2020-2021 UEFA Referee Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Aug 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, maybe all four will be involved and those are the Referee/FO pairs.

balu repped this.
  2. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #852 MassachusettsRef, May 10, 2021
    Last edited: May 10, 2021
    As we await the final assignments, I have no problem turning this into a history thread!

I was thinking about this post and thought "well, the FA was banned from participation in European competition for a few years" but then took a look and now realize only English clubs were after Heysel. English referees still got to work. That makes perfect sense from a practical standpoint, but I'm a bit surprised common sense was used!

I also looked at knockout stage assignments for the UCL from its inception until the turn of the century to look at English assignments. Unless I'm missing something, David Elleray never had a UCL knockout match. Not even a quarterfinal. Yet there is the story, which I have never heard doubted, that he was to go to WC98 and chose to stay home to apply for a job promotion at Harrow. I find it somewhat bizarre that he was certain to go to the World Cup yet couldn't even get a knockout match in the Champions League. Do you have any insight here? Did he voluntarily keep himself out of the UCL during the spring for professional/personal reasons? Or was there something else going on? He was doing group stage matches at the time. It seems like in UEFA things went straight from Gallagher being #1 to Durkin being #1. But then there's this story about how Elleray was the obvious choice for World Cup 1998 and he gave it up.

3. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #853 MassachusettsRef, May 10, 2021
    Last edited: May 11, 2021
    And speaking of history.... having dug in here more, what do you know about Vautrot and the bribery allegations of 1984? I've read what is publicly available and I know you have to take certain sources with a grain of salt. But a Roma executive was banned and Vautrot then did not go to WC1986.

4. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    From 1993-1998, although Elleray never worked a UCL knockout round match he did have 5 knockout round matches in the Cup Winners Cup and Uefa Cup.

1993 UEFA Cup
    Quarter-final, 1st leg
    Real Madrid 3-1 Paris Saint-Germain - 6 yellow, 1 red

1994 UEFA Cup
    Quarter-final, 2nd leg
    Eintracht Frankfurt 1-0 (4-5 penalties) Austria Salzburg - 8 yellow, 1 double yellow

1995 Cup Winners Cup
    Quarter-final, 1st leg
    Sampdoria 0-1 Porto - no cards issued

1997 Cup Winners Cup
    Quarterfinal, 1st leg
    Barcelona 3-1 AIK Solna - 0 yellow, 2 red

1997 UEFA Cup
    Semi-final, 1st leg
    Tenerife 1-0 Schalke - 6 yellow, 2 red

NOTE
    In 1992-93 the UCL did not have KO quarterfinals and semi-finals.
    In its place were two groups of four teams each.
    Elleray had the one of these matches: Matchday 6 - Porto v IFK Göteborg
    But the match was a dead rubber as Milan were already confirmed as group winners after Matchday 5 and thus had already booked their place in the UCL final.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

fwiw
    Number of UEFA club matches for English referees, 1992/93 - 1997/98.

* one asterisk represents one knockout round match.
    e.g. in 1995-96 Dermot Gallagher reffed 2 UCL KO matches

I DID NOT include the above mentioned 1993 Porto v Göteborg as a KO match.

1992-93
    5 David Elleray (2 UCL, 1 CWC, *2 Uefa)
    3 Philip Don (*1 UCL, *1 CWC, 1 Uefa)
    3 Brian Hill (1 UCL, 1 CWC, 1 Uefa)
    1 Gerald Ashby (1 UCL)
    1 Stephen Lodge (1 CWC)
    1 Martin Bodenham (1 Uefa)
    1 Joseph Worrall (1 Uefa)

1993-94
    5 Philip Don (*2 UCL, *1 CWC, *2 Uefa)
    4 David Elleray (2 UCL, *2 Uefa)
    2 Brian Hill (2 Uefa)
    1 Gerald Ashby (1 CWC)
    1 Stephen Lodge (1 CWC)
    1 Martin Bodenham (1 Uefa)
    1 Mike Reed (1 Uefa)

1994-95
    4 David Elleray (2 UCL, *1 CWC, 1 Uefa)
    4 Dermot Gallagher (1 CWC, 3 Uefa)
    2 Gerald Ashby (2 Uefa)
    1 Stephen Lodge (1 CWC)
    1 Martin Bodenham (1 CWC)

1995-96
    4 Dermot Gallagher (**3 UCL, 1 Uefa)
    2 Paul Durkin (1 UCL, 1 Uefa)
    2 David Elleray (1 UCL, 1 Uefa)
    2 Mike Reed (2 Uefa)
    1 Stephen Lodge (1 CWC)

1996-97
    4 David Elleray (1 UCL, *2 CWC, *2 Uefa)
    3 Mike Reed (3 Uefa)
    2 Paul Durkin (1 UCL, 1 Uefa)
    2 Stephen Lodge (1 CWC, 1 Uefa)
    0 Dermot Gallagher - Gallagher suffered an Achilles injury during Euro 96 which kept him out of action until early 1997. He only reffed 9 Premier League matches - none in the FA Cup or League Cup - during the 96-97 campaign.

