2020-21 Academy Season

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Sep 4, 2020.

1. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not really against 3+2 deals. No team is going to offer a 2 year contract to a kid worth 100k a year when the kid is just going to leave after two years.

And Gomez, Carrera, and Mendez are all very different situations. Gomez didn't go to Dallas because Dallas has not shown that they're good at moving players on to new teams yet. Carrera has never been viewed as a great prospect and moved to a 2. Bundesliga team. Mendez moved to Freiburg for 10k a year because no one wants to sign with the Galaxy, and because Kleiban is his agent.

And Seattle has shown that they'll play Leyva. He played an absolute ton as a 16 year old last year, and only didn't play this year because he's been hurt. Why would a team like Seattle, who is trying to win a trophy, rush back a 17 year old with a foot injury if he doesn't help them win now and they're protecting a longterm asset?

derek750, clsafe and gogorath repped this.
  2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    One can also point out if they'd like that Gomez, Carrera, and Mendez moved to Europe and have a combined zero first team appearances. First team progression for young players is difficult in Europe too. Some players stall at Euro youth and reserve teams for years and years on end. Mukwelle Akale. And people say "yeah, but the development environment at Villarreal is so much better than in MLS!!" Yeah right. His development pathway was so awesome there that he now plays for a mid-table team in Cyprus. Or doesn't play as the case may be. I think he's played about 80 minutes this season.

STR1, Stupid_American and clsafe repped this.
  3. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    That would be a fantastic change, but I get how expensive it is to develop players. Rookie contracts in every sport are key to owners making profits.

At least Seattle just traded a homegrown player. That’s been a rare occurrence within MLS.

4. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will happen more frequently. Right now, only about 20% of HG signings who are still in MLS are older than 23. Clubs are still waiting to see what their guys will turn into.

You can see it with expansion teams looking to pick up guys who are role players and MLS lifers: Miami acquired Agudelo, Ulloa, Trapp, Chapman, and Norman — and also traded for the rights to Callender. Nashville signed Jones, Muyl, and now Bwana.

5. Billy Eindhoven

Billy Eindhoven New Member

Lazio
    United States
    Jul 12, 2020
    What do you think will happen to Chifamba after this year? It looks like Europe is becoming more likely, and since you seem well-informed about the Crew academy how highly do you rate his technique, especially in the final third, as opposed to the other 6 and 8 prospects

6. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is not very good in the final third. I think Elton has regressed in the last year. His future at Columbus is pretty bleak because I don’t think he has the talent to beat out Aidan Morris and Sebastian Berhalter. Other coaches and scouts have agreed with me on this.

As a 6 Elton does not have the killer mentality or physical ability to be a defensive presence and he struggles to make passes over 25 yards. As an 8 he is very ineffective in the final third. Elton does one thing very well: using his body to throw off the attacker when he receives the ball. Outside of that his game is not where it should be

unless Elton works on consistency throughout 90 minutes he doesn’t have a future in Europe and will have to hope that MLS lets him move somewhere else. He is at an age that he should’ve shown improvements by now from when he was 15/16 but he hasn’t and unlike a Gianluca Busio, he doesn’t have other positions he can switch to

7. letsdothis

letsdothis Member

Crew
    United States
    Jan 7, 2020
    What are your thoughts on Alex Kenison and Anthony Hernandez? Also, any upcoming prospects on the Crew 17s?

8. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No good Crew u17’s. Kenison and Hernandez are both players who should be college bound

letsdothis repped this.
  9. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    It appears that Bwana asked to be traded because he wasn’t going to play in front of Jordan Morris.

https://www.sounderatheart.com/2020...quire-jimmy-medranda-in-handwalla-bwana-trade

But of course that just makes you wonder if their other homegrown players might start doubting their decision to sign. You see guys like Caden Clark and Aaronson going to Europe and you got to be thinking “would any team be interested in me if I’m not getting first team minutes”?

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I've been trying to watch some games at the U-15 and U-17 level. It's not as easy with the lack of roster info for this season's league, so I can't be as precise as I'd like.

Here's what I have a high enough degree of precision to post here.

