2020-2021 England Referee Appointments (EPL+) [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Aug 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I genuinely don't know how to respond. So, other than this post, I won't.

LampLighter repped this.
  2. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Of course, when out of replies, press the hot key for the default "I have knowledge and you don't" reply.

Truth of the matter is, scientifically researched evidence does exist for on field officiating, and there is little reason to assume it disappears behind the table (with the discretionary liberties being there, even more so the past decade since various leg breaks) ...

Before running in circles and rambling on for longer, I leave it at that with my replies.

3. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    "The previous position was that if the referee saw an incident but took no action at the time then the FA were powerless to take retrospective action except in exceptional circumstances - for example the case of Ben Thatcher’s challenge on Pedro Mendes - that were dealt with as ‘bringing the game into disrepute’.

But in March 2013 there was controversy when Wigan’s Callum McManaman escaped action for a reckless horror tackle on Newcastle’s Massadio Haidara after the referee admitted seeing the challenge fly in but said he did not get a good view of the full severity of the challenge.

The FA set up an internal review and the next term introduced more flexible retrospective rules to avoid a repeat."

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport...w-retrospective-refereeing-work-what-11173785

4. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    There's no comparison of outrage in 2020, with social media firmly established in the mainstream, and 2010. Everything is amplified these days.

Even if *you* ignore social media, broadcasters and journalists don't, and the impact sinks in. Same reason cable news has more influence than the ratings would warrant -- people watch and respond.

5. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    #305 balu, Oct 19, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2020
    "The VAR in charge of Saturday's controversial Merseyside derby did not check for a red card for Jordan Pickford after forgetting rules state he could review the incident despite the offside in the build-up...

Remarkably, Sportsmail has been told Coote thought the offside — which he checked forensically — nullified what happened afterwards..."
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...eree-didnt-know-Jordan-Pickford-red-card.html

Amazing.

Beau Dure repped this.
  6. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I certainly realize it's a side issue and not relevant to whether Oliver and the VAR official screwed up, but as an Arsenal supporter, my recollection is much different than Delaney's with regard to the "outrage" expressed over the tackles on Eduardo and Ramsey. There was A LOT of talk from pundits about how Shawcross and Taylor "weren't those types of players" just "mistimed" tackles, etc., etc.

Thezzaruz and PuckVanHeel repped this.
  7. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone: we need to stop cut and pasting full articles or otherwise copyrighted material. Small passage and a link. Thank you!

refinDC, frankieboylampard and Beau Dure repped this.
  8. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    In the post-Vieira years Arsenal was often the (elite) team with the lowest fouls committed. The result of the controversy was, rather simple, an increase in discretionary powers by the relevant committee since those leg and ankle breaks of several Arsenal players.

They have used those increased liberties even in the opposite direction: Son was red carded for breaking Andre Gomes his leg (VAR was in use), which was very unfortunate and not a reckless, unnatural move by any means. Rather than hiding behind "the referee has seen and evaluated it", the red card was later voided.

9. Ghastly Officiating

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 12, 2017
    Can someone direct me to where this is spelled out? I went through the LotG and couldn't find a direct statement. A friend suggested it was in the Considerations but I am still struggling to find it.

10. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Matchweek 6

Aston Villa - Leeds
    Referee: Paul Tierney. Assistants: Dan Cook, Sian Massey-Ellis. Fourth official: Mike Dean. VAR: Stuart Attwell. Assistant VAR: Gary Beswick.

West Ham - Man City
    Referee: Anthony Taylor. Assistants: Gary Beswick, Adam Nunn. Fourth official: David Coote. VAR: Peter Bankes. Assistant VAR: Neil Davies.

Fulham - Crystal Palace
    Referee: Graham Scott. Assistants: Derek Eaton, Timothy Wood. Fourth official: Dean Whitestone. VAR: Jarred Gillett. Assistant VAR: Peter Kirkup.

Man Utd - Chelsea
    Referee: Martin Atkinson. Assistants: Lee Betts, Constantine Hatzidakis. Fourth official: Jonathan Moss. VAR: Stuart Attwell. Assistant VAR: Simon Long.

Liverpool - Sheffield
    Referee: Mike Dean. Assistants: Darren Cann, Mark Scholes. Fourth official: Andy Madley. VAR: Andre Marriner. Assistant VAR: Scott Ledger.

Southampton - Everton
    Referee: Kevin Friend. Assistants: Simon Beck, Eddie Smart. Fourth official: Steve Martin. VAR: Simon Hooper. Assistant VAR: James Mainwaring.

Wolves - Newcastle
    Referee: Lee Mason. Assistants: Marc Perry, Adrian Holmes. Fourth official: Darren Bond. VAR: Andy Madley. Assistant VAR: Richard West.

