2020-2021 England Referee Appointments (EPL+) [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Aug 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But not similar at all in regards to the one key difference that matters.

In the Arsenal situation, the flag went up and offside was the on-field decision. If the VAR determines that is not a clear mistake, there is no need for a review.

In this situation, the goal was awarded on-field. So once the VAR determines there was objectively offside position and decides, from a subjective standpoint, that he believes not calling offside for interfering with an opponent is a clear error... then there has to be an OFR, per the protocols.

Everything is determined by what the on-field decision is.

2. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I was listening to the commentators both on play by play and at halftime, the general consensus was that the Laws dictate that the Gomez incident is handling, but that it really shouldn't be handling. I don't necessarily disagree with them. I thought Lee Dixon was a bit petulant in his post-match comments (where he just folded his arms really tightly to make a point and brusquely told Arlo White, "Next question" when asked about the play), but I tend to agree with the overall idea that the play really shouldn't be handling.

I've said a few times that IFAB's attempts to turn handling into a purely objective assessment are going about as well as the NFL's efforts to define a catch in purely objective terms (in other words, not well at all). It's just not working.

3. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Would be interesting to hear from people from Spain/Portugal and South America as I'm under the impression that these decisions are more in line with how they have treated handball for some time. Does the new laws cause issues in those countries or is it in line with what people expect there?

4. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Thank you for this. I did not realize that, the difference did not dawn on me and now it makes perfect sense.

5. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    As I understand it, the new Law on handling was I. Essence a compromise between the everything-is-handling countries (e.g., SA) and the unless-it-was-blatantly-deliberate-it’s-nothing countries (e.g., UK), which would suggest that in those countries there would be, if anything, fewer hand ball calls with the new guidelines, not more. But I, too, would be interested in what has actually happened there.

6. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
  7. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
  8. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Matchweek 9

Newcastle - Chelsea
    Referee: Craig Pawson. Assistants: Ian Hussin, Harry Lennard. Fourth official: Robert Jones. VAR: Simon Hooper. Assistant VAR: Scott Ledger.

Aston Villa - Brighton
    Referee: Michael Oliver. Assistants: Stuart Burt, Simon Bennett. Fourth official: Darren England. VAR: Chris Kavanagh. Assistant VAR: Daniel Cook.

Tottenham - Man City
    Referee: Mike Dean. Assistants: Darren Cann, Dan Robathan. Fourth official: Andy Madley. VAR: Kevin Friend. Assistant VAR: Adrian Holmes.

Man Utd - West Brom
    Referee: David Coote. Assistants: Lee Betts, Nick Hopton. Fourth official: Martin Atkinson. VAR: Peter Bankes. Assistant VAR: Andy Halliday.

Fulham - Everton
    Referee: Andy Madley. Assistants: Eddie Smart, Derek Eaton. Fourth official: Graham Scott. VAR: Lee Mason. Assistant VAR: Andy Halliday.

Sheffield - West Ham
    Referee: Martin Atkinson. Assistants: Constantine Hatzidakis, Peter Kirkup. Fourth official: Robert Jones. VAR: Jonathan Moss. Assistant VAR: Andy Halliday.

Leeds - Arsenal
    Referee: Anthony Taylor. Assistants: Gary Beswick, Adam Nunn. Fourth official: Peter Bankes. VAR: Stuart Attwell. Assistant VAR: Neil Davies.

Liverpool - Leicester
    Referee: Chris Kavanagh. Assistants: Daniel Cook, Marc Perry. Fourth official: Paul Tierney. VAR: David Coote. Assistant VAR: Nick Hopton.

Burnley - Crystal Palace
    Referee: Kevin Friend. Assistants: Simon Beck, Adrian Holmes. Fourth official: Mike Dean. VAR: Anthony Taylor. Assistant VAR: Adam Nunn.

Wolves - Southampton
    Referee: Andre Marriner. Assistants: Simon Long, Richard West. Fourth official: Jonathan Moss. VAR: Paul Tierney. Assistant VAR: Gary Beswick.

Dean with a rematch of last year's Tottenham win that saw Zinchenko's red card and VAR penalty fun. Pawson, Taylor, and Kavanagh all with likely entertaining clashes.

9. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    "Big Six" matches:

Arsenal - Liverpool (Community Shield): Marriner
    Chelsea - Liverpool: Tierney
    Liverpool - Arsenal: Pawson
    Tottenham - Chelsea (Carabao Cup): Mason
    Liverpool - Arsenal (Carabao Cup): Friend
    Man Utd - Tottenham: Taylor
    Man City - Arsenal: Kavanagh
    Man Utd - Chelsea: Atkinson
    Man Utd - Arsenal: Dean
    Man City - Liverpool: Pawson
    Tottenham - Man City: Dean

Distribution of these matches in the EPL:

Dean: 2
    Pawson: 2
    Atkinson: 1
    Kavanagh: 1
    Taylor: 1
    Tierney: 1

10. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big test for Kavanagh. From a refereeing perspective, easily the most interesting assignment of the weekend for me. Of course, we have Jose vs Pep with Mike Dean in the middle, so the entertainment value of those three will at least make the Tottenham-Man City game one to record. :D

frankieboylampard and rh89 repped this.
  11. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The end of Villa-Brighton is some of the worst officiating I have seen in the EPL in a long long time. Shocked and embarrassed for Oliver.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  12. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    His intensity and presence didn’t match the temp of the players, almost as though he was just wanting the game to just run out. A valuable object lesson.

I did feel like the penalty call should have stood, rather than be reversed by var.

frankieboylampard and RefIADad repped this.
  13. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be interested to hear your reasoning. I also thought it was pretty bad (particularly given it was Oliver), but this is why from my perspective.
    • The 2nd caution was a simple foul in my opinion. It was a little late, but it really looked more like a relatively harmless heel clip to me. That's a pretty soft foul to give a 2nd caution, particularly given what we see as the threshold for a 2nd caution at the professional level in general and England in particular.
    • The overturned penalty was a mess all around. Yes, there was a huge amount of play-acting from the Villa player. However, I have a hard time based on what I saw thinking there wasn't a kick to the shin. I fully recognize the reaction was not proportionate to the foul in my opinion, but I still saw contact. It almost looked like the reasoning for overturning was, "Well, there was some contact, but we can't give that penalty because of how dramatic the reaction was."
    • Plus, if you do overrule that penalty, how is it not cautioned for simulation? It's either/or in that case. If it's not a penalty, doesn't it have to be a caution for simulation?
    Like you, I thought it was bad. I'm just wondering if we are thinking along the same lines for why we thought it was bad.

14. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #438 MassachusettsRef, Nov 21, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    Well, immediately prior to everything you listed @RefIADad , there was the incident that led to the caution for Grealish. It all started with a deliberate elbow to the head area by Trezegut. Nothing given for that but then Grealish gets booked for his reaction, trying to lift up the fallen player who he felt was play-acting. How does VAR not intervene for the elbow? It was miles worse than what Martial got sent off for earlier this year. Even if the contact itself wasn't as bad as portrayed, it was a deliberate strike to the head area off the ball at a stoppage. It's a red card. We have VAR to catch that. And Oliver should have been more on top of the situation in the first place.

So that gets let go, the temperate rises, and then you have the Lamptey situation. Oliver went from seemingly not thinking it was a foul to acknowledging it and applying advantage to coming back and issuing a 2CT all in the span of about 2.5 seconds. Even if he had it as a foul the whole time, nothing about the way he dealt with that situation said "red card." And, like you, I don't think it was close to a caution. So now one send off that could have been dealt with via video for one team (Villa) is ignored completely while a soft send off that is not reviewable is given to the other team (Brighton) all in the span of 45 seconds or so?

And then the penalty. Which was a penalty. And should have stayed a penalty. He whacked the hell out of his opponent's shin after getting a glancing touch on the ball. If PGMOL thinks this was correct to overturn (and there's a good chance they do, since Kavanagh and Oliver both agreed) then that's a sad statement on where we are in England and apparent confirmation that "I got the ball" truly is an excuse for anything in the defensive penalty area. [as an aside, while I agree with almost all your post I'm not sure where you're getting the need for a simulation caution if the call was overturned... there was contact].

