2020-2021 UEFA Referee Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Aug 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghastly Officiating

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 12, 2017
    Rennes - Krasnodar - Are referees not having to go to the monitor for PK decisions?

2. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very strange penalty call in Rennes. Tackle comes in, referee gives nothing. Some seconds later, it looks like play is going to stop for the injured player, and the referee points to the spot. Commentators are crediting the VAR, but surely it can't be.

Perhaps the footage on the whiparound show was edited somehow?

3. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    PSG's last six matches in the UCL were handled by Mateu Lahoz, Taylor, Taylor, Kuipers, Orsato, and Mateu Lahoz. Taylor also did PSG's opening match in last season's competition, and 3-0 win over Real Madrid.

4. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Gözübüyük did have a CL match before - Manchester City's 2-0 home win against Dinamo Zagreb in the group stage last season.

5. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    https://streamable.com/k5c500

6. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very weird. It looks like he was about to whistle for the foul and then realizes the player gets a lot of ball (after he fouls him, of course). So that makes him doubt his instinctive call. After whistling, it seems like he gestures over to AR2, as if he helped him out during what would have been a long conversation relatively speaking.

It makes sense to the point that I can see it happening here. Pre-VAR, we’d talk about amazing teamwork for a gutsy AR to bail out his referee.

But because VAR exists, people will wonder. Makes absolutely no sense to do this in a deliberately incorrect way, though. VAR is Valeri—no way he’s telling him to award a penalty without an OFR.

7. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh. That's one of the strangest PK calls I've seen.

Presuming it was either the AR (or perhaps the 4th?) who got in his ear to convince him to make the call, it's odd, because the referee clearly has the angle on that call.

If this is my game, I'd be making sure there was a clear indication of why I changed my mind. If there's no flag from the AR, I'd either be going over to talk to him before giving the penalty, or at least indicate clearly that I'm communicating with him on my headset. It's sort of reminiscent of the 2006 wold cup final, where the 4th official told the referee over the headset about Zidane's violent conduct, but the referee still went over and had a conversation with the AR before giving the red. Sometime later, he remarked that he did that purely so it wouldn't look like he just decided to change his mind.

But, perhaps in the age of VAR, selling the call isn't so important.

8. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    Any opinions on Lahoz's performance? I've heard good things but I haven't watched the whole game outside of highlights.

9. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    from a purely logistical perspective, I don’t even think VAR would have enough time to break protocol to view this play and communicate to the referee in the ~25sec that passed if he wanted to. That won’t stop the parade of idiots from suggesting such.

REALLY gutsy (and correct) from AR2 I presume. Great teamwork with the referee, I wouldn’t have the guts to correct my R like that, with a PERFECT view, unless we had really great trust and rapport.

10. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
  11. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m obviously making assumptions, but my guess is there is a full conversation going on. The AR would only feel comfortable recommending the PK once he realized the referee was changing his instinctive call based on a poor perception or wrong set of facts. So I’d give credit to both AR and CR for working it out.

That said, I wonder if the powers that be will like this. Imagine if they got it wrong and VAR had to reverse? Just not sure “gutsy” is as high on the list of qualities now since VAR, in theory, gets this for you if the answer is obvious. Making the gutsy call becomes an unnecessary risk. Like calling keeper encroachment on a PK.

12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm. Fouls in the APP seem to have an impossibly high bar in some competitions.

Mikael_Referee repped this.
  13. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Well, the announcer said it looked accidental . . .

14. balilla

balilla New Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Leicester City – Zorya Luhansk
    Referee: Stephanie Frappart (FRA)
    Assistant Referee 1: Cyril Mugnier (FRA)
    Assistant Referee 2: Benjamin Pages (FRA)
    Fourth Official: Johan Hamel (FRA)
    Referee Observer: Kyros Vassaras (GRE)

Frappart gets a group stage match in Europa.

15. elonpuckhog

elonpuckhog Member

Dec 29, 2009
    As a City fan, I thought this could have been bad for City. City were awarded a penalty on this play, which VAR checked for a LONG time. I thought it would be overturned. Sure, it looked accidental, and he has to put his foot somewhere, but maybe not right on top of the keeper. Eventually, City were awarded the penalty.

16. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Braga v AEK
    Roughly 32nd minute
    Braga header towards goal deflects off AEK defender, ball clearly heading over the end line for a corner.
    But the ball strikes a second defender on the hand and continues out for a corner.
    Referee calls no hand ball, awards a corner.
    VAR does not intervene.

I like the call but the commentators (Spanish, I'm not fluent) appear surpised that no hand ball/penalty was given.
    Will try to find video of the incident.

17. WUT?
    [​IMG]

Pierre Head repped this.
  18. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Not the first time I've got one of those! :D
    And I still don't care about Dutch football. I've no reason to, same with lots of other nation's domestic leagues.
    I've never been there and have no connection with any of the clubs.
    However, I like their tulips, the classic artists and scientists and also a certain Olympic sprinter!
    I have enough on my plate with the leagues and competitions I do like and follow.
    Sorry!

PH

frankieboylampard repped this.
  19. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    That surely looks like the top of Ron Koeman's head. Did you photoshop that? :unsure::p

20. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bet is Kevin Blom. And I'm a little embarrassed that I think I'm probably correct.

Thezzaruz, roby and RefIADad repped this.
  21. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    La Liga

Barcelona - Real Marid: MARTINEZ MUNUERA

22. greek ref

greek ref Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Panathinaikos Athens
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Matchday 2

Lokomotiv - Bayern: Kovacs (ROU)
    Shakhtar - Inter: Kabakov (BUL)
    Atletico - Salzburg: Guida (ITA)
    Gladbach - Real: Grinfield (ISR)
    Porto - Olympiakos: Siebert (GER)
    Marseille - Man. City: Stieler (GER)
    Atalanta - Ajax: Skomina (SVN)
    Liverpoul - Midtjylland: Raczkowski (POL)

IASocFan repped this.
  23. greek ref

greek ref Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Panathinaikos Athens
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    New appointment

Atletico - Salzburg: Hategan (ROU)

IASocFan repped this.
  24. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    As many of us know, in La Liga, referees report the reason of all cards issued. For example, in yesterday's Clasico, Martinez Munuera booked Barcelona's Alba right after doing the OFR and before pointing to the spot for Real Madrid in the 61st minute, for "leaving the field of play, entering the review area while I was on the monitor".

Do referees of other leagues have to report this kind of details? What about UEFA competitions?

http://actas.rfef.es/actas/RFEF_CmpActa2?cod_primaria=1000144&CodActa=61648