2020-2021 UEFA Referee Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Aug 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never started this thread before the end of the previous season, but here we are! 2020-2021 qualifying matches are already being played and the list of categories just became public. This thread will take us through the club season, international qualifiers, and up to EURO 2020 (yes, that's still the name) when hopefully we'll again have a dedicated sub-forum for the tournament.

This is what we're working with for the rest of the calendar year:

https://www.docdroid.net/Hk0w5Jk/men-all-categories-first-half-of-2020-21-pdf

Only one Italian Elite referee is jarring. Does Orsato go to WC2022 at age 47?

Going to see some big turnover in the coming years with Kuipers, Cakir, Skomina, Brych, Orsato and Cerro Grande, among others, only having 1-2 years left at most. EURO 2020 is going to be a swansong for a lot of referees.

Anyone want to guess UCL Final referee for 2021 before we know 2020?

A few new names to watch in Category 1, include Kavanagh's elevation (ahead of Attwell and Tierney). Madden not getting promoted at his age seems odd to me. @allan_park , I know you are a backer... any thoughts there? Maybe just no one was getting promoted to Elite no matter what and he's on deck for 2021.

Mazieka being dropped to Category after doing a UCL group stage is the one big surprise that sticks out to me from the lower categories. Well, that and Moen--a former EURO and Elite referee--still lingering there, too.

2. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I imagine Ioannis Papadopoulos, Konstantinos Nikolaidis, Vasileios Nikolakakis and Evangelos Manouchos will get free money for not working the 2020-2021 Champions League prelim final.

3. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    To quote your word from a few years ago, the "renaissance" in Italian refereeing is well and truly over, at least for now.

Since 2012, every Final referee has done at least one QF or SF in an earlier year (Kassai in 2011 was the last one to skip this step). Those who satisfy this criterion and haven't done a Final before are Collum, del Cerro Grande, Makkelie, Marciniak, Mateu Lahoz, Oliver, Orsato, Taylor, and Turpin. Up to two names may get added to this list soon, but more likely none or at most one. We can probably rule out Collum, del Cerro Grande, and Oliver. Among the rest, there's no perennial candidate like Skomina anymore, and form will play a huge role in the next year, so it's anyone's guess at this point. If there could be a dark horse outside this list, then it's probably Hategan.

4. gaolin

gaolin Member+

Apr 21, 2019
    I would love to hear more about these young FIFA internationals like Kaarlo Osakri Hämäläinen (26, Finald) and Yigal Fid (27, Israel). Really anyone below age 30. What was their trajectory like?

5. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    I don't know anything about Hämäläinen but Frid is a very (very) poor referee, I'm flabbergasted that UEFA decided to promote him.

6. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you know anything about a Hovdanum? A Faroese referee being promoted to second category at 30 caught my eye.

7. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    Me and my refereeing friends were all asking round but nobody knew anything about him! With no U17 EURO this summer a few of the risers to 2nd Cat. are quite unknown.

8. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    Moen refused to complete the fitness test as he was more interested in the $$$ from handling games in Saudi Arabia. I have zero sympathy for him, if Terje Hauge had any nerve he would remove him from refereeing at all in Norway, but that's a different story...

I feel really sorry for Mažeika who is clearly a victim of politics - it's fine that the quite weak Tiago Martins stays in 1st while fellow Portuguese Veríssimo deservedly goes up, but having two from Lithuania is obviously too much... (Rumšas is very talented and maybe future Elite, by the way).

Sure he was a bit shy in his games and not even a candidate for Elite, but he never deserved to be demoted. C'est le vie. A short highlights of this interesting Kosovo - Bulgaria game handled by him is a nice memory. :)

9. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nations League assignments are starting to leak. Will wait to post until we have confirmation of a fuller slate, but notable that Hategan has France-Croatia, the World Cup Final rematch.

On a related note, I'll close the 2019-2020 thread after the Women's UCL Final. At this point, every UEFA match except that one is in the 2020-2021 season.

10. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UEFA Nations League (3 September)
    Ukraine : Switzerland - EKBERG (SWE)
    Germany : Spain - ORSATO (ITA)
    Turkey : Hungary - SOARES DIAS (POR)
    Russia : Serbia - COLLUM (SCO)
    Bulgaria : Republic of Ireland - HIGLER (NED)
    Finland : Wales - SIEBERT (GER)
    Slovenia : Greece - MADDEN (SCO)
    Moldova : Kosovo - STEEN (NOR)
    Faroe Islands : Malta - FARKAS (HUN)
    Latvia : Andorra - CHRISTOFI (CYP)

No VAR and no AARs--like refereeing back in the Stone Age for UEFA officials.

Orsato with a pretty big one, which isn't surprising. Higler and Ekberg both get matches that show they are being pushed.

London_ref and frankieboylampard repped this.
  11. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    the Collum match of Serbia v. Russia seems like a higher profile match to me. As far as soccer Serbia is above average but that match has the obvious history with Russia between the 2 nations.

12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, but Collum is already Elite. Ekberg and Higler aren't. Higler's not even in the First Category. That's why I noted those two. Higler is a Second Category referee with a very competitive match. Ekberg is a non-Elite who is working the League A, which is noteworthy.

Collum has a big game, but he's supposed to have a big game. Anything less than what he got there would be a pretty bad signal. As it stands, he has Madden nipping at his heels.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  13. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Serbia was part of Yugoslavia, which was not in the old Soviet Union/Russia sphere of influence. It is not like the other
    Eastern and Central European countries that were republics of the Soviet Union (Ukraine, Belarus, etc.) or under their control like e.g. Poland, Hungary and Czechoslovakia. So it shouldn't be a tense match.

PH

14. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Somehow I knew we would hear from you about this :D

15. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    I had also guessed that only a Scottish referee would be assigned to this match.
    If they can handle Celtic vs. Rangers, this one is a walk in the park! Likewise who else but an Italian for
    Germany vs. Spain? "Don't mention the war."

16. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Serbia and Russia are allies if anything. The two nations consider each other to be "Slavic brothers" Russia offers a lot of financial and military support to Serbia.

Serbia's view is that Russia has Serbia's back.

17. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Where are the Nation's League assignments for Sept 4 and beyond?

PH

18. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Frappart appointed to the Malta - Latvia match in Group D. One of her assistants is not on the FIFA list.

allan_park repped this.
  19. allan_park

allan_park Member

May 15, 2000
    Big appointment for her, and for women's officiating generally, and we should all be very pleased for her/them that they have got the recognition.

In truth, though, it might well have been a bit of a "slap in the face" if she had not been given one at this time. Just looking at the fixtures for this week and next, and only looking at the four main UEFA competitions namely Champions League and Europa League qualifying, Nations League and UEFA U-21s, there are more than 150 games to be covered in this 2-week period! That is 300 Referee and 300 Assistant appointments in a 2-week window, in the middle of a pandemic with all sorts of travel restrictions.

Not taking anything away from her, but right now National Associations are being stretched to satisfy the requirements from UEFA, and that is reflected in a number of the appointments.

rh89 and London_ref repped this.
  20. London_ref

London_ref Member

May 6, 2014
    London, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    4 September

Italy - Bosnia and Herzegovina: Anastasios Sidiropoulos (GRE)
    Netherlands - Poland : Georgi Kabakov (BUL)
    Romania - Northern Ireland: François Letexier (FRA)
    Norway - Austria: Mattias Gestranius (FIN)
    Scotland - Israel: Slavko Vinčić (SVN)
    Slovakia - Czech Republic: Andris Treimanis (LVA)
    Lithuania - Kazakhstan: Rade Obrenovič (SVN)
    Belarus - Albania: Kristoffer Karlsson (SWE)

5 September

Iceland - England: Srdjan Jovanović (SRB)
    Denmark - Belgium: Sandro Schärer (SUI)
    Sweden - France: Szymon Marciniak (POL)
    Portugal - Croatia: Davide Massa (ITA)
    North Macedonia - Armenia: Irfan Peljto (BIH)
    Azerbaijan - Luxembourg: Christopher Kavanagh (ENG)
    Cyprus - Montenegro: Harm Osmers (GER)
    Estonia - Georgia: Donatas Rumšas (LTU)
    Gibraltar - San Marino: Aleksandrs Anufrijevs (LVA)

6 September

Spain - Ukraine: Benoît Bastien (FRA)
    Switzerland - Germany: Michael Oliver (ENG)
    Wales - Bulgaria: Fábio Veríssimo (POR)
    Hungary - Russia: Maurizio Mariani (ITA)
    Republic of Ireland - Finland: Fabio Maresca (ITA)
    Serbia - Turkey: Aleksei Kulbakov (BLR)
    Slovenia - Moldova: Jérôme Brisard (FRA)
    Kosovo - Greece: Pavel Královec (CZE)
    Andorra - Faroe Islands: Harald Lechner (AUT)
    Malta - Latvia : Stéphanie Frappart (FRA)