So all of that plus what @chwmy said. He just didn't match the situation at all. And to be clear, while I'm embarrassed for Oliver I did say "officiating" deliberately. Kavanagh plays a huge role in two components of what happened. I would also note that in the 62', a potential handball penalty against Villa was not given because the AR determined the ball went out of play first, which is totally reasonable and very well might have been correct. But Kavanagh and Oliver did not halt play at all and gave no indication that the veracity of the AR's decision was correct. That will be overlooked but it was another instance of just poor VAR application. Again, the flag could have (likely was?) correct. But if it wasn't, Kavanagh and Oliver allowed a penalty to be missed because they just aren't good at using VAR.

chwmy repped this.
  15. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To @MassachusettsRef 's point, I didn't get a good look at the elbow incident as I had just returned after being out of the house. I'll have to watch that again on the replay, but I can definitely see where missing that would cause issues.

I didn't even think about the option of "he got the ball, so there's no penalty even though he whacked the shin." I was thinking in purely binary terms of "there's either contact or there isn't", which is why I went to "penalty or simulation". You are right - that's the third option and probaby the one they used to wave off the penalty. In my opinion, that's a bad overturn. Different situation obviously, but I had almost the exact same type of play happen in a U13 boys game. Defender swung his leg wildly and nicked the ball a little, but nailed the attacker's shin. I gave the penalty right away (not only did I see the contact, I heard the shoe to shinguard contact). Not surprisingly, defender's coach immediately starts yelling that the defender got the ball. I didn't respond to the coach, because it wasn't going to be worth it. The defender was careless, and getting the ball didn't change that.

16. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Excuse my ignorance, but is ball in/out reviewable? (Talking about the earlier ball out/handball).

The 2CT was really soft. Like bizarre. And, then the penalty was a penalty! Getting the ball and tripping the player is a PENALTY. They were two SEPARATE things.

As soon as Oliver went to the screen, it wasn’t going to be a penalty.

17. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's in the APP that lead to a PK or goal being scored.

18. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To add two points to this. It’s reviewable IF the VAR or Oliver had it as a penalty AND the whistle didn’t go the ball being out of play before the alleged penalty.

The second factor was satisfied here. We don’t know about the first. But we do know there wasn’t enough of a delay to properly check.

19. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    Something interesting a source told me about PGMOL's VAR project before it launched was they were going to look for "consistency in 'similar' decisions in the same round of matches". You can imagine the alarm bells ringing in my head. :)

So my theory is that Peter Bankes called Coote to review the penalty in Manchester United - West Brom because of it's (apparent) similarity to the overturned penalty in Aston Villa - Brighton.

Also the penalty in AVLBRI being overturned is widely seen as correct here (also amongst referees), but not the situation from MUNWBA. You can see what we are up against here!

20. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    Concerning the Lamptey ejection:

If I'm not mistaken I spoke about this before - English refereeing has a very special way of determining SYC offences (even having a special SYC pocket). The question is "did the player do sth stupid which could risk them being sent off?", if so, it is quite likely you'll be dismissed.

Clips:

VC at 44'? Yellow Card given
    Sequence at the end

refinDC repped this.
  21. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Something you don’t see everyday. Fulham penalty. Player slips nicks it with plant foot, then double touches with right foot. Indirect going out.

22. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    VAR in Leeds/Arsenal match does what it was initially intended to do. Pepe of Arsenal sent off after head-butting
    opponent behind the referee's back. However without VAR, this would most likely have been spotted by the AR.

PH

23. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I’m not convinced that gets dealt with pre VAR. At least not during the match.

24. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Back to the Future in Leeds/Arsenal match!
    84th minute, Taylor on goalline for Arsenal left side corner.

PH

25. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    But have you been an AR or linesman in a professional match?

PH

26. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I missing something? There’s no edict for ARs to ignore VC now and let the VAR handle it all. If an AR sees VC, they are obligated to inform the referee still and the red card gets shown. At that point, the VAR could correct the error if it’s not VC.

The VAR is insurance against the entire on-field team missing something. It doesn’t mean a duty of the AR has passed to the VAR.

If the AR didn’t act here before the VAR, that’s some pretty clear evidence they missed it. And that means they would have missed it without VAR.