2019 Week 26 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by ManiacalClown, Aug 28, 2019.

1. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    08/28/19

Montreal Impact vs Vancouver Whitecaps
    Saputo Stadium (8PM ET)
    REF: Ismail Elfath
    AR1: Kyle Atkins
    AR2: Claudiu Badea
    4TH: Pierre-Luc Lauziere
    VAR: Geoff Gamble
    AVAR: Robert Schaap

08/31/19

New York Red Bulls vs Colorado Rapids
    Red Bull Arena (7PM ET)
    REF: Rubiel Vazquez
    AR1: Brian Dunn
    AR2: Benjamin Hall-Volpenhein
    4TH: Baldomero Toledo
    VAR: Jon Freemon
    AVAR: Kyle Longville

Columbus Crew vs Chicago Fire
    MAPFRE Stadium (7:30PM ET)
    REF: Drew Fischer
    AR1: Jason White
    AR2: Oscar Mitchell-Carvalho
    4TH: Yusri Rudolf
    VAR: Caleb Mendez Rosendo Mendoza
    AVAR: Eric Weisbrod

Montreal Impact vs D.C. United
    Saputo Stadium (7:30PM ET)
    REF: Allen Chapman
    AR1: Adam Wienckowski
    AR2: Jeremy Kieso
    4TH: Elvis Osmanovic
    VAR: Kevin Terry Jr
    AVAR: Craig Lowry

New England Revolution vs Toronto FC
    Gillette Stadium (7:30PM ET)
    REF: Tim Ford
    AR1: Kathryn Nesbitt
    AR2: Gjovalin Bori
    4TH: Alejandro Mariscal
    VAR: Ted Unkel
    AVAR: Robert Schaap

Philadelphia Union vs Atlanta United
    Talen Energy Stadium (7:30PM ET)
    REF: Robert Sibiga
    AR1: Matthew Nelson
    AR2: Kevin Klinger
    4TH: Eric Tattersall
    VAR: Jorge Gonzalez
    AVAR: Cory Richardson

FC Dallas vs FC Cincinnati
    Toyota Stadium (8PM ET)
    REF: Guido Gonzales Jr
    AR1: Frank Anderson
    AR2: Logan Brown
    4TH: Kevin Broadley
    VAR: Kevin Stott
    AVAR: Kevin Terry

Sporting Kansas City vs Houston Dynamo
    Children’s Mercy Park (8:30PM ET)
    REF: Alan Kelly
    AR1: Micheal Barwegen
    AR2: Ian McKay
    4TH: Lukasz Szpala
    VAR: Edvin Jurisevic
    AVAR: TJ Zablocki

Vancouver Whitecaps vs New York City FC
    BC Place (10PM ET)
    REF: Marcos DeOliveira
    AR1: Mike Rottersman
    AR2: Apolinar Mariscal
    4TH: Alex Chilowicz
    VAR: Ricardo Salazar
    AVAR: Rene Parra

Portland Timbers vs Real Salt Lake
    Providence Park (10:30PM ET)
    REF: Nima Saghafi
    AR1: CJ Morgante
    AR2: Adam Garner
    4TH: Ramy Touchan
    VAR: Geoff Gamble
    AVAR: Chris Elliott

San Jose Earthquakes vs Orlando City
    Avaya Stadium (10:30PM ET)
    REF: Silviu Petrescu
    AR1: Ian Anderson
    AR2: Felisha Mariscal
    4TH: Joe Dickerson
    VAR: Victor Rivas
    AVAR: Michael Kampmeinert

09/01/19

Seattle Sounders vs LA Galaxy
    CenturyLink Field (6:30PM ET)
    REF: Christopher Penso
    AR1: Corey Rockwell
    AR2: Jeremy Hanson
    4TH: Elijio Arreguin
    VAR: Jose Carlos Rivero
    AVAR: Eduardo Mariscal

Los Angeles FC vs Minnesota United
    Banc of California Stadium (10:30PM ET)
    REF: Armando Villarreal
    AR1: Corey Parker
    AR2: Jeffrey Greeson
    4TH: Alex Chilowicz
    VAR: Victor Rivas
    AVAR: Joshua Patlak

2. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the first half of tonight's game:

Elfath whistles for a penalty for Vancouver, who are at that point ahead 0-1. Bush saves the penalty, but the rebound falls to Ricketts, who smashes it home.

BUT WAIT! Ricketts was obviously encroaching when the penalty was taken. With the VAR protocols, this means Gamble sends down a review.