DC United U-15: Matai Akinmboi ('06) is a CB with very good size and athleticism. He defends pretty well, passes the ball well, and reads the game well from a defensive perspective. I'd be a little skeptical, given his size, but even as players catch up physically, he still should be pretty good. Dash Papez ('06), the other CB, was another player I thought was impressive. Pretty similar to Akinmboni, but maybe not as tall and athletic. Does a lot well.

Alessandro Maldonado ('06) is a #10 with obvious quality on the ball. I've never seen pretty involvement in the build up. He pops up with a great pass or creative play, but doesn't stand out for the course of a game. Undersized and not the most athletic. Diego Vazquez ('06) is a RB with very good offensive skills. Skill, combines very well, has a lot of composure with the ball, high soccer IQ. Athletically, he's about average, and defensively a little below that, but not terrible.

DC United U-17's: Troy Matingou ('04) is the standout. Big central defender, very athletic, good 1v1, reads the game very well defensively. Not all too good with the ball at his feet. Comparable to a central defender like Trusty or Miazga. Mathias Yohannes ('04) has a well-rounded skillset in central midfield. Good athlete, not bad on the ball, can make some defensive plays, but I find that his contribution is not as good as the skillset right now. He's a very fringe level prospect as of now, but he does have potential.

Arvid Lindquist ('05) has similarities to Diego Vazquez from the U-15's. Good going forward, can pass, has some skill, good soccer IQ. I'm unsure about his athleticism. I'd say its probably a little below average. I don't notice any problems defensively right now, but its hard to be a high level fullback without average or better athleticism. Isaac Espinal ('05) is a winger with some ball skills and quickness. Nothing too great. I've heard very good things about Jackson Hopkins ('04), who joined DC United from NYRB this week, but have yet to see him play.

Philadelphia Union U-15: Andrew Rick ('06) is a very well rounded keeper. No huge strengths, no real weaknesses. Comparable to someone like an Eliot Jones from the '03 age group. Early on, I'd say he's one of the top keepers in the age group. Alex Perez ('06) is a very talented CB. Similar player to someone like Julian Araujo, but not as good. He's very athletic without being the tallest, although his height is not an issue. Really hard-nosed player. Likes to play out from the back, and carry out from the back. Reads the game well. One of the top CB's in the '06 age group IMO. Gavin Wetzel ('06) is the over CB, and is overshadowed by Perez, but he's also a good player. A lot less flashy. No huge strengths, no real weaknesses type of CB. Really good read of the game defensively.

Jaden Francis ('06) has very high potential as a #6. He's an elite athlete with size, athleticism, speed, and really good composure on the ball. He's a good passer, as well. He's a human eraser type of #6. He makes so many defensive plays due to his athleticism and also a very good ability to position himself and read plays. Reminiscent of a Fabinho type of player. He does make errors at this point, so his potential may not match his current performance, but I don't see any big theme with these errors or something that can't be cleaned up. These are U-15 football errors. Jack Brown ('06) is a #10 type with good passing vision, combination play, and soccer IQ.

Henry Bernstein ('07) is a quality player. Something between an 8 and 10. Has a complete midfield game for a #8, but does have the offensive quality to play as a #10. His best position might be as a tweener, so I'm not sure yet which is his position, but he's playing up an age group and is very highly rated. I don't think it's an issue at this point. He has obvious quality. Dominic Wilson ('06) is a #9 with great speed. He does an excellent job of getting in behind the backline. He can dribble a little, as well, and isn't a bad goal scorer.

Matt Routzahn ('06) is a #9 with a very well rounded game. He has size, athleticism, very good playmaking ability for a CF, good finishing, an excellent target game, and a high soccer IQ. He's a little reminiscent of Josh Sargent, but he might be a little more of a playmaker than Sargent.

Philadelphia Union U-17: Owen Moore ('04) is a reliable keeper, but not the most talented. He doesn't have any major weaknesses, but he does lack size and great reflexes. Sam Fenton ('04) is a CB with athleticism and ability to play out of the back. He only has around average height and his defensive play is around average, as well, but I think he's improved defensively in the last few years. Sam Jones ('04) is the other CB in the team. He's very good defensively. Incredible athlete with a very good defensive read, great 1v1, very strong and good in the air. He's improved with his ability to play some longer passes in the last year, but he struggles when being pressed because his technique on the ball is mediocre. He coughs up the ball too easily at times.

