Post-match: [2019 FIFA World Cup U-20 : Quarter-finals ] Korea vs Senegal 2019/06/08

Discussion in 'Korea' started by jessypjs, Jun 8, 2019.

1. CanadianGook

CanadianGook Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Wasnt that great. We sucked bad.. just need to watch the injury time of the second half and extra time and then the pens.

2. jk1802

jk1802 Member

Jan 22, 2010
    NYC
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    first half sucked but it was an entertaining match overall with all the drama from an objective standpoint

soul24rage repped this.
  3. victoriabrono

victoriabrono Red Card

Nov 30, 2018
    Total waste of military exemption given to Kim Jung Min. Still living off of the "next KSY" talk.

4. gohangook

gohangook Member

Aug 4, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Haha, fair enough. Do you know any sites for replay?

5. sogyeokdong

sogyeokdong Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 3, 2015
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    What an insane match. Not the cleanest result but the amount of heart shown by these kids was inspiring

6. Kenny South

Kenny South Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    South Korea
    May 25, 2019

Fox Sports 2 replaying this match.

7. gohangook

gohangook Member

Aug 4, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    From Canada so wont be able catch that

8. cappuccino_kid

Oct 23, 2001
    Charlotte NC
  9. Bluewings21

Bluewings21 Member

Suwon Samsung Bluewings
    Apr 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Damn. What a pity I wasn't able to wake up early to catch the action live.

So proud of team effort.

10. PacMan over again

South Korea
    Mar 4, 2018
    Damn those Senegalese look like giants :eek:

Was that Kang to LSW for the 3rd goal?

Also, why didn't Kang take a PK?

Do we play Ecuador next? They knocked out Uruguay.

11. Goal!!

Goal!! Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    LSW? He wasn't even in the team; he's been on the senior side. I heard Kang was injured late in the game. Yes, we play Ecuador in 2 days.

12. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    LKI was subbed out before the match went to the penalities.

13. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

What a rollercoaster of a match. The whole team showed so much maturity. I lost hope after Senegal made their 2nd PK that resulted in their 2-1 lead but our players immediately confided with Lee Gwangyeon. The grit it takes to carry that mentality of almost costing your team the game, to handling the PK shootout in the manner that he did, gives me great hope in Lee.

Moreover, Lee Kangin was instrumental in all three goals scored, including that beautiful pass at the end that gave us the 3-2 lead. I don't want to underestimate Ecuador but at the same time, its a winnable game. DAEHANMINGUK!

soul24rage, Boom and Testator repped this.
  14. itchyahn

itchyahn Member

Jul 22, 2007
  15. itchyahn

itchyahn Member

Jul 22, 2007
  16. Kenny South

Kenny South Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    South Korea
    May 25, 2019
    #116 Kenny South, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019

17. PacMan over again

South Korea
    Mar 4, 2018
    LOL looks like Kang has been eating too many churros :D

18. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    Wow. Now, I've had something resembling a night's sleep, and I am a bit calmer.

Marcellino better play LKI. I don't know how good Valencia's usual set piece takers are, but this star in the making is able to influence the game even when getting extended periods of possession becomes impossible. That's genius and will unified.

Might do a rant/analysis about tactics and my emotional rollercoaster during the match somewhat later, but here's a question: do U-20 players get exemptions from military service in case of a medal at the WC? If not, could the President issue a decree or something?

19. icinnercircle

icinnercircle Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    May 24, 2019

they would not get a military exemption. right now, the only tournaments that grant military exemptions for korean footballers are the asian games (must take 1st place) and the olympics (win any medal). the world cup does not offer the same. the korean nat’l team at the 2002 world cup were an exception.

20. Tagline

Tagline Member

Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    Jun 22, 2006
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Off topic, but does anyone know what happened to Moussa Ndiaye, the Senegalese CB who landed on his neck, played a few more minutes, then collapsed and got stretchered off?

That looked like a potential spinal cord injury, hopefully he's alright.

soul24rage, Boom and Testator repped this.
  21. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    #121 Testator, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Yesterday was a triumph of will, not tactics.

