2020/2021 SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY FC

Discussion in 'League Championship' started by IvanIV, Sep 15, 2020.

1. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Wednesday have taken a two-goal lead into halftime, Windass with a first half brace. I thought to myself, if they can just come out strong and withstand the pressure for 15 minutes or so, they should be ok.

It's now 2-2 in the 58th. Not good. Not good, at all.

IvanIV repped this.
  2. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    ... and there's the winner. Luton 3-2 in the 87th.

Wednesday seemed to have stabilized a bit, but pissed it away in the end.

And Brum, who were losing in the 80th, have scored twice and are now beating QPR. Wednesday are going down. There's plenty of season left, but unless something changes dramatically, they just don't have it in 'em.

IvanIV repped this.
  3. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Out of the relegation zone at halftime. Six points adrift at fulltime. Unbelievable Jeff.

Luton with three shots on goal. And three goals. Perhaps they should've played with eleven outfielders, y'know, since the keeper wasn't going to do anything.

IvanIV repped this.
  4. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bring on Wednesday's game, a win for either side should give renewed hope but it'll probably be the football equivalent of two pensioners hitting each other with handbags and end up a draw.

IvanIV repped this.
  5. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    You're both going down.

... not happy about either, of course. But true nonetheless.

6. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Tell ya what, Myshoe, all Warne has to do is tell his boys to go out on the front foot, take it to 'em and leave a bit in every tackle, make it just a bit physical, and they'll have it under control within twenty minutes. Wednesday will crumble under anything that appears adversarial.

Y'know, I haven't really seen Rov'rum this year ... there's plenty of time left ... maybe you've still got a decent chance. The Birmingham result will have hurt you as much as Wednesday, but if your boys are prepared to make a fist of it, it's still there to play for. This Wednesday squad can't make a fist.

IvanIV and Myshoe repped this.
  7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You scored 23 in 32 games, which is the fewest goals per game, so losing when you score 2 is bad.

IvanIV repped this.
  8. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We create chances but the last few games we've missed open goals from 3 yards out, either over the bar or fresh air shots. I'm not as confident we'll even score as I was just a few games ago, creating chances is one thing, scoring them is another. 17 shots today, 1 on target sums us up.

IvanIV repped this.
  9. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    One on target should be enough. :unsure:

IvanIV repped this.
  10. IvanIV

IvanIV King of all He purveys

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #235 IvanIV, Feb 28, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    I didn't believe there was any way for us to beat The Hatters.h ey are a pretty decent side. They shouldn't be taken lightly by anyone. Their promotion season in League One was pretty spectacular, IMHO.

[​IMG]

11. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    They weren't good yesterday. Wednesday played Luton off the pitch in the first half. Windass should've had a hat trick, but going in 2-0 up should've been enough. But once they conceded the first one, you knew what was coming. They're so fragile. I haven't seen any account saying Luton played well, at all. Certainly the highlights don't suggest it.

I'm all for giving Luton their due. Solidly midtable and respectable enough. But they were definitely beatable. Simply not being shit would've sufficed. But Wednesday couldn't manage that.

There's still a long way to go yet, but the last couple games have had relegation written all over 'em.

IvanIV repped this.
  12. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen quite a few of our games and I've not seen anything that has led me to believe we'd not get relegated.

With, or without, points being deducted we're still a very bad football team.

Proof of that is Luton had a bad day and still beat us.

13. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I really wasn't worried until after Pulis left. I guess I probably should've been before that, but I wasn't.

And even though I knew you were in the relegation fight, it wasn't until the Brum game that it became clear (to me, anyway) that this squad just doesn't have the guts for it. I mean, I knew they weren't good, but I didn't think they'd roll over.

IvanIV repped this.
  14. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd hoped for the best but, yeah, Pulis leaving was the tipping point for me as well.

That said anything can happen.

15. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    #241 pookspur, Mar 1, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Moore or Chansiri?

17. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    There seems to be a lot of genuine enthusiasm for this appointment.

I remember his taking over at West Brom when Pardew got the sack and that they made a fist of it under Moore, even though they were as good as down. I also recall him getting the sack at West Brom when they were sitting 4th in the Championship, and lots of folks saying that seemed harsh. But I can't remember seeing his West Brom play, or at least how they played. Folks are saying that his teams play good, positive football, so that'll make a nice change, assuming he feels he has the players to do that at Wednesday. At any rate, the timing seems good, as they'll have needed something - anything - coming out of Luton. And of course another it's also a good sign in showing that Mr Chansiri is still involved and committed. It's the easiest thing in the world to just shrug your shoulders and say he doesn't know what he's doing. But at least he's still looking for answers.

Good luck to Darren Moore. I'd just gotten to the point where I thought it was a lost cause. Maybe - hopefully - that was premature.

IvanIV repped this.
  18. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Perfect set of results tonight, there's still hope for whoever wins tomorrow....

IvanIV repped this.
  19. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    What do you make of the Moore hiring, Myshoe? Could provide a bounce at just the wrong time for Rotherham. Before the announcement, I was thinking you couldn't have wanted more, coming off the Luton loss. But now ...

IvanIV repped this.
  20. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah I was thinking it was more about the phenomenon of new manager bounce what with the timing, maybe your owner thinks (or is just hoping) your players are being a bit lazy and need a kick up the arse? I dunno.

We have a few injuries and suspensions so I'm not exactly confident for tomorrow, the only good thing is if we lose we still have that extra game in hand, not that it means much on current form.

I'm sure we'll create good chances, I'm just not confident we'll score them and/or keep a clean sheet.

IvanIV repped this.
  21. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

A.K.A. the 6 point game...

22. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rotherham scored in the 17th and got a straight red in the 66th. They scored an own goal in the 82nd to tie it. Rotherham scored in the 90+6th to win 2-1. SW is 7 points behind safety with a game in hand on 21st place Birmingham.

23. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have to say on that performance you look just as wasteful as we are and less hard working, Paterson could have had a hat-trick.

IvanIV repped this.
  24. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Not what I'd hoped for, but hardly unexpected.

No disrespect intended toward the Millers, but "couldn't cope with 10-man Rotherham" is fairly damning.

25. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #250 Myshoe, Mar 3, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    The most damning thing is we had a make-shift defence and you still couldn't score without our help. :p Even before we went down to 10 men (which looked like a harsh red) I felt like we would need a 2nd goal to win, I didn't expect us to concede such a soft one though.

IvanIV repped this.