Arsenal - Leicester
    Referee: Craig Pawson. Assistants: Ian Hussin, Harry Lennard. Fourth official: Graham Scott. VAR: Paul Tierney. Assistant VAR: Stephen Child.

Brighton - West Brom
    Referee: Jonathan Moss. Assistants: Dan Robathan, Neil Davies. Fourth official: Gavin Ward. VAR: Martin Atkinson. Assistant VAR: Sian Massey-Ellis.

Burnley - Tottenham
    Referee: Michael Oliver. Assistants: Stuart Burt, Simon Bennett. Fourth official: Kevin Friend. VAR: Craig Pawson. Assistant VAR: Adam Nunn.

Atkinson for the Big Six clash, Taylor, Oliver, and Pawson with interesting games. Dean now seems clear to take charge of Liverpool.

11. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    "Big Six" matches:

Arsenal - Liverpool (Community Shield): Marriner
    Chelsea - Liverpool: Tierney
    Liverpool - Arsenal: Pawson
    Tottenham - Chelsea (Carabao Cup): Mason
    Liverpool - Arsenal (Carabao Cup): Friend
    Man Utd - Tottenham: Taylor
    Man City - Arsenal: Kavanagh
    Man Utd - Chelsea: Atkinson

Distribution of these matches in the EPL:

Atkinson: 1
    Kavanagh: 1
    Pawson: 1
    Taylor: 1
    Tierney: 1

12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are you asking, exactly?

I also wouldn't get too hung up on a tabloid using the verb "forgetting" here. It seems deliberately sensationalist

13. Ghastly Officiating

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 12, 2017
    My question is where the specification that even if a play is offside, you can still give misconduct for a challenge that occurs after the offside offense. I’m having trouble locating where that is spelled out.

14. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Why would VC have anything at all to do with whether there was an OS infraction?

15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh. Two answers, then.

First, before one of the more recent re-writes, there was language either in Law 5 or 12 about the referee disciplining players "according to the nature of the offence" or something like that. Honestly not sure if that's still in the text but I am sure that the principle isn't gone.

But second and more importantly, this is still violent conduct if it's not SFP, right? You're looking for an argument or affirmation that we can punish a tackle after an offside decision, which is a specific argument that is analogous to the broader principle that we can punish violence after play is stopped. And, well, we can and do. If Pickford had punched Van Dijk in the face, I don't think you'd be looking for any specification in the text of the Laws.

By the way, the two paragraphs above relate to the SFP v VC question that I earlier said (and still contend) is largely irrelevant, because I think both routes are perfectly valid here. But if the "nature of the offence" language doesn't suffice for someone, then it's still VC per the second paragraph.

16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My second paragraph presented in question form and as one sentence!

Barciur and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  17. Ghastly Officiating

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 12, 2017
    This answer was what I was looking for. I remember reading it phrased out somewhere, I just wanted to see if it was still around.

18. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said in a different forum, the Pickford challenge has to be a send-off. Whether you document the send-off as violent conduct or serious foul play, the result is the same (send-off and, in England, minimum three-match ban). I realize this is probably semantics, but absent any other information I would think SFP could be a proper categorization. Pickford went into the challenge assuming the ball was still "live". I think of violent conduct more as I'm running with you behind the play and I punch you or the ball is five yards out of play and I stomp on your leg as you are on the ground. Even though this play was eventually ruled as offside, Pickford was challenging for the ball.

But in any case, the categorization of the send-off's nature is technical and administrative. The main idea is that Pickford should have been sent off regardless of the offside ruling.

19. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Those of us still left in the journalism industry thank you.

Bubba Atlanta, RefIADad, roby and 3 others repped this.
  20. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    "And Sportsmail understands the [Pickford] incident is almost certain to be one of a number of incidents reviewed by the Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL)... at an annual meeting that takes place half way through the season.

Part of the discussion... focuses on dissecting certain decisions that have taken place during the season, particularly ones that have caused confusion.

Indeed, last weekend's contentious ruling at Goodison Park is highly likely to be selected as an example during the meeting scheduled for the early part of next year."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ot-send-Jordan-Pickford-Merseyside-derby.html

21. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    And they'll decide it probably should've been a red card, and then it'll happen again to someone else and the keeper will either get nothing or a yellow card. And on and on we go.

22. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    No refereeing content (other than hearing a neon-yellow-jersey-wearing 4O addressed as "highlighter") but it is Premier League, or a simulation thereof -- my wife and I have really been enjoying Teddy Lasso on the Apple channel.

rh89 repped this.
  23. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Non-soccer referee friend had a stumper for me, so I figured someone here must know.

What’s the story behind the differently colored and patterned AR flags in England? Is there an origin story there?

24. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
  25. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    The same way Pickford's assault on van Dyke was not a red card! :mad:

PH