of a #8. He's playing up a few years, but I thought he looked like one of the better players in this team. He's very under-sized, which isn't surprising, given his age, but his soccer IQ is tremendous. He slows the game down so well, and is able to make decisions so quick. He passes the ball pretty well, and he has good energy, although he's under-sized and not that athletic yet, so he's a slight liability defensively/athletically against players this age. I'm not going to try to project much. We'll see how his game develops, but he's able to do well at the U-15 level already, so he may be a prospect we hear more about in a few years.

NYCFC U-17: Diego Rossi ('05) had a good game. I'm not sure he's super high-upside, but he's not a bad RB prospect. Damon Rouse ('05) was playing LCM. He had better defensive effort than what I've previously seen. I also like his game better at LB. I don't know that he has the tools to be a high level CM. The threshold is lower at LB. At either position being able to show this higher level of defensive effort will help him out because he's quick, combines well, and can dribble a little bit.

Columbus U-15: Owen Presthus ('06) had a very impressive tournament IMO. There weren't many better players. I'm a big fan, as I've mentioned before. Very two-footed playing-making #10. He plays as a winger right now in these Crew teams, but he'll move inside at higher levels IMO. Great passer, excellent on set pieces, more athletic than he looks, very skilled, and a pretty good dribbler. He's one of the better '06 attackers. Sagar Patel ('06) can play as either a CB or DM. I'm not sure about his upside, but he's an above-average athlete and above on the ball. Defensively, he doesn't really excel, and I'm not sure I see great upside, but he has some pro potential. Chris Rogers ('06) is a LB with pretty good passing and dribbling. He's probably a slightly above-average athlete. A little naive defensively, but not too bad.

Columbus U-17: Caleb Borneo ('05) has made some good improvements this year from what I've seen and heard. He's a winger/#10 who drives forward with the ball, direct attacking approach. He has decent quickness and ball control. I don't find him too creative or that great of a passer, but he causes problems for the back line. He's a very active player. I think there are some similarities to Brenden Aaronson before his improvements in the final third. Denilson Velasquez ('04) had a quiet tournament. He splits time at LB (I don't understand the decision-making there), and in the minutes he got he was a lot quieter than what I've seen previously. His left-footed delivery on crosses, and passes is probably better than any player in this age group.

Zion Scarlett ('04) has some pro potential as a winger/striker. He's a slashing type of attacker. Good size, speed, and some dribbling ability. Not the most skilled player or best finisher, but there's a base of skills that gives him a chance for a pro career. Levi Stephens ('04) didn't have the best tournament. He was playing as a RB from what I saw. I don't see that level of versatility. He's a CB-only IMO, and I'm not sure his upside at CB is that high, although I think a pro career isn't unrealistic.

Orlando U-15: Not a very talented team. The best prospect IMO is Majed Abdullah ('06). He's a CF whose pretty athletic, dribbles well, makes good runs. He causes a lot of havoc for defenses. I don't know that his finishing is that great and he's not that tall. He may fall somewhere in that Johan Gomez region where he's a good youth player, but struggles to break in at the pro level. Alejandro Granados Torres ('06) has a great left-foot as a double 8 type of midfielder, but he lacks size/quickness, and doesn't fit that well into either the #10 position (lacks quickness/creativity) or the #8 position (athletically).

Thomas Bowe ('06) is positionally similar to Granados (probably best as a double 8), but I think he has a little more pro potential. He's not as good technically, but he's quicker and more direct with a moderate level of creativity on the ball. Dominic Bell ('06) is a CB with great size and speed. He's not bad defensively either. More of a raw athlete right now than a talented soccer player, but he has potential to be good, given the athletic profile.

Orlando U-17: This team has better pro prospects than the U-15's. I'll start with the known quantity for a lot of people. Thomas Williams ('04) looks to be developing well in this team. He's a raw CB with good size/speed/passing ability. Defensively, he made no errors, and did not struggle with processing the speed of the game, which has been a problem for him. He played really well, and I think a slower development path would be good for him. Keep him in his own age group for the time being.