1997-98
    6 Paul Durkin (**4 UCL, *2 Uefa)
    3 Dermot Gallagher (1 UCL, 2 Uefa)
    3 Graham Poll (1 UCL, 2 Uefa)
    2 David Elleray (2 UCL)
    1 Stephen Lodge (1 CWC)

Mikael_Referee and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  5. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great research. None of those knockout match assignments were really setting the world on fire, though. Even the 1993 one wasn't what it would be today, as PSG wasn't viewed as the same type of club it is contemporarily.

Elleray's handling and positiniong within UEFA and FIFA just strikes me as odd. Some evidence points to him pretty much being England's #1 internationally throughout the entire 1990s. But then there's really no individual time period where he's clearly #1 within Europe or for a major tournament.

6. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    In his book, Elleray says that he informed the FA ahead of time that he could not take the time off to go to the WC98 and therefore should not be nominated.
    This was because the critical exams that determined university admissions were scheduled at the same time and he needed to be there to prepare his students for them. Harrow is one of the top private schools (Public in British vernacular) where the sons of the rich and powerful go at great cost. The boys are expected to get good exam results and get admitted to the prestigious universities like Oxford and Cambridge. Many of their alumni become members of the UK government. WInston Churchill was a student there.

So although it sounds odd, it does seem plausible as he would not have wanted to lose his prestigious job.

PH

7. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I have never doubted nor do I doubt what his personal choice was or would have been. It's just that it's always been framed, in tellings I've heard and read, as Elleray refusing a certain or actual nomination to the World Cup. In that excellent documentary on him, I believe he even says he intended to referee the World Cup Final in 1998. And in this article, he flat out says he "was indeed asked by FIFA to go to France for the tournament."
    https://www.theguardian.com/observer/osm/story/0,,1270850,00.html

Durkin always appeared to be cast as a last minute back-up plan. Your wording, of "therefore should not be nominated" strikes me as more likely be accurate. Based on assignments, it looks like he knew by the summer of 1997 that he would or could not accept an appointment to the tournament. So it doesn't seem like he turned down an actual nomination. It's a small nuance. But it does feel like there's been both some bad reporting and some slight stretching of the truth as the years have gone on.

Also, I thought the acute reason for him being unable to attend was a job interview for a promotion--one which he said he then did not get. I believe this was in the documentary, too. The idea that it was about preparing students for exams strikes me as odd, because annual exams would always be in the same general time period, no? If annual exams were always in the June-July period and he knew what his decision would be, then surely he would never have held the dream of going to France 98 in the first place.

8. allan_park

allan_park Member

May 15, 2000
    I will go into this in a bit more detail later - and also the Vautrot/Quiniou question - but this is correct.

Elleray took himself out of the running for the WC due to being short-listed for a top job at Harrow, which he ultimately missed out on, not to prepare students for exams. As you said, he was quite open about the reason in his autobiography.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  9. ref29

ref29 Member

Nov 8, 2010
    I always suspected that those allegations played a role in Vautrot skipping WC1986, since they coincided with the only gap (1985-1987) in his top international career.

10. ref29

ref29 Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Elleray said on many occasions that he missed WC1998 due to job-related interview. However, I also found it interesting the lack of top FIFA or UEFA appointments between 1996-1988 vs his potential selection for WC1998. While I respect his personal choice, I am not aware of any other top referee who deliberately gave up a chance to attend a WC for a job interview.

11. allan_park

allan_park Member

May 15, 2000
    Sorry, we probably should have been clearer here - he didn't "withdraw from consideration" for the WC because he was "attending a job interview". The interview itself was late spring/early summer, but the more important consideration was that if he got the role, he would have been expected/needed to take it up early in the summer - that is, while the WC was running.

So, it wasn't the "interview" itself that was the issue - it was the fact that he would not be able to take up the role in the timeframe required if he was at the WC.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  12. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The finals referee teams have been announced.

