2019 Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by TrueCrew, Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point, which I didn't think was this arcane, was that if Toronto awarded us the "right of first refusal" for a given player, then by definition they HELD the "right off first refusal" for that player since, by definition, you cannot give someone something that you do not own.

THEREFORE saying that "speculation is" that they held the rights to some guy and that Columbus now has same isn't speculation at all. It's a fact.

We obviously don't know who, and there are lots of possibilities ed as to how they ended up with them (could be a discovery claim, if that's transferable, could be an unsigned draft pick, could be a homegrown of some variety, could be a player who went overseas but Toronto retained his rights, many possibilities).

What we do know is that it's not "speculation" to say that Toronto really did hold someone's rights and they tossed them to Columbus.

That's as clear as I can be and now I am done talking about it.

Minnman and Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  2. GoCrew1996

GoCrew1996 Member+

Jan 20, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Sorry I do not know the specifics of how it all works, but I do know that it is a player they were negotiating with who we also wanted to negotiate with. They are now NOT negotiating with him and we are. It may be as simple as them promising to stop talking to him (without anybody else being prevented from doing so). It could also be somebody that only they had the rights to, but that wasn't the impression that I got (I could be wrong because it wasn't specifically said).

If any of that makes any sense.

Bill Archer repped this.
  3. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cannot refrain from saying that, while it might "upset" some people to learn that the team is being run in an intelligent way by mature professionals instead of knee jerk half-drunk fans, there still are some of us who think this is the right,indeed the only rational,way to proceed from here.

I would only add that from my lonely east side seats, some of these guys would be lucky to be drawing a USL paycheck instead of working as independent contractors at a Swatch watch kiosk someplace or possibly the night manager at a Cinnabon.

Demanding that Caleb win with them or be gone is simply absurd.

ibrew, Dan Milton, CybrSlydr and 3 others repped this.
  4. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha! I see now. My apologies for being so dense.

5. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    Waiting for @hangthadj in 3, 2, 1........

CybrSlydr repped this.
  6. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listen here, monkey man, I'm full-drunk, and you best respect that.

Or buy me another drink...

As noted by hang, I don't think any of us ever believed they'd cut Porter loose this season. Hell, I'd wager he'll get at least three season to prove himself (see Cleveland Browns, 2016-2018). So... you won't see me being upset about CB9K keeping the gig through 2019 (though I would prefer he go — Ed.).

That being said, it has been interesting to see how he's handled this season. For me, it's good to see how a coach manages adversity: injuries, call-ups, poor form, all that. I've got to say, Porter's performance has been disheartening and solidified some of my beliefs that he ain't the guy for the job.

But this isn't the Fire Porter thread, so I'll leave it at that.

hangthadj, Draghignazzo and LaMacchia repped this.
  7. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2182 chr1st, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    I can live with losing; that's part of the game. It's more in the manner that we're doing it.

Don't have the players to run Berhalter's system? You're the manager... change things up!
    Don't think most of these guys rate? Great, run out the youngins' to see if they're worth keeping around.

I think few people thought we'd be this bad, but that's fine. Just show us some sign that you're trying to get a result or building for next season. You know, DO SOMETHING.

EDIT:
    Crap, I lied. I was still going on about Porter. Mea culpa.

LaMacchia, hangthadj and zman31 repped this.
  8. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any time at all

That to me is the telling point. How does he handle all this? Hes taking a pretty brutal beating on and off the field and the fact that his job is likely secure unless we find he was taking regular trips soon the Lolita Express to Pedo Island isn't as important as whether he ends up beating his dog.

chr1st repped this.
  9. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It's hardly a revolutionary idea anywhere outside of the Big Soccer Columbus Crew Board to hold to an idea that a coach can face several challenges to make his job more difficult, and at the same time adapt poorly to the majority of these challenges leading to criticisms of his job performance.

Yet, here we are...

10. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any documented proof that the mysterious GoCrew1996 is indeed a man?

11. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    You would and may have said the same things about Sigi in 07. You have to give him 3 years minimum and you know it deep down.

12. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard that on a well-known Crew Supporters FB Group, a popular argument circulating goes:

“If you are not better than the professionals, then you should not be allowed to boo.”

Just leaving this stuff here like a brick of pink slips.

13. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes

14. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I could tell you who it is, but I'd have to kill you.

15. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys, relax on wanting so many changes so soon. This isn't FIFA or Football Manager, you can't change an entire squad in a single window or two. MLS has mechanisms to cut larger portions of your roster in the offseason, as I suspect will happen. This season is a dumpster fire, and with integral US internationals Zardes and Trapp coming back, as well as adding Room and Diaz, I think things will pick up, a bit.

As far as Diaz goes, I don't know much about him. However, for a $1 million transfer fee, I expect him to be more than a 'prospect'. I expect him to start and make an impact this season. How big of an impact? Hard to say. Let's not act like this is Cristian Martinez or Eduardo Sosa, who we probably spent, what, $50,000 transfer fees on?

west ham sandwich and hangthadj repped this.
  16. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are of course correct. At the same time anyone who makes their living being paid to play a game k ow that one of the downsides is that sometimes the paying customers exercise the right they paid money for to let you know that you stink.

LaMacchia and TRUJDUB repped this.
  17. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    We don't need a full squad makeover, just the midfield and RB.

I expect Room will be an above average MLS keeper but he should be no worse than average. Valenzuela, Sauro, and Mensah are probably in the club's plans for next year. We have Francis for adequate backup if Valenzuela is sluggish and Keita/Abubacar/Crognale for backup CBs.

Trapp will most likely still be starting but his partner is up in the air. Clark/Artur/Guzman aren't very good by modern MLS standards. We need an AM and probably 2 good wingers. Diaz has 1 career goal and 6 assists so it's too early to proclaim him a starter for 2020. Zardes is likely to be back, and probably alone in a 1 striker formation.

TrueCrew repped this.
  18. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Porter has done poorly in implementing whatever his system is. (Its not as clearly identifiable as berhalter's). If it's because of injuries, then maybe he should have switched to a win no matter what system. Like 2 strikers or 3 in the back. Even berhalter in his first year was ok with going to that once or twice.

Porter has switched formations and systems in the past. The year he won the cup he made the switch to the 4-3-3, making nagbe the player he is. I dont know why he isnt now.

That said, this team, outside the defense, is awful. Maybe this is the win no matter what system. Just so bad without higuain, trapp, zardes, and steffen. I'd give him a year and see if it's any better.

chr1st, Bill Archer and Kyle Crew repped this.
  19. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This is foolish verging on nonsense. You don't "have to" give any coach three years minimum. Of the 23 coaches in MLS this season only 6 or seven are going into their 3rd or more year with the same team. Turnover for coaches is typical and expected every professional sport because results matter.

Tenure.png

This has been spoken to before. The average tenure of coaches in major American professional sports is roughly 3.5 years. This takes into consideration the many coaches who have had much longer tenure because they win. Further more the median is well below 3 everywhere but the NFL. Do we need to mention that a higher percentage of teams make the playoffs in MLS than these other leagues.

The obvious point here is results matter. American sports has always been a results oriented business. A manager has every right in any sport to negotiate a 3, 5, or ten year contract if they wish. But any serious manager with even the slightest bit of self awareness knows that results matter. These results may be in terms of wins, or in terms of developing players but you need to show something.

Any serious manager or fan of any professional sport should understand 3 years is not guaranteed, nor should it ever be. It needs to be earned. This is the simplest reality of sports in the 21st century.

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  20. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who do y'all think is the international ' right of first refusal' from the Toronto trade? Off the top of my head, Toronto was rumored to has made an offer to Arjen Robben....

21. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robben has retired.

crew2112 repped this.
  22. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Virtually every player on the roster has had a chance to prove their worth with lengthy minutes in several games. Most have not done well.

Bill Archer repped this.
  23. redi44crew

redi44crew Member+

Mar 27, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You make very valid points. The counterpoint to guaranteed tenure is that dumpster fire in the "Nati" where they are offering only 18 months... with not
    takers.

I believe that DeBoer had a 3y deal and lasted 10 weeks, at Crystal fookin Palace.

Confidence placed in a coach before the season does not always equal the confidence in the coach after the season starts.

hangthadj repped this.
  24. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    I used to be in the top tier of Sheep League and then my DP player sat out a season in a contract dispute, my coach took to drinking and my goalie had an affair with the centerback's wife. That, or I left Big Soccer for a few years and got relegated each year.

25. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Curtis has been chasing several guys on the allocation list but that couldn't be it.

Hes also reportedly been chasing a couple Eurpean wingers. Nobody knows who