I don't know much about young Korean players, since it's hard to stay up and watch K-League. But from what I've seen this youth WC, the team in general cannot play possession football. Thus, it was not smart to try building out from the back over and over.

Up to the first Senegalese goal, I was at least happy that the 3 CB-s were clearing crosses OK. The problem was what happened afterwards. Midfielders trying to be clever, instead of going direct.

Senegalese were like tanks. They get in- they run the man in possession over. I was scared shitless every time a Korean other than O Se-hun tried to hold the ball up facing towards the Korean goal. Worse yet, several situations like this happened in the korean half! I knew a hard barge would cause a loss in possession.

Second half was the half of the trigger-happy ref. A bit of Korean initiative gets rewarded, but then a soft penalty for Senegal comes. That, and the retake shredded my nerves. Most worrying was the fact that the CB-s still didn't primarily hoof the ball up to the target man.

Twice I thought it was over, but the referee's VAR-fest kept the dream on life support. If I had been the referee, the Senegalese penalty would not have been given. But their goal after the scramble would've stood. Thank Dangun I wasn't, though?

The physicality and constant collisions+treatments piled up, the VAR piled up...and I see 9 minutes added on. I say: "Come on to f***, punt it up to O Se-hun!!!" but Korea couldn't exert sustained pressure.
    Up until that attack down the left. The player failed to get a cross in because he dithered. It had happened before, in a good situation for No. 18, I think?

The corner had been earned though, and I see time's almost up. "Either you score from this corner, or you go home."- I was pessimistic mostly. And then, it happens. A miracle. I had at first thought O Se-hun had headed it in, at first. It was Yi Ji-sol, the CB that had tried many passes, only to see them cut out by the Senegalese. Persevereance pays off, though?

I'm stunned, and I think of the lyrics to the Polish anthem- the place where the grandmother of comebacks is happening. It's Korea who has not perished yet. And her young men (not boys) soon launch a perfect counterattack, sending me into heaven. The passes were direct, and the shot was taken without delay. Physical contact was a no-no on the attack, and the players finally got it.

But, there are limits to the earthly bodies of these warriors. Bloody cramps. LKi has to go off. And Korea are forced to defend. It's looking OK, up until the point where a direct pass forward is required. Again dithering, again a lack of resolute clearances. And the battering ram cracks the gates in the last minute. F#$%!

"Well done Senegal, you might've just shattered Korean minds there.", I say. Croatia suffered this against Turkey in 2008, and lost on penalties. This could've been a repeat.

Before the shootout, the 1/4 of me that's not depressed says: "Koreans aren't Croats. It ain't over yet. LGY has solid reflexes. Damn that retake."
    But, reality strikes. KJM was the guy that couldn't get the block in time on the equalizer. He didn't have luck, either. The second Korean penalty points to a mental collapse. I'm half-tempted to turn the stream off. I stay watching, I have no idea why.

The pressure apparently affects Senegal, too, someone aimed too high. A bit of hope. Two lucky penalties follow. Then, I realize one thing. Korea's left WB (19) is right-footed. A bad idea by the manager, meant a lack of crosses. But his penalty is the best one so far for Korea. Kudos.

Then, hesitancy strikes from the Senegal number 9. He was thinking up to the last moment what to do. Bad choice! Yi Gwang-yeon saves! But the drama was just peaking.
    I had thought O Se-hun would be the guy to smash it down the middle. A decisive hammer in this fateful late hour. But no, he tries a fancy shot. I curse, annoyed at what happened. But...the ticked-off ref strikes again!! The big lad gets to retake. He thankfully comes to his senses this time around.

I didn't even realize that, if the last Senegalese player missed, it'd be over. Thus, when it happened, and the scorer of their 1. goal skied it over, I thought a Korean would have to score to seal the deal. To my confused delight, I was wrong.

Daehanminguk shall live to fight another day. Please practice direct counterattacks a bit. But rest today, rest well.

sogyeokdong, nmssis, Angel Bear and 5 others repped this.
  22. jessypjs

jessypjs Member+

May 3, 2010
    Club:
    AS Monaco FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  23. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC