2020-21 Academy Season

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Sep 4, 2020.

1. efried

efried Member

Sep 7, 2020
    Yeah Red Bull definitely went for the win a bit they played some bio banded players at u-15 level but even a guy like ofori is still an 05 and both serge ngoma and bento are out with injuries and probably would have played.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The MLS Next website now makes roster info public for all teams. It’s not as good as the old DA website but it’s better than nothing.

Luksarus repped this.
  4. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All 10 of us who watch DA for fun are hype right now

5. manutd02

manutd02 Member

Oct 23, 2002
    where?

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    FC Dallas U-17 vs. Real Colorado U-17: I've already said a lot about this FC Dallas team. I find them very boring, have watched them play a lot of times, and I don't think the prospects in this team are all that great.

Jordan Jones ('05) is the best prospect in this team for me IMO. He has good quality on the ball, is a good enough athlete for a #8, and I like his soccer IQ. He's just not a very assertive player, so I don't see a big ceiling. He's not the next Tanner Tessmann or Weston McKennie. He doesn't have that type of up and down approach to the game. Anthony Ramirez ('05) has good ball skills, I like that he's left-footed, and he's quick enough. What is his position? Does he have a real role in the pro game? I'm not sure he brings anything that tangibly helps a team, but maybe he does.

Pranav DuBroff ('05) is an above-average defensive player, his athleticism/height is about average, as is his ability playing out of the back. I think he could be a starter level player in MLS. I don't see a high ceiling. Carlos Sanchez ('05) might make it at the MLS level as a RB, but do I see a huge difference from Jorge Almaguer (whose game I liked more than Sanchez) years back? No, and Almaguer has never moved past USL. Aaron Salinas ('05) isn't a bad keeper prospect, but there are many better keepers around the country in his age group, and keepers are more unpredictable with their pathway, so I wouldn't bet on it either. Maybe Adrian Anguiano ('05) makes it, but with the ACL injury, and I would've considered him a very borderline pro prospect.

As for the others, I think some of these kids get a lot of hype because its FC Dallas. For instance, Diego Hernandez works hard, has a good soccer IQ, but there's just a lack of creativity and athleticism. There's no real role for a player like that at any higher than a USL level IMO. Nolan Norris is a quality DA LB. Don't see any more than that. He lacks pro qualities. Chris Sanchez is not dynamic enough for a below-average athlete on the wing. Tarik Scott ('05) looked like a player who had a good combo of athleticism and ball skills for a winger/striker, but I haven't seen any refinement in his game the past few years. Nighte Pickering ('05), I don't see it. His movement and goal scoring record isn't bad, but where are the other pro skills?

I've neglected watching for players from the non-MLS/USL academies in the last year because of the lack of roster info. It's become too difficult to keep track of players outside of about 20-25 teams. However, I will try to start keeping track of these players more often now because the MLS NEXT website is giving roster info. I don't trust the system well enough to funnel all the best players to the best 20-25 teams.

On the Real Colorado side of things (this is a good team, they beat Dallas in this game and are leading the division), their best player was Oliver Nii ('04). He's a defensive midfielder. Played as a deep-lying #6. Very good left-foot. Can play passes of all ranges, and does so accurately. Reads the game well defensively. He's a little undersized and I wouldn't say he's the quickest, but he works hard defensively. He will get his body in between the player and the ball, and he will battle with opposition. He's not going to shy away from contact. He might be an 8, but I'm not sure about his offensive contribution in that position. Captained the team.

Mitchell Morris ('04) is a scrappy RB. Has some skill and will work hard defensively. He's error-prone because he tries to play very fast, and create a lot of high event plays on both sides of the ball. Doesn't have the best soccer IQ. Clark Roe ('04) is a defensive-minded CB. Not the biggest and does not even try to play the ball out of the back (he sends it long), but he's hard to beat defensively and he moves pretty well. Might be better suited as a destroyer type of defensive midfielder at higher levels.

Seattle Sounders U-17 vs. Colorado Rapids U-17: James Lear ('05) has a good combination of size and athleticism for a CF, but he's not been developing much. I don't know that he has the soccer IQ, finishing ability, ball skills to match the size and athleticism. Cody Baker ('04) had a weaker game. He really should be dominating this level, but was only about average for the level, but I find it hard to take too much from that.

Colorado was the much more interesting team in this game. Robinson Aguirre Ortega ('04) is a player who has impressed me before, but I didn't know his name. He's a #8 with decent size, but he has really good composure on the ball, and a pretty good passing range. He's left-footed. His quickness and defensive contributions are below average, but I wouldn't consider them too bad.

Joaquin Torres ('04) is a player I was impressed with a few years ago, and then he disappeared into their U-16 team last year, which is almost impossible to get game tape of. He was playing as a #8 two years ago, and was playing as a fullback (started at RB, switched to LB in the second half). I think he could be a pretty good RB or #8. He covers ground well in both directions, and he has above-average ball skills.

DC United U-15: I mentioned this team recently, so I won't mention every player again. Dash Papez ('06) didn't play the last game, so I will mention him here. He can play CB or as a defensive midfielder. Good athlete, good ability on the ball, good defensive player. He's overshadowed by some of their other players, but I find him to be a good pro prospect. Gavin Turner ('07) had a little bit of a weaker game. He struggled with the speed and athleticism of this game playing up an age group against an MLS academy. Not unusual. Matai Akinmboni ('06) had a weak game. I'm not changing my assessment other than to say he's 14/15, and plays a style that takes some time to show consistency. He's raw, and will need some time to develop.

Neil Das ('06) is a CM who has pretty good ball skills, and brought a good, direct attacking approach. I'd need to watch more to make a bigger assessment. He came on at the end, but did add something to the game. Luke Peacock ('06) is one of the better GK's in this age group. He may be DC United's best prospect in the '06 age group. Great reflexes for a bigger keeper. Good command of his box on set pieces. One of the only criticisms I'd have is that when he stops shots he knocks it right back into the field of play. He needs to work on pushing it to the side. Also weak with his feet. Adrian Buri ('06) is a real dynamic player at this level between his speed, soccer IQ, ball skills, movement, and passing ability. He's a playmaking CF. Reminds me a lot of Matthew Roou. I've been very impressed with him. There can't be too many better 06 attackers.

NYRB U-15: This is a very good age group from them. I still have yet to see Bento Estrela play, but I like a lot of their other players. Agnaldo Germano ('06) is a very good CB. He may be their best prospect. I'm surprised I've never heard his name mentioned anywhere before. He's a CB with good size, speed, athletic player. He has good composure on the ball, and reads the game very well defensively. He makes some errors, usually on the ball, like most young CB's, but he has great tools. Ethan Ortiz ('06) is another quality CB. He plays a quieter game, but is a good athlete who reads the game well defensively.

Jeremiah White ('07) plays as a wingback in their 3-back system. I'm having trouble figuring out what his best position is, but I do like what he brings. He brings a lot of energy, good athleticism, he has quality on the ball, and a quality soccer IQ. He's looked good in the few games I've seen playing up a year. Is he a RB? Does he fit best as a wing-back? Is he better as a #8? I don't know yet. He's the son of the former USMNT player of the same name. Andri Frisheri ('06) is coming back from an injury, so he only played briefly, but he's a player I like. His game gets lost among some better prospects, but he has good potential. Henry Weston ('06) didn't look as good as what I had previously seen. I was a little disappointed.

Nathan Worth ('07) has looked tremendously impressive. I would say right now he's the current best of all the 07's I've seen. He's been the best player on the field the two times I've watched him play (two games against MLS U-15 competition). He has a brilliant passing range. Incredibly accurate and incisive. He's able to create breakaways for teammates by playing them in behind the defense with regularity. He's also predictably very good on set pieces (due to his ability to strike the ball). He has good ball-skills, I like his soccer IQ, and he'll work hard defensively. The questions would be his position. I could him as an 8, 6, or 10, but I'm not sure yet which he'll play at higher levels. He's also not the biggest or fastest player, although I wouldn't say he's too small or slow. Does he lack great upside? Maybe.

Copeland Berkley ('06) is a #8 (has some versatility to play as a #6, #10, or RWB/RB) whose more about upside than current ability. He's a big player with good athleticism and really good ball skills. He's not very assertive yet and that may be a symptom of a lack of soccer IQ, or he may be raw. It's too early to tell, but the upside is very clear. Leonard Aviles ('06) didn't really impress me in these games. I've mentioned him previously as a player with some hype that I saw some ability from. I don't know if he has the speed, finishing, or ball skills needed for a player who doesn't have any great abilities.

Patrick Shaw ('06) did impress again. He has excellent movement in behind the back-line. He has good speed, I like his soccer IQ, he plays quick. He has good ball-skills/playmaking. I don't know that its that dynamic, and I question what his best position is (#9? winger? CAM?), so he may lack incredibly high upside, but he's one of these players I don't think I've ever seen not play well, and this is about 5-6 viewings by now. This is a player who really does get lost in the shuffle of the better 06's.

NYRB U-17's: Darsein Gabriel ('05) is a player I like, but I don't see incredibly high upside. Left footed player (can play CM, LB, probably LWB). He has good energy and quickness. Makes good decisions with the ball. Lacks any high-end skills. This was the first extended viewings I saw of Curtis Ofori ('05). I was expecting more. He's a prospect, but I'm not even sure I'd say he's a YNT level player. LB with good athleticism, above-average defensively, but no real offensive ability to speak of (even at the U-17 level). Is he elite defensively or an elite athlete? I don't see it. He likely has pro upside and maybe I need to see more, but I was expecting better.

Jamie Lucas ('04) played RB. He has good ability on the ball. Good crosser. I'm not convinced about his athleticism or defensively ability. Looks more like a double 8 than a RB. I don't think he'd hold up at RB in the pro game. Austin Brummett ('04) scored an incredible goal. Not a player I rate, but because some do, I'll mention that the goal he scored was one of the best goals I've seen all year. John Carlos Cortez ('04) played well at CB. He's good at this level. I just don't see high upside. He's probably a pro player, but lacks in size, and doesn't have any great tools. Kevin Mearse ('04) was invisible. No impact. He's flashy, but not very productive.

NYCFC U-15: I'll start with the biggest name because I myself also wanted to see how good Joah Reyna ('07) was. I would say he's a good player with pro potential, but upon first view, I would not project him as a superstar. He's a CF (or played the position in this game). He showed a good understanding of the game, combined well with his teammates. Held the ball up well. He's a pretty good athlete (similar body type and running as Gio). Is he a prolific goal-scorer? Does he have dynamic playmaking/ball skills? I didn't see it, but thats only one viewing. Alexander Yagudayev ('06) was really good in goal. Made some nice saves. Good size, athleticism, good in the air. Looks like another good keeper for the '06 age group.

Kelvin Da Costa ('06) has no business at this level. He's too athleticism/good at reading the game defensively at the CB position. His passing does need work, which may limit his upside, but he's one of the easier players to project to the pro game at his age. He should be full-time in the U-17's. His CB partner Phineas Lonergan ('06) was also impressive. Really tall, and moves very well for his size. He's incredibly thin though. This kid will need to eventually put on a lot of weight, but he's a kid, so it's not an issue. He's excellent defensively. Might read the game as well as Da Costa, but he might be worse on the ball than Da Costa. Da Costa isn't good technically, but will try to play out of the back. Lonergan kicks it long.

The much hyped Christian McFarlane ('07) wasn't anywhere near as impressive as I expected. I would say he's a real prospect. He's a LB with good size, above-average speed, and some ability on the ball. I didn't find him to be weak defensively either or slow reading the game playing against mostly older players, so he is a good prospect, but I expected great tools. I didn't see it. The player on the other side of the field is a great prospect though.

This player I mentioned in the Fall was, as suspected, Andres Becerra ('07).

I don't see much to add from what I wrote back in the Fall. He's really similar to Matthew Schenfeld projecting as an elite offensive/elite defensive/elite soccer IQ tools-wise RB with probably average athleticism. Schenfeld is flashier, and a little quicker (probably also a little better overall), but I don't think it'd be a big leap to say he is one of the best, if not the best, prospects in the '07 age group. I personally have not seen a better long-term prospect in this age group yet, but I also have not seen anywhere near all the best 07's yet. One other thing to mention is that the old DA website listed his nationality as Ecuador. I wouldn't panic and I'm not saying I have any clue if he's also an American citizen, but this could be another Nyeman citizenship saga.

NYCFC U-17: Diego Rossi ('05) is a RB with good ball skills and composure on the ball, and great crossing ability. I would say he's about average defensively, and a little bit below average athletically. Mark Cajamarca ('06) is a really good player, but he's just so small. I have no idea why he's playing up an age group. He can keep up with these players due to his soccer IQ, passing ability, work-rate, but even at a youth level like this, he really does struggle physically/athletically. I would suggest it'd be an issue against players his own age. It's an even bigger problem against older players. He has great ability, but if he does not get bigger, his potential is a lot lower than initially suspected.

Cooper Flax ('04) played one of the best youth games I've seen in a long time. NYCFC was down a man for most of the game, and Flax was playing as a hybrid CB/DM. He was playing two positions, and it looked like 11 on 11 because of the job Flax was doing in filling two positions. Saying that, he's a very fringe prospect. Deep-lying playmaker with pretty good passing ability, but he's not that big, quick, or good defensively. Tyler Morck ('05) has a higher soccer IQ than any player in his age group IMO. You really don't see something like that for a guy whose not one of the best players in his age group. The problem is that he's a #8 whose small and slow. If he physically grows, he has big potential. His composure on the ball, soccer IQ, passing vision, combination play are all very high level tools.

Balerion, letsdothis, Luksarus and 2 others repped this.
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't want to put out a rankings of the 07's before I see most (or all) of the best players in the age group, and I'm not even close to that yet, but here are some 07's who I would say are roughly top 25 caliber prospects in an average age group. This is also based on very limited viewings for most of these players.

Andres Becerra(RB)-NYCFC
    Jeremiah White (RB/RWB/CM)-NYRB
    Chris Guillen (CB)-Houston Dynamo
    Andrew Craig (CB)-Philadelphia Union
    Nathan Worth (CM/DM/CAM)-NYRB
    Stefan Chirila (CM/DM/CAM)-Philadelphia Union
    Axel Perez(CAM)-Inter Miami
    Gavin Turner (Wing/CAM)-DC United
    Joah Reyna (CF)-NYCFC

9. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To defend Christian McFarland, he was rushed back to playing from a hip flexor injury. He had just started training again maybe 2-3 days before the match. Definitely wasn’t ready but NYCFC are just as high on him as they are Mark Cajamarca

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  10. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #635 David Kerr, May 19, 2021
    Last edited: May 20, 2021
    Other players in my personal 07’s list:

Christian McFarland (LB/CB) - NYCFC
    Henry Bernstein (CM) - Philadelphia Union
    George Okigbo (ST/W) - Atlanta United
    Ayo Akintobi (RB) - Atlanta United
    Braxton Hayes (CM) - DC United
    Ben Manfoy (CB/6) - Cinci
    Aaron Hurge (CAM) - Columbus Crew
    Christian Hodges (GK) - Columbus Crew
    Aidan Benitez (ST/CAM) - Indians Fire
    James Arteaga (CDM) - LAFC
    Owen Anderson (CAM/CM/W) - San Jose
    Matias Wanchope (W) - LAFC
    Brice Miller (CM) - FC Dallas
    Axel Havelamge (ST) - RSL
    Etienne Veillard (W) - Seattle
    Jaime Vega Espinosa (W/ST)- New England Revs
    Osaghie Akigbe (RB) - Houston Dynamo
    Caden Glover (ST) - St Louis FC

Among all the listed players these are some of the guys I consider to be the early core (or must call ups) for the 2007 YNT:
    Axel Perez
    Christian McFarland
    Chris Guillien
    Etienne Veillard
    Nathan Worth
    Henry Bernstein
    Axel Havelange
    James Arteaga
    Aiden Benitez

The 2007’s so far appear to be another 2001/2005 where there’s quite a bit of above average europe capable talent but none that have shown star potential yet. The biggest prospect is easily Axel Perez who also has a euro passport and hopefully chooses a good club in two years. Depending on how big and strong he gets physically he could have star potential. His IQ and skill are at the 05 YNT level currently

Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Added context always helps. That is often why assessing these players is difficult because often times there's a lack of context.