Jackson Gilman ('04) is a player I think I mentioned last year would look a lot better when he's not among the younger players on the team in a team of stars. He looks like the best player in this team this year. He's a #6 whose game reminds me of Justin Haak. Very throwback type of #6. Can pass the ball, good tackler, reads the game well defensively, and has adequate size. He's not terribly athletic and he's not flashy, but he's a very good player. He could probably also play as a #8 or a CB, but I think he's a #6. Caden Grabfelder ('05) has a really good range to his game in getting box to box. He contributes well in the transition game on both sides of the ball because he's a good athlete. He has some flair, but he's a little erratic with his passing, and can be rash with challenges.

Dylan Lacy ('05) always seems to play well when I see him play. He's somewhere between an 8 and a 10, and his play is not all too different from what Paxten Aaronson's looked like a year or two ago before he showed some improvement. He might be the caliber of player thats better off moving to another academy where he can play a bigger role. Ian Abbey ('04) is an under the radar player that would get more publicity in a worse academy. He almost exclusively comes off the bench, but he's a winger who makes plays. Very direct approach, good dribbler, good ball skills, quick. I don't know if he has much end product yet, but he makes an impact.

Nelson Pierre ('05) is such a tough player to evaluate. I've watched this guy play for a few years, and the evaluation of his game hasn't really changed. He's a great athlete (elite size and speed), but he's used almost exclusively as a winger. I think he's a #9. He can dribble a little, but isn't that talented. He's similar to a player like Khiry Shelton. Maybe if he completely maximizes his ceiling, he could reach the level of Haji Wright, but I don't see the same level of goal scoring and soccer skills as Wright. There are tools there in Pierre's game, but he still remains raw, and there's not been much improvement.

Gael Angel Medrano ('06) continues to play up age groups, and he's very highly rated by the Union. I'm not sure I completely agree with them. What I'd say is that he's a good finisher, he's good on free kicks, he has good size for a #9, and he's a player with an adequate soccer IQ. He can combine with teammates, he's able to keep up with the pace of the game playing up age groups. He doesn't add a whole lot currently though. I've seen him mostly used as a #10, and it doesn't go well. He's probably best used now as a secondary striker thats not asked to play much of a role in the offense other than popping up to score goals or take a set piece, but it's not a high potential skillset in that role. If he can develop more of a target game and continues to grow, he could be an old fashioned #9.

Marcelo Mazzola ('05) is a striker that does a lot well, and constantly is bothering the back line. Between his movement, his playmaking, his combination play, and the ability to score goals, he's always popping up somewhere, and causing defenders to vacate their positions. It doesn't appear that he's not grown much in recent years, so he's not the tallest striker, but I do think he does a pretty good job of holding the ball up, battling with CF's.

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I forgot two players from that Union U-17 team that recently joined.

Bajung Darboe (‘06) looks excellent. Complete difference maker, and he’s doing this playing up an age group. He’s a winger with dynamic speed, a very high soccer IQ, and the ability to score goals at a high rate. He’s also one of the few wingers you’ll see that is notably very good defensively. He’s skilled, but he’s not a 1v1 artist, more of a goal scorer than a creative playmaker from the wing. He’s one of the top players in the ‘06 age group that I’ve seen. Diego Lopez (‘05) is a pretty average defensive midfielder, in my opinion. He can do some of everything, but not much stands out. No real weaknesses, no great strength.

USSoccerNova, Jack0503, dougtee and 2 others repped this.
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    What do we need to do to get the RGV on track? Such an untapped market................

13. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston seemingly starting to figure it out will be good for them, and I wouldn't be surprised if they relinquish a lot of control when the U23 league starts.

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'll have a detailed report of a few different teams I've been watching the last few days, but Owen Presthus ('06) is a mega talent IMO. I'm not sure if he's the best player in the '06 age group yet (he might be), but I've yet to see anyone in the '06 age group play that I think has the same level of potential as him. He has some things he needs to improve on, but his natural attacking ability is absolutely stupid.

USSoccerNova, Luksarus and gogorath repped this.
  15. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Nice. What attacking role does he play?

16. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #241 David Kerr, Oct 28, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    I've seen Owen play three times this fall and disagree. Owen is barely even a top three talent in the Crew u15 team because Sagar Patel and Chris Rogers are better players than him. Also if Owen is this big of a talent, then he would be playing up at the u17 level who desperately need him because the Columbus u17's have a horrible attack. Columbus does not hesitate to play kids up when ready, we know this because of Sam Sarver, Elton Chifamba, and Noah Hall. The only Crew 06 that I think could play up at the u17 level is Sagar Patel. Sagar is a player who is dominant at the u15 level, he even went down in a game and other parents were freaking out because they knew that they would have no chance of winning games without him. The Crew u15's could win games without Owen.

Owen does a good job dribbling past players but if he wants to be a YNT player he needs to be dominant at the u15 level because the other attackers in his age group are dominant at the u17 level. There is only one team that actually has competent defenders in the Midwest u15 division (I've watched every single team in person) outside of Columbus and that is FC Cinci. They played a week ago and Owen went up against Connor Stout who is a YNT left back prospect who is a top 3 player in that position for the 06's. Connor completely shut Owen down and made it look effortless. The only time Owen could make any plays were when he attacked the other side of the backline. Columbus tied Cinci 2-2 that game, both of the Columbus goals were from corner kicks. Not a single goal or chance was created from open play by Owen.

Owen is not a YNT level winger currently. I think TJ Presthus is the better prospect of the two brothers. Owen doesn't have the speed for his style of play to work at the YNT level as a winger. He may be better suited as a 9 long term because he should have the physical profile if he grows to be the size that TJ is.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Probably a #10 long-term. Also plays as winger right now.

18. letsdothis

letsdothis Member

Crew
    United States
    Jan 7, 2020
    I'm surprised that with all the games watched on the 17s, that you couldn't identify even one prospect on that team. I agree that the team does lack an attack but are there not any players who consistently create opportunities, who attempt to make the correct plays that reflect their acute decision making, etc. I am grasping for straws and taking advantage of the discussion here since we rarely discuss the Crew and appreciate the conversation and opinions. Regarding playing up, you are correct. Crew does not hesitate to play the kids up if they need that challenge.

19. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #244 David Kerr, Oct 28, 2020
    Levi Stephens is the best player on the Crew u17’s but is college bound (Akron). Ramsey Ray is another solid player but with his current injuries he hasn’t played a single game this fall. The Crew u17’s big prospect was Isaiah Chisholm but he moved to DC United. The rest of that u17 team just isn’t pro material. A lot of players who will be D1 bound but none good enough for a HG contract

There are rumors that Million Evans is joining the Crew academy and that would immediately give the Crew u17’s a pro prospect as Million is one of the top right backs in the 05 age group

For a young player who has pro potential they need to be judged on a curve of can they play up 2 years and still excel. So for the Crew u17’s this would be could any players step up to the u19 level. Levi is the only one who realistically could.

For the Crew 06’s, I expect to see Sagar Patel move up to the u17 level because the u15 level does not provide an adequate challenge for him. Sagar is the most composed center back in potentially the 06 YNT pool and if he can add some speed he’d be a starter at the YNT level. Owen could make the move up to the u17 level if he adds some speed to his game. Right now Owen’s style of play is similar to Pulisic’s of try to dribble past the player every time or find the simple pass but I don’t think Owen has the pace to succeed with that style of play. Chris Rogers could 100% move up a level, that kid can soccer and is a solid left back

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You could be right. I don't think any of us can say for sure at this point. I saw what you had to say recently about the '06 age group, and tried to take it into account. I've not concentrated much on the academy leagues because I've been watching a lot of USL, but I shifted recently to the academy leagues. It's too early for any of us to be too sure about any of this, but I'm not discounting that anyone is right or wrong. These are all educated predictions.

The skills he showed are skills that translate to pro soccer IMO. The passing vision, the foot skills, thinking a step ahead, the extreme technique, thats all going to work against pro defenders. I also think we should assess him more as a #10. He plays a few different positions, but looks like a long-term #10. He has things to work on, like all 14 year olds, but I think the skillset is what is the most important in assessing the player.

TJ isn't much of a pro prospect IMO, but I do believe that because TJ is a CB (6'0+) and his father was a GK(6'4), that Owen's going to get taller, and probably add some extra athleticism. He's only 14, so it's not unusual that he's a little smaller right now. Some people hit early growth and some hit it later.

21. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #246 David Kerr, Oct 28, 2020
    I want to see Owen play as a 9. He doesn’t have the creativity for a 10. I think as a 9 he could be really good and at Sam Sarver’s level. But I see Owen at the very least going to college for a year or two

I think the players in the Crew system good enough to sign out of the academy are Noah Hall, Elton Chifamba, and Sagar Patel.

Elton I’m nervous about because I (and other people I have talked to) don’t view him as a better prospect than Aidan Morris and Sebastian Berhalter anymore so the Crew don’t have any incentive to sign him. Sam Sarver has pro potential but needs time to work on his soccer IQ and skill on the ball because they are both really lacking. Chris Rogers is one to watch as a LB. I think Chris barely misses the YNT for the 06’s because they are very deep with Javen Romero, Henry Canizalez, and Connor Stout.

Christian Hodges was one I really wanted to see play this season because as an 07 he was getting looks with the 05’s as a GK last season but hasn’t been in a team sheet this season. I don’t know why because he’s apparently still with the Crew

22. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little bit on Sagar who I really rate. If this kid had more pace he’d be the perfect CB prospect. Three weeks ago Crew played Cleveland Internationals and went down 0-3 in the first 5-10 minutes because the RCB and 6 struggled to build out of the back and literally gave them three easy goals. Sagar then was moved to the 6 and Crew ended up winning the game 5-3 and dominated the possession. As a 6 I didn’t count him losing possession one time the entire game. This kid can soccer

23. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    #248 bpet15, Oct 28, 2020
    This discussion is why its still difficult to properly evaluate players in the US at times. There is such a huge gap in talent, even amongst MLS Academies, and that gap can fool the eyes at times.

I personally can't make a true, final evaluation on a player unless I feel the overall talent level of the match is extremely high. For example, a player that stands out in a match between Columbus current U15 team and a random club in that division, really doesn't mean anything other than possibly "continue to monitor."

I was able to see the 2006 Columbus group play in Houston last fall as I was at Copa Rayados scouting some players. I saw them play FCD 2006 group and they were run off the field 8-0 in a 40 minute match. Mind you, this was a Columbus team that beat Austin FC and Inter Miami in the same tournament. The level of talent is so wide, it made it difficult to properly evaluate anyone. I will tell you there was not one Crew player (that day) that would even sniff a starting XI spot for FCD in that age group. Yes, things can change and kids at this age seemingly pop up overnight, but you can't change what you saw. Its the same thing when I am watching LAFC 2005 group play Nomads or another team clearly below the level.

The difficult part about making evaluations on players is the truly top teams rarely play each other. I think its understandably difficult to imagine the gap in talent we have across this country, but it is there. For me, its one of the reasons kids slip through the cracks so often. GA Cup, Dallas Cup, DA Playoffs are a few of the events that we unfortunately didn't get earlier this year. These events are the type where evaluations can really be done correctly and they offer enough good matches where a kid can make up for one poor performance.

I have seen the Presthus kid play several times as well and really don't see much. However, that was many months ago and he could be a totally different player now. All this to say, we have such a talent chasm here in the US, I think its important to understand the overall talent level of a match when evaluating any player.

I also think we make too much of playing up in the US. Playing up for Columbus in the 2004, 2005, 2006 age group is not the same as a kid at LAFC, FCD or some of the other top Academies. Many times, players playing their own age at the top Academies are superior players to those playing up age groups in other Academies.

24. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Sagar Patel could start but not be a standout at LAFC or FCD but those academies are a whole different breed. The Columbus u15’s are definitely playoff level but they are definitely not a top MLS academy team. Ive had to see multiple games this season to actually understand the level of these players because the teams in the Midwest overall are not very good. Losing Minnesota United and Chicago Fire not being allowed to play really hurt the division at all levels

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    An example of what I mean. Go to 49:50.

That play works against anyone. Elite offense beats elite defense, When Messi, Neymar, Mbappe pulls out a crazy skill play, the defenders look bad. Messi against Boateng. I'm not saying this kid will ever be at that level, but he has a lot of really great flashes of elite offensive ability that will translate up levels IMO. I don't know how to create these highlight videos that @watke @ShaftBrewer do, but if I did, I could find a few minutes per game where he showcases really high level offensive skills that I think will translate against pros.

This is also just my opinion. I respect other views. We'll see what happens. The players discussed in this section are far from finished products.