2019 FSU

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Tom81, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Lagadema

Lagadema Member

Oct 13, 2018
    I wasn’t “saying” anything. I stated a fact.

2. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not have much confidence in FSU beating UCLA. They were the one loss this season where the young women were completely dominated. It should be played in LA, but FSU lucked out with the one seed, maybe that will help. I am satisfied with an elite eight for this team. There is a player that absolutely cannot be lined up at outside back against UCLA, or anywhere for that matter, but she will probably start, just hopefully not on the back line. After last years completely utterly remarkable run to the title it feels as if the luck is up. I hope for a great game and maybe a win for the Noles!

McSkillz and Number007 repped this.
  3. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    At this stage you need the breaks. I hope you get them.

4. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've had a good run these last several games(UCLA that is) but we're also very inconsistent at times. Sometimes we look like a completely different team out there in some matches. The traveling during Thanksgiving is tiring and zaps out some of the energy from the players, we are flying all the way to Florida which is a long plane ride. The ladies on this team have been in this situation every season where we have to travel to the east coast to face an elite 8 matchup though so it's not anything new to them. I would say that the Noles have a very good advantage as a result.

The games that we play late into the last NCAA rounds are always very closely contested though(last season we went all the way to PKs with North Carolina) so the Noles will have to score a couple of goals since it can be extremely difficult to get a shutout with us. While we have consistently have had dangerous offensive players, our defense isn't the best in the country and our goalkeepers are good but not as great as some of the other goalkeepers in the country.

Who knows how the game will end up going but hopefully it's entertaining and enthralling matchup.

derbarkasmann, Crazyhorse and HeadSpun repped this.
  5. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will be a good one. I hope it's streamed somewhere where a non-subscriber can watch. The team I follow got two shots at FSU, one off a corner kick and the other a PK, and got two shots at UCLA. I assume that in this game, each team will get more than two.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  6. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Just so you and everyone else knows...everygame is streamed free off the ncaa site. Go to ncaa.com. Drop down menu to w soccer. Click on the link and you watch for free

Crazyhorse repped this.
  7. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except for Stanford games. They forgot to turn off the switch that requires you to be a Pac12 network subscriber. Seriously.

8. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Us and UCLA aside, the statistics for Stanford look like a video game.
    Against a good (not great) PSU side they held a mere 35-1 Shots advantage.
    They also held a 14-0 SOG advantage; and oh yeah, a 13-0 Corner Kick advantage.
    That's not impressive!:confused:

9. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    FSU is very fortunate to have Mark Krikorian.
    For my money, he is the best coach in the NCAA women's soccer.
    Evidence.
    1. We play in a conference dominated by UNC. UNC is undeniably
    the most dominant program in women's soccer.
    2. Despite that, we have won ACCT in 11, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 18.
    3. We won ACC regular season in 12 and 14.
    4. We have advanced to at least the Elite 8 13 out of the last 14 years.
    5. The facts in #s 2, 3 and 4 suggest Mark is the best at getting his teams
    ready for the post season.
    6. Oh 2 nattys to go. 2014 and 2018 nattys.
    Editorial note:
    Mark has done this while competing against the built in academic rep advantages of Stanford, UCLA, USC, UVA and UNC.
    UNC also has a huge tradition/legacy advantage.
    Breaking into the upper echelon of a women's sport is hard. FSU has done that under the guidance of Mark Krikorian. Kudos!

10. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They once were, but this is deniable now. They and Stanford, over the last 10 years, have been pretty equal overall.

McSkillz and Number007 repped this.
  11. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I was speaking historically.

Right now, (last 10 years) I'd put Stanford and FSU right at the top.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  12. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    It all depends what you want. As a fan, he is great. Not sure how good a player developer he is, but as a fan, you would not care. I know quite a few parents of players who would not agree with you !! He is one of a few coaches i think are top class. Interestingly, they have differing approaches, goals and principles

13. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    How dare you to presume to come on the FSU thread and tell me "you would not care."
    On the FSU thread, I chose to outline a few of Mark's more remarkable accomplishments. You chose to come on here and 'pee in our cereal'.
    "Not sure how good a player developer he is"
    Let's see Steve (a coach I admire) gets 3 or 4 blue chippers for every one FSU gets. It could be more than that. The 2014 FSU team had no American players who would go on to USWNT.
    UVA had 2 current USWNTers in Brian and Sonnett.
    We both had many other good players, but none apparently worthy of USWNT.
    Dagny Brynjarsdottir remains one of my favorite players, but I doubt she would make the the USWNT. Neither would Emma Koivisto, Cheyna Williams, Megan Campbell and so forth.
    Lest we forget, UVA had some pretty good 'other' players to include Latsko, McNabb, Doniak, Colaprico to name a few.

I think Steve does an excellent job of developing players. So does Mark.
    I think UVA players have had a leg up for USWNT due to the Swanson connection.
    FSU has only 1 USWNTer, Casey Short, and she got left off (a travesty IMO) the WWC roster.

Bobby Bowden used to rave about Bear Bryant. He was famous for saying "He could take his and beat yours, or he could take yours and beat his."
    That's the way I feel about Mark.
    You don't go to 13 of 14 elite 8s on luck. I think Steve is an excellent coach.
    I just happen to believe that Mark is the best.

This year is a perfect example of it. We have a couple of glaring holes. Mark game planned and changed positions of players to find the best combo.
    I've seen you and Val suggest Steve did not do that so well for UVA. (McClernon's position was one such example)

I still hope UVA wins their natty, just not at FSU's expense. Good luck with your daughter, or whatever

14. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure there is a coach on earth able to keep all the parents happy.

Number007 repped this.
  15. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    The last sentence got cut off.
    It should have read, "Good luck with your daughter, or whatever your close connection to UVA is." (no sarcasm)
    These young ladies on all these teams work their butt off and deserve our respect.

16. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    its very deniable. I will go so fart as to say
    I think you have taken a throw aware comment personally.. As a fan I would not care either. As fans, we want our teams to win. Nothing wrong with that. We dont look beyond that because that what we have Apologies for any offense caused.

17. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    some do, some dont. That is just reality.

18. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    But i will say that some parents have a legitimate gripe. Not all of them are crazy. There are a lot of lies an half truths told. Kids are expendable to most coaches

19. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    As i read your comment . i realize how bad the Internet is at reading intent .I would not know is a statement. as in I DONT.I have no good data to say oine way or the other as Im not close to him or his program .you choose to take it as a slight. It not . In all honesty, I only really post things I know or have personal knowledge of. So again. I think this is a case of crossed wires.

Like i said, I dont believe in best. I said

He is one of a few coaches i think are top class. Interestingly, they have differing approaches, goals and principles

Clearly that was not enough for you.

I hope you win as many games as makes you happy. UVa beat you head to had . TWICE. ;)

20. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    There are plenty of crazy parents. But at the same time there is just as many coaches who over promise to get a kid on board. Coaches, in my honest opinion, care almost zero about the players. They are recruiting and coaching to keep their jobs. Anyone who would argue this has not been through it

Number007 repped this.
  21. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Agree. There are also plenty of sane ones. Maybe i phrased it wrong, but that is why i differentiated between a fans perspective and an insiders. Bot may well have different goals. Fans want the team to win and dont necessarily see the rest.

22. ping

ping Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Wow. I understand your point but I see it differently and I have "been through it" both individually and with my children. I totally disagree with the "coaches...care almost zero about the players." I generally believe that most coaches care about most of their players. Coaching to keep your job and caring about players don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Being a coach is no different than being a teacher, I would argue they are teachers of sport. They both have IMPOSSIBLE tasks, namely meeting the individual needs of 30+ people while also trying to meet the needs of the group. Those needs vary considerably and range from emotional support to teaching the subject material(soccer in this instance) to competing collectively and on and on. When those needs come into conflict coaches have difficult decisions to make and individuals are often hurt by decisions that favor the group or another player.

We struggle to meet the needs of even our closest friends/spouses/relatives 100% of the time. Multiply that challenge by 30 and people will surely get hurt along the way.

I would argue that overall coaches fall into a bell curve when dealing with issues above. Very few are great, most are average, and some are terrible. Even the greats aren't perfect. But I believe most of them care considerably for their players.

Crazyhorse, Glove Stinks and blissett repped this.
  23. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Being a teacher and having to deal with a considerable amount of bias against the category in my professional life, I appreciate your point of view. I have to admit i have about 0 experience of US soccer coaches, but what you wrote looked very reasonable and resounded with me (probably because I caught some similarities with my job).

Crazyhorse repped this.
  24. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Classy by Deyna!
    So disappointing but Deyna left a good feeling at the end when she came over to the stands to give a little bow and applaud the home fans, her post game comments make me proud.

“I’ll remember everything; the winning, the losing, my teammates that I’ve played with since my freshman year. For me, these past four years have been the best years of my life. Sharing these with a great coaching staff, great teammates, my best friends. For sure being here at Florida State was the best decision that I have ever made in my life. I’m so proud to be a Nole.”

25. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    A disclaimer to above post. It was copied from FSU message board on Warchant from a poster Squiffynole.
    I met him once. He is a Tally local, goes to many sporting events and takes great pictures.

I was impressed with the gratitude and graciousness of Deyna. Wish nothing but the best for her going forward.

Look forward to a very entertaining and athletic CC.

Glove Stinks, Crazyhorse and blissett repped this.