7 September

Bosnia and Herzegovina - Poland: Cüneyt Çakır (TUR)
    Netherlands - Italy: Felix Brych (GER)
    Northern Ireland - Norway: Bartosz Frankowski (POL)
    Austria - Romania: Glenn Nyberg (SWE)
    Israel - Slovakia: Nikola Dabanović (MNE)
    Czech Republic - Scotland: Serdar Gözübüyük (NED)
    Kazakhstan - Belarus: Giorgi Kruashvili (GEO)
    Albania - Lithuania: Serhiy Boiko (UKR)

8 September

Denmark - England: István Kovács (ROU)
    Belgium - Iceland: Paweł Raczkowski (POL)
    Sweden - Portugal: Danny Makkelie (NED)
    France - Croatia: Ovidiu Hațegan (ROU)
    Armenia - Estonia: David Coote (ENG)
    Georgia - North Macedonia: Peter Kjaesgaard (DEN)
    Luxembourg - Montenegro: Lawrence Visser (BEL)
    Cyprus - Azerbaijan: Filip Glova (SVK)
    San Marino - Liechtenstein: Enea Jorgji (ALB)

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been mostly offline for a week so thanks for doing these.

Obviously, with this many appointments there can be a lot to analyze. I found the following noteworthy:

1) Jovanovic on a League A match; think it's now pretty clear he's one of the next big things from Eastern Europe.
    2) Bastien getting a League A match, signalling a pretty strong rise and indication France has two truly Elite officials now.
    3) Scharer in League A, also putting him on the map and possibly finally getting a Swiss referee back toward the top.
    4) Massa, Mariani and Maresca all having moderately big games... the search for Italy's number 2 is in earnest.
    5) Verrisimo is a name that comes out of nowhere for me. I don't know what, but that name really stands out because it's from a country where usually we hear about the rising referees and I've heard nothing about him.

I didn't get to see much, but from what I've seen and read, Pejito was excellent and Brych was as well (and there are now arguments Brych could/should/might stay on through 2022).

There are also a lot of highlights online to analyze if we want, but one I found amazing in a lot of ways was this situation from Oliver's match:

https://streamable.com/bpgj8v

allan_park repped this.
  22. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard she also has a Europa League match coming, so two matches in the span of a couple weeks for a female referee who has never worked a senior men's international does feel like a fair amount.

Any idea why Frappart is getting men's matches and Steinhaus isn't? I imagine Frappart is doing a lot better domestically with men's appointments but I wonder if that's the only reason.

23. allan_park

allan_park Member

May 15, 2000
    I actually don't know the answer to that one, to be perfectly honest. Not sure if it's to do with performance levels domestically, though, as I think Steinhaus' challenge in the Bundesliga is significantly greater than Frappart's in Ligue 1.

It might be interesting to see what happens in mid-October. In the similar two-week window to the current one, there are another 150 or so top-level UEFA games to be covered, all at a time when most of the European Leagues will be back up and in full flight, and most of which are also scheduling a raft of midweek games to try and recover lost dates.

Bottom line is that I think we will see a few new names making an appearance on UEFA fixtures in the next few weeks.

24. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    I don't usually dissect these appointments, but I found it striking that no Scottish referees were listed for any of these
    matches. Also, are referees from Wales, Northern Ireland and Irish Republic not considered either?
    As was pointed out, with hundreds of matches in short time frames, there are lots of slots to be filled.

PH

25. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Collum and Madden worked over these two matchdays, which we had already discussed. We are looking at two matchdays over six days--the Scottish appointments were frontloaded into the first day.

What's actually striking is that there were no Spanish or Russian assignments at all. I saw some speculation online about domestic training schedules for those two FAs that might have precluded assignments. But still pretty amazing to not see referees from either of those countries, particularly Spain.

As for Wales, Northern Ireland and Ireland, there are only three referees from those FAs (two IRL, one WAL) that are even in the Second Category--none in the First or Elite categories. It seems like about 5 of 90 referees in that Second Category got assignment this time, so it's not something you would expect. So, sure, they are considered. But an assignment to a Nations League match wouldn't be common right now, given their rankings. They are active in UCL and UEL qualifying, though, where UEFA has to go deeper to make appointments.

Pierre Head repped this.