2021 UEFA Champions League final refereeing team
    Referee: Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz (Spain)
    Assistants: Pau Cebrián Devis, Roberto Díaz Pérez del Palomar (both Spain)
    4th official: Carlos del Cerro Grande (Spain)
    VAR: Alejandro José Hernández Hernández (Spain)
    VAR Assistants: Juan Martínez Munuera, Íñigo Prieto López de Cerain (both Spain), Pawel Gil (Poland)

2021 UEFA Europa League final refereeing team
    Referee: Clément Turpin (France)
    Assistants: Nicolas Danos, Cyril Gringore (both France)
    4th official: Slavko Vinčić (Slovenia)
    VAR: François Letexier (France)
    VAR Assistants: Jérôme Brisard, Benjamin Pages (both France), Paulus van Boekel (Netherlands)

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/med...3VE62isAfqHGNrWGq20Zcyiy67dOw1LEFJci_rvf1lEjo

frankieboylampard, gaolin, balu and 2 others repped this.
  13. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    frankieboylampard repped this.
  14. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    They need to shut up managers about referees once and for all. You don't get freedom of speech to talk shit about coworkers. I'm a huge fan of Guardiola but he needs to shut up about referees just like Mourinho or else he could get someone killed (Mourinho forced referees out of the game due to threats).

15. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd

So much to unpack in 7 minutes of highlights between Inter and Juventus.

VAR awards two penalties that, in the pre-VAR days, are almost never given. For sure, in regards to the second one. That's never given.

Then a pretty soft second caution for a SPA foul. I don't think that gets given in the Champions League. Even the Inter player gives an expression of, "I don't know see how that's a red card."

Referee then disallows a goal for a foul by the attacker on the field. Since, the whistle came after the ball went into the net, VAR checks and deems that there was no foul by the attacker. Goal given and so much for the VAR would reduce dissent as Chiellini gets a booking for protesting the call.

Finally, a third penalty is given this time on the field and I just have a hard time seeing that as a penalty. The problem for the VAR is when you award one penalty for the most minor of contact earlier in the game, it becomes really hard to say that this isn't a penalty.

in general, the referee had a really poor game and his management of the match was poor.

Every couple of years in Italy, a referee, on one of these big matches between Juve, Milan, Inter and Roma, will just have a complete stinker of a match. Luckily this match only really mattered for Juve and not Inter.

I saw Rizzoli just completely mess up a Milan derby. Rocchi had his fair share of shocking performances in these big games. I can't explain it or understand, but you almost never see a game like this between one of the big clubs in England or an El Clasico just botched in Spain.

roby and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This one, in particular, is fascinating.

The whole thing also speaks to how some leagues and cultures are using VAR a lot differently than others. I kind of feel like from 2005 to the advent of VAR, you were getting a lot more standardization (for better or worse) of the application of the LOTG at the top levels globally. The differences from league to league or continent to continent were not as pronounced as they were previously. Now an entirely new system of officiating with its own standards has been introduced and it's the wild west again. So much of what you see in this video is par for the course in Italy re: VAR, but would never fly in a lot of other places. Turning this defensive DFK into a goal is probably Exhibit A.

And agree on your last two paragraphs. One big Serie A match blows up or is full of controversial indicents every season. It almost never fails.

Irrati was VAR here, correct?

17. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I know referees aren't supposed to officiate any differently with VAR as they did before with the exception of a few technical differences such as delaying your whistle, etc, but, in reality, it has changed the way referees officiate games.

I don't think any MLS referee would even risk calling this foul on the field. Let the VAR sort it out. If it's obvious enough, the VAR will intervene.

I do applaud the referee for trying to make the call on the field, but as we've seen the risks just far outweigh the rewards.

There is almost zero incentive now to call a foul on the attacker on situations like this on a corner or set piece. Unless it is just so blatant and obvious. I'm talking two hand shove in the back where you're completely thrown to the ground.

18. Bradley Smith

Bradley Smith Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Yes. At least that's what they said on the broadcast. I haven't confirmed 100%.

19. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    That was an amazing set of highlites. The attacker foul/goal as you say is such high risk reward, that you are better off letting it get sorted out. The second yellow SPA thing might not have been worthy of a yellow on its own, but certainly didn’t rise to the 2CT level at all.

20. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
  21. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    This is a perfect example from what IFAB showed of a supporting arm. The arm that the ball hits is vertical as the player is sliding and falling toward the ground. While it may not yet be on the ground, that doesn't matter.

The example is in their 19-20 law changes presentation found here, right at the end of the handball section:

https://theifab.com/presentation-of-ifab-log-2019-20/

IFAB 19-20 HB image.png

22. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just turned the game on for the 2nd half of extra time. Are there no comments because the game has been drab (Clive and Rob have insinuated as much on the CBSSN broadcast), Turpin has been good, or some of both?

23. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Nothing happened in the entire match. One offside review, and I surmise the world feed in UEFA does not show what VAR are looking at so I still don’t know how close the United goal was to being OS. Neither team was very good.

24. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A good way to get around the whole var and keepers off the line thing is to just make 21 straight pks.

IASocFan repped this.