2020-21 Academy Season

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Sep 4, 2020.

1. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once you take an in depth look at the rules it literally is no different than the rules the DA had. Any player from any territory can go play for whatever academy they please but the club still can’t sign an out of territory player to a homegrown deal...just like how it was in the DA. There is no change here.

The big red flag is the rule that if a player wants to leave one MLS Next academy for another they must have the written permission from their current club director which creates an obvious bottleneck for top talents who clubs don’t want to lose. This rule will make it incredibly challenging for an MLS academy player to move to another MLS academy and it will make it damn near impossible to move to a USL academy from an MLS academy.

Arantes repped this.
  2. efried

efried Member

Sep 7, 2020
    Yeah the territory rule is nothing just has to be clarified since it’s MLS. I don’t see directors getting in the way all that often. If you just block a player from leaving it will kill your clubs reputation

Stupid_American repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know where I'd find the rules, but isn't this a little different? MLS is directly signing off on this. USSF made the rules for the DA. If they were really against HG territories, why not just eliminate this part that was allowed in the DA? It's now their league.

4. efried

efried Member

Sep 7, 2020
    They could have stopped in the past though by not allowing mls clubs to poach players. They want players in the best spot for development plus I bet the MLS PA would threaten a suit if they banned free player movement

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    letsdothis repped this.
  6. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #31 David Kerr, Sep 12, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    Standouts from yesterday’s Rapids/Real Colorado u17 game we’re Jackson Travis (2004 LB) and Maclovio Sweat (2004 Winger). Jackson Travis recently moved to the Rapids from Mississippi and was by far the best player out there. He rarely lost the ball, navigated tight spaces very well with excellent dribbling, and made the right passes. Just need to see more from his crossing but if he consistently plays like that he will be a YNT call up.

Philadelphia Union/TSF u15 standouts: Jack Brown (06 8/10) is by far the best one out there. He is very small so he isn’t playing up with the u17’s but it’s only a matter of time, he has been dominant. Literally every time he’s on the ball he’s progressing it and asking questions of the defense. The other standout is Henry Bernstein who had one of the best assists that I’ve ever seen at the u15 level and would make Gregg Berhalter cum in his pants as he hit a 45 yard ball from the deep lying 6 onto the runner’s foot who easily trapped the ball and put it away. It was a beautiful assist.

In the second half of the Union u15 game both Bernstein and Brown have continued to standout. Bernstein picked up his second assist and has completely controlled the midfield as an 8. Jack Brown didn’t improve from the first half but still have been noticeably the Union’s most dangerous player. He plays a lot like Evan Rotundo did as a u15.

Stupid_American repped this.
  7. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn’t realize it but Henry Bernstein is actually playing up as an 07. We got another big time Union talent

8. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Call him up on name alone.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

10. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Can't be for perpetuity. Each year sounds fine. Each year a kid commits to a team for a year, then can move freely depending on situation. Sounds fair.
    Or if they want to pay for him. Make me an offer in season. We need a youth domestic transfer system that is fair and recognizes and rewards excellence.

11. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We just needs a domestic system that allows players to move to clubs as they please and choose the style of play they feel best fits them and then can go sign a professional deal for their team of choice

12. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    That's half of it. The other half is developing teams get some sort of training compensation for doing so.

David Kerr and USSoccerNova repped this.
  13. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately it won’t totally eliminate pay 4 play like a certain cult of people think but it will help those clubs who do end up producing a gem. I dont get why this hasn’t been implemented yet. It incentivizes non MLS clubs to produce better players for MLS clubs

SUDano repped this.
  14. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Good Point. I'm a realist when it comes to soccer in this country. I would love for corporate america and the soccer powers fund every last youth soccer team in this country but know that's not likely. The pandemic ruined that for now. But now we have a money producing entity running and funding most of MLS next. We need money flowing into soccer and pay for play is at least money for the lower foundations and work hard and get good at soccer it becomes free for the player and the team should get something too. As you put it incentive.

USSoccerNova and letsdothis repped this.
  15. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingo. Unfortunately my chances of winning the lottery and using the money to create more free to play clubs are very low. I’d do anything to get more free to play clubs who can afford to pay coaches and consistently produce quality players

16. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    A simple transitional solution is this:

Any money generated from TC or Solidarity must be given 1:1 in scholarships, etc. to players.

It would be hard to police, of course, but if no work is done, what would absolutely happen in this country if we starting giving TC and Solidarity down to amateur youth clubs, the money is going to go into things like cars and house additions for the people running the club while they continue to collect money for training.

Eventually you transition over to teams having to choose between the revenue streams, potentially, but early on, there needs to be a bridge to change behavior.

Even if the people running the clubs have all the best intentions, it's hard to invest the money in the club in operating expenses because it's not a certain cash flow. So without some requirement, at best it will be used on equipment, etc.

David Kerr repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    With all due respect to Joey (who might still read this website), it's clear he doesn't watch the academy leagues to any large extent, if he ever did. He's done some excellent work in breaking news for an undercovered part of the sport, but I can't lie and say I thought what I read was anywhere near accurate. There were also large parts of what I read there that I didn't know anything about, so there might even be more incorrect about it than I know of myself.

He has some really basic things wrong like certain positions that players play, and he's calling guys star players on the basis of their goalscoring numbers. He's making depth charts that have back up non-prospects ahead of star players in certain academies. I don't know who he's talking to at these clubs or if he's looking too much into the DA website. I also don't think anyone could accurately give a good summary of every age group for many different academies, so it's not a criticism that what he wrote there has a string of inaccuracies.

I'd almost have preferred he didn't attempt that. It's already a very undercovered part of the sport. What we don't need is misinformation to be one of the main sources of information that people are believing.

letsdothis repped this.
  19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I suspect he's talking about his son.

20. efried

efried Member

Sep 7, 2020
    The rumor among parents is he is off to Sweden with his family but I haven’t confirmed yet.
    he can’t go until he is 18 but wouldn’t be surprised if it’s explored unless Red Bull step up

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  21. letsdothis

letsdothis Member

Crew
    United States
    Jan 7, 2020
    Alec is a solid LB. Has speed and not afraid to take the ball deep and create chances.

22. letsdothis

letsdothis Member

Crew
    United States
    Jan 7, 2020
    Alec is a solid LB. Has
    speed and not afraid to take the ball deep and create chances.

23. letsdothis

letsdothis Member

Crew
    United States
    Jan 7, 2020
  24. letsdothis

letsdothis Member

Crew
    United States
    Jan 7, 2020
  25. letsdothis

letsdothis Member

Crew
    United States
    Jan 7, 2020
    I couldn’t agree more. It’s unfortunate that the online youth soccer news sites all don’t do enough good analysis and research and rely solely on goals scored. Due to this shortsightedness, players that do deserve the attention often get overloooked. That is why I appreciate posters such as yourself and others, who provide deeper analysis and insight into the upcoming talent. More of this content needs to to bubble up to those more popular sites.