Alexander Freeman ('04) may be a better pro prospect than Williams. He's a RB with really good offensive skills and athleticism. He's another former attacker converted to fullback. He's a very good dribbler with some creativity, he's big and fast, he combines well with teammates. He's also pretty good defensively for a player who must've only recently converted to RB. If you wanted a comparison, he's a cross between someone like Julian Gaines and Bryan Reynolds having a similar athletic profile to both, but having the offensive profile of Reynolds and the defensive/soccer IQ profile of Gaines. The '04 age group doesn't have many good RB's. He's up there among the better ones.

David Boccuzzo ('04) is a #6 with a pretty standard profile at the position. He shields the back four, he's a slightly above-average passer with slightly above-average size and athleticism. Not a very exciting player, but I think he has pro potential. Favian Loyola ('05) is similar to Bowe from the U-15's. Double 8 type of midfielder with some creativity, but not exactly an 8 and not exactly a 10.

LA Galaxy U-15: I'll start with a player I saw last season playing up an age group. Allan Legaspi ('06) is not a very exciting player. He's a CB who has about average ability in most parts of the game. Doesn't make very many mistakes, but I don't know that he has any great tools that project too great to the pro game. Given that he's good at this level, I could see him having a pro career, but he probably lacks upside. The other CB, Emiliano Garcia ('06), is the better pro prospect IMO. He has good size, he's pretty comfortable on the ball, and good defensively. He likes to carry the ball forward, but he doesn't have the best recovery speed, and his passing could be better.

Morris Spaltenstein ('06) has good ball skills in midfield, but lacks a position (he's another of those double 8 type of midfielders). Paulo Rudisill ('06) is probably the best prospect in this team IMO. He's a similar player to Copeland Berkley from the same age group at NYRB. He's a #8 with good size, pretty good foot skills, and athleticism. He drives forward well with the ball, can pass the ball, and has very good composure on the ball. He's soft defensively, but give his age, it's not a big problem right now.

LA Galaxy U-17: This tournament was the first time I've seen the much hyped Alex Alcala ('05) play. My initial impression is that he's a very good player, but nowhere near what the hype suggests. He's a left-footed playmaking attacker. He can play either centrally or out wide. I would think he's probably a #10 long-term, but he has the quickness, dribbling ability, and low center of gravity to beat his man 1v1 out wide. He's a good passer, he combines well with teammates. I like his soccer IQ, but he's a very individualistic player, and could make simpler decisions. He's certainly very talented. I don't see many weaknesses, but the hype he's gotten for a few years, I expected a much better player.

Demitrious Tanks ('05) is probably the best pro prospect, aside from Alcala. He may be better than Alcala. He's a CB with very good size and athleticism. He's an excellent defensive player. He's better with the ball at his feet than passing it. I don't think he's ever going to be a ball-playing CB though. He's going to be known for his athleticism/defensive ability. Miguel Gonzalez ('05) is a LB/CB tweener. At CB, he's slightly undersized, but pretty mobile and good playing from the back. At LB, he's not the most dynamic offensively. He's not a bad player, but there's probably a lack of upside due to a lack of a clear position.

I don't find Nicholas Dunbar ('04) anywhere near as good as his brother, but he's not without talent. He's the exact same type of player. Think Cameron, but with less talent. Adriel Rocha ('05) didn't play very much and was being used in a weird formation when he was subbed on, so I couldn't get an extended viewing of his game, but he did once again show that he's a very good passer with excellent vision. I've said before that I'd compare him to Jonathan Perez. I haven't seen him play, aside from this game, in the past year to say how he's developing, but I previously would've suggested he's among the most underrated 05's. Victor Valdez ('04) was playing down in this age group. He had a good tournament, and a good player. However, I'm not sure his upside is that high. He makes some nice plays, but I don't know if there's an area of the game where he excels.

Miguel Avalos ('04) is a hard player for me to assess. He's a holding midfielder. He has about average size/athleticism, and ability on the ball. The first game he looked more aggressive offensively, and was driving forward through midfield in a box to box position. I liked his ability on the ball more in that game. I thought he showed pretty good tools. The second game he was shielding the back-line, and played a very conservative game on the ball. I don't know which is closer to his usual level or if it's somewhere in between. I'd consider him a prospect for now, but there was a difference in my assessments between the two games I've seen. Nicolas Perez ('04) is a #8 with some defensive bite, an aggressive offensive approach, and some ability on the ball. He's a little raw, and too aggressive on both sides of the ball.

Atlanta United U-15: This is a pretty weak age group for Atlanta United. I don't understand the talent dispersion in this academy. Their age groups either seem to be really good, and among the best there is in the country for any academy or they are pretty bad, and close to as bad as some of the worst academies in MLS. There's very little in-between.

Nash Skoglund ('06) is probably their best prospect. He's a goalkeeper. He splits time with another keeper, so he doesn't play every game. The other keeper actually plays more often. Skoglund is a little unconventional with how he plays the position, but it works. He has very good reflexes, he's pretty good passing the ball out of the back, he has good enough size, and while he makes it look very difficult, he doesn't make very many errors. He could play angles better, be a little more composed, and safer in his approach to the position, but he does have pretty good tools.

Tyrell Moore ('06) is probably their top field player prospect. He's moved around from defense to now CF. I don't see the goal-scoring ability to be a CF, but there are some good tools there between good size, speed, and soccer IQ. He'd probably be best as a RB or CB. Bryce Jamison ('06) is a talented, but raw winger. He has very good size, speed, and technique. He's very inconsistent, and I don't know about his soccer IQ. Juan Hermenegildo ('06) probably doesn't have high upside, but I appreciate his game. He's a RB whose very consistent from game to game. He doesn't have any huge strengths, but I don't see any clear weaknesses. He may not have more than low-level pro upside, but at this level, he's a good player.

Atlanta U-17: The player deployment in this team is the worst of any of the upper-level MLS academy teams IMO. Their '05 age group is very talented (about 8 real prospects), but none of them are regular starters, and only 2 of them are in the regular rotation. What makes it worse is that they have multiple players, in both the '04 and '05 age group, that they give regular game time to on this team that aren't good prospects. I don't know the reasoning for these decisions, but I don't understand much of what's going on with many of these decisions. The good news is that a few of the players I haven't seen any of all season played in this tournament, but the problem still remains.

Amari Salley ('04) had a great game in the first game of this team that I saw. He absolutely dominated. He had a goal, an assist, and a drawn PK. He has no hype, and I've went out on a limb in suggesting he's one of the better 04's. The few prior games I saw weren't very good, so I was questioning my assessment. After this tournament, I think I was initially correct in that he's a huge difference maker. If he has space over the top of a defense, he will cause havoc. He has dynamic speed, and dribbling ability. I also find that he has a good soccer IQ, is a pretty good passer, and makes good decisions in the final third. The second game, he was playing out of position, so there was very little I could take from that game.

Nigel Prince ('04) was great in both games I saw him play. He's way too good for this level. Physically, he needs to be playing against pros. He's too big, strong, and fast for players at this level. However, I think he has a pretty good read of the game defensively, and he has good composure on the ball, although his passing technique is lacking. I don't think he's only an athlete, but he has a huge athletic advantage against players his own age. They don't provide any type of meaningful challenge for him.

Brendan Lambe ('04) played one game as a #6. He played well, and was a main standout. There's not much more he needs to prove at this level. Caleb Wiley ('04) also stood out (he played two games), but he still makes a few errors, even though he's much better than most of these players. I liked that he was playing his typical LB position instead of LW that I had previously seen him play when he was playing down with this age group. He needs to work on his defensive reads. He's a good defender mostly because of his athleticism, but he struggles in the pro game with processing the game, and you even see the occasional error at this level with that.

Jonathan Villal ('05) had a pretty good tournament. He's very good in crowded areas of the field with his quickness, his ability to combine quickly with teammates, his ball control, and his soccer IQ. However, he's one of these players where you wonder what he tangibly brings to a game that will carry him to being a very good player. I have little doubt he'll be a pro player, and probably a good pro player, but I am starting to question if he has the type of calling card needed to be more than an MLS player. Daniel Sebhatu ('05) looks to be developing well. He's making better decisions on the ball, and simplifying his approach with the ball. I saw him play one game at LW, and another at CF. I don't think he's a capable winger. He's a CF. He scored a goal in the game at CF, while he added little as a winger.

Alan Carleton ('05) got two games in this tournament. He didn't get that many touches, so it's hard to take much that I hadn't previously. He's a better athlete than he looks with great composure on the ball and a great soccer IQ. He's a different style player than his brother and lacks the same natural talent, but I think he has some pretty good pro skills. If he develops further athletically, he could be very good. Ty Nero ('05) only got one half, so it's hard to take that much. They haven't given him any minutes in any previous games I had seen of this team this season, so I'm not sure how much I can advance my prior opinion. He's a CB with a good athletic profile.

Luke Brennan ('05) isn't a player who I was too impressed with previously, but I thought he had two good appearances off the bench. He's a winger with good size and athleticism, a direct approach, looks to combine with teammates, and move into space. I don't know if he's the most talented, but he plays a pro-style of game, and could probably be a fullback, if not winger.

Cincinnati U-15: This was one of those teams that was experimenting a lot. I don't have a lot to take from these games, so while I think this team has about 7-8 prospects (most of which played in this tournament), I'm not going to mention all of them because I didn't learn anything about what I saw from most of them.

Paul Chen ('06) was one player who played in his normal position. He's a DM (or a CB). He played all three games as a DM. I thought he played very well. He's not too flashy, but he has good composure on the ball, a good passing range, good size/athleticism for the position, and the necessary defensive ability, although he could play a little more physical. He's pretty close to being a YNT level player. Connor Stout ('06) is a pretty well-rounded LB. These were the first games I've seen him play. I don't see a real weakness. Defensively, I find him pretty good. Offensively, he's not the most exciting player, but he's not incapable offensively. I don't know that he's a great prospect, but LB is a position where the bar is always a little lower, and there probably aren't very many better '06 LB's.

Matthew Schenfeld ('06) was playing as a RW/LW in this tournament, and I thought he was excellent. He's a RB, but it was an interesting wrinkle to watch, even though I doubt it was tactical expertise from the coaching staff that was the reason why he wasn't playing his normal position. I don't know that I'd want him to continue playing as a winger because I think you play your best players at their best positions, and don't try to use them elsewhere because they can play elsewhere, but if you put him at winger, you are shutting down a full side of the field higher up the pitch. At this level, these players simply cannot move the ball quick enough to get around how well he closes down the ball and anticipates the decisions of these players.

Cincinnati U-17: I didn't see any pro prospects that played in these games, although they have a few who didn't play in the games I saw, so thats not to suggest this team doesn't have any pro prospects.

Philadelphia Union U-15: I took really little from what I watched of this team. I'll mention some of the prospects who appeared in this tournament. Henry Bernstein ('07), Jaden Francis ('06), Matt Routzahn ('06), Alex Perez ('06), Gavin Wetzel ('06), Dominic Wilson ('06) all were among the players that played that I learned nothing from their performances. Most of that is due to that I've seen this team enough that you probably won't learn much new about players you've seen a lot of, but some of that is also that some of these players were playing out of position (Francis, Routzahn, Perez).

I'll mention one player though that I learned something from. Unfortunately, Gael Angel Medrano ('06) just doesn't really impress me very much. He was playing down an age group from the normal U-17 age group he plays in. I was hoping he would really dominate, but I didn't see it. It's probably not in his style of play to dominate a game, and he does have some pro skills (size, finishing ability), but he's not a player I find to be too impressive during the course of a game. He doesn't make that many good plays. He either scores a goal or adds almost nothing else.

Philadelphia Union U-17: I learned more from the U-17's than the U-15's, even though I've probably seen the U-17's play more this season than the U-15's. Jackson Gilman ('04) is the captain, and best player on this team. He can play as a CB, DM or CM. I think he's probably a #6, but he was playing as a CB in the game I saw of this team in this tournament. He's very consistent. He almost never makes any errors defensively or with the ball. He has an excellent read of the game defensively, and he's more athletic than he looks. I think he'll probably be their next HG signing.

Samuel Jones ('04) was the other CB. He's a great athlete, good 1v1 defender, good size, but still could use a little work on how he reads the game defensively, and he needs even more work on his ability to play out of the back. He's a player I would not be surprised if he got a HG contract, as he's probably the only other real pro prospect among the 04's in this team, aside from Gilman. Marcelo Mazzola ('05) had two goals, and was very involved. He's always very involved between his runs off the ball, passing, dribbling, dropping deeper to get the ball from his CF position. I don't know that he's the most clinical goal-scorer or the biggest CF, but I would like to see him get a HG contract. I think he's a good pro prospect, and could be developed into a good MLS player (or better) by the Union.

Bajung Darboe ('06) was great. Between his simple direct approach, soccer IQ, athleticism, and foot skills, he's a very productive player, even against older players. He's able to impact games against older players already. As I've mentioned before, he also has a very good impact defensively for an attacker. He's able to win back the ball better than most attackers can, and he's almost always well positioned out of possession. Positionally, I see no problem with playing him as a winger, secondary striker or CF. He'll figure out how to be effective at any of these positions.

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Part 2 (I exceeded the character limit).

Inter Miami U-15: Miles Perkovich ('06) might've improved his stock at this tournament more than any player IMO. He was dominant from the RW position. His athleticism, dribbling ability, creativity, and end-product are all top notch. There can't be many (or any) better natural wingers in this age group than Perkovich. He's also capable of playing through the middle, but I think he's better able to showcase his elite 1v1 ability as a winger.

Wladimir Francis ('06) is a little unfortunate in that the best RW and the best RB at his club are two of the best at their positions in the country, so the two positions he plays he's unable to get starting minutes. He's still pretty good though. Right now, he's more of a RWB than a RW or RB, but I think he's another of these former wingers whose going to be converted to a RB. He has good attacking skills, good athleticism, and defensively he's pretty far ahead of what you'd expect. The main issue for Francis is going to be playing time. I can't see where it's coming, unless he bets on Perkovich and Dejman quickly advancing up age groups, which provides minutes for him.

Milo Parquet ('06) has a tremendous read of the game defensively from the CB position. He's always covering for the errors of teammates, and he rarely makes any of his own errors. He's very consistent defensively. He has decent size for the position and moves well enough. He's not the most aggressive playing out of the back. He's not a flashy player, but he plays a lot of good games, and very few bad games. Tyler Bush ('07) looks to have pretty good athleticism and ball skills from the LB position. I didn't get to see enough of his game to make that much of a determination, but he was a player who impressed for his ability to get forward at LB.

Lucas De Paula ('06) is another of these understated players in an age group with a lot of really flashy players. He's an undersized #8, but he covers so much ground, he's excellent defensively, he's good at carrying the ball forward, and he's not a bad passer either. He's one of the better and more consistent performers in this Inter Miami age group. Eduardo Rojas ('06) is a winger with a good combination of athleticism, creativity, and a direct 1v1 approach.

Santi Morales ('07) looks pretty good from the #10 position. He has a good idea of what he wants to do with the ball, he plays quick, makes good decisions, and shows good passing vision. He's a little small and lacking in athleticism, but playing up an age group, that shouldn't be too unexpected.

Inter Miami U-17: Bryan Destin ('06) is a CF who was playing up with the U-17's. He has good size, speed, and an understanding of the game. He made good runs, and didn't make very many errors. I wasn't sure of his finishing ability. Ari Dejman ('06) reminds me a lot of Sergino Dest. He has a lot of flair from the RB position (can also play LB), he gets forward really well, and has underrated athleticism. Defensively, he's not great, and his very aggressive offensive approach to the game is part of that, but he does just enough defensively to get by. I don't know that he'll ever be great defensively, but I don't find his defense to be a problem.

Tyler Hall ('06) is very fast and he reads the game very well. I believe he's only played CB/RB, but I wouldn't be surprised if he could also play as a CDM. He may lack an ideal position as he's not great on the ball or the tallest, but he's a good defensive player.

Mikhail Keise ('05) has very good size at the CB position, but he's also rather mobile, and I find that he passes the ball well enough. Defensively, he's not bad either. He's probably one of the more underrated players in the '05 age group. Gabriel Velez ('05) is one of the better LB prospects in a weak LB age group. He's good getting forward with dribbling and combining with teammates. Athletically and defensively, he probably is right around average.

I had mentioned that I was including some games from the Inter Miami academy that weren't part of the tournament. Drew Hardin ('04) and Noah Allen ('04) were both playing in this game that I believe was from December. They are both currently on the USL team. Hardin was playing as a CM, and Allen as a LCB. I thought Allen was pretty good, although not as great as you'd expect, while Hardin was very quiet.

Luciano Natoli ('04) is probably the best ball-playing GK in the entire youth system. He's really good at building from the back, and it's interesting to watch. His goalkeeping isn't bad. I wouldn't say he's more than a marginal prospect without his ability on the ball, but that part of the game does matter. He has about average size and he doesn't make many errors. I don't find him overly athletic or the most comfortable coming for balls in the air. I would say he's a real prospect, but a lot of that is tied to his ability to pass the ball.

FC Dallas U-17: I've seen this team play a lot, so there's not much I'm going to add. One player whose play I've been liking more and more is Pranav DuBroff ('05). He's getting close to challenging Jones and Ramirez as the best prospect in this age group IMO. I find him pretty good defensively. He reads the game well, and I think he has good enough size/speed to play either CB or DM. He's an above-average passer of the ball also with pretty good composure.

KUSA77, gogorath, USSoccerNova and 2 others repped this.
  22. SoCalRedDevil

SoCalRedDevil Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 8, 2020
    LAFC v LAG results
    05: 2-1
    06: 1-1
    07: 5-2
    08: 1-2

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  23. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m not totally sure about who is leading MLS Next in goal scoring this season but I imagine that 2007 Aiden Benitez has to be pretty close. He currently has 52 goals in 25 games for Indiana Fire this season which is ridiculous. It will be interesting to see which MLS academy gets him. I don’t even think he’s an actual 9, more a number 10 in my opinion

Agent_Orange, gogorath and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  24. Befuddled

Befuddled Member

Swansea City
    United States
    Mar 27, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would assume that Chicago Fire would have 1st crack as there has to be some affiliation with Indiana and Chicago Fire. Didn't Allan Rodriguez originally come from Indiana Fire?

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  25. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m not too sure entirely how that actually works. I know clubs do affiliates quite often but I don’t believe that Indy is a claimed territory so I don’t know if Chicago has any rights for Aiden.

Allan Rodriguez did move to Chicago Fire but they’re only 1.5-2 hours (depending on traffic) from Elkhart so that was the logical club for Allan. Aiden being an Indy area player is pretty far from Chicago so I wouldn’t be shocked to see other clubs aggressively going after him