BUT WAIT! Bush was also obviously encroaching off of the goal line at the moment of the kick. Now Elfath has to order the penalty retaken. Correct outcome.

BUT WAIT! Elfath did NOT caution Bush for the encroachment. Surely this was a mistake? Law 14 is written somewhat ambiguously. Mentions the yellow when it's JUST the goalkeeper and mentions the yellow(s) when it's the goalkeeper AND the kicker but makes no specific mention where it discusses other scenarios with offenses by both teams.

For me, the intention of the Law is that the goalkeeper should still be cautioned here, but I'm only about 95% confident and wanted to confirm.

fischietto repped this.
  3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was ready to agree with you. Re-reading Law 14 gave me headaches, as usual, but I think it leads me to this clause being operative:

• a player of both teams offends the Laws of the Game, the kick is retaken unless a player commits a more serious offence (e.g. illegal feinting);

This is the only clause that accounts for a goalkeeper and an opponent other than the kicker simultaneously infringing. And it doesn’t explicitly say the goalkeeper needs a caution, even though every other clause does. You could argue it’s an oversight. But you can also argue it’s a deliberately placed freebie for goalkeepers because IFAB didn’t want to put referees in a position where they either had to have imbalance (one caution even though both players infringed) or they had to sanction something as misconduct (teammate encroachment) just because another independent condition was met.

Remember, goalkeeper encroachment isn’t inherently a cautionable offence. It’s only an offence when certain conditions are met. Namely and most typically, that condition is that the ball does not enter the net. From a strict reading of Law 14, a second condition seems to be that there is not a punishable simultaneous offence by a teammate of the kicker.

Whether Elfath and team processed all this in real-time or they got lucky while trying to bend the laws when they really didn’t need to is anyone’s guess. As I implied up top, I would have likely got this wrong (I probably would have leaned toward cautioning both).

fischietto and ManiacalClown repped this.
  4. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Could it be that Elfath just ordered the retake due to players from both teams encroaching early in the penalty area and not due to one player from the the attacking team encroaching and the goal kicker leaving early off his line?

In that case no caution is necessary.

Looking at the video, you can make a case for encroachment by the Montreal defenders as well.

Do we know for sure he ordered the retake due to the goal keeper encroaching?

Or Elfath just doesn't know the Laws of the Game or has his own version? Which just might be the most plausible answer of them all. He has done it before where he has laughably applied the Laws incorrectly in an MLS game.

5. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Opinions aside, I think the fact that there are at least one or two MTL players also slightly encroaching is enough to make the correct restart a retake even if Bush had not also encroached. I'm not sure if Bush's offense is considered to be more serious, but I would suppose it must be. Otherwise, you'd have situations where the referee could opt to avoid cautioning the goalkeeper (assuming no violation by the other team) as long as one teammate was even slightly encroaching. Clearly the Law is not written to reward a team for violating Law 14 multiple times. That leads me to conclude that Bush's offense was the one considered on review to "cancel out" Ricketts'. So either Law 14 does not require a caution due to the imbalance of not normally requiring one for what Ricketts did, or the crew had a collective brain fart. Guess we'll find out in a week for sure.

6. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RBNY vs COL: Steve Taylor at AVAR instead of Kyle Longville

7. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Clear drafting from IFAB strikes again . . .

Since GK offenses are deemed to be as serious as kicker offenses if a goal is not scored, it seems odd that the Laws actually intended to let the keeper off the hook if an opposing non-kicker offended (i.e., committed a lesser offense. (It is odd (or perhaps classic IFAB) that they address the almost impossible simultaneous infraction by a kicker and GK, but fail to address the likely infraction by a GK and an encroaching attacker.) Of course, none of this exists but for the really stupid idea of cautioning GKs for timing mistakes. I'm hoping that IFAB realizes that after the WWC silliness and removes that caution in the next update.

8. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Seattle-LA second half. 6 goals. 4 subs. Only 3 mins of stoppage time. Not that it matters a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, but that seemed woefully little to me

gaolin repped this.
  9. gaolin

gaolin Member+

Apr 21, 2019
    Watching USL Championship match between Austin Bold vs Rio Grande Valley and during the 44' minute, there was a perceived hand-ball by the GK outside the box.

The GK protests that it was his knee/thigh but the ref wasn't having it.

Incident starts at 0:20.

10. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    From the refs angle it looks like the arm, since the leg and the outstretched arm look like a flat picture from his angle. It's easier to see from the camera angle, from the ARs distance I would never feel confident telling the referee I saw 100% differently.

gaolin repped this.
  11. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    You're generally not supposed to add time for goals, are you?
    So 3 minutes for four subs seems pretty reasonable, unless there were injuries or addition time wasting.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  12. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    The number of goals doesn't make a difference unless they all featured excessive celebrations. Four subs at less than a minute each is perfectly reasonable.

13. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Long ago, when stoppage time was first regularly displayed publicly at the international level, FIFA guidance was 30 seconds per sub unless something unusual happened. I’ve always operated from that guidance. Six stand alone subs—which, all things being equal, is the most common result for a second half—is a baseline 3 minutes. I then adjust up or down from that based on what actually happened.

So a half with 4 subs that also had something else (let’s say an injury or a VAR check or an excessive celebration), should fit perfectly at three minutes. If there were multiple “other things,” then sure, you’d be looking at more. But without anything else, six goals isn’t justification to go higher, as the last two posts point out.

Scrabbleship repped this.
  14. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    I swear I'm the only referee that actually stops their watch to calculate additional time while everyone else basically just guesses. I've never understood this practice, especially considering most referees at a state level and above have fancy watches that specifically are designed for this.

15. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can count on one hand the number of times I tried to do that and actually remembered to restart my watch every time.

IASocFan, ArgylleRef, Ismitje and 3 others repped this.
  16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, everything has an element of guessing doesn’t it?

Let’s say you have a sub up for entry. When do you stop your watch and when do you restart it? Is it from the point the ball goes out of play until it’s back in play? If so, that’s too long, because there was always going to be time the ball was out of play that didn’t need to be accounted for—the sub only adds to that time, it is not the cause of all of it. If you go from the moment you beckon to the moment of entry, that’s likely more accurate in most cases, but definitely not a science. Same goes for injuries that coincide with free kicks—how much of the “delay” is truly time lost versus how much is just normal?

There’s just a margin of error no matter how precise you try to be. That’s why I think most referees don’t follow the path you use, except in cases like clear prolonged injuries or, now, long VAR delays.

IASocFan and socal lurker repped this.
  17. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I don't tend to stop unless I expect it to be long, but when I do, I love the fact that the ref ap I use on my watch vibrates periodically during the stoppage so you can't forget to restart.

IASocFan and RefIADad repped this.
  18. wguynes

wguynes Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Altoona, IA
    So, if a there's a major incident at 33:15 and you have stopped your watch for 1 minute, you're recording the incident as the "33rd minute" instead of the correct "34th minute." The ones that run their watch continuously and add time are going to be correctly aligned for incident reports.

The Spintso watches I own actually have dual clocks. One can be stopped and the vibration alert is keyed on that. The other runs continuously, resets itself to <duration_of_half> at start of second half, and can be used to calculate the exact minute of an incident.

19. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The referee watch app on my Garmin works in a pretty similar manner. The "big numbers" count up so I can record the minute of incidents. The smaller numbers on top of the big numbers counts down from the time of the half to 0:00 and shows how much "playing time" is left. The bottom time shows the amount of stoppage time. My watch also buzzes every 10 seconds (as does the Spintso).

Since we're supposed to have stoppage time in "full minutes" in USSF matches, I generally round up to the next minute unless I have less than 10 seconds past the minute (i.e. 1:08 on my stoppage time will be one minute, while 1:28 would be two minutes). When I do high school matches, I just switch the setting so the countdown timer is the "big number" in the middle of the watch.

20. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Is that official anywhere?

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

22. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I've seen that somewhere. I wouldn't just make something like that up. Perhaps it was in something unofficial, but I know I've read it somewhere.

23. wguynes

wguynes Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Altoona, IA
    Regardless whether rounding up or down, the referee who stops their watch will start seeing unreconcilable mismatches once the stoppage reaches 2 minutes instead 1 minute.

I agree that all of this is a small thing but the OP was casting [very light] doubt on why anyone would not stop their watch.

24. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes sense. When I run my second watch, I always let it run no matter what in the event I mess something up on my Garmin (shouldn't happen since it buzzes every 10 seconds when I've "stopped" the watch for added time. Even in a high school match where I'm keeping official time, I always have one watch just run. Absolute worst case is I can come close on "added time" (although I do have one AR also stop one of their watches as a backup unless we have a scoreboard clock).

I just didn't want anyone to think I was just pulling stuff out of thin air. I'm fine with being wrong on matters of opinion and interpretation - that's why I monitor and respond in this forum. I do NOT want to lose credibility by making stuff up or by anyone thinking I'm doing so.