I also didn't mean to criticize the kid too much. I'm sure he's a decent player. Did I see a superstar? No. Was I expecting one? I was. Could my initial assessment be wrong? Yes, and part of that may be that he wasn't match fit.

12. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s gotten time with the u17’s this year which is extremely rare for a u14. If he’s fully healthy and in form he just isn’t fair against kids his age in the DA

13. efried

efried Member

Sep 7, 2020
    You should watch ofori USL appearances. He’s done well vs two solid usl attackers off the bench and against loudon showed some ability get forward. He’s also coming off a bit of an injury. Red Bull seem him as a guy who will spend a few years in usl before moving up but are very high on him. I don’t think right now he is the best in the attack but he has the athleticism to get up and down the line and is very solid defensively.

14. efried

efried Member

Sep 7, 2020
    Also a big fan of Nate worth. Something that will have him progressing through the Red Bull system is his counter pressing ability. Against nycfc he consistently made the right reads to win back possession. As far as physical development his older brother is about 5-11 so I would expect him to be about that height

15. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might as well expand this and highlight my 2008 standouts. Almost all of these players are demonstrating either high technical or tactical proficiency while playing up an age group or two. I think the 2008’s are a very good group so far

Kellan LeBlanc (CAM/W) - Philadelphia Union
    Jordan Griffin (ST) - Philadelphia Union
    Gabriel Wesseh (CAM/W) - Philadelphia Union
    Connor Murphy (CM) - Philadelphia Union
    Nimfasha Berchimas (W) - Charlotte FC
    Lionel Gitau (W) - Houston Dynamo
    Zachary Molomo (W) - FC Dallas
    Marcus Aiynero (ST) - Chicago Fire
    Juan Villa (CM) - Chicago Fire
    Zidane Yanez (ST/CAM/W) - NYRB/NYCFC?
    Maximo Carrizo (CAM) - NYCFC
    Kaelan Douglas (W) - San Jose Earthquakes
    Ben Koch (CM) - FC Cinci
    DeCarlo Gruerra (DM) - LAFC
    Cooper Sanchez (DM) - Atlanta United
    Gil De Souza (DM) - NYRB
    Christopher Cupps (CB) - Chicago Fire

I’m still on the hunt for defenders and goalkeepers in this age group but there’s a lot to like in terms of attacking and midfield talent. All of the players are excelling against older age groups. Now that we have roster access it will be much easier to watch the non MLS academies who finally have info for their teams

16. efried

efried Member

Sep 7, 2020
    Would add jack Mize to that group 08 striker who recently played with the u-15’s for rbny

gogorath repped this.
  17. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Accidental omission. He also broke the single season scoring record for Red Bull’s in the fall. Kid is a walking bucket

gogorath repped this.
  18. soccermom79

soccermom79 Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The Barça 19s have played a variety of USL teams this spring including two games(one 45 minutes the other 90) against Toronto 2 in which they tied the short game 2-2, and won the full game 2-0. Here are some clips of Raines from those couple games.

gogorath and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I saw the first one. The second one I will get to in the next few days. It’s on the list. I’m not saying he’s bad, but I expected more. Maybe I’m wrong. I’m not going off of a big sample.

20. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    https://app.veo.co/clubs/inter-miami-fc/#teams

Inter Miami has a Veo page where uploads the academy games.
    I don't know what happened to Axel Perez this season, apparently he's injured.
    Santiago Morales '07 is well rate by Inter Miami and has been playing for the U-15 team.
    He is easily confused with Perez since they play in the same position and are very similar physically.
    Personally, I think he's a good player.

Agent_Orange and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  21. Labombenera

Labombenera New Member

Feb 4, 2020
    Left Miami long time ago.. before covid I believe.

22. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    Perez is without a team? I thought he was at Inter Miami since he's on the MLS Next roster

23. Labombenera

Labombenera New Member

Feb 4, 2020
    Not sure why he's listed there still, but yes he left the academy last year.

24. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s technically still rostered and can play in matches but has been training with various clubs abroad

25. Labombenera

Labombenera New Member

Feb 4, 2020
    No, he literally left the club much to the dismay of MIA. Hasn't been around a practice or game in over one year. Someone local